Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #16  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
I have no idea why it would be in bread? I make my own bread (in the breadmaker) and most recipes call for 2 T sugar/honey/maple syrup/molasses in a 2 lb loaf. Bread does need sugar because the yeast needs something to "feed" off of. Maybe the reason the manufacturers use it in place of regular sugars is because it is cheaper?
thanks, losermom. sorry, i was in a mood/rant last night when i typed that. i was referring to this comment below, which i totally agree/empathize with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
Argh! It's in EVERYTHING! I searched high and low for the one brand of WHOLE wheat hamburger buns at my supermarket, but I just checked, and guess what? HFCS. Bleh.
i think it probably does have something to do with money. i have just been really irritated lately that the system is set up a such a way that makes things so difficult. so many things have something in them that is just not natural and not real, including hfcs, partially hydrogenated oils, olestra, aspartame, saccharin, etc.

it can make finding the things that are real and whole like some kind of scavenger hunt. i had a friend whose grandparents were almost 100 years old (who were very healthy/healthy weights and only occassionally bought snacks) and thought they were buying a bag of plain chips, ended up getting sick, and my friend found that the chips had olestra in them, and had to explain to them what that meant. they had no idea what that was. when they were growing up, food was food, not chemicals. even the occassional snack foods were still, food. that's just one isolated example of how people often don't know what they are eating, if for no other reason than they would never even dream that something like that was in their "food." and of course, the other example, of someone from a different generation, who is actively making healthy choices and then finding that hfcs is in what is supposed to be healthy whole grain bread.

so i was just on a rant (maybe i still am). sorry for hijacking the thread.

Last edited by skygirl; 07-21-2010 at 12:19 PM.
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #17  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygirl View Post
it's in what otherwise looks like a "healthy whole grain" bread. why? what is that about? ok, sorry for the rant.
There's one brand that has "no HFCS" on the label. But that same brand also sells bread, also whole grain, that does have HFCS. Pretty much with bread I double check the labels every time I buy it. Arnold's is the one brand I can always count on but the store I shop at doesn't always have it.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #18  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirene View Post
Back in May, we decided to cut HFCS from our diet, which took some major doing, as yes, it is in *everything* or so it seems sometimes!

I was 274 back then. Went to the dr's yesterday and I was 252. Have also been walking several times a week, but I do feel cutting out the HFCS had a lot to do with it.
It's not in *everything*. It's not in any whole foods.

I cut out most HFCS as well a few years back, as well as cleaned up my diet. My cholesterol dropped 125 points in two years without medication. And I only dropped 25#.

I've been slipping lately, though, as I've been pretty lazy about my diet and eating some processed foods. Yuck.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #19  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

So in my goal to eat more healthy I have been researching HFCS and I am convinced that in the next few decades this is going to become the new "anti" campaign like smoking was throughout the 60's-80's.

This stuff is horrible for the body and know wonder we all are overweight. Manufacturers started using this product in mass around the start of the 1980's and look at Americans now, we have blown up like a balloon. Everybody has, even if you were thin as a young person with the mass consumption of this product even the thinest of person's has a chance of gaining an excess amount of weight.

My child is really tiny and short but I tell her she needs to be careful of what she eats and read the labels, of course she rolled her eyes at me.

So I am trying to make healthy food choices and avoid this stuff and you know what I found out, IT"S HARD. Even the stuff that is healthy can have HFCS in it, so unless I switch to a cucumber and carrot diet, it's hard to avoid.

My advise to anyone trying to lose weight, avoid all 'sugar" drinks even the diet ones, drink WATER but not with the flavor packs as they have HFCS also.
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #20  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladadog View Post
There's one brand that has "no HFCS" on the label. But that same brand also sells bread, also whole grain, that does have HFCS. Pretty much with bread I double check the labels every time I buy it. Arnold's is the one brand I can always count on but the store I shop at doesn't always have it.
I am sitting here, swearing in my head... I don't know if my bread does or not! I want to run home and read the label. I look for breads with fiber and protein... But I may have missed whether it has HFCS.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #21  
it's always something

HFCS is added to bread and other baked goods because it extends the shelf life. It's really hard to find them without it. I used to bake my own, but I eat bread probably once a month so it's not worth the effort. I buy the short loaves of good bread and portion it out into freezer bags.

I built a website for a gourmet company and one of the info pages explained that they did not carry any products containing HFCS. The corn lobbyists sent them a nasty letter!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #22  

If you're really interested in the boom of high fructose corn syrup, watch "Food Inc." or read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan (who is also featured in Food Inc.). A few months ago I was able to find Food Inc. in full free online, but I think it may have been taken down since.

I'm fortunate to have a Great Harvest Bread Company in this part of the country which is where I get all my (whole grain) bread. The farmer's market also has a few vendors that bake their own bread. Even with these options, many of my friends and my boyfriend bake their own bread.
SpoonSockSpork12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #23  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

Yogurts all seem to have HFCS... so I have been getting either Chobani or Stonyfield.... Right now I am eating a Stonyfield "Chocolate Underground". OMG. It is SOOOOO DANG tasty. This would make a great evening "dessert".
Old 07-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #24  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

I have been eating Activia and after I finish these off, I will be switching back to Stoneyfield as it is now sold in my town. My family is friends with the family that created this brand and it is what it is presented to be, I was just waiting for the brand to make it to my small town here in TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
Yogurts all seem to have HFCS... so I have been getting either Chobani or Stonyfield.... Right now I am eating a Stonyfield "Chocolate Underground". OMG. It is SOOOOO DANG tasty. This would make a great evening "dessert".
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #25  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
Maybe the reason the manufacturers use it in place of regular sugars is because it is cheaper?
That's EXACTLY the reason. It was incorporated into our foods in the 1970's... and coincidentally, America has been getting fatter since the 1970's. From a googled source:

Quote:
In the US, HFCS is among the sweeteners that have partially replaced sucrose (table sugar), due to governmental subsidies of U.S. corn and an import tariff on foreign sugar, raising the price of sucrose to levels above those of the rest of the world, making HFCS cost-efficient for many sweetener applications.
Yup. Cheaper.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #26  

Quote:
Dannon nonfat plain doesn't have HFCS. So, so good with fresh fruit mixed in!
Old 07-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #27  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
Dannon nonfat plain doesn't have HFCS. So, so good with fresh fruit mixed in!
I have noticed juices are starting to move away from HFCS - I wonder if yogurts are, too? My son LOVES the little Dannon Smoothies for kids. Those don't have HFCS.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #28  

Quote:
I have noticed juices are starting to move away from HFCS - I wonder if yogurts are, too? My son LOVES the little Dannon Smoothies for kids. Those don't have HFCS.
Maybe. We have always only had Mott's Apple Juice, which was just water, apples, and asorbic (sp?) acid.

We didn't find it all that hard to move away from HFCS. The only things (in my house) that have it are the kids' processed snacks (crackers, cookies, etc.). We do mostly whole foods otherwise.

I also don't mind sugar, in moderation.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #29  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
The only things (in my house) that have it are the kids' processed snacks (crackers, cookies, etc.).
I sometimes find some good stuff over in the organic, packaged food section of the grocery store. Ex. I was looking at Gerber's cereal bars for my son and sure enough the fruit filling has HFCS, but over in the organic section, I found some Seasame Street ones that do not have HFCS. (They have Big Bird on the wrapper!) There are all sorts of cookies/crackers.

Also - I LOVE Food Should Taste Good Chips. They have all normal ingredients in them, and I love counting out my 10 or 12 for snack on occassion. They aren't low cal or anything, but they have good ingredients and have some fiber and protein in them!