Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #1  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

Default Fatter fat cells from HFCS?

Stumbled upon this article and thought it was kind of interesting. Fatter Fat Cells?

Last edited by CandyKisses0204; 06-23-2010 at 06:25 PM.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Interesting. I have been reading similar things lately. Thanks for posting that!

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5

Thanks for sharing! Good info
constance21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #4  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

As if I needed more reason to avoid that stuff, lol. Great info!
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #5  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

I made pulled pork the other day... the recipe calls for a lot of ketchup. I flipped over the bottle when I was done and read one of the first ingredients: "HFCS". Grrr!

** Mini Rant **
I get SO ANGRY at those STUPID commercials that say HFCS is just fine for you in moderation... no different that regular sugar. Blah blah blah... MAYBE so... HOWEVER, it is in EVERYTHING. Packaged food, juice, yogurt, cereal bars, dressings, soda, etc. So... if you aren't watching, you could be getting HFCS from EVERYTHING you eat... ie. not in moderation.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #6  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

I heard the other day (can't remember if it was on news or in an article) that one of the major brand name ketchup companies (Hunts or Heinz I think) was cutting HFCS out of their foods. You may want to read the labels at the grocery the next time you're there and see if you can find it.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

Not all ketchup has HFCS in it. I can't remember the brand that doesn't, but it's out there.

Personally, I agree with SCraver. It isn't that it's necessarily a bad thing in itself. It's that it is in EVERYTHING. Sugar is in everything. Eventually, that's going to have a negative effect. Just like salt. Nothing really wrong with salt... except that we eat 500x more than we should!

Well, I tried going the "no HFCS" route, and I tried cutting it out of my food, but it was simply too hard at the time. I cut out extra sweets instead. No more 100 cal rice krispie treats! Now I only have a sugary treat once a week, if that. I've switched to the other devil to get me through- artificial sweeteners. We really can't win, can we?
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #8  

Location: Boulder, CO- but moving back to NJ in less than one week!

S/C/G: 252/185/135

Height: 5'4"

Back in May, we decided to cut HFCS from our diet, which took some major doing, as yes, it is in *everything* or so it seems sometimes!

I was 274 back then. Went to the dr's yesterday and I was 252. Have also been walking several times a week, but I do feel cutting out the HFCS had a lot to do with it.
xirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #9  
Green Tomatoes

I buy an organic ketchup at Whole Foods that not only has no HFCS, it has only the ingredients I would use if I were making ketchup in my own kitchen! Which cut short my project to make my own ketchup, but maybe it's just as well.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #10  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Heinz does a no HFCS ketchup - I think it is called "simply Heinz". It costs a tiny bit more but I figure it is worth it since my kids tend to bath everything in ketchup (or ranch dressing...).

We went no HFCS about a year ago - bread, pancake syrup, and ketchup were the only really hard things. There are a couple affordable whole grain non-HFCS breads I stock up when they are on sale. There's a very tasty kosher pancake syrup I stock up on during passover (I'd like to strictly use real maple syrup but it is just too expensive). And now there's affordable ketchup (I was buying organic but it was pretty expensive too).
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Argh! It's in EVERYTHING! I searched high and low for the one brand of WHOLE wheat hamburger buns at my supermarket, but I just checked, and guess what? HFCS. Bleh.

Vladadog, you can make your own imitation maple syrup by cooking 2 cups sugar in 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, boil one minute. Add maple flavoring (and vanilla extract is nice too) -- just be sure to get one that doesn't have HFCS in it!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #12  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

I know, I do make my own syrup as well but the kosher syrup is preferred by certain breakfast eaters. (Personally I don't eat much syrup at all since starting this journey and usually have real maple when I do....)

The whole syrup and ketchup thing (and ranch too) is a challenge. The kids love the stuff. We want them to learn moderation and to control their own portions so we let them pour their own condiments but portion control is not learned overnight. It's great to see the light turn on when one finally says "wow! You really can put too much syrup on french toast!"
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

i hate how i feel after i eat HFCS, i totally believe it is BAD NEWS. I also hate soda, which is one of the highest source of this stuff- i don't know how it can be classified as a drink.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #14  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

it p*sses me off that this cr*p, and other similar cr*p, is freaking everywhere.

the system shouldn't be set up to make it so hard to find good healthy real food. i know that good healthy real food can be found, and that once you learn how to do it it can get easier.

i am just saying that it isn't necessary to put this stuff in everything, and the fact that it is everywhere makes things more diffcult than they should be. just like someone commented upthread, it's in what otherwise looks like a "healthy whole grain" bread. why? what is that about? ok, sorry for the rant.
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #15  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygirl View Post
i am just saying that it isn't necessary to put this stuff in everything, and the fact that it is everywhere makes things more diffcult than they should be. just like someone commented upthread, it's in what otherwise looks like a "healthy whole grain" bread. why? what is that about? ok, sorry for the rant.
I have no idea why it would be in bread? I make my own bread (in the breadmaker) and most recipes call for 2 T sugar/honey/maple syrup/molasses in a 2 lb loaf. Bread does need sugar because the yeast needs something to "feed" off of. Maybe the reason the manufacturers use it in place of regular sugars is because it is cheaper?
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote