Old 12-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #46  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Right now I'm a semi-vegetarian since I'm still eating poultry and fish occasionally. I gave up red meat two months ago and plan to make the switch to lacto-ovo within the next couple of months.

Don't know if I could ever go fully vegan since I love cheese, but we shall see.
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 141/141/120

Height: 5''2

I am an ovo-lacto veg. I have not eaten meat in almost 3 years, but I did eat fish and seafood for about 6 months into it. Sometimes, I really want to eat fish again but I do not struggle with anything else. I do think that too much cheese has contributed to my weight gain this past year. I am trying to be much healthier in my food choices in this new year, as I have realized (with my recent trip to a scale and to purchase new clothes!!) that vegetarian does NOT equal healthy and fit!!
anne kelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #48  

I think I am a Semi-vegetarian.
nice classification , by the way
kenfronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:03 AM   #49  

Height: 5ft6"

I am vegan, although I just started this new way of life after reading Dr. Furhman's "Eat to Live." I eat mainly fruit, vegetables, tofu and beans and whole grains which I try to keep to max 2 servings per day. I have been losing weight and I feel great. I consider myself vegan 95% of the time because if I am going out for dinner or on vacation I don't make a big fuss whether something I am eating contains eggs, dairy, etc. This works for me because my decision to become vegan was for health reasons rather than moral ones.
mesilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I'm about 90% vegan. On the weekends it's hard for me to eat healthy, so my 'treat', rather than something carb-heavy or sugary is fish... LOVE love shellfish. I might have it once a week or so. And occasionally I'll have eggs. but mostly I eat fruits, veggies, legumes, some soy, and vegan healthy fats.

I used to be a junk food vegan, buying all the frozen goodies at WF, like 'vegan pizza bites' and 'mac and chreese', and Tofutti. Omg, ok... even my carnivore DBF LOVES Tofutti.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

Since veganism is based on the elimination of all animal products from the diet, how can one be 90% vegan?
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #52  
What am I waiting for?

S/C/G: 315/254/160

Height: 5'6"

I was wondering the same thing myself? I think either one is or one isnt vegan or vegetarian.

I am not entirely sure if I should use the title vegan. I eat completely vegan however I do still use leather items I had prior to eliminating animal products from my diet.

I am torn as to wether or not to throw away the items or just use them until they are worn out and replace with non animal products. specifically I am talking about a pair of Dr. Martens I have had for a long time and an wallet I have had for 3 years. I do feel a bit like a hypocrite but do not want to be wasteful either.
jasmine987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

I've been a vegan since last September and I had the same struggle deciding what to do with my leather items (specifically my Doc Martens and my leather watch strap). I decided to keep using the items because tossing them didn't seem very vegan either! When they wear our, I'll get vegan replacements. My sister gave her leather items away when she became a vegan.

As long as you aren't buying NEW leather stuff, I think you can definitely call yourself a vegan!
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #54  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsysunqueen View Post
Since veganism is based on the elimination of all animal products from the diet, how can one be 90% vegan?
Veganism is based on the belief and philosophy that involves embracing a cruelty- free lifestyle.

It's pretty clearly defined, really. Vegans don't EVER use animals for their own purposes (food or otherwise) where it can be safely avoided. I state that qualifier, because people often have to take medications that are tested on animals or have some animal ingredients, and these may be needed for survival, when all other alternatives have been exhausted.

Food choices are the area in which free people have much choice. Vegans choose not to consume animal products, at all.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #55  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I have heard people say, and I agree, that leather goods you had before you became vegan don't need be thrown away unless you feel strongly about it. Like SoulBliss said being vegan means embracing a cruelty-free lifestyle, what cruely to animals is prevented from you throwing out something you purchased before? None, so unless those leather goods really bother you I agree you should just keep them until the wear out and buy non-animal products to replace them in the future. Or like betsy said her sister did, you can always give them away then you aren't using them but they aren't wasted plus it could save them from purchasing that item in the near future.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #56  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

^^ Agreed! Why waste something you already purchased or were given prior to veganism? Unless one can afford to donate the item and purchase a vegan one, it is more sensible to keep the thing and use it until it wears out.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 190/179/125

Height: 5'7"

I am an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian. I can't give up eggs and dairy products, tried it, became VERY ill (that's with using replacements like soy milk), so it's more for my health. Plus no animals are killed in the process which makes me feel much better about it.

I get so many people who rag on me for being a Veggie ESPECIALLY family, and the whole, "well why don't you eat seafood, that's not meat" really gets to me. It IS meat, it was living, and that's all that matters. Plus it tastes gross.

Last edited by scorpio88; 05-07-2008 at 12:57 PM.
scorpio88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #58  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio88 View Post
I am an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian. I can't give up eggs and dairy products, tried it, became VERY ill (that's with using replacements like soy milk), so it's more for my health. Plus no animals are killed in the process which makes me feel much better about it.
I used to think that no animals were killed in egg/dairy industry, but when I did research I was horrified to find out the truth. I only mention this because you might not know that.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #59  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Dairy cows do have a very short lifespan and when they have filled up their usefulness (within a couple years of their life), they are slaughtered for meat. Same goes for chickens. Both also aren't treated very well during their short life. It is a shame. I do think dairy though isn't the best for our health but eggs aren't so bad. Although I gave up dairy/eggs/meat for health reasons, not for animal rights reasons.

It is also possible to avoid soy and give up dairy. I actually eat very little soy and usually it is in the form of tofu or edamame. Again, just FYI. I believe everyone has a choice in the food they eat. Not eating meat is a big step for many so I'm happy for those that can choose that path.

Last edited by nelie; 05-12-2008 at 02:04 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #60  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio88 View Post

I get so many people who rag on me for being a Veggie ESPECIALLY family, and the whole, "well why don't you eat seafood, that's not meat" really gets to me. It IS meat, it was living, and that's all that matters. Plus it tastes gross.
Just wanted to add that I was very much like you with the dairy cows/chickens for eggs for a long time. Even before switching to vegetarian I really thought California was full of "happy cows". I watched a few documentaries and read up on how they're actually treated - quite frankly it's just as bad as those that are slaughtered. It's something you have to decide for yourself and whatever you decide is your decision alone. As far as the health concerns did you talk to a nutritionist about why you were ill with no dairy/eggs? From what I can tell we can replace everything that they provide via other food or even supplements.
Please don't take this as an attack, just something to think about.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote