Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #1  
keep on truckin' momma

S/C/G: 278/255/170

Height: 5'2

Unhappy Why can't i stay focused

This isn't my first jump on the diet wagon, i started this journey in 2005. Lost a majority of my weight within the first year, then weight loss stopped. Fast-forward to now, i discovered this wonderful site back in sept.09' and i decided to count calories. It was the way i lost weight before and it worked well. Lost another 23lbs since then....but for the past two weeks i can't stay on my diet for more than a few days without falling off the wagon. I just don't get it why can't i stay focused,ugh! I know i need to take it easy on myself...but right now i want to give myself a big kick in the butt!!!

I know what to do...i just have to buckle down and do it.

Anyone else having the same problem as me right now...it would be nice to know there are others....

Last edited by misspriss78; 02-12-2010 at 07:40 AM.
misspriss78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:21 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You've lost 105 lbs? WOW!!! That's fantastic!!! Congratulations.

Anyway, there are times where we do kinda slide a little, but have to make certain that we don't slide too far. We don't want any lapse turning into a relapse turning into a total collapse!!

How to re-focus? Well do you plan out your meals ahead of time? Do you know EXACTLY what you will be eating for each and every meal and snack? If you've got a plan in place, it is MUCH easier to stay on plan, regardless of how focused or unfocused you are. This all would never, ever work for me if I don't decide IN ADVANCE what I will be eating for the day - no matter what the circumstances. I plan ahead, shop, cook, prepare and take foods with me, never leaving my food "up to chance". It's just too easy to lose focus and make poor choices without that advance pre-thought and pre-planning. For me, "failing to plan IS planning to fail". Your home MUST be stocked with the "right" foods, so that you have what to eat and AVOID the "wrong" foods.

Another way to stay focused - counting/tracking calorie and food journaling. Both great eye openers and great ways to keep your food choices on track and remain that priority that they need to be.

And like you said, you know what to do - now get out there and do it - but by all means, set yourself up for success - the planning, the counting, the journaling.

Nip this in the bud and remember what it is you want the MOST from life.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #3  
keep on truckin' momma

Smile Thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
You've lost 105 lbs? WOW!!! That's fantastic!!! Congratulations.

Anyway, there are times where we do kinda slide a little, but have to make certain that we don't slide too far. We don't want any lapse turning into a relapse turning into a total collapse!!

How to re-focus? Well do you plan out your meals ahead of time? Do you know EXACTLY what you will be eating for each and every meal and snack? If you've got a plan in place, it is MUCH easier to stay on plan, regardless of how focused or unfocused you are. This all would never, ever work for me if I don't decide IN ADVANCE what I will be eating for the day - no matter what the circumstances. I plan ahead, shop, cook, prepare and take foods with me, never leaving my food "up to chance". It's just too easy to lose focus and make poor choices without that advance pre-thought and pre-planning. For me, "failing to plan IS planning to fail". Your home MUST be stocked with the "right" foods, so that you have what to eat and AVOID the "wrong" foods.

Another way to stay focused - counting/tracking calorie and food journaling. Both great eye openers and great ways to keep your food choices on track and remain that priority that they need to be.

And like you said, you know what to do - now get out there and do it - but by all means, set yourself up for success - the planning, the counting, the journaling.

Nip this in the bud and remember what it is you want the MOST from life.
thanks for the congrats and the encouragement!!

yes to everything, Ive kept a exercise and food journal through my entire journey,it is one of the keys to my success! I plan my meals in the morning,write them down and normally stick to them...just got to get focused again. ARG!

Night time is the hardest, i would normally make dinner my last meal of the day(another key to my success) but here lately Ive been so inconsistent, its very frustrating.

Like you said,i will nip this in the bud and move on...i think another problem of mine is the guilt that comes with it, im too hard on myself. Gotta work on that...

Thanks again

I forgot to say congratulations on your success,wow...WAY TO GO!!!!! what an inspiration!

Last edited by misspriss78; 02-12-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

Since you used the term "stay on the wagon", which I think is most common amongst people trying to stay sober, I was reminded of some advice that a good friend of mine told me, who is a recovering alcoholic and in AA.

She told me one of the most helpful tips she learned from meetings was to "just do something, don't try to conquer the world". Apparently, it is easy to feel depressed and discouraged when you are trying to quit drinking. So, they are told - just do what you can, anything to help you get out of bed and stay sober, whether it is washing a few dishes, laundry, going to buy groceries, reading a book,etc. It ALL counts as something good.

I kind of like this idea, it has helped me a lot. When you cannot be perfect, you aren't hard on yourself, and instead you just do the little things that you can do to "stay somewhere near the wagon".

I truly believe that there are some really really strong biological urges that come along - urging us to eat, eat, eat. The urges are obviously out of our control and really hard to fight.

But they do eventually subside.

For example, the strong urge to eat, eat, eat, when we are close or on our monthly cycle. It goes away after awhile.

and of course, rockinrobin's advice is always great. I really wish I had my own personal rockinrobin to keep me exactly on plan.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

How many calories do you try to eat on an "on-plan" day? You don't set yourself up for a binge by eating an insanely low amount of calories do you? (Just checking )
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #6  

Height: 5'5.5"

Amelia - Wow, over 100lb gone. That is amazing.

Maybe it would help to prepare a day's meals the night before. If the food is already prepared it will be very easy to stick to your plan.

Last edited by LizR; 02-12-2010 at 10:53 AM.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #7  
keep on truckin' momma

Thanks Bonnie! I love the message in your post. Staying perfect can sometimes be exhausting...i have to accept my slips. And like you said,as long as im some where near the wagon...i will get back on it eventually!

My DH works nights so after the kids go to bed im left by myself...that's very dangerous,lol. So i use to go straight to the bedroom and read a book/watch tv....staying out of the kitchen helped. Really need to get back into the habit again.

And for me,just talking about it on here is helping. My family has been very supportive but if i whine too much they tell me that i look great and ask why am i still dieting...which doesn't help me at all.

Thanks to Both of you for listening and giving your advice...you guys are awesome
Old 02-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #8  
keep on truckin' momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
How many calories do you try to eat on an "on-plan" day? You don't set yourself up for a binge by eating an insanely low amount of calories do you? (Just checking )
naaah,i love food too much to go too low,LOL. I eat around 1600 a day and so far its been working great! Sometimes i will even go over 50-70 calories and still lose.

I had to edit this to say that WOW...WTG on your weight loss,that is amazing! Thats why i love this site...so many awesome people on here.

Last edited by misspriss78; 02-12-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #9  
keep on truckin' momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizR View Post
Amelia - Wow, over 100lb gone. That is amazing.

Maybe it would help to prepare a day's meals the night before. If the food is already prepared it will be very easy to stick to your plan.
Thank you that is a good idea. I use to cook on sunday and freeze it. It did help.