Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-16-2007, 08:24 AM   #1  

Default Age old question...

Hi all,

I am new hear and am seeking your collective wisdom as I am frustrated and baffled.

Three weeks ago, I quit smoking (after 15 years) and gave up my nightly bottle of wine habit. I started running 3-5 miles a day, keeping my calories to 1500-1700, getting lots of fiber and protein and drinking tons of water.

And so far, the scale has not budged. Not one ounce. Zip. Nada. What am I missing?

Maybe I just need a new scale.

Thanks for your help,
Rosie
RingsAroundRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Rosie!

Wow! You have been doing wonderful things! Congratulations on quitting smoking and on getting rid of that nightly bottle of wine! And, you're drinking more water and exercising! All of these are great for your health.

You'll need to tell us a little more... how much do you weigh now? How are you tracking calories? Are you following a formal weight loss program?

It may be that your body is simply adjusting to what is a pretty big difference--but if you give us more information, we can make suggestions.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #3  

Believe it or not, sometimes it takes WEEKS for a loss to show up, in fact I'd say give it another 2 weeks, and only THEN be concerned!

A few factors-

(how much do you want to lose/what do you weigh? It takes a long time to lose if you arnt technically overweight.)
a) maybe your scale IS off?
b) are your measurements smaller?
c) you could well be...not gaining muscle mass exactly, but when you start exercising you start to use different muscles, and I can't remember the exact explanation but I do know its common not to lose when you first start working out
d) do you feel better/healthier?
e) do you have any health issues that could make losing weight harder?
f) how meticulous are you at tracking calories?

I think you just oughta wait, as annoying as that is! Give it another fortnight and then start a health investigation.

emily
xxx
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good for you!! You are certainly implementing some great habits into your life. I'm so very happy for you.

But like the very wise Jay said, we need a bit more info in order to help you out.

It can be frustrating at times, when you seem to be doing all the "right" things and the scale doesn't want to give way. But hang in there, you are doing such wonderful things for your health - it's just a matter of time and perhaps a little tweaking- so please get back to us so we can try and solve this mystery.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:41 AM   #5  

Wow! You guys are fast -- thanks for the responses!

I am 5'4" and weigh 136 pounds. I'm trying to lose 10 pounds to start, see how that feels and maybe go for 5 more. I use FitDay to track my calories and also track saturated fat, calcium, sodium, fiber and protein. I use a heart rate monitor when I exercise and am burning approximately 400 - 500 calories per day through exercise. I'm not following any particular plan other than calorie counting. I haven't started back with weight training yet, but I know I need to make the time for it. I have noticed that my cheekbones are starting to make a long-awaited appearance, but my belly is so round I scared myself into thinking I might be pregnant. (I'm not...phew!)

On the whole, I feel great, just frustrated!
RingsAroundRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:49 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey again,

On the basis of BMI, you're normal weight now. So, it's going to be harder for you to lose.

Try lowering your calorie intake (average) by 100 cals--drop from 1500-1700 to 1400-1600. And then, if there's still no change after a week, drop another 100. You may need to be down around 1200 cals to see any weekly change, but try not to go below that level for any extended period.

Good luck! Let us know how it works!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I was basically going to echo what Jay said. I know we're all different and different things work for different people, but att 136 lbs, I know I simply can not lose weight eating 1500-1700 calories and that includes up to 2 hours of exercise a day. Oh how I wish I could. I'm thinking a drop in calories may just be in order here. Why not give it a try for a few weeks and see how it goes? So much of this is trial and error.

Yes, please do keep us updated. Good luck!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with what others have said. It's hard to lose weight at 136! Trust me, I know! You're probably losing weight, but it's so slowly you're not seeing it much on the scale yet. A drop in calories is definitely in order if you want faster results.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote