Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-28-2007, 05:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 383

Height: 65 inches

Question opinions wanted please.....

Ok.....so here is the deal. I am a 23 year old girl who loves to sing. It is my passion.....it is what fills me up. American Idol is going to be near where I live in about a month. I would LOVE to go try out......except for one thing.....I weigh 380lbs. I can't think that they would even consider putting me on the show at that weight.....but part of me still wants to go. I have been singing since I started talking.....and I went into the medical field ( because I love that too...) and everyone I know has always asked me why I haven't gone into the music industry. Well.......the answer is my weight. I have always said it was one thing or another.....but the pure and simple truth is that if I was a normal weight, I would be in the music industry. So here I am at 5 in the AM thinking about what to do.....I mean.....do you think an overweight girl could even have a chance? Honestly? Lets here some real thoughts on this......thanks!
gabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:20 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey gabi,

Of course we can only give you our opinions. Mine is--I think that if you tried for American Idol at your current weight, you'd be disappointed with what happened. It's just the way the world is.

That's not to discourage you from singing, though! I think it's wonderful that you're a singer! You should keep that up.

Perhaps your desire to be a singer could help you become motivated to lose weight. At your size, you would probably want to be supervised by a doctor and a nutritionist. Have you looked into any medical weight loss programs? That would be the way I would go, if I were in your position. Your weight is at the dangerous level.

Good luck! And glad to see you here!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 328/-/150

I am going to be completely honest with you, from one chick to another.... I don't think that the show or America would ever elect a woman of our size as the next American Idol. Yes, Reuben won, but he is a man and its different. American & show biz is way too concerned with outside appearance to be able to vote solely on someone's talents. I am sure you can sing like an angel, and I am very jealous of that talent, I always wished i could sing. But the honest truth is that it probably doesn't matter if you could sing better then every single person there. This is Hollywood we are talking about. The girls who have been "heavy" on the show that they made to seem huge, weren't very big, just bigger then the other size 2's up there.

Now, all that being said. I still don't think you should but your life on hold just because you are carrying some extra weight. If its something you are passionate about then go try out. Give it your all. Just don't be hurt or surprized if they pass. You will still have had the experience and be able to say "Hey! I tried out for American Idol!". And heck, you never know, I could completely wrong & you might get far with it! Heck, I know a bunch of chicks that would vote for you! But I would hate to see you 5-10 years down the road wondering "what if....". So if you are strong enough to try with the knowledge that you might fail or get passed on, and possibly embarrased just because of your size then I say GO FOR IT! I personally wouldn't be that strong.

But American Idol isn't the begining & end of the singing world. You can sing without having to edure ridicule from a panel of "experts".

Last edited by Andie5205; 06-28-2007 at 07:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Andie5205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #4  

I agree. Unfortunately that show seems very appearance oriented to me. I hate to say it, but even with amazing talent they are looking for the "size 2, bleach blond" -- look at the last person from there that someone in the media said was overweight, headed for health issues, etc. -- she was thin by most peoples standards. However, if you don't go you'll always wonder -- and I'm wondering if behind the scenes there are possibly scouts at the tryouts who could hook you up anyway, leading you in the right direction.

Good luck in whatever you decide -- you know we would all vote for you!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Gabi...for the fun and experience of it, i say do it!!! Just ignore Simon!!! Paula and Randy are usually very nice. Unfortunately, at your size, I don't really see them picking you. And that is unfair, i know!! But I still think you should do it. I think if you don't, you'll always wonder, what if??? Get a girlfriend and make it a day!! Have fun with it. Maybe we will even get to see you on tv. Honey, even at my size, I don't think they would pick me if i could sing. And I too envy you because I WISH I could sing!!! And you may get some tv exposure and that could set the wheels in motion for something else.

Okay....so I say GO FOR IT!!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:04 AM   #6  
~One Day At A Time~

S/C/G: 301.2/Ticker/250

Height: 5 6"

Hey Gabi.

I agree with with the others. But you never know, so I say go for it. Show them what you've got. Good luck to you!
ThisTimeIsDifferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #7  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Am I the only one who does not view American Idol as some kind of epitome of vocal showcasing? I admit I am biased against such pop culture. I don't really get it. My advice: aspire to something above and beyond American Idol. Something above and beyond petty judgements.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I totally agree with Spinymouse. American Idol is a joke. I actually auditioned for that as a joke (I'm an actress, I wanted TV time) a few years ago and made it on TV as one of the worst. Even if I had vocal talent, I wouldn't go on that show - it's just plastic, fake, and yes... rigged. Remember Diana DeGarmo? Season 3? I know her personally - they really screwed her over. They made her sing 4-5 different songs each night (as they do with all the contestants) and showed her worst performances so that she would get voted off towards the end. Then, they worked her very hard, she got sick, and they wanted her to sing anyway. They didn't push Fantasia nearly that hard. Yes, I know that Fantasia had a potentially inspiring life story, and Diana was just a teenage girl from the suburbs, and I though probably would have voted for Fantasia anyway for that reason (if I cared enough), what they did to Diana De-WHO?? (people hardly even remember her...) was totally unfair.

GO for your singing career. Do you play guitar? If not, pick up an acoustic, learn some basic chords, and either start composing your own music or get someone else to write/collaborate with/for you. Who says you can't chase your dreams, even if you ARE heavy? Go out and get it, girl... just not through a shallow, superficial show called American Idol!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

I say try out!!!! Will you win? Probably not. I haven't heard you sing, but even if you were a size two, the sheer number of people trying out makes the odds of getting on the show ridiculous.

But it'll be fun! and a great experience!
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

One other thing, though:

You might as well try out, anyway, and here's why:

You actually have to get past two rounds of judges to even get to the big three. Hardly anyone even gets past the first round, let alone the second or the third. IF you DO EVEN MAKE IT to the big three, THAT is a huge accomplishment in and of itself that you should be proud of, regardless of what Simon might say.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I say screw it only because of some of the things already mentioned--that it's rigged and ridiculous, and the audition process is WAY more than a single day. They are NOT out to find the best singer--they are out to entertain America. From what I've read and spoken to others about, the entire audition process can actually take up to an entire week (this is why some people auditioning lose their jobs--they wouldn't lose their job being gone just 1 day for an audition). They ask the people who make it from round to round to kep wearing the same clothes so they can piece things together and make it all look like a single day when they air the show. They will also make you sing certain songs THEY pick for you, so you can't only sing what YOU want to sing. This is how they get those parts of the audition episodes where a bunch of people are all singing the same thing.

If you do decide to audition, I wish you the best of luck, but I would certainly not place my singing hopes and dreams on the shoulders of a corrupt competition.

FWIW, I've been singing for forever as well, and I, too, have been asked why I haven't tried to do more with it, and my response is typically something along the lines of, "because I don't look like Britney Spears." There's no doubt in my mind I have more singing talent in my pinky finger than Britney has all together, but a little hair bleaching and a few tanning sessions certainly won't hide my physical flaws

In short: don't skip the auditions because of your weight (after all, Lakisha and Mandisa were bigger gals, and they got onto the show). Rather, skip it because it's a dog and pony show, not a real talent competition.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I say go for it. You'll always have it in the back of your mind that you should have.

Just don't go there with any high expectations. Odds are you won't make it through. Odds are you very well might get your feelings hurt. The heck with odds - go out there and give it your all!!!!! Have FUN with it, and whatever happens - happens.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #13  
oh to be this graceful

S/C/G: 293/270/160

Height: 5'9''

The idea that your even thinking of not trying is baffling, there are too many things in life that we could regret, Try It and see, And if anything you can say you went and sang your best. If there are scouts good luck and I wish you well. If they choose a size 2 blonde well let them have her at least you can sing. And if some one opens there ears and chooses you, THen you will have bragging rights. Kudos and Good Luck, I am rooting for you
Anna
flawlesscube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #14  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

go for it.
continue to lose weight
meanwhile if your voice is that great go into studio work and when you are thin be a break out artist.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm sorry... but I think it's a waste of your time to even try out. If they allow you any advancement at all, it will only be to make fun of you. Don't let them do that. It will hurt you too much.

There are many better ways to advance yourself than that show.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote