Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #1  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Unhappy I was doing so well.....

I'm over half way through my journey, I've reached onederland, I'm doing so well....I don't know what's been happening the past two weeks....

I had to take 2 rest days off about two weeks ago due do a nagging back and ever since then, it's been so hard to get back on track. My food stayed on plan, but I wasn't exercising as much. One week in, and when weigh in day comes, I maintain. The first time since I started that I didn't lose any weight. I became further discouraged. I tried to get back into my groove but another week has passed and the past 2 days I've been struggling to stay on plan with my food! I've just been making horrible decisions right and left and I'm getting so frustrated with myself.

I know I'm on a terribly slippery slope right now. And how I handle this is crucial in deciding whether I go the distance and reach my goals....or plummet back into old habits. And I'm scared to death....

What did you chick's do when(or if) this happened to you to get back on track? Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated (you can yell at me too, i deserve it.)
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

I'll bet a lot of us Chicks have been struggling over this holiday weekend, myself included. The problem is, one day turns into two, two turns into three and so on until the weight starts to come back. I haven't been "horrible" this weekend, but I've had 2 days of poor eating plus another day of pretty good eating but caving in to too many snacks. I think we need to just tell ourselves "No", get back on track and move forward in the right direction. That's what I'm trying to do for myself. Good luck to you......you can do this!
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #3  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

I'm trying to take everything one day at a time. I goofed up over Thanksgiving and I don't have a good excuse for it - it was just me and my fiance at home, so I could have cooked healthier and eaten better the whole time. But I can't change that and, quite frankly, when I've had a bad week like this, thinking ahead to how I'll meet my overall goals is pretty overwhelming.

What I can do, though, is to make to today as good as possible - I can't change what happened this past week and I can't worry ahead to three months from now. All I have to do is get through today Stick with it - you can choose to stay on track if you make it a conscious effort.
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #4  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

I have been struggling to, I was sick for 2 weeks, really sick so I couldn't exercise. Than came thanksgiving weeknd. Ugh. And I went up 2lbs! Its hard to get back von track :-(
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 311.5/289.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Everytime I've done this I've gained back all the weight I lost plus. One time it was 130lbs and one time 90lbs and everything in-between. With a food addict it can happen; after weeks and months of success it can turn on a dime. But, one thing about losing weight successfully, you can look back and realize you have done it and can do it again. It's not like you can't do it. We have a lot of things going against us: genetics, unresolved emotional baggage, thinking of ourselves as obese, like it's part of our psyche. So, what is left? Just doing it. Everyday to make the choice that for today I will follow my food plan at a minimum and if I exercise then that is even better. Because, for me, that is the only way. I've done everything else, including seeing a counselor, hypnosis, every diet plan and club that exists, drugs, various spas, OA, and in the end all that works is putting one foot in front of another and just doing it. That is all there is. And this time I'm holding out the hope that I will be able to maintain any loss. It has been done.

Last edited by Suezeeque; 11-29-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Suezeeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I've definitely been in your situation lots of times. The times when I was able to succeed, I did the following: I ate on plan. I wrote down everything that went into my mouth and I counted my calories. During times like these, when things are extra difficult, that's the time you need a plan. Make a menu and decide what you will eat that day exactly and stick to it. I'm a firm believer in having "one good day." If you can have one good day, then you can have another and another. Believe me, I know all about pain. I have chronic daily migraines and there are days when I feel like I'm stuck between **** and something even worse. I used to use this as an excuse and I ended up gaining almost 70 lbs. in one year. It wasn't that long ago when I had a very nice figure, but I let it all slip away because I let every day get away from me. I kept having one last binge for months and months and then, I became hopeless that it could ever change. But, then I realized that I HAD to do something and it was either when I'm 500 lbs. or a little over 200 lbs. I decided to start it now and not put it off any longer. Please do the same. Have a plan. Write things down. If you have an urge, have some gum, drink some tea, take a walk, call a friend, come to the Chicks in Control section of this board....that's where us food addicts tend to congregate. It's a great place here and over there for support. You can do this!!!

luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/154("Normal" BMI)

I try to tell myself...it's only one bad day...get back on plan...YOU CAN DO IT! For me, It's been really hard the past few weeks not seeing the scale move down...but up a little, then down, then up, then down...It's very frustrating....but I know if I stick to my calories and keep exercising...that eventually it'll pay off...IT HAS TO!

