Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #16  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Pants View Post
1) Invest in good running shoes - it's worth it! It will save you a lot of pain and frustration if you get fitted for a good shoe from the get-go. Try to avoid the big box stores like Big 5 or Sports Authority...go to real running store, where they will video tape you running on a treadmill and then find the right shoe for you! It's so worth it!

2) If you are big-chested like me, invest in a good sports bra. Enell makes great bras for larger chested ladies like myself.... I would not be able to run otherwise!

3) Start slow, slow, slow! It prevents injury and over training. Write down your results... when you feel like you're not making any progress, you can go back and look at where you were a few weeks ago and see the difference! I definitely recommend a plan like Couch to 5k. Runnersworld.com also has a great beginner running program.
Completely agree on all of the above!
I started a Couch to 5K program a few weeks ago and I am loving it.
I use the DJ Beatsmith (just google it, you'll find them) music downloads as my guide and they really keep me going.
Do make sure you stay well hydrated, I drink a fair bit before and after my run and if I don't it will give me a headache
Most importantly, have fun with it!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

I really enjoy running now.

The main things when starting out:

1. Get fitted for proper running shoes
2. Slow down! Seriously most new runners get turned off because they are trying to go too fast.

Have fun!
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Shoes. Shoes, shoes, shoes.

I know it's already been mentioned like 10 times, but getting fitted by someone who really knows running, preferably at a running store, makes ALL the difference.

Only use the shoes for running. I wore out a nice pair of running shoes by using them for tennis one summer, and the next time I decided to take up running, my shins hated me for it. On the same note, you'll need new shoes every so often.. about every 300 miles.

Run on the softest surface you can. Dirt/gravel trails and tracks are both nice. Asphalt is better than concrete (even if you feel weird for running in the road when there's a sidewalk right next to you -- I know I still do!) as long as the road isn't curved at the edges so that your legs are at different heights.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 210/202.5/150...or lower...

Height: 5'5"

I am starting the Runner's World program tomorrow. I am excited to try it out. Hopefully in 8 weeks I can call myself a runner.
willow68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Pants View Post
I hated running in the beginning, but for some reason, I stuck with it. That was about 8 weeks ago and I've lost 15 lbs and several inches since. I LOVE it! I love the way it makes me feel, I love the feeling of accomplishment! I never thought I'd say that about running.... but I'm addicted to it now! When I started, I could barely run for a minute straight. Now I am up to 15 minutes and going farther and longer each week. And it works out so much more than your legs... When I run a 5k, my abs, glutes, etc. are always sore the next day.
Agreed, it is addictive! And it makes me feel so much better. I mean, I like lifting weights, I like walking, but running is such a different feeling, especially when so many of us are cooped up at home or at work, sitting in front of a computer all day, getting out and running is such a nice contrast to all that.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #21  
Cause I'm worth it!!!!

S/C/G: 202/See Ticker/130

Height: 5"6

I seem to feel alot of injury when I run too. I hate running.

I did hear that running makes your uterus drop, and it's bad for your knees. I'm kinda scared to try running.
vouge09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post
Asphalt is better than concrete (even if you feel weird for running in the road when there's a sidewalk right next to you -- I know I still do!) as long as the road isn't curved at the edges so that your legs are at different heights.
Sigh, I don't think there are any streets in my whole county that aren't sloped from the center.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 247/223/125

Thanks for all the advice. I went to a running store today after work and got a good pair of shoes, and with all the info from you guys I'm feeling enthused about getting out there!
bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

Wonderful thread! Just what I needed! I walk a whole lot and have not had the courage to run. I feel self concious and it feels like I am trying to roll a mountain! But with this thread and looking at the recommended sites, I feel so excited! I am going to try it! Thanks everyone and wish me luck! I want to RUN too!
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:44 AM   #25  

i love running, i run alot and i do alot of marathons. when running the trick is to control your breathing and think about something to get your mind off the running. Try to run with a partner or take a zune, ipod etc. Running is one the best forms of cardio and for weight loss..
dwizzlex10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #26  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Just another note about doing programs like c25k or Runner's World beginner running program - if you don't feel ready to advance to the next week...then don't! It's ok to go at your own pace and repeat a week if you need to. Sometimes I found that I was getting discouraged when I didn't feel like I was improving enough to move on to the next week, but that's alright! Listen to your body!

I also found that weeks 3-6 were probably the hardest because you don't feel like you're making much progress. I've heard this from a lot of beginning runners (no matter the program). But if you stick with it, something just sort of clicks and you'll find yourself making a lot of progress if you can just stick with it through those tough times!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #27  
Changing behaviours

I run on the treadmill... I'm not crazy about it, but I like it better than I used to. And it delivers results. In addition to all the good advice re shoes, bras etc already posted, I say good songs on an iPod, and HIIT. Those things make the time fly by.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #28  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vouge09 View Post
I did hear that running makes your uterus drop, and it's bad for your knees. I'm kinda scared to try running.
Old wives tales -- the "it will make your uterus drop" one has been around a long, long time! Quite untrue!! (And I won't share the visual image that one gives me)

It is true that running is a high impact activity. If you have knee problems already, then the pounding caused by running won't help. I know plenty of people that have blown out their knees in other sports (football, basketball) and now can't can't run without aggravating their preexisting injury. But, if your knees are healthy, running in and of itself won't cause knee problems, any more than another high impact activity will. The most common causes of injury in beginner runners is either not having properly fitting shoes or ramping up mileage too fast for their muscles/tendons/ligaments to adapt to the new demands.

And to the OP -- I never thought I could run. I didn't start running until I was over 40. First I walked, then I ran/walked, and finally I was able to run continuously. It took a while, that's all. And now, it's one of my favorite things!! I run with friends, I run races, and have a great time with it.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #29  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

Since I can run eight minutes in a row now (and man my legs are so SORE!) I can tell you my experiences!

I run on a treadmill at the gym. My gym likes these shiny things called "mirrors." I don't like them. I stayed away from the gym until they built a cardio cinema. It's all dark and they play movies all day and no one bothers you in there. Sometimes they play gory or stupid or "shaky" movies in there, but I just focus on something else and go. Or I'll pop on my iPod and listen to music or a podcast. And I figure if I run I can get out of there faster!

Last month I was finally better from a long illness and I started running again. My idea of running starting in January was running for 30 seconds without stopping. So, by the time I got sick in February I was a little better but not AWESOME. So anyway, when I started back up in March I was in constant pain. My shoes needed to be replaced, which I did. It STILL hurt. So, I figured that there was something wrong but I was mistaken. I just had to get USED to it. The pain was all mental. I had to push through it and after about a minute I don't feel anything but the need to go faster and longer. Of course, my...upper body...has always been a little large so having these fatbags flop around is something that is annoying. Time to invest in another really good bra. Maybe even wear two at once. When I figure it out I'll let you know. My idea for a boob shelf is awesome but I might get some weird looks.

Oh, and I've also found that I have to be on my feet for awhile before I can even think of running. So if I haven't been active at work or right after work, then I need to do a good 10 minutes on the treadmill. Jumping up and down and stretching my calves help too. OH! And most importantly, make sure your bladder is EMPTY.

So, cliffnotes:

Watch a movie or listen to music or something that is a bit of a distraction

Even if you're getting somewhere and you feel great about it and you have to stop for a period of time, you probably will have to recondition yourself to be back where you were before.

Get the right equipment! Shoes for running are a must! Get fitted if you can, and check online for deals on running shoes! Bras are important (if you are a girl, haha) but you might have to use trial and error. I haven't found one I love yet.

Fight through the pain UNLESS you really think something is wrong. It could be because of your shoes but it might be something like shinsplints. Trust your gut.

Stretch! Move around! Make your muscles all warm and stuff! Yesterday I didn't do as I should and my run was a FAILURE.

Please potty before you run!

FInally, I am no expert. I just started a few months ago, but I've changed a lot. My legs are smaller (allegedly), I look forward to the gym, I don't mind running around others, I feel better and sleep better, and somehow, it's all easier for me to NOT eat junk now. Although I crave burgers like MAD.
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #30  
So close!

S/C/G: 162/143/105

Height: 5'3"

I have dabbled in running - I do treadmill and elliptical often enough, and I've run outside sporadically. There is a 5K for charity this Saturday that I just found out about, and I think I'd like to give it a try. Is it feasible to do one without actually training for it? I can definitely run for 30-40 minutes (I go slowly, and get tired, but I can keep it up for that long) but I don't do it often. Any thoughts or experiences people can share about their first 5Ks would be appreciated!
Rowenna is offline   Reply With Quote