Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 01:13 AM   #1  
Dancing those pounds away

Default 300+ and Ready To Try Again...#119

WELCOME

We are a group of people who are working together to lose our excess weight.
We are on different plans and are of different sizes.
We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

Please feel free to jump right in with us.
And be sure to check if there is a second page. We don't want anyone to miss any posts
Old 01-06-2002, 01:26 AM   #2  

Default HOWDY

There were so many good posts in the last thread that I have printed it out and going to respond offline. It was soooo great finding all you posting.

I spent this afternoon at the emergency room with my daughter today. She is fine ... thank goodness. She has to go to a cardiologist for more tests.

After that ordeal we went to the movies and saw "A Beautiful Mind". It is a true story about some.... WAIT .... I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I guess you will have to see if for yourself.

My food was good again. No popcorn at the movies. Even three servings of veggies too. Got plenty of water but... no exercise. I promise... as soon as my girls get back to school I WILL start.

Okay, enough about me. I am going to go read all of your posts and respond tomorrow. Hope you all had a great day.
Oh, I almost forgot... I may be going out of town tomorrow.
I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Don't forget I need some good veggie recipes for Sunday.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:35 AM   #3  
a work in progress...

Good Morning!

Wow, 2cute, I hope everything is OK w/your daughter! If your ER is anything like ours, you spent a good portion of your day there... I hope seeing Russell Crowe on screen made everyoune feel better! Is he fine, or what? I'd like to see that, don't know if I can convince hubby to go...he rates all movies as either "YES" (thumbs up) or "VRMs" (video rental movie) or "chick flick" (ALWAYS a VRM)...last movie we saw was "Lord of the Rings" (Sci-fi/fantasy is BIG with him!) but it was very good!

I was going to post a few recipes, but I have to put my chauffer's cap on at the moment...daughter needs a ride to dance school...on a Sunday, no less! They are choreographing her hs play..."A Chorus Line," I love that show...so I won't grumble too much I guess. Actually this gives me my opportunity to get out and walk, there's a great park by her school.

That will give me time to think up a WHOLE BUNCH of good recipes for you guys...

See you later
Old 01-06-2002, 12:01 PM   #4  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! Happy Sunday!

I started journalling on Wednesday and have already given it up! I am going to do better at that this next week. Food has been 'iffy'. Because I haven't fully journalled, I'm not sure exactly where I stand, other than the scale didn't look too bad this morning. I think I will do soup today. I have some cabbage soup and some taco soup in the fridge. I have a beef roast thawing for dinner tonight, so I might indulge in a little of that.

I got a new compact food scale for Christmas. I really do need to start watching the portions. It's been a very long time since I actually weighed or measured anything. Once you do it for awhile, it gets easier to 'eyeball' it, but when you haven't been accurate in a long time the eyeball seems to grow, if ya know what I mean. It's time to get on the ball and start over.

It was really good to see so many here, and on the weekend too. But you watch, the thread will be empty today because it's Sunday and no one wants to post a recipe. Well, ya know, we won't flog you with wet noodles if you don't have a recipe, so you all can come post anyway!

Katrina: Don't apologize for taking us back to reality. I'm sorry to say that I really think a new complacency has come again. Not that we need a constant reminder of September 11th, but now that the media is not broadcasting pictures of ground zero, I fear that some of us have just moved on. I'm not sure what I really want to say here, I'm sorry. I don't want to say we've forgotten, but I'm hoping that we're not looking at things like it's one incident that won't or couldn't ever be repeated. I think the world has changed, and we need to be aware of that. Ok, enough of that.....let's move on........* The beach sounds wonderful. I haven't been to the ocean in alot of years. I bet you all (Molly included) had a great time!

LuckyLadyBug: You ordered the belly dancing tape??? You go girl!!! I'm proud of you!!! It's really too bad that your niece is 'enabled' by all of the women surrounding her. You know, maybe she thinks she's just destined to be large and figures she might just as well go with it. That's really too bad. * I loved the picture of you from the last thread. You really are limber!!!

Mary: We go to Hooter's because the food is really good. Well, that's what I'd like to believe anyway! Glad your ankle is doing better. * Sounds like you had a nice day with your DH, good for you!

Suzy: I'm glad you came back. The treadmill sounds like a blessing. When it's cold you'll be able to still get moving. * Go ahead and cry. My gosh, you're surely entitled. It will take some time to be able to shake off the numbness you feel right now. Come visit us often, we're here for you. * When I first started WW I was adicted to Pepsi. I figured I could never stand to go to 'diet' Pepsi so I just gave it up 'cold turkey'. It was very hard, but easier than trying to cut down or switch. The first two weeks were ****, literally. I had horrible headaches from the caffeine withdrawal, but I toughed it out and I'm here to tell you it can be done. I rarely, now, will have a diet Coke or Pepsi when I'm out at a restaurant, but I order it with lemon and then squeeze the juice into the Coke to cut the 'diet' taste. It's really pretty good. But I had to go through quitting altogether to get to this point.

Nath: Gosh, I'm sorry you have been so ill since last you were with us. That's terrible news. * It's also too bad you can't find some 'buddies' up near you. But we'll be here, so just pop in often and join us. * Sounds like getting together with your cousin is a great idea. There are lots of folks that think doing this weightloss thing with a friend is a great idea!

2cute: My gosh, what a day you had! Emergency Room? Cardiologist??? Yikes! Not a fun way to spend the day! But I guess you made up for it with the movies. Good job on the NO popcorn!!!

Ok, here is a veggie recipe for you since that was the request. I have not made it, but it sounds easy enough that I might someday.

Wine-Glazed Winter Vegetables
Use Riesling wine for a sweeter flavor.

10 cups (1 - inch) cubed peeled turnip
2 cups (1 - inch) sliced peeled carrot
1 1/2 cups (1 - inch) cubed peeled parsnip
8 cups water
1 cup Sauvignon Blanc or other white wine
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Combine first 4 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain; return vegetables to Dutch oven. Add wine, honey, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Cook 9 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with parsley.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
Calories 138, Fat 3.2g, Protein 2.2g, Carb 22.4g, Fiber 5.1g, Chol 8mg, Iron 1mg, Sodium 272mg, Calc 72mg.

Gotta go. Reports to write. Talk to you all later.

"Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body." - Seneca
Old 01-06-2002, 12:21 PM   #5  

Thinthinker I too have trouble journaling. I have been trying to make it a game but failed last week due to a lunch out. When I don't have something that I can easily count I just give up. I have a lunch this week too...darn!

Taco soup - I love it but I only know the WW point count. Do you know the calorie count?

Here is my recipe:

Pumpkin-Bran Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
Ingredients:
Nonstick Cooking Spray
2 cups All-Bran or Fiber One cereal
1 cup skim milk
3/4 cup pumpkin
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or you can use 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger and 1/4 tsp cloves)
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Mix together and let rest for 5 minutes: cereal and milk. Add pumpkin, egg, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar. Mix together flour, salt, baking powder and add to pumpkin mixture. Spray 12 regular-sized muffin tins with nonstick spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
SERVING SIZE: 1 muffin

I really like these but, once again, I only have WW points. Does anyone know the average calories in a WW point?
Old 01-06-2002, 03:05 PM   #6  
You and Me in 2003

Happy Sunday to all

I went to church with my aunt today and just got home.

Weighin was good today I'm at 210 now thats down 35 pounds since July 1. I'll be at 200 by V. day just watch

I don't have any recipes today I'm sorry maybe in a few days.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:07 PM   #7  
a work in progress...

I'M BACK!

This is great! Hubby is esconced on the couch, watching football, son outside playing with a friend, daughter tapping away for the afternoon...I have the computer ALL TO MYSELF!

Lucky: those muffins sound great, I need to get some pumpkin so I can try them. I have a similar recipe for "Triple B Muffins", made with All Bran, bananas, and blueberries, one point each, I will have to dig up the recipe to share if anyone needs it.

Thinthinker: Do you have a recipe for the Taco Soup? That sounds good! I think I need to get myself a new scale too. I recently threw one away that had to be 10 years old, at least! I definitely need to stop eyeballing! Katrina, WHAT BIG EYES YOU HAVE!!

I started journaling today at fitday.com...just happened across the link reading through posts. Anyone hear of it? It's FREE, you can journal daily, keep track of calories/nutritional values (might be a good place to input the foods that you're not sure of calorie counts, they'll give you the nutrional breakdown) I'll give it a try...was really just interested in on line journaling...didn't want to BORE you guys with every aspect of my exciting life!

Mary: MMM...Ruby Tuesday's Margarita! They're big and yummy! That will kill your pain!

Suzy: Have fun with your treadmill, just don't use it for a "valet" like I did with my stair-stepper (long gone) It was great for holding towels, clothing and gathering dust. Good luck with it!

