Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #16  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

I just bought a new scale that measures body fat. It says I'm at 31% which is a few points higher than I got using an online calculator. My weight is 174 so it seems about right, since I do some strength training. I hope to get to the mid-20s, eventually.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #17  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Well, I've been doing it a few more days and trying to do it with normal parameters to get more accurate Readings and I am getting 27 and 28 percent. I'm feeling pretty good about that. That is "acceptable" fat percentage. I will feel fit and better when I get it to 24% or perhaps lower. I do cardio and strength training too.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #18  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I don't know how accurate my scale is... but it says I'm at 26% at 163 lbs. Would love to get it in the low 20's.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #19  
blah

S/C/G: 145/131.8/115

Height: 5'4"

make that 25.5%
unpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #20  
Melissa

I just did an online body fat calculator and it gave me 34%. I knew it would be higher than my scale's reading. It doesn't k ow if those measurements arre from fat or bone or muscle. Not that the scale is that accurate either.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #21  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Not that the scale is that accurate either.
Horrible inaccurate actually but they are good for measuring progress over time. Even hydrostatic weighing is not completely accurate and has a range of error.

I spent $50 to be hydrostatically weighed and it said I was 12% BF - plus I almost downed myself. I'm not 12% and I'd like to live a little longer.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:21 AM   #22  
Vegetarian college girl

S/C/G: 185/157/140

Height: 5'9"

I'm at like 29% lol. 156 lb now.

Goal is like 22% maybe? I'm not sure yet... I have the body fat percentage measurer that you hold and it sends a current through your body. You have to calibrate it to your body specs, age, etc. It's really good. I got it off Amazon
wtfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #23  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Horrible inaccurate actually but they are good for measuring progress over time. Even hydrostatic weighing is not completely accurate and has a range of error.

I spent $50 to be hydrostatically weighed and it said I was 12% BF - plus I almost downed myself. I'm not 12% and I'd like to live a little longer.
I figured I would use it more for progress as yes, inaccurate they are. I looked up where I started. 49.8 percent body fat. So, seeing 24-32 on the body fat percentages now is vastly improved from the many readings near 50% I had 11 months ago.

For me, I weigh so much that it's hard to feel secure about weighing 165 as a final weight when most women this height would feel they are fat at that weight. I won't and I would feel better really knowing that my body fat would be at a good spot even though on the scale I would still be considered overweight if using BMI guidelines. It's all those demons in the head that will still say it's still not good enough.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #24  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I figured I would use it more for progress as yes, inaccurate they are. I looked up where I started. 49.8 percent body fat. So, seeing 24-32 on the body fat percentages now is vastly improved from the many readings near 50% I had 11 months ago.

For me, I weigh so much that it's hard to feel secure about weighing 165 as a final weight when most women this height would feel they are fat at that weight. I won't and I would feel better really knowing that my body fat would be at a good spot even though on the scale I would still be considered overweight if using BMI guidelines. It's all those demons in the head that will still say it's still not good enough.

I'm like that at times too. I'm pretty freaking happy where I am now. I'm not done but I'm happy. However, at our height/weight I've definitely seen women on here complain about how fat they are and use it as their starting weight. I know you know all about frame size/muscle mass etc so I won't repeat that all to you but just commiserate that it can be hard when you carry your weight differently.

I think this is one reason I've also been interested in getting my body fat tested too. I don't feel like my scale tells the whole story. It's frustrating when sometimes there are threads out there about "how can so-and-so possibly wear clothing size X at this weight... surely she must be lying/it's just ONE outfit that she fits in, in that size etc". The whole big-boned myth or how the idea that curves=plus-sized doesn't help matters either because people now don't accept someone saying that they're curvy and big-boned as a reason for not being slim.

In the end if it really bothers you, you can always tell others how many clothing sizes you dropped due to weight loss or your total pounds lost. Nobody needs to know your final number. I think you've mentioned before that your doctor is quite happy with where you're at and that carries much more weight than somebody else's body image issues OR if they are overweight or not at a certain weight.

In a way I'm lucky, one of my best friends from high school is the same height as me and has a drastically, drastically different build. She's about as small boned as they come and can't weigh much over 100lbs. I don't think I would be alive at that weight! But I knew her well enough to know that she was healthy for her and back when I knew her I was also at a very healthy weight for me (~140lbs). Certainly one could see the 40lb different in our frame/body types BUT nobody would have said I was fat or overweight (actually I looked quite fit then!). We just have to learn to accept that some women's bodies are drastically different from our own and what is a healthy/happy weight for them might not even be close to our own healthy/happy weight.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote