Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

to the OP - I started running in January. I tried the C25K back in November with a buddy but I gave up on it because it was too slow for me. So then again in January I just started running as long as I could then walk long enough to catch my breath and so on until I could run a full mile. Then I upped my mileage from there. Basically if I can get past the first 5 minutes I am straight. I believe it is truly mental. Just stick with it and go slow, slow, slow. I started running 4.4MPH Yeah that slow! HAHA I totally love it now and I have losing weight faster. i just feel so accomplished when I am finished.!
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #32  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowenna View Post
I have dabbled in running - I do treadmill and elliptical often enough, and I've run outside sporadically. There is a 5K for charity this Saturday that I just found out about, and I think I'd like to give it a try. Is it feasible to do one without actually training for it? I can definitely run for 30-40 minutes (I go slowly, and get tired, but I can keep it up for that long) but I don't do it often. Any thoughts or experiences people can share about their first 5Ks would be appreciated!
Sure, it's feasible. If you can walk 3.1 miles, then you can do a 5K. You can walk the whole thing, run/walk it, or run, depending on your baseline fitness level.

My first race was a 5 miler. I hadn't actually trained, but I did go out and complete 4 miles of run/walk intervals so I figured I could make 5 miles. My sister was encouraging me to train for a half marathon with her, and I wanted to see what this whole race thing was about. So I showed up for the race, not knowing ANYTHING about running a race and just took off with the rest of the pack. Of course I was completely out of breath in the first, oh, 3 minutes and had to take a walk break. I walked until I could run, and ran until I had to walk. Repeat for 5 miles. I finished the thing in just under an hour, COMPLETELY impressing myself at posting 12 minute miles. I remember crossing the finish line and hearing the announcer say "And thanks everyone for coming out today...."! Hey, I wasn't last! There were even some bagels left.

Crossing that finish line, my first "athletic" event EVER, at age 40+, was a revelation. I had reached down inside myself and accomplished something difficult that I never even thought I was capable of, there were people actually cheering me on ... I was overwhelmed! And hooked. I did train for, and complete, that half marathon with my sister 6 months later, and have gone on to complete many more races of all distances since. And I still get a thrill of accomplishment every time I cross that finish line, no matter how fast or slow I've made it there.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #33  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

So I decided to pick up Runner's World Magazine. I'm going to subscribe. =)
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #34  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannette311 View Post
So I decided to pick up Runner's World Magazine. I'm going to subscribe. =)

RW is my FAVORITE magazine. I wish they put out 4 issues per month because I gobble it all up the same day I get it.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #35  
Doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
RW is my FAVORITE magazine. I wish they put out 4 issues per month because I gobble it all up the same day I get it.
I'm really excited to get it. I got the 2 years for $24 plus a book about running for $13. And two free gifts and two trial issues. I never thought I would love running so much...and I never thought that I could do it.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #36  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I love the RW magazine too, but I never realized how professional these people are until I was talking about a marathon race time with my husband. I mentioned something like "it seems like the times I'm seeing in RW magazine are around 2:30:00-2:50:00 finishing times... that should be average." To which my husband replied "you know that means they're running at 10mph...right?" That means at my current natural pace of 5mph it would take me 4 hours to run a marathon! (Probably more like 5 because I'm slow..haha).

So don't get discouraged when you read about these professional runners making out like bandits in races... if you're looking for some good advice on getting into shape from a NON-runner's perspective, try "Slow, Fat Triathlete" by Jayne Williams. She started out at 267lbs and now does triathlons regularly. Also try http://www.johnbingham.com/index.html#rfm - he started out overweight (and contributes to RW magazine/rw.com regularly) so he has a lot of good advice for overweight beginners.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #37  
Doing it.

Thanks, Fat Pants! I'm googling it now!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #38  

okay.. I must be a snail, I am only up to running at about 3.7 mph (on second week of week on c to 5k) I have tried this program before but went to fast and ended up hurt, this time I am taking it slooooooow and eaaaaasy!
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #39  
Doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthytoad View Post
okay.. I must be a snail, I am only up to running at about 3.7 mph (on second week of week on c to 5k) I have tried this program before but went to fast and ended up hurt, this time I am taking it slooooooow and eaaaaasy!
Don't feel bad! I only went at about 4.7 yesterday, and adjusted as low as 4.2 when I needed to. I think you're doing really well!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #40  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthytoad View Post
I started out at 4.0 and now run around 5.0. I am training to complete my first 5k in September, so my first goal is to be able to run for 30-40 minutes straight, without walking. Once I have that accomplished, I will move on to speed. There are some parts of my 5k route going uphill that I am SURE that someone can walk faster than I am running, but that's not important right now... I just gotta keep running!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 210/202.5/150...or lower...

Height: 5'5"

i did my first day of 1min run, 2 min walk at 5mph for running and between 3.5-4mph for walking. i have the feeling i could go a little faster when i am running since i for some reason feel more grounded when running at a faster pace. not sure if it makes sense.

i will try running at 5.2mph or up tomorrow...

oh, and i love runner's world!!!
willow68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #42  
No description available.

Yes to good shoes. Yes to Runners World. And a heads up on something I saw this am....in the US anyway, running on a path is like driving. Keep to your right. There was a lady running/walking to her left on the path (dressed in black and it was dark still) and she almost got run over by all the folks who were keeping to the right and heading in her direction.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #43  

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow68 View Post
i did my first day of 1min run, 2 min walk at 5mph for running and between 3.5-4mph for walking. i have the feeling i could go a little faster when i am running since i for some reason feel more grounded when running at a faster pace. not sure if it makes sense.
It absolutely makes sense!
I am doing the C25K to the DJ Beatsmith podcasts and found especially week 2 a bit difficult. In week 3 he picks up the pace just a bit, and to me that makes all the difference. I sailed through week 3 and started week 4 this morning. I ran for a total of16 minutes!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

I bought the new Runners World after reading about it on this thread! I LOVED the article for beginners! It was so clear and answered all kinds of questions I had plus gave a lot of support for people wanting to start running! Thanks again for such a great post!!!!!!!!!!! Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I really enjoyed "Slow, Fat Triathlete". She's a great author. I'm planning to enter my first Sprint Triathlon this August because of it.
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote