Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 AM   #16  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

We've been married for 22 years, and aside from supporting me through two fights with cancer, he's now putting up with me blathering on about nutrition and exercise and 3FC! He'll eat anything, so no problem with the healthier foods I cook for dinner. But he's also reminded me a couple of times of the healthier choices that are available, or he'll run out at 6:30 a.m. to get me a healthier breakfast if I notice at the last minute that there's nothing here (because the teenager and his friends are eating us out of house and home!). He's a quiet supporter, in mostly actions rather than words. It's comfy.

I have to say my 16 year old is also supportive. Any time I look at his Oreos or his chips with longing, he'll ask me if I want to do 3 hours of boot camp with him at school tomorrow. It's his own endearing way of reminding me that he's a lot more active than I am (yes, he does do 3 hrs of boot camp daily), and that I shouldn't compare; he's teaching me to say 'no' in a very real way. Love them both to pieces!
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #17  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

You guys have sweet husbands!

I am starting to think mine prefers me chunky. He makes comments about not getting anorexic, losing my boobs or butt... etc and then offers me crap food all the time (which I am pretty good at resisting). He's deployed right now and it feels like a break from the constant battle!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #18  
Blessed!

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'9

I have a great hubby. He's always quick to encourage and support me. Even at this size, I've never felt unattractive to him. He's always telling me how beautiful I am. I've grilled him many, many times and he tells me he honestly doesn't care how much I weigh or how many rolls I have, he still thinks I'm stunning. He said if I feel that I want to lose weight, he'll support me, but not to do it for him. What a guy.

As to food, he's pretty supportive. He loves to snack, though, and he always offers me some. But, like some previous posters have said, it helps me exercise my will power to say no. Luckily, the stuff he likes to snack on aren't usually up my alley anyway.
shellsbrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #19  
it IS all about me!!!

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/165ish

Height: 5'8"

Thank you so much for sharing, Chickies! It looks like most of us have pretty supportive SOs!

I should have mentioned that my 21-year-old son lives at home and he's great, too. He'll go walking with me in the evenings and, while he and his GF eat 'cockroach food' and it's in the house, I've learned to ignore it. They don't eat it in front of me, and if there are leftovers (pizza, for example) it goes in the little dorm fridge in his bedroom. I'm very fortunate.

ValRock said:
Quote:
I am starting to think mine prefers me chunky. He makes comments about not getting anorexic, losing my boobs or butt... etc and then offers me crap food all the time (which I am pretty good at resisting). He's deployed right now and it feels like a break from the constant battle!
He may be afraid that you'll get all thin and smokin' hot and some other guy will snatch you away from him while he's deployed. I think a lot of men tend to think that way. Once he realizes that your weight loss isn't a threat to him he will probably be more supportive.

Hugs to all,
Robin
RobinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #20  
Stubborn

S/C/G: 195/1175/145

Height: 5'5"

*RobinD* "he's a string bean with the metabolism of a jackrabbit on crack" best quote ever.

Some of these stories are hilarious. My fiance is the typical man- he tries to help, usually by hindering. When the scale went up instead of down this week he bought me an ice cream to make me feel better. at least my scolding him burned a few extra calories

He decided to jump on the band wagon with me, and has been eating what I cook but he's 11 inches taller and 150Lbs heavier so he can slather all his food in delicious sauce and still be 600 calories under his limit a day! cal-calculators give him 2600 calories a day for 'extreme weight loss'
He also thinks constantly trying to have sex with me is the same as a complement.... at least he means well!
As for snacking- he never snacks in the house but I often find wrappers in his car from the coffee-shop. He's not much for being sneaky. I think he eats more at work then he claims because he isn't loosing much at all. I don't really mind though- I like him chubby
Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #21  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I LOVE my guy. He has loved me thru thin, and thick and thinner again.
He loves me however I look. He supports my weight loss for a healthier me. I know he prefers me thinner, but as he said, when we decided to make things permanent, that I wouldn't be the same woman in a few years. Kids and age make us all look different, and he wanted what was inside. Its been years since he said anything about my weight.
He doesn't cook how I want him to cook, doesn't make as much salad as I would like. But he doesn't bring a lot of junk food home, and he doesn't push me into bad eating.
He comes for a walk with me anytime, and tells me he loves me every day.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:07 AM   #22  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

My boyfriend is super supportive. I love him. He never says anything about noticing my progress or anything, just "Wow, you're doing such a great job!" or "I'm so proud of you, you don't even know." things like that. It's not that he doesn't notice my progress, it's that he doesn't care. He still loved me and was attracted to me when I gained, and he still is now. Size doesn't matter to him, and that's a really awesome thing

He eats my food too, and likes it. But he will bring junk food home, not often, but he does it. Not to tempt me, just not thinking like "Oh look these cakes were buy one get one at work!!" And then he realizes what he did and feels bad lol. But he doesn't encourage me to eat junk, or tell me not to (though he's offered, which I don't need a keeper, I would just bite his head off if he did it cos once I decide to eat something off plan my mind is made up.) He also lets me drag him on walks, especially in the beginning. He would let me babble about 3FC and my plans and just everything. When I had my breakthrough moment in the beginning, he showed me this thing called smart goals he learned in a psych class at school and helped me map out small goals and he even went to my first few WW meetings with me.

He's the greatest and I'm soooo lucky to have someone like him in my life. Wow sorry I wrote so much... dang.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 14st6lb/12st12lb/10st0lb

Height: 5foot1

Can I borrow your husbands? Mine still buys crap food and takeaways and tries to encourage me to eat them with him "just this once" and he refuses to eat the same as me meaning that I have to cook two different meals and I invariably fancy his more.
I suppose he's thrying to help by saying I am as sexy as ever when I ask if I look any different but ho hum, I knew what he was like when I married him!
mrstanyagregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I never thought my SO was all that supportive, but it was because I wasn't seeking out his approval or depending on him to be my motivation. The food part, he doesn't see most of. I always did the shopping, meal prep, packed the lunches, etc. He never saw me eating my crutch foods, I did all that at work. The grocery bill went up, and he went ballistic, but the savings realized from me cutting out breakfast/lunch out, snacks and sodas at work, and the afternoon candy bar have evened that out.

He goes for a walk with us every night without complaining, even though he does a physical job all day, because I told him I wanted the family to do it. Enough said.

He remarks on my weight loss and while he thinks he's complimenting me, sometimes it doesn't sound that way. But his actions, attention, both in and out of the bedroom, encourage me that he is noticing and not taking me for granted.

So, I guess all in all he is supporting me in exactly the way I need him to.
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #25  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

My DH is very supportive of my weightloss efforts and success. I must admit that at first, his compliments were a bit awkward, but he has gotten much better with time -- he's not perfect, but who is?

I am in charge of all the food; buying and cooking, etc -- so there is no problem there. He will eat anything I cook or make except salad, but that is OK -- more for me to have for the next 2 days or so. I make a healthier version of everything -- so he now eats more veggies than he ever did before in his life; and I haven't had one complaint yet. On the odd occasion, I will make something slightly different for myself, ie a chicken burger for me and a lean beef one for him, but that's no big deal for me.

Our grocery bill did go up, which did concern him at first (he's a bit cheap) but after awhile, I found other ways to save money to help with that. Now, he doesn't say anything one way or another; and that's a good thing!

He will walk with me if I ask him too; and does most of the time anyways. Over time, he has gotten much better about not buying or bringing his favorite junkies into the house. I buy him some stuff that I know that I don't like anyways but he puts all his stuff into a very high cubby anyways (which shows his support). He also lost some weight from eating healthier, but he didn't really need to @ 125 lbs.

Overall, I am glad that he is so supportive -- yet at the same time, he doesn't get overly involved in it either (like some ladies here mentioned). He is willing to listen to my yakking about nutrition as well; although I often wonder if he is really paying attention ... I know that I am fortunate.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #26  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

My hubby is awesome. If I made a frozen bag dinner in the microwave every night - he would be happy I was "cooking dinner". He won't complain if I cook the same thing over and over. And he find himself something to eat on nights when I don't feel like cooking at all. He grill meats when I ask and sometimes just offers. He will comment when he can really notice I am losing weight. He rubs my shoulders in the evenings (even though he works a lot and is tired himself) when I want to relax and don't want to do so by snacking on junk. He will buy groceries if I give him a list (and he will stick to the list!)

I love my hubby.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #27  
futuremamachick

S/C/G: 280/210/150

Height: 5'6

My hubby is wonderful and supportive!

I started my journey back in March on my own (DH was not on board and I wasn't going to convince him).

Well, I started dropping the pounds and by April he started eating what I cooked and worked out every day with me. He has now lost 40 pounds and sometimes I think he is even more of a stickler than me. It is so nice to have someone to do this with.
steph15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #28  

Height: 5'8"

Mine had never been very helpful until he went to the Dr last month and came back with very high cholesterol and blood pressure...

NOW HE'S A PITA ABOUT THIS DIETING GIG

It's a good thing, really... I'm sure.

BlueFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #29  
~~transforming Diva~

S/C/G: 368-heaviest 299/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

I love hearing all these stories!! My guy is very supportive as well...We are in a LDR and he is much younger then me. He had mentioned one day that he was going to head back to the gym and I had been thinking about it as well becaue I had been feeling icky and fatigued and lethargic..so one day I was on my way to walmart to buy a comforter and i drove by the rec center...i chose a fitness membership over the comforter...i told him and he was like, " sweet now we can work out together when i am there.." we talked about other things and hung up. He called back about an hour later and said he needed to ask me a question. He asked, "baby, you aren't doing this cuz I said I was going to the gym, cuz i love you and your body is beautiful to me and I didn't want you to feel bad." I was like no, i did it cuz i had the money and i am tired of feeling crappy. now I get a wealth of weight training info and food info and it has been wonderful!!!
WillsAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:20 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

mines very supportive!!! i have been walking our dogs by my self we walk about 4-10 km almost every day. He has started to come along!!! WOOT WOOT! Also been looking at cook books bought a few with me and we're trying recipes and he tries to find LIGHT things even though he hates light or less fat stuff he tries thats all i can ask!
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote