Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #16  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Who ordered the pizza? Used to love pizza and I suppose I still do but eating pizza dipped in ranch dressing is partly how I got up to 300lbs. I haven't had any pizza in almost 2 years.

If you lack the will power to just have one slice don't put yourself in front of any pizza. I don't, so I don't.

There are a lot of really tasty foods out there you can enjoy in volume. Eat those instead. Chalk it up as lessons learned and move on.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

I am seriously considering doing WW again because I so love their online tracker.

As for activity, I am a walker. If I can't get outside, I like WATP DVDs.

My brother has been losing weight for a while now and he also treats himself to a meal out on the weekends. Even if he doesn't go off his plan, he tries to go out somewhere nice - or at least someplace he likes to go. I think I'll have to follow your and his lead in that. It seems to be working!

I get totally overwhelmed trying to work in a large variety. I have to plan ahead or I find myself in the grocery store with no CLUE what to buy or where to go. There's just so much - and I always either over buy or under buy or I will buy the Whatever because it just looks so fresh and amazing and I don't have a game plan of what to do with it when I get home and I HATE waste.

John, I'm not normally a huge pizza fan, I don't know WHAT happened. Part of it was waiting so late to eat, I was STARVING so I quickly wolfed down several pieces and I guess I just thought...oh why not. In for a penny. I know there are some things I just can't have in the house (like hummus, for example, I can eat a whole container of it) because they are ALL I can think about. I guess I'm going to have to add pizza to the list.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #18  
Embracing the suck

I had quite a humus binge right before thanksgiving ... it started with alchohol and the next thing you know ...

Old 01-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #19  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Who ordered the pizza? Used to love pizza and I suppose I still do but eating pizza dipped in ranch dressing is partly how I got up to 300lbs. I haven't had any pizza in almost 2 years.

If you lack the will power to just have one slice don't put yourself in front of any pizza. I don't, so I don't.

There are a lot of really tasty foods out there you can enjoy in volume. Eat those instead. Chalk it up as lessons learned and move on.
i never understood the pizza and ranch thing...i'm curious, have either of you ever tried to make low cal versions of stuff you really like? i sometimes make mock pizza on english muffins or on low-cal tortillas. i'm from the east coast, and me and my friend would randomly drive to philly from nyc JUST for philly cheesesteaks (tony luke's all the way!). so i make a low cal version of that too. will i never ever eat a real philly cheesesteak (well, i don't have access to philly at the moment), no i'm sure i will, but i think over the past few months, i've shown myself that i can have something i really like, enjoy it, and move on. but it's taken me a LONG time to get here.

i really like ww online. it's cheap(er) than going to meetings, and i like the structure. personally, i lack the discipline to calorie count myself. after spending most of my life going on and off "diets" and other programs, i know that something structured yet flexible is something that works for me. too much structure makes me feel deprived, too little and i lose my way.

as far as grocery shopping, i find that planning my meals for the week eliminates my guess work. also, since i'm on a tight budget, i usually plan my meals with what's on sale at the store, and what's in my pantry. i usually always have staples like tuna, beans, rice, pasta, canned tomatoes, garlic, and seasonings and oils in my pantry, so i don't need to buy those very often. if there happens to be a good sale on chicken, ground beef (lean), or other meats i'll buy some extra to freeze, but otherwise, i'll just buy whatever fruits and veggies, dairy and snacks that i might need. also, i'm just shopping for me
also, to elminate "waste", don't be afraid to freeze things. i've had to cook and freeze things because i've had so much left over...lol. it worked out ok.

Last edited by fillupthesky; 01-27-2011 at 07:55 PM.
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #20  

I have never done the pizza and Ranch thing, but it was popular in my high school caf (back in the days when I would have starved to death before being seen eating in public, the horror!).

I have tried healthier versions of stuff I like, but I can't get behind the english muffin pizza. I have tried. I think in future if I want pizza, I need to order when there are enough people around to NOTICE if I eat more than my two pieces (stand by for my new diet book, Make Friends With Your Shame). I'm already a fan of thin crust, light on the cheese, and extra veg...you just can't eat a WHOLE one and call that normal.

Other things, I can compromise on and I'm a big fan of Cooking Light for ideas...but I'm more likely to use less of something real (cheese, for example) than to use a fake version.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #21  

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I just ate a whole medium pizza. Who does that?
Aww heck, my 8 year old would eat a medium pizza if I let him. Not to minimize your pain, but you are so not alone here!
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 155/150/129

Height: 5'4''

I regularly do this, using a medium pizza divided into a lunch and dinner course. I eat steamed veggies (from those awesome frozen steam-in-the-bag things grocery stores sell now!) and salads to fulfill my veggie requirements, in addition to ordering lots of veggies (and/or pineapple) on my pizza. Due to recent lactose sensitivity issues I've had to cut way back on dairy products, so I seriously have ordered medium Domino's pizzas with extra sauce and no cheese. Another pizza place around where I live has a whole-grain crust option too (they call it a "hippie pizza" lol).

If you're really into cheese (no question that dairy products have major health benefits) you can always order with light cheese. If I am somewhere (like a meeting with free pizza as an attendance incentive, for example) that I can't control what's on it, I pick off toppings and eat them, remove the cheese, and then eat the bread/sauce part. I get funny looks and comments but explaining it away with a medical problem (whether or not you have one!) usually quiets them.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I refuse to associate pizza consumption (or any consumption for that matter) with guilt.

Medical note: If pizza is a trigger mechanism for binging then the story changes, and the mental reasons behind it need to be more closely examined - this is a much bigger issue than just pizza. This is outside our realm now, and is best addressed by medical professionals.
callie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #23  

I like to make pita pizzas when I have a craving. I take a whole wheat pita, load it up with veggies, some tomato sauce, and low fat mozzerella cheese. Absolutely delicious!

Hang in there
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #24  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

You can have healthy pizza!

Mushrooms, peppers, onions, black olives, Canadian bacon, turkey pepperoni, add a bit of tomato juice, oregano, heat up. garlic toast, Sara Lee 45 calorie a slice, 2 slices, toss a 2 oz serving of mozzerla on the toast or the fixings. It's yummy, and nixes all the cals in regular pizza!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #25  
Set and determined...

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'6"

You can make "pizza" sandwiches in a sandwich maker. Bread, a tiny bit of pizza sauce, a bit of cheese, and a slice of pepperoni. So yummy and a good portion size so you can't eat too much.

(Think grilled cheese but add pizza sauce and pepperoni or other "toppings")
Call Me Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:08 AM   #26  
trying to impress myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I have tried healthier versions of stuff I like, but I can't get behind the english muffin pizza. I have tried. I think in future if I want pizza, I need to order when there are enough people around to NOTICE if I eat more than my two pieces (stand by for my new diet book, Make Friends With Your Shame). I'm already a fan of thin crust, light on the cheese, and extra veg...you just can't eat a WHOLE one and call that normal.

Other things, I can compromise on and I'm a big fan of Cooking Light for ideas...but I'm more likely to use less of something real (cheese, for example) than to use a fake version.
i'm usually not a fan of fake stuff. like i won't use fat free anything (unless its like a ice cream or pudding type thing). i will use low fat or reduced calorie. i sometimes feel like they use more junk to make it taste "right" in the ff stuff than in the light versions. and yes, portion control is always a challenge!!

Quote:
I like to make pita pizzas when I have a craving. I take a whole wheat pita, load it up with veggies, some tomato sauce, and low fat mozzerella cheese. Absolutely delicious!
love that too!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #27  

All this talk about pizza has put me in mind of summer tomatoes...and how far away they are. I usually grow them in pots as a little project with my daughter and last year we didn't because we were in the process of trying to sell our house and eleventy bajillion tomato, pepper, and herb plants all over the back patio would've been hard to move every time we had to show. I LOVE tomatoes and basil...so much more than pizza.

It's so weird, if there hadn't been pizza here then I never would have even thought about it. I almost never think, Oh hey, I must have pizza RIGHT NOW. I only ate it because it was here. So lesson learned. Never order more pizza than you have people to consume it.

I am WAY more likely to crave a Caprese salad than a pizza. I am craving it right now. Wonder if I can track down some descent tomatoes today?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #28  

S/C/G: HW303/TICKER/GW135

Height: 5'8"

I saw the title of this post and just had to read it LOL I have totally ate a whole medium pizza, many, many, many times. I've also eaten entire bags of chips, bags of cookies, and numerous other junkish things in mass quantities in one sitting. Ugh... like a piggy to a trough! hahah

I love that you put it out there like that with such honesty. Good for you!

I agree with finding healthier ways to enjoy the foods you love and I think that it is OK to indulge now and then. If you want that regular pizza, then just get a little personal one and then you won't feel so bad for eating it all.

I would love to be your buddy. If you have aim/yahoo that would be cool to chat there if you would like. Let me know
ThinningVegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #29  
Embracing the suck

Healthy pizza sounds like a pretty good idea. Not sure why I had not thought of it before.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #30  
trying to impress myself

nite, how is it going today?