Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #31  
Workin' It

I don't do take out nearly as much as I used to, and when I do it is something that I really really want. I try to plan for it so it doesn't throw me off track. Last week DH had a bad head cold right before we were supposed to leave for our anniversary trip so I was a little down, thus when I went to get cat food I came home with cat food and ice cream. I haven't done that in a long time, and I actually had to make a second stop on the errand run just to get it.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Lately I've been stressed, working long hours, and have relied more on takeout food. Not necessarily fast food, but picking up pre-prepared stuff on the way home. It's amazing the difference it's made between eating home cooked. My weight loss is pretty much stalled - even though I'm making reasonably healthy choices, and I feel less energized than normal.

So even "healthy" takeout is not the best option for me.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #33  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post

So even "healthy" takeout is not the best option for me.

Yes. Exactly. I find no one makes healthy food taste as good, using minimal amounts of calories as possible, as I do. So therefore, I will continue to shop, chop, dice, slice, saute, broil, roast and do what I do. Major majority of the time, anyway.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #34  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

It's so funny - this week I'm finding the opposite. I'm so paranoid about food I don't make that I must not be eating much of it. I've been hovering above my maintenance weight for months now - this week, moving and eating out WAY more than usual (although I'm still trying to cook most of the time, with the stuff in two separate kitchens...it's an adventure!), I've lost down to the maintenance range.

Then again, that may be more "constant manual labor" related. Hefting boxes and furniture might be a significant calorie burner.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 230/181/160

Height: 6'0

I don't keep junk food in the house, but i do always have stuff to bake with. This past week i made homemade cinnamon rolls, they were delish. I was able to control myself and only have one though. My family enjoyed the rest for me. The other "bad" things that i've ate this week came from the grocery store - Digiorno's pizza one night when i didn't want to cook.
Usually, pizza is my weakness. We order it in a few times a month, so it just appears at my door
I am a busy person, and the only one in my family who cooks so if i'm too tired to cook, its take out. I really try and keep healthy, easy foods at home so i'm not tempted too often, but it does happen. I just try and workout more, and eat a little less (of the take out) than i would have before. It seems to be working.
wantingtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #36  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

It used to come out of my pantry, fridge, freezer, etc. Now if I screw up it's most likely from dining out or overeating a meal at home. Mostly from dining out which is why I have all but cut it out of my diet
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

The restaurant bread basket...the passed hors d'oerves at receptions...much more occasionally something in the house (usually that has been here for a while, or something healthy that I overdo.)

Planning for the eating out is helping. Today I went Mexican for lunch...and planned ahead of time to skip the chips and salsa...which I love. I did it. I wouldn't have if I hadn't made that commitment to myself ahead of time.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:06 AM   #38  
=D

Oh, god I'm the same, Susan.. with the free food thing.

Food is food, and it's sometimes tempting - but the concept of 'free' is something i'll battle with forever.

"Oh, but it's free...." = my reasoning. Sometimes I have to talk myself out of a tail spin over a freaken bowl of candy.

Last edited by mazza; 11-20-2008 at 12:07 AM.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:34 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Mazza ... I think it's a throw back to when the grocery budget (for the two of us and three little ones) was sooo tight. "Oh look food I don't have to pay for!" Of course it never stopped me from eating my fair of the grocery budget too.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #40  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs down FREE food

Count me as a member of the FREE food syndrome.

Yes, money was tight when I was a kid - but there was always food even then. And I'm not a kid and I can now afford groceries.

But I'm still drawn to FREE. Not to free if I'm your guest for dinner, but FREE samples from Whole Foods goes right past all rational eating thoughts.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:09 AM   #41  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I have a happy story!

I went shopping for groceries the other day, and it happened to be the "Holiday Food Festival" at the store. They had plates of turkey dinner, sliced fruit with a chocolate fountain, hors d'oeuvres trays, pastries, eggnog, alcohol...

I ate 1 shrimp with cocktail sauce and 1 small sample of stollen bread, and that was it.

So it is possible to say no even to free food! At least on that day.

Oh, and I had just come from my gym workout, and I could have told myself a story about how I had been so "good" surely it would be OK to have a lot of food... magical thinking! But I didn't fall for it.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote