Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #31  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Weights - You've been given wrong information.

Women do not 'bulk' on accident. Unless you're on steroids, lifting weights will not make you bigger. You can only benefit from doing so .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #32  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy23 View Post
I've been told by many people not to touch weights as the muscle will just "push out the fat more" and "make me heavier and bulkier". Is this always the case?
No. False. Depending on your genetics you'll be able to add muscle for a very short period of time but for the most part weight lifting will only help you retain the muscle that you have while you're dieting which is very helpful to continue losing weight the close you get to your goal.

You need to be prepared though that if you're focused only on weight that lifting weights will temporarily slow down scale loss. It does NOT slow down fat loss in fact in many cases it will accellerate fat loss. Again - don't focus on the scale. Take pictures and measurements.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #33  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

AGHLKJHALSHG Silly people, misinforming us women.

I need to take pictures of myself, proving that we DO NOT BULK UP when we lift heavy weights. I've been putting this off, but it's time for a nice, long, blog post I can show to people to refute that argument. You might be heavier, yes, but you won't look like you're heavier. Most people guess my weight at 90-100lbs. I weigh in consistently at 115-120 at any point during the day (haven't done a naked morning weigh-in in a while).

Does it matter what the scale says if everyone thinks you weigh less?

Lifting weights is one of the best things you can do for yourself when you're losing weight. Your body doesn't like losing weight and therefore it's going to ditch some muscle mass which you DON'T want to happen! Granted, you're not going to need all of your muscle mass when you're smaller, but you're certainly going to want some of it.

Right now you've built some great muscle in your legs just by living and moving; you want to keep that, right?

Otherwise you're doing fine! I know how crazy this whole weight loss thing can be and how it can seriously mess with your head! It's very, very, much a mental game as much as it is a physical game (perhaps even more) and we really don't even think of that. Oh and everyone has their own opinion. Of course, right?

FWIW I lost a good chunk of my weight on 1200ish calories a day. If you feel fine, don't feel deprived, etc., then keep at it. If you start feeling like you just can't handle it then you will definitely be able to bump up your calories and still lose (you can probably go beyond 2000 and still be fine). That's always great to know if you are just hungry or if you're going out with some friends or something. Remember, this is life! Don't forget to have fun!

Last edited by sontaikle; 04-05-2012 at 06:54 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #34  
Dimply and Huge

S/C/G: 325/200

Height: 5'6

1200 cals really seems like too few cals. The reason I say this is because eating so little is often unsustainable. I've set myself up many times eating very little and then binging because I'm so hungry. If it works for you fine, but just remember that you could eat more and still lose. I'm not sure if you're a binger or not (I am), but tread very carefully with such a low cal diet.
Resipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #35  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Be good to yourself and just keep going. Stop looking at the scale, it's not 100% right! It can't measure what's going on in your body! The scale did not move for over 3 months for me!! YES OVER 3 MONTHS! it finally fell this week down almost 8lbs in 2weeks! Go by meausrements and pictures, that's what kept me going and by how you feel. I have totally accelerated my exercise performance. Also I lift heavy. Women can not bulk up, we don't have the testosterone to do so. It's just not in our makeup! I weigh 185lbs and I can fit into a tight size 8! Lifting makes you compact, lean and strong. Hang in there and just keep going, don't starve yourself, maybe increase your calories so you feel good and stop obsessing over the scale! I know, so much easier said than done, but you have to realize that the scale doesn't always tell the ENTIRE TRUTH!!! Keep going!
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #36  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Water retention
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
AGHLKJHALSHG Silly people, misinforming us women.

I need to take pictures of myself, proving that we DO NOT BULK UP when we lift heavy weights. I've been putting this off, but it's time for a nice, long, blog post I can show to people to refute that argument. You might be heavier, yes, but you won't look like you're heavier. Most people guess my weight at 90-100lbs. I weigh in consistently at 115-120 at any point during the day (haven't done a naked morning weigh-in in a while).

Does it matter what the scale says if everyone thinks you weigh less?

Lifting weights is one of the best things you can do for yourself when you're losing weight. Your body doesn't like losing weight and therefore it's going to ditch some muscle mass which you DON'T want to happen! Granted, you're not going to need all of your muscle mass when you're smaller, but you're certainly going to want some of it.

Right now you've built some great muscle in your legs just by living and moving; you want to keep that, right?

Otherwise you're doing fine! I know how crazy this whole weight loss thing can be and how it can seriously mess with your head! It's very, very, much a mental game as much as it is a physical game (perhaps even more) and we really don't even think of that. Oh and everyone has their own opinion. Of course, right?

FWIW I lost a good chunk of my weight on 1200ish calories a day. If you feel fine, don't feel deprived, etc., then keep at it. If you start feeling like you just can't handle it then you will definitely be able to bump up your calories and still lose (you can probably go beyond 2000 and still be fine). That's always great to know if you are just hungry or if you're going out with some friends or something. Remember, this is life! Don't forget to have fun!
I can't agree more that it's very much a mental game, requiring lots of perseverance; which I really hope I have! I think one of the reasons I freak out so much about seemingly little things is my fear of not being able to lose; of being like this forever. I cut salt out of my diet and have been drinking TONS of water to ensure I avoid retaining excess water. But does it work that way? Can you retain water anyway?

And what sort of weights would you recommend? Where should I start? I definitely want to preserve the muscle I do have and avoid becoming gelatinous as I lose weight, lol. I've seen your goal pictures and you look fab, so believe me I'm listening!

I find the 1200 cals a day sustainable, mostly because it requires me to be accountable and stick within a certain amount per day. I feel like I need that sort of structure at the moment, but it's comforting to know if I eat a few extra I won't blow the whole caper!

Thanks for your guidance, you've helped a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipoo View Post
1200 cals really seems like too few cals. The reason I say this is because eating so little is often unsustainable. I've set myself up many times eating very little and then binging because I'm so hungry. If it works for you fine, but just remember that you could eat more and still lose. I'm not sure if you're a binger or not (I am), but tread very carefully with such a low cal diet.
I am a binger. I've avoided binging for nearly a month now (thank god; that last one was awful!) and I feel like I've grown accustomed to the rigid structure my current plan gives me. I can't say for sure whether it will be sustainable in the long-run. I really don't know. I feel like it is, but I know that anything could happen -- I feel fine now, but who knows how things will be tomorrow? If this starts to become too much I will up my calories. I'd rather that than give up for good. And this forum has been so helpful for me, I can't even say how much. I've never gotten this far before and this forum is why. I feel like if I'm going to stuff-up, or if I feel down and I want to quit, I'll just make a post here and you guys can always will offer great, real advice. Today was a mini (in retrospect, kinda dumb) freak-out, but the advice I got here really got me through the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMe View Post
Be good to yourself and just keep going. Stop looking at the scale, it's not 100% right! It can't measure what's going on in your body! The scale did not move for over 3 months for me!! YES OVER 3 MONTHS! it finally fell this week down almost 8lbs in 2weeks! Go by meausrements and pictures, that's what kept me going and by how you feel. I have totally accelerated my exercise performance. Also I lift heavy. Women can not bulk up, we don't have the testosterone to do so. It's just not in our makeup! I weigh 185lbs and I can fit into a tight size 8! Lifting makes you compact, lean and strong. Hang in there and just keep going, don't starve yourself, maybe increase your calories so you feel good and stop obsessing over the scale! I know, so much easier said than done, but you have to realize that the scale doesn't always tell the ENTIRE TRUTH!!! Keep going!
Everyone keeps telling me to measure myself and I'm REALLY going to make an effort to pick up a measuring tape; I just keep forgetting. I think that might really help me through the tough times.

I'm going to investigate where to start with weights. I've always quite enjoyed lifting (it makes me feel good) so it's so good to hear that what I've been told isn't accurate. Even my dad told me it would bulk me up (and he's experienced with weights so I thought he'd know what he was talking about). Anyway, thanks for your advice!

P.S. Congrats on your weight loss, you look great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapedself View Post
Water retention
Hope so.
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #38  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
I actually really, really enjoy weight-lifting. In fact, I love it. My dad has a weights machine and I've always enjoyed lifting weights (my dad has lots) but I've been told by many people not to touch weights as the muscle will just "push out the fat more" and "make me heavier and bulkier". Is this always the case?
NO. I am not an expert but the way I understand it is muscle helps burn more fat and helps boots your matibolism When I first started I had a trainer and a doctor tell me the best way to burn fat is to do cardo and weight training back to back or at least in the same day.
If you like weight lifting, do it! It will help tone and sulpt your body and help tone lose skin. I love lifting too. I have a weight machine I use 5 days a week and I also use my eleptical or a DVD before/after I use the weight machine.
Anyway, if you want to lift weights. Do it!

Last edited by NEMom; 04-05-2012 at 10:04 AM.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #39  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

A couple of thoughts.

I've been eating 1200 since I started. If that's maintainable for you, there's no reason to eat more imo.

Not losing anything for 3 days is normal. It can become even more common as you keep going so if you're going to weigh every day, be prepared for it to happen. When I started, I was losing 15lbs a month, and usually something every day. Now, I don't lose every day, but somehow, when I look at the end of the month, I've still managed to keep losing at least 10lbs a month.

Sometimes if you've eaten something with a reasonable amount of carbs, you'll just not see a change. It may take a day or two to release the water weight you've gotten by those carbs.

About water - we normally hear that lots of water is good, and it usually is. How much is "tons of water" for you? Gallons of water a day isn't good, especially if you are cutting out salt. Our bodies do need some salt to survive.

Last edited by Vex; 04-05-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #40  
on a mission

S/C/G: 294/restart!!!

Height: 5'1

One of the best info threads I read in awhile. Thanks JohnP, Sontaikle, & InsideMe! I always look forward to yalls posts!
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy23 View Post
I suppose I just have a nagging fear that no matter how much effort I put in I will always remain fat.
Just remind yourself that your body is not exempt from the laws of physics. If you take in less energy than you use, you WILL lose weight. End of story.

In another post, someone quoted a weight-loss doctor who said that in all his years of practice, he has NEVER seen anyone fail to lose weight on a hospital-supervised weight loss regimen. And those regimens are not extreme -- they're just consistent and there is no opportunity to "cheat."

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 04-05-2012 at 02:07 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 190.8/see sig/<165

Height: 5 ft 11

Resipoo- I am just starting counting calories and have been trying to do 1200 + 1/2 of my excercise calories I get to eat back. Wondering about more info on whether 1200 would be too few for me. I dont want to sabatage myself by being too low, but I want to start out losing 2lbs a week, especially since I know weightloss will slow down in the future. I'm just shy of 5'11" and weight 183 lbs. Is 1200 as a goal for non excercise days too low?

Others have thoughts on this?
wannaBfitnessbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #43  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaBfitnessbuff View Post
Resipoo- I am just starting counting calories and have been trying to do 1200 + 1/2 of my excercise calories I get to eat back. Wondering about more info on whether 1200 would be too few for me. I dont want to sabatage myself by being too low, but I want to start out losing 2lbs a week, especially since I know weightloss will slow down in the future. I'm just shy of 5'11" and weight 183 lbs. Is 1200 as a goal for non excercise days too low?

Others have thoughts on this?
I personally think 1200 is to low for anyone who isn't really short and skinny. Given your height, I'd up your calories to at least 1450-1550 net.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 190.8/see sig/<165

Height: 5 ft 11

Candeka- Thanks. I have been wondering about that. But since this is my first calorie counting time. (Besides not even day long attempts in the past) I wasn't sure. I use my fitnesspal and it recomends that I eat 1200 a day if I want to lose 2 lbs a week. But in the back of my mind I wondered if that feasible for someone my height and weight. That and I was afraid of having no place to go if it stops working. I know you shouldn't eat less than 1200, so what would I do? I think I will take your advice and shoot for 1500, but not eat extra for working out unless its a long run day. (i.e. 8 miles or further).
wannaBfitnessbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #45  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

If you feel fine on 1200, more power to you . I just worry about people having problems getting enough nutrition in. I eat about that many, but on an entirely whole foods diet, carefully tracking my macronutrients. I eat more on days I lift. Just be careful that you're getting everything you need .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote