Old 05-18-2008, 02:35 AM   #61  
Keep Chuggin'

S/C/G: 166/150/120

Height: 5'1"

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Like it this way - ain't changing a thing!
miriam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #62  
TBL "JB" Blue Team

S/C/G: 285.1/ticker/155

Height: 6'0"

Ovo-lacto, organic/free range only. It's not so much animal cruelty as I took an environmental biology class and found out the impact farming animals for food has on the environment, particularly greenhouse gases (methane). I don't eat fish (this was hard), it's almost imposible to really know if it was caught in a low impact way, farmed shrimp and other fish are actually as bad or worse for the environment.
Ok I'll get off my .
LittleBigGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #63  

For many years I've fit between these two categories:

Ovo-Lacto
Based on eating grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts and seeds, eggs and dairy products.

Vegans
Based on grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts and seeds but eliminates all meat, eggs and dairy.

Many people would never believe I'm a meat eater again. The pregnancy with my 6 year old kicked me back over to the "other side". I knew I was pregnant when I wanted a big juicy steak with a major dose of A-1 sauce. I haven't looked back since.

I'm considering heading back to this lifestyle. Not sure what I want to do just yet. I may be a little in this stage right now:

Semi-vegetarians
This refers to people who eat predominantly vegetarian but will occasionally eat fish, poultry or meat or they may eat mostly vegetarian but will eat fish, there is no real exact description for this term.

I spoke to my DH about transitioning again but he's a true meat and potatoes kind of guy. I may be doing this as a solo act. I'll keep you guys posted.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #64  
My cat is fat too.

S/C/G: 155/150/125

Height: 5'6''

Vegan!!!
DaraMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:30 AM   #65  
Registered Diva

S/C/G: 172/142/119

Height: 5'5

vegan, dear.
lointhecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

I am a semi, but my hubby is a strict no meater. I love seafood and just can't give it up, though.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #67  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

vegan!
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #68  
Empress/Queen

A few months ago I reverted to my "roots" as an ovo-lacto vegetarian, which lifestyle I followed for decades until the year my mother died when for a variety of reasons, I decided to eat meat for a period of time. That period has now ended and so that's my answer to the question lol: ovo lacto
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #69  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Default took the words right out of my mouth...

mamakaydee, who I don't even think is on this board any more, summed up what I think (below)... I qualify as "semi" - I am a strict lacto/ovo (free-range/organic when I eat milk & eggs)... BUT I eat fish, and I try to always make good choices about which kinds from here: [OK, I was told I can't post links yet, so if you are interested you will have to search for Monterey Bay Aquarium's seafood watch pages - VERY useful if you are a conscientious fish/shellfish-eater]

My biggest concern is not supporting an industry that I despise - factory farming. Beyond caring about how the animals feel, I just think that consuming some tortured beast just *can't* be good for anyone.

I haven't eaten beef/pork/chicken, etc for more than 20 years - but in principle, I have less concerns about an animal raised and slaughtered humanely (still, it's icky and I have no desire to eat meat) than milk from a high-output dairy or eggs from chickens crammed in small cages.

Ugh - but I married a carnivore. So I am just pushing to pay the big bucks for the organic, free-range meat when we must purchase it ... it's like the universe is testing my convictions!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakaydee View Post
Predominantly vegan, but not exclusively so. There's not really a word for what I am, and my views are complicated to explain without people's eyes glazing over! But here goes anyway

I avoid most animal products for ethical reasons. I don't eat any meat from farmed animals, and try to avoid non-meat farmed animal products, as well (dairy and eggs--but really only from companies whose practices I am familiar with, OR if the food has already been purchased and will go to waste if not eaten). I have fewer ethical objections to eating wild animals, which means I do eat an occasional fish if it has been sustainably caught. I do eat some other sustainably-harvested sea creatures that are low down in the food chain and don't have a central nervous system (meaning that it is believed that they don't feel pain)--oysters, clams, mussels, scallops. I don't eat any wild game, even though I think eating, say, a hunted deer is more ethical than eating factory-farmed milk, but I just couldn't stomach it and have no urge to eat that sort of meat.

Perhaps I am a complicatedtarian!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 180/143/125

Height: 5'3"

Hello all I am new and a new vegetarian- I went Lacto vegetarian right after Thanksgiving= I had previously given up red meat 3years ago and only ate Poultry and Fish- Now I am done with meat.
I met the most beautiful healthy person who had gone Vegan and I want her health and radiance so I am planning on giving up cheese soon...Although I have to admit an addiction to it even though I Have been Lactose intolerant since birth...
Meenamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:05 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

Starting today, I am back to being Ovo-lacto. I was a vegetarian for two years but stopped due to iron deficiency anemia. I was the lazy type who ate granola and fruit and wasn't into tofu, veggies, or beans; its a wonder I lasted two years. I am back now with tons of tofu, bean, and veggie foods I enjoy and look forward to getting back to being a vegetarian for the new year. I'm so glad I've made this choice and I'm tracking my macro/micro nutrients to make sure I'm getting enough so no anemia this time.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #72  
~~~~~~~~~~

S/C/G: 210/207/140

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Hi. Is anybody here doing vegan right now?
Sissy2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #73