Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

Question Low-Carb and Vegetarian?

I find that I am most successful in losing weight and managing my hunger and overeating when I adhere to a low-carb diet. I have tried having steel cut oats and grains as part of a healthy diet, but I feel that I still end up being more hungry, than when I do a more low-carb diet.

I find myself wanting sincerely to be vegetarian. I would eat meat if I could afford organic and humanely treated meats, but alas, I cannot.

Does anyone have any tips for a low-carb and vegetarian diet that is very filling and cheap?
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:27 AM   #2  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

Eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, seitan, some soy products, protein powders, green veggies, nuts, seeds, some fruits (like berries) and so on are "low carb" foods that are vegetarian.
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Although not exactly lowcarb, South Beach Diet can be modified to be vegetarian/vegan. Legumes (beans, lentils, etc), seitan, veggies (limited on starchy ones), tofu, nuts, etc. Lower glycemic foods may help you a bit. You could also look at combining things like steel cut oats with some almonds or similar mixtures.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

You may want to consider reading the book "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet" by Rose Elliot. You should be able to find it on Amazon or Ebay or perhaps even your local library. It also includes recipes.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

thank you, everybody! I feel upset at myself because I sit and watch informational movies and I know the opinions on meat and animal protein, and yet, i can't always resist a mcdonald's hamburger, or not have animal protein.

I wish I could just eat normally like other people. I think that if I ate vegetarian and low-carb, I would lose a good amount of weight. I tend to feel really good on raw foods--it is just that they are so expensive! yikes!
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/176/125

Height: 5 foot 1

Thumbs up Rose Elliot book

Kim, you are absolutely right in your suggestion. The RE book is brilliant and very helpful. I spend a lot of time in the UK ( she is English ) and was able to pick up a cheap second half copy for only a pound at a market. It lowered my blood sugar from the mid 130's to 86 in less than 3 weeks.

Harder to get here, but as you say perhaps Amazon or Ebay.

rolypolypudding is offline   Reply With Quote