Nath: Bon jour! Comment allez-vous? That's pretty much the extent of my high school French unless you want to know where is Sylvie and whether or not Phillippe is at the pool with her. (Chapter 1/French I) Anyway, good luck to you and your cousin. My sister is my WW buddy and it definitely helps having a buddy, (in addition the great crowd here!)

I hope I didn't miss anyone...if I did, I'll catch you next time!

Here's a really good recipe from "Weight Watchers Annual Recipes for Success, 2001"...I made this at Thanksgiving and got raves:

Broccoli Cauliflower Au Gratin

2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
2 cups coarsely chopped cauliflower florets
1 cup fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup fat free milk
1 cup (4 oz) shredded reduced fat sharp Cheddar cheese
cooking spray

1. Preheat oven 375
2. Steam veggies til crisp tender about 5 min. Drain well, set aside.
3. Combine bread crumbs and next 5 ingredients and set aside.
4.Place flour in a small saucepan.Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil over med-high heatand cook 1 min or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
5. Combine veggies and cheese sauce, stirring to coat. Spoon mixture into a 1 quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with bread crumb mixture. Bake for 25 min or until breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Let stand 5 min before serving
Yield 4 servings, 3 pts/ serving; 153 cal per serving.

Now that I've monopolized the thread, Ill leave you with one more easy recipe...

Sweet Potato Fries
2 large sweet potatoes
Olive oil spray

Heat oven to 425
Peel and slice potatoes into 1/2 inch french fries
Coat with olive oil spray. Bake 10 min, turn, bake 10 more minutes. Sprinkle with salt...oh man, these are good!

Gotta go...we're off to the gym for "Family Swim." Gotta burn those calories somehow.
See ya'll later
Old 01-06-2002, 03:25 PM   #8  
I'm on my way!

Muffin recipes? I will take ALL the 1 or 2 pt muffin recipes you all have! I LOVE muffins! I am going to try those pumpkin ones! I think I have everything...I just have to check on the cereal...I think I may have to get more of it!

My dear loved one just put me into high motivation today...he had the nerve to say don't rejoin WW unless you are going to stick with it! What nerve! I lost 97 lbs on it BEFORE he came along!!! I'll SHOW HIM! Humpf!

Ok...I know its no reason to do it but I have every intention of getting this weight off even before he said that...I loved myself when I lost all that weight! I know I can do it again! So....I need you guys here so keep posting...even when I am not posting I am reading everyone of you....all day long!

I have to run for now...my dear son is a whiney hiney today! Have a great day!

Michelle
Old 01-06-2002, 03:27 PM   #9  

Kat

TACO SOUP

1 pkg taco seasoning
1/2 lb. lean, ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
3 cans Mexican bean chili (I use S&W Chili Beans, 15 1/2 oz. can)
1-15 oz. can tomato sauce
1-16 oz. pkg. frozen corn
1 1/2 cups water
1-4 1/2 oz. can chili peppers
1 pkg (dry) ranch dressing
The recipe says: Mix together & heat.

1 point per cup

I could eat this everyday!
Old 01-06-2002, 03:44 PM   #10  

Here you go Michelle

Cinnamon Bran Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
Ingredients:
Nonstick Cooking Spray
2 cups Kelloggs All Bran Xtra Fiber Cereal
1 1/2 cup skim milk
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/3 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup apple butter
1/3 cup egg substitute
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup walnuts
Combine cereal and milk in mid-size bowl. Stir to mix well and set aside for 15 minutes. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, raisins, and cinnamon in large bowl and stir to mix well. Add apple butter and egg substitute. Add cereal mixture to flour mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in walnuts. Spray 12 regular-sized muffin tins with nonstick spray. Fill 3/4 full with batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 17 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
SERVING SIZE: 1 muffin
PER SERVING: 140 Calories, 3 g Fat, 6 g Fiber
Old 01-06-2002, 05:24 PM   #11  

Smile Hello there

I just got knocked off line again. Grrrrr
But as I say.... that is in the past. I must focus on the now.

I can hardly keep up with so many posts. It is great !!!
thanks for all the veggie recipes. I love it.
I found this Pumpkin Roll on line and I think it is the same as mine.
Mine is really really good. I am going to post the one I found and I will check later to see if it is the same.

Pumpkin Rolls

3 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup pumpkin puree (canned pumpkin)
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pre-heat oven to 375
Butter/grease 10"x15" cookie sheet
Blend eggs, sugar, and pumpkin
In a separate bowl, mix flour and baking powder
Add pumpkin mixture and blend until smooth
Spread evenly on cookie sheet, bake for 15 to 25 minutes
Let cake cool enough to handle
Sprinkle a tea towel with confectioner's sugar, turn cake onto towel, and roll the cake up with the towel inside it
TIP- I cut the edges off the cake so it won't crack while rolling it up!
Let cake cool completely

To prepare frosting blend butter, cream cheese, and vanilla
Unroll cooled cake and frost it
Roll it up again (without the towel inside, of course!)
Wrap it in plastic wrap and chill
Slice when ready to serve

We did not go out of town today. I cleaned some this morning and this afternoon I went to a grocery store that is going out of business. Everything is 50%off. In fact I got Hallmark and American greeting cards for 10 cents each. !!!! That is some bargain. Even if they were originally $5.00.
All these bargains I am finding lately are costing me a fortune.

My youngest daughter is leaving at 7am in the morning for London. Part of her college scholarship she recieved included a class study abroad. She will be there a month. It is hard to let her go but I know she will enjoy every minute of it. She is going to see about a dozen plays. She has her days and weekends free to travel and sightsee.

We are taking her and boyfriend out to dinner in just a few minutes.
We are going to a Mexican restaurant called Abuelos. They are suppose to have the BEST mexican mashed potatoes and seven layer dip in town. PRAY FOR ME !!!!
Better get going...need to put on makeup and such.

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 01-06-2002 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:04 PM   #12  

Pray for you, I wish I WAS YOU, 2Cute....I absolutly love Mexican food.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:14 PM   #13  
You and Me in 2003

Evening all

Kat: If I had drunk the whole Margarita(32Oz) DH would have had to lug me to the car.

I have been playing with my CD burner today, trying to figure it out.

I had a pb&j for dinner with 1% milk

Not much going on. Thanks for all the recipes.
Old 01-06-2002, 09:06 PM   #14  

Unhappy Almost a DISASTER here tonight !!!!!

OH MY GOD !!!
Did I just get the **** scared out of me just now.
I had to come in here and relax a minute.

I told all of you that my youngest was leaving for London in the morning.
Well... I just discovered that I LOST her passport !!!!!!!
Oh my !!!!!! 7pm on a Sunday night.... flight leaves at 7am Monday.... and I can't find her passport !!!!!!

I didn't panic.... I stopped relaxed and remembered the last time I cleaned paperwork in the kitchen. That is my WORST cleaning problem I have... paperwork.
Anyway.... I remembered a basket I stuck a bunch of stuff in. Then I stuck that basket in the closet at Thanksgiving because we were having all that company.
We went to that closet, then found the basket and lo and behold. THERE WAS HER PASSPORT.
You cannot imagine how scared my daughter was. I was actually surprised she handled it so well.
It was TOTALLY my fault. I am sooooo lucky I remembered where it was. It could have been a DISASTER !!!!!!

Well friends... enough about my trauma.
I did fairly well at the dinner. . Ladybug... you would have Loved it !!!
I ate a few chips with that dip. Mmmm good.
Then ordered grilled shrimp with a spinach dish, rice, and those mexican cheese potatoes. It was all sooo yummy. I ate all of my spinach and shrimp. I tasted the rice and only ate less than half the potatoes. It was sooooooo good.
I ordered water so I even got all my water in today too.

Well I am going to go play games with my daughters. See you all tomorrow. I sure hope I get back to answer all of the posts from the last thread.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:53 AM   #15  

Happy New Year!

What a long month!!! The holidays were wonderful...but...computer problems still exist. Error messages galore. I'm drawing a blank. On top of that, I'm having problems shaking a cold/cough off. One month of it. I think it's an allergy from work. They did major construction and we're inhaling the dust. My lungs are irritated. It's better on the weekends.

2001 in review. I started 8/8/01, lost ten pounds the first month. Four months at a standstill. It hasn't been a waste (except for precious time). I've exercised quite a bit, and haven't gained it back. However, it's time for new strategy. I'm dropping the focus on ten pounds at a time. It doesn't work for me. Shock treatment is required. I need to lose 105 pounds. Hopefully, eight pounds a month. Also, I'll need to instill some form of award system.

Today, marks the first day of a new way of life. I've left a couple of bad habits behind in 2001. Health is the focus in 2002.

I need to get some shut eye for it's a work day. Will weigh in when I wake up and note it on this thread.

Sweet dreams,
Malia
Closed Thread