Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Saving calories for ice cream?

I haven't really been watching my calorie intake or working out too much lately and I'm wondering if it's time for me to ease up on myself some to get back on track.

So, let's say I really want to have...a Snickers Ice Cream bar...300 calories. Would it be horrible if I saved 300 calories for one a day until I get sick of them? >.>
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/175/140

Height: 5'3

I have personally found it is easier to just have the "treat" I am having a craving for and work out an extra 30 minutes that day or the next....we have to learn to eat and live in the real world...and sometimes that real world includes a snickers bar!! enjoy the treat...I just don't think it makes sense to have one a day....I would enjoy it more if it was once a week or less. Congrats on your awesome weight loss so far BTW!! You must be doing something right!!
jajomo0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

If it's in your calorie budget, ya, have one! I save calories for special treats a few times a week. Sometimes beer or wine, sometimes a cupcake, stuff like that! As long as it's something that isn't going to be a trigger for me to overeat (like chips, for me), I definitely save calories for things!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Weight Watchers Lifetime Member here. Maintaining.

We go a week at a time, with an allowance built in for treats or splurges or any unexpected situations.

While I wouldn't do a Snickers Ice Cream everyday, I would build it into my plan, say twice a month and enjoy it!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

If you can just have one and not have it send you off plan (which is what would happen to me), then go for it. Keep in mind that having something that is very high in sugar spikes your blood sugar up and then there is a crash which stimulates hunger later. Not everyone is as sensitive to sugar as some people, but that's how it is for me.....I think it's worth trying and if it works, then having it once a week as a treat is not a problem at all.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

I eat ice cream almost every night. Only 100ish cals worth, but real, full-fat, full-calorie ice cream.

I have only gone over my daily calories a few times in over a year of tracking daily. Knowing I have the treat to look forward to at the end of the day helps keep me on track.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #7  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana77 View Post
I eat ice cream almost every night. Only 100ish cals worth, but real, full-fat, full-calorie ice cream.

I have only gone over my daily calories a few times in over a year of tracking daily. Knowing I have the treat to look forward to at the end of the day helps keep me on track.
i do this on the nights when i work out. i just smirk at my husband and tell him it's my protein after exercise. i only have a small scoop. i am an ice cream fiend!
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #8  

That's 300 calories a day of food with no nutritional value - what a waste of calories. You don't reward yourself with food ever if you want to be successful. Maybe once a week would be more realistic.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #9  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
That's 300 calories a day of food with no nutritional value - what a waste of calories. You don't reward yourself with food ever if you want to be successful. Maybe once a week would be more realistic.

Ya know, I just gotta say it: many times I find your posts "not helpful."
But then again, you've had tremendous success with your own weight loss, so yay you!

Personally, I get a treat EVERY day. I switch it up; sometimes it's a jello pudding, sometimes a fudge bar, sometimes half a chocolate bar, sometimes a fried chicken leg! -whatever!! I make sure it fits into my calorie allotment. Why? Because I'm COUNTING CALORIES. So it works. FOR ME.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #10  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

I agree food shouldn't be a reward for staying on plan.

I do believe, however, that if you want ice cream - have ice cream! Fit it into your calories allotment, but don't think of it as a reward. Quilter is right though that it's not the best nutritional choice out there.

I'm an ice cream addict though and have a 150 cal ice cream sandwich every day, so I'm pretty biased towards this topic.

Last edited by Vex; 03-28-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #11  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
Ya know, I just gotta say it: many times I find your posts "not helpful."
But then again, you've had tremendous success with your own weight loss, so yay you!

Personally, I get a treat EVERY day. I switch it up; sometimes it's a jello pudding, sometimes a fudge bar, sometimes half a chocolate bar, sometimes a fried chicken leg! -whatever!! I make sure it fits into my calorie allotment. Why? Because I'm COUNTING CALORIES. So it works. FOR ME.
I don't know... I see it both ways, although I agree that the delivery could be a little less brash.

I definitely make room for occasional sweet treats if I want something, but I do find sugar to be a slippery slope. A small daily treat too easily can become a larger daily treat. Plus, I work so hard lifting weights that I've really started to view my food more as fuel for my workouts.

That being said, for me, my non-negotiable daily item is coffee with full-fat half and half. No sugar, but that's just because I don't like it. Would some people freak out about drinking that many of their daily calories (usually 160, but today it was 240)? Sure. But they're not me and I don't care. My coffee is important to me, and I make room for it.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #12  
...and I need to dance!

S/C/G: 176.6/144.4/140

Height: 5'3"

I don't build treats into my daily calories, but if I feel like having a treat, and I have enough calories left for it, I will. Same thing with alcohol.
SisterFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #13  

Try it, if it works for you and you are getting progress (prob worth trying for at least 2 weeks) then thats great.
But don't count on ever getting sick of them! delish food can taste delish for a long long time haha
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberries View Post
I don't know... I see it both ways, although I agree that the delivery could be a little less brash.

I definitely make room for occasional sweet treats if I want something, but I do find sugar to be a slippery slope. A small daily treat too easily can become a larger daily treat. Plus, I work so hard lifting weights that I've really started to view my food more as fuel for my workouts.

That being said, for me, my non-negotiable daily item is coffee with full-fat half and half. No sugar, but that's just because I don't like it. Would some people freak out about drinking that many of their daily calories (usually 160, but today it was 240)? Sure. But they're not me and I don't care. My coffee is important to me, and I make room for it.
I know that realistically I should count something. Carbs or Cals (since pasta and bread are a weakness it's probably carbs) But you said something here that bears repeating:

I've really started to view my food more as fuel for my workouts.

We have such a culture around food as a social activity that we often times overlook this very basic truth about food. Ultimately it is fuel for our bodies. Our EMOTIONS often make it more than that but we often don't let our bodies think about food for us. *thumbs up*
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #15  
One day at a time..

S/C/G: 264/ticker/150

Quote:
Not for nothing, but a post like this makes me feel I will never be able to maintain a thinner self.
MizCandula is offline   Reply With Quote