Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 11:38 AM   #1  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

Thumbs down Alternative Group (Oct 14th 2001)

We are a group of non-traditional lifestyle individuals. We are partnered, single, widowed, Pagan, Atheist, Agnostic, Christian, Muslim, gay, bi-sexual, bi-colored and straight. We bask in our diversity and unite in the same goal of losing weight. If you are relatively open-minded and accepting of ALL walks of life, please join us.
Old 10-14-2001, 11:50 AM   #2  
you can call me flower

Hello. Happy weekend everyone. You must all be living the good life bacause none of you have been very social these days!

I didn't get on the scale today because...I forgot. If it isn't first thing after I go potty, forget it, I don't do it. Silly huh? But yesterday It said I lost 2 pounds. It's about time! I was almost ready to throw it threw the window. I walked 12763 yesterday if anyone is interested! I think I may take a break today and start over at 1 mile. Why? My hips and knees are a bit sore. I don't want to kill myself. I have walked more each day for 10 days straight. I don't have time tomorrow to do it so today is a good day to reset it. I still have a goal of walking 5 miles without a break. And my first weight goal is 169. That way I will be just considered severely overweight instead of obese. Like it matters. But I will feel better. I am 188 now.

The Mayo Clinic on Healthy eatting has a different food pyramid. It focuses on most plant based foods. Under 250 pounds, your goal is to eat 4 veggies (you may have unlimited), 3 fruits(unlimited too), 4 carbs (wholegrain), 3 protein/dairy (I like this because I have soy cheese and never know if it is a protein or a dairy), 3 fats and 75 sugar calories plus one serving of activity each day. It is roughly 1200 calories. If you really go overboard on your fruits and veggies...it may be more calories but not too much over. I will let you know how I like eatting this way. And if I see any progress.

I had planned on going to the outdoor swap meet but I don't feel like wakeing Chris up. Maybe it will be a day of home. Laundry and dishes still need to be done before my work week starts again tomorrow. (neverending) ~flower
Old 10-15-2001, 08:52 AM   #3  
Must Shrink.

Good morning everyone! The moon was sooo cool this morning, almost completely dark, just a tiny sliver of crescent showing at the bottom. So wonderful to walk under.

I have homework this morning, and laundry to do. It's incredible the volume we have of laundry. Let it go for 4 days, and it's piled to the ceiling.

My daughter is having a hard time adjusting to middle school as well. Not writing down what she needs to hand in, and a very tough teacher. If it isn't done, she gets a zero. She is floored that this teacher is so tough, after her older brother did so well with the same teacher for 2 years in a row.

She is really going to have a tough year, charm is not going to work with this guy...

I think grade 7 and 8 are wickedly hard on the kids with all those hormones raging through them.

Lam
Old 10-16-2001, 09:57 AM   #4  
you can call me flower

Hi LaMorgan! I'd say hi to the rest of you, but you aren't around! What is with that? Ruthie-you've been so quiet lately. I know you are very busy, but stop in and say hi. Amy. is school running you ragged? Wildfire? Come out and play! Where is everyone else??????

I am doing good. I am following the mayo clinic's food pyramid. I am not use to 3 or more fruits a day. This will be interesting! I did get my minimum 4 veggies in. I had one too many carbs yesterday but I did everything else good. The scale had better reward me again soon. I thought I could loose 2 pounds a week this month. I just don't get it. I am excersicing, watching my diet, no soda or desserts.... My good behavior will catch up soon...

Work is fine. I was a bit bored yesterday but I think that was because I was tired and was a clock watcher. Grif's medicine helped him sleep through the night, but of course I woke up every 2 hours because he hadn't made any noise! I can not win! I had a really yummy drem. (Don't tell my boyfriend!)

That's all here! Everyone, post me an update! `flower
Old 10-16-2001, 06:33 PM   #5  
deleted2

I'm letting the stress of a micro-managing meeting-crazy boss get to me. I'm eating more than I should and in the form of sugar mostly so my blood sugar is all over the place. This is embarrassing that I let her have this kind of power over me. I've got to rise above this--maybe invest in a big jug of rescue remedy!
So that's what's happening with me. I wish I had something inspiring but there you are. I know that I should journal to get to the bottom of all this but I'm really resistant--so that means that I really have to bite the bullet and do it.

Old 10-16-2001, 09:03 PM   #6  

Flower, I feel bad b/c I haven't been posting and you've been so faithfully posting, and you're doing so well on your program. The truth is, the postings in this group have all dwindled, and it makes me feel more wary of posting, since the content of my messages is after all about personal stuff, and if I don't feel part of a real community I feel like I'm just hanging my sh*t out there for no reason. Does that make sense? It's not fully rational, but that's the way I've been feeling. I will start posting more, I promise.

I took the GRE (grad school SAT) on Saturday. Last week and the week before were so stressful with everything I had to do that by the time I finished the GRE, which was the last of all the stressful things, I literally felt like I was going to pass out. Of course I didn't sleep AT ALL the night before, and I got up at 6 to get ready, so I was tired and drained and I just felt like I needed a blood transfusion. But I'm really pleased with my scores -- I got a 540 in math, which is like a miracle; a 660 verbal and a 670 analytical. That puts me in the 39th percentile for math, 93rd for verbal and 77th for analytical. Pretty damn good. Thank God that's over with!

My car broke down AGAIN. I had to throw another $200 at the damn thing.

I have a ton of typing to do. I decided to study first tonight and then type instead of the other way around, so I'd better get started. The good news is I'll make back the car repair money and more this week.

I will be back, I promise.
Old 10-16-2001, 09:21 PM   #7  
Hot Stuff

Hi Flower! I'm still kicking, just haven't been online much. I think I've finally gotten past the pain of this IBS flare-up. *knock on wood, fingers crossed, salt circles....the whole nine yards* I think work is finally starting to return to normal after the sale of all shares to the new owners. The long-distance audit is coming to a close, the new budget is in final stages...I actually had a few minutes to clean up my office today. I went out on the weekend for a first look for a ballgown for our formal Christmas party, and found an outfit that I love, but I want a new leather jacket this year, and that dress that I'll wear once costs as much as the jacket I have my eye on. Practicality may win this one, as much I would love to have the dress. I have a dress in my closet from a few years ago that I haven't worn to a Christmas party yet. Strange, I am back down to the same weight as when I bought it, but it fits me differently. Obviously, I need to get back to those ab crunches. I've decided I'll try it on again in a month. If it fits, I'll wear it, otherwise I'll still have a few weeks to find a new outfit.

So, that's really all that's going on with me. I'm loving the season, watching the trees explode into vibrant reds, oranges, yellows, and bright golds. I had one of those rare moments after work today when I was out walking...fading light, softly falling rain, and a sudden flutter of leaves swirling to the ground around me. Ah, to bottle those moments....

The next few weeks will be busy with hubby's birthday on the 22nd, Samhaine and our 3rd anniversary on the 31st.

Ruthie, hope things are going to settle down some for you soon. Too bad about the car repair....just when you think they're running great they do that to you. Sounds like you did great on the tests! Sorry I've not been posting...I don't want you to feel you're posting just for the lurkers.

Hi Lamorgan and Goddess!

Let's get this going again, girls! Amyjo, sheila, Linds?....anyone else still with us?
Old 10-16-2001, 09:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

I am here! I have been lurking... I have been too tired and too busy to stop and make a meaningful post and too be completely honest I really need to be studying now and not on the computer but it keeps calling me saying Amy.... Amy

We finished MIL's pond expansion today.. the last thing we have to do is winterize our pond and get the fish and plants out that may not make it through the winter.. other than that I am planning on not doing too much for the rest of the fall/winter other than gettting ready for the holidays and I have a March of Dimes Project I am about to have to start working on. (I have got to learn to say No! I am too busy but I have "sure use me" written on my forehead!

I have gotten back on track pretty good for the last week. I have decided to not take any more money to school with me other than what I have to have to buy a couple of diet soda's. (That way I will not stop by Sonic or the Yogurt shop on the way home) I have taken my lunch the past couple of days and I feel much better I am eating much more in tune to my dietary needs, instead of my stress needs. I actually went to the gym 3 days last week along with working in MIL's yard all weekend. So I am feeling pretty good. If I can just stay focused with all of the stuff I have to do with school!

I don't see me reaching goal weight by November now but maybe by the end of the year... Who knows I will get there! It took more than 12 months to get my rearend in this shape it is going to take more than 12 months to get it out of this shape ... whether I like those facts or not!

Hugs to all,
Amy
176/148/130
Old 10-16-2001, 10:22 PM   #9  
you can call me flower

Yeah, just 12 hours later and the gang is all back! Yipee, horay!

Ruthie-I don't mind personal stuff on this thread. I think sometimes that is the best thing about this thread. It is the personal sh** that got us fat isn't it. If we don't sort though it, it will never get resolved, and we will never get fit! But I do agree, it is awkward talking to yourself in posts...Wondering if "friends" have read your news or if it is just strangers judging you.

Can you believe I have had a minimum of 4 servings of veggies for the last 4 days? That is 16 + servings of veggies in 4 days. Probably more than the whole month of Sept combined! They are pretty damn tasty too! I do hope the fiber over load doesn't give me unwanted side effects sometime in traffic. (Where is a potty, now!!!) My boss fed me lunch at her house. She made us Lean Cusines, spinach salads and fruit. And it was bosses day and she fed me! That is why I got her a card, bunch of gum and stocked the fridge with bottled water.

I am glad I decided not to do my booth for Pagan Pride day. It is now a Pagan picnic instead. There are legal issues with the city. There will be a lawsuit brought up for discrimination. But you would have thought the committee would have told us before today that we wouldn't be doing booths. It would have been Sunday. I was waiting to see what was going on before I told her I wasn't going to participate. There were 46 other booths other than mine anyways... Owell.

I feel good about my program. I am not sure if I will make the 8 pounds gone by Nov 3rd but I am sure trying!!!! ~flower
Old 10-17-2001, 09:51 AM   #10  
you can call me flower

I know, I know. I just posted last night!!! But just wanted to share. I got on the scale this morning. I started getting serious on Oct 3. 14 days ago. I have lost 4 pounds already! Thats 2 a week! Yipee! I have 4 more to go in the next 2 weeks. I think I can do this! ~flower
Old 10-17-2001, 04:57 PM   #11  
deleted2

Flower, the fiber queen! You're doing great!
Ruthie, are you still doing the food journal? If you are could you direct me or start a new thread. I want to post there--it helps to be accountable and put it all out there.

Well, that's it for me--Im taking a nap! I did breakfast and lunch for 46 people today and cleaned up after. Believe it or not I don't want to think about food the rest of the day!

~~Eydie

Old 10-17-2001, 07:18 PM   #12  
Hot Stuff

Congratulations, Flower!!!! You're well on your way to that 8 lb goal!

Goddess....46 people???? You deserve a nap!

Having kind of an "ick" day. Ate okay...bagel for breakfast, soup for lunch, eggs for dinner. Would really like to go for a walk but it's so COLD here today! Snowed just north of TO today! Might just veg tonight and read my Canadian Living magazine that arrived....something in it about a bone-building workout.

I've decided I am going to get back into a shape that will allow me to wear that dress in my closet to the Christmas party.....and I have the perfect embroidered silk slingback sandals to wear with it....I won't have to spend a cent!

How is everyone else doing?
Old 10-17-2001, 07:31 PM   #13  

Flower, veggies are the best! There are very few veggies I don't like. I haven't been eating enough of them myself lately. Congrats on the loss!! You're right, you can do this.

OK, Goddess, I'll start a new food posting thread. And you guys are all welcome to join me there! I don't anticipate I'll be able to stay in my points range for the first few days, but I've got to get back OP. And exercising. I have been a slug. Everything I do these days is just all about the future -- that's why I'm working so much, and so focused on getting into grad school, and so on and so forth. It's like now doesn't exist, it's just the prelude. I have to focus that way in my weight loss efforts too.

Time to get back to work. I just got bored and had to stop typing for a bit.
Old 10-18-2001, 07:31 AM   #14  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Default recipe request from a lurker

Hi Pagan babes & etc!

I lurk here pretty frequently - not sure if I've ever posted, although I've crossed paths with one or two of you elsewhere. I was wondering if the person who posted a soup recipe (red lentils, sweet potatoes, & swiss chard were in it i think) a while back has it easily accessible. Pretty sure it was here. It sounded so good! I, as usual, thought I would remember the details but, of course, didn't I went looking through the threads but couldn't find it... If it's not easily accessible, don't worry about it -- I'll just improvise and see how it goes (definitely wouldn't be the first time)

Have a great day, All!

xo
babette
Old 10-18-2001, 05:20 PM   #15  

Hey Babette. Boy are you lucky I'm a packrat! Here you go -- this is from vegkitchen.com.

CURRIED RED LENTIL SOUP WITH SWEET POTATOES AND GREENS
Serves: 6
Both nourishing and sublimely satisfying, this thick soup incorporates
fall's first sweet potatoes with seasonal greens. If you can‚t find red
lentils (available in specialty food shops as well as natural food
stores), which cook to a warm golden color, use brown lentils. The soup
won‚t be as visually appealing, but will taste just as good.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 cup chopped red onion

2 cloves garlic, minced

6 cups water

1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed (or substitute brown lentils)

2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced

1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

2 teaspoons good quality curry powder or garam masala, more or less to taste

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

1/4 teaspoon each: cinnamon and nutmeg

6 to 8 ounces Swiss chard other fall greens

Juice of 1 lime

Salt to taste
Heat the oil or margarine in a soup pot. Add the onion and garlic and
sauté over medium heat until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the
water, lentils, sweet potatoes, and seasonings. Bring to a simmer, then
simmer gently, covered, until the lentils are mushy and the potatoes are
done, about 20 to 25 minutes.
In the meantime, wash the greens, remove their thick mid-ribs, then
slice them into narrow shreds about 2 inches long. Stir into the soup
along with the lime juice. If the soup is too thick, adjust the
consistency with a small amount of water.
Continue to simmer gently until the greens are just done, about 10 to 15
minutes. Season to taste with salt. Serve at once, or let the soup stand
for an hour or two, then heat through as needed.
Closed Thread