I also agree with making a menu & stick to it...I work evening shift (4-1230) so I cook my chicken 2-3 pieces at a time...then that's 3 dinner's worth...this also helps when co-workers want to order take out..."Nope, sorry, already have my dinner"

So, EVEL, I guess my point here is YOU'VE DONE SO GOOD SO FAR!! DON'T GIVE UP!!!! A few horrible decisions are OK...we're human, it's expected....let's just not make a habit out of it... YOU CAN GET THROUGH THIS!
KDM322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 AM   #8  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Sometimes when I'm really struggling, I take some time to really pamper myself. A bubble bath, giving myself a pedicure, a good movie in bed, etc, can make a difference. And sometimes I just have to "fake it 'til I make it".
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Make a plan. Map out your food schedule IN ADVANCE for a day. Write it out. Each and every food that will enter your mouth. Write in activities too. You can even post it here if you'd like. Give yourself this gift of one day. One perfectly on plan day. And then you'll make it two and then three and before you know it you will be back in the swing of things. Good eating begets more good eating. One day. Just one day. And watch it snowball. Take the bull by the horns. Rein it in NOW. You CAN do this. One day. Make that day TODAY. No ifs ands or buts.

You CAN do this. I know it for sure. And you will be thrilled (& relieved) when you do.

One perfectly on plan day - no matter what.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

You can get back on track. I try to think about the alternative to not getting back on track--sure, you maintained for one week, which is discouraging. Now, you can either get back on track and continue losing, OR--you can fall off the wagon and gain! And nobody wants that! I try to think of it like I just don't have a choice--I have to try, at least!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #11  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Everyone has suggested exactly what I was going to suggest.

First of all, everyday is the start of the rest of your life. What happened yesterday is behind you, and you have a clean slate today. So now, it's all about baby steps. Right now, jumping back into your work out routine may seem like a daunting task. Break it up into tiny baby steps. What can I do THIS half hour to move towards my goal? I can eat a piece of celery instead of a muffin (I made that decision last night). I can put my workout clothes on.

It's terrifying to wonder if you'll be in control 6 months from now. But, you can know with confidence that you're in control right NOW. Just let all the "nows" string together. You're in control this 15 minutes, you're in control for that 30 minutes, that hour, the whole day, etc.

Also, ask yourself why you're putting off exercising or healthy eating. Are you stressed? Too tired? Feeling like you need to pamper yourself? Think how wonderful a movie night on the couch after a hot bath would feel AFTER you worked out and ate well. Knowing that you're doing well is less stressful than fretting about falling off the wagon.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #12  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Hi Eve!

I still have days like this. Not so much the out of control eating or lack of exercise, but off days where I don't feel like doing all of this and I start to wonder if it's the "beginning of the end" where I give up and gain all the weight back. Because that is what I have done in the past. I understand "the fear," but the fear is a good thing. Use it to your advantage and let it motivate you to get back on track.

Every day, I just try to challenge myself. When I get to work in the morning, I log on to The Daily Plate and log/plan my food for the day. I have a workout schedule planned out for the rest of the year so I know exactly what I am supposed to do for exercise each day. And I just make myself do it, no excuses. Which reminds me of this great article: http://avidityfitness.net/2008/02/01...-for-fat-loss/

It's the tough love I need.

Start today with making the right choices, even if they are small.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #13  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I think we've all gone through something similar at one point in our journeys.
This is when you learn the most about yourself, I think.
The last time this happened to me, I learned that there is no break for working out in my life. If I take today off, I'll be more apt to take tomorrow off and the next day, hey what about that burger and fries for lunch? Next thing I know I'm back in my old ways. The first sign? A bad food or no work-out day (except for my scheduled rest days). So, I know now that I can't skip a day's work-out. I get up every morning, whether I want to or not and go do my elliptical. It starts my day off right and I am concious about what I eat the rest of the day, because I don't want my work-outs to be in vain.

So take this time to learn about yourself. What was your first slip? How did that cause a domino effect for what happened next? Once you know these things you'll have the ammo that you need to avoid this in the future. Best of luck.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #14  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

yeah, don't psych yourself out. put on your mental blinders and just start from this moment on doing your program again.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #15  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Thank you everyone! You all have great advice, and that article was AWESOME! I stayed up later last night and planned out my whole week's worth of meals on fitday and am going grocery shopping later this afternoon.

My breakfast today was:

egg white omelet with spinach, peppers, and onions
sprinkled with low fat cheddar cheese and drizzled with
organic ketchup

1/2 apple with 1/4 cup low fat ricotta cheese

Now I'm off to work out! GOTTA SWEAT BABY!

Thank you for all of your support!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote