UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:24 AM   #1  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Default NHS Couch to 5K

Hi! I've not been in here in ages.

Last week, I started the NHS Couch to 5K training. I completed cycle 1 but did not feel ready to move up just yet so am repeating cycle 1 again this week.

Has anyone else had success? I do have several friends who have used it to great effect. I have never fancied running but even after only 4 runs, I can feel myself getting stronger, little by little.

Next stop is getting my eating sorted out. It's not too terrible but I can definitely see places to trim!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Tatia
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 92/88/60 (Kgs that is)

Height: 1.65

Well done on getting started. I think it's good to go at your own pace

I'm not really a running person but I've heard the couch to 5k programme is really good. They also have a plan for increasing strength and flexibility which I think I will start this week or next week.
Nanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks for posting about this, Mummy Tummy. I didn't know it existed so I'll look into it!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/138

Height: 5ft 3

i tried it and loved it. I always seem to get sore ribs when running though but it really does trim the tummy
Rechyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #5  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Nanu, thanks, I'll look for the strength training programme, too. I need something to do on my off nights. I will likely go back to yoga but haven't gotten that motivated yet.

Silverbirch, if you are at all interested, I say give it a go. I couldn't even complete Day 1 when I started and I am currently repeating Cycle 1 but tonight was my 5th run and I felt that I was stronger and had more endurance already. It was noticeable.

Rechyl, I get sore everything from running!!! :-)
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:54 AM   #6  
New Healthy Mum

S/C/G: 229/145.5/141

Height: 5ft8

I looked at it and thought the early rounds were easy, but to progress to the next rounds was so hard.

So I created my own that meant less jumps in between stages and I am currently podcasting it and doing it as I go. Each week I complete a new stage and run about 2-3 times a week until I get it perfect.

My area where I live is hilly so I have to make more of an effort for the different stages.

Yesterday I was out running and did 2.2km without stopping and that felt amazing. I can't believe how far I have come. I want to be able to do the straight 5km by Halloween and hopefully I will manage it
sammymilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I love C25k! I have had to repeat days from time to time but I am in week 6 and running 10 minute intervals. Next step will be 20 mins without stopping! I never thought after the first day that I would have made it this far in a relatively short period of time (although longer than 6 weeks for sure). Take it at a pace that is comfortable for you. However, one piece of advice: I only repeated a week/day if I wasn't able to complete it the first time or if I was able to complete it but miserable. I didn't want to wait until the interval was "easy" to run. I don't know that you will be ever fully comfortable running an interval so knowing when to move on is important! Good luck!!
AM02135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #8  
New Healthy Mum

S/C/G: 229/145.5/141

Height: 5ft8

Well I am on 15 minutes run, 5 minutes walk interval and this resulted in a total of 31 minutes of running and 10 minutes of walking this morning.

It feels great to now be able to do that and that I can say that I did 5.25km this morning and the majority was jogging.
sammymilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #9  

I completed the C25K training and am about to run my first 5k. For someone who used to get winded running for the bus, I can now run for 30 mins straight without pain. It is a great app! I cannot believe that I used to cringe at the thought of running for 60 sec!
Krinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 243/204/140

Height: 63"

This has been around for a long time - before the nhs app, but it does work well as a plan and the app too. I've done it in the past, twice. And completed a 5k race for life both times.

I'd really like to return to it over winter when I've lost a bit more weight - I have a dropped arch so am going to have to see how it reacts, but hope to do a 5k with my teen daughter next summer.
PurpleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 243/204/140

Height: 63"

Well I bit the bullet after posting here, and did day 1 yesterday managed it ok - last set of the 8 was a bit hard but to be expected.
PurpleJ is offline   Reply With Quote