UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #16  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

It gets better...

... I had a medium day on Friday and an Up day yesterday. This morning I feel stuffed, breakfast in bed was a bit unwelcome and it was only scrambled eggs on toast rather than the usual bacon and eggs on toast.

4 hours on and I am still feeling uncomfortably full.

On another forum ( ) this is a recognised phenomenon apparently, the feeling good, healthy and well motivated after 3 or 4 weeks.

Still have a headachey feeling though so I am concentrating on hydration today. Wonder if it will show on the scales? If it does I won't worry, just adjust and keep going!
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 242/190.5/153

Height: 5'6"

Am on day 4! The two fast days were a bit easier than I expected, but did make sure to get into bed earlier to avoid late-night cravings. I bought some whey protein powder to make shakes and added some fruit and nuts to get up to 500 cals. Actually lost 6 pounds, but don't really want to lose too quickly or I won't keep it off.

The woman on the tv show said it didn't matter what you ate on the alternate days, but she hasn't seen me eat, so I'm not going to take that comment as gospel!
TeachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #18  

Week one down and I have lost 6 pounds this week. This is normal for me when starting any new weight loss method and it is definitely a great start.
I found the second fast day this week really challenging- I probably drank a litre of fruit tea!
PinkWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #19  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

I've lost 3 pounds thus far.

5 days (800 or less calories): 2 days (1000+ calories). On "down days", depending on my appetite, I'll eat around 100 calories throughout the day to hold off hunger, and other times I'll eat about 200 calories divided up into 4 meals: breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner. I have found that this way, I don't feel like I'm in starvation mode and constantly hungry.. On 1000+ calorie days, I typically stay within the 800 - 1200 range with home cooked food, otherwise I find myself anywhere between 1000 - 1500 calories if eating elsewhere.

A great light snack are plain cheese quesidillas. (1) serving is 240 calories. I had this for lunch. Recipe: x1 tortilla, x1 Tillamook cheese slice, fold tortilla in half, cut cheese into 1/4 pieces and fill tortilla, grill without butter/oil - yum!
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 222/197/132

Height: 5'4"

Well I fasted from Friday after dinner until yesterday dinnertime and I'm down almost 6lbs this week! My weight has been stalling for over a year despite my best efforts and ridiculous amounts of exercise, so if this is the thing that gets it going again I'm willing to put up with weekend hunger if I have to!

BTW, the first fast day I used Slimfast (or the Swedish equivalent) - the hunger was unbearable. The second day I had actual food, albeit very low in calories and it was much more manageable.

Last edited by wana wear a bikini; 08-13-2012 at 03:38 AM.
wana wear a bikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #21  

Ive started alternate day diet today. Thought I would try for couple of weeks to see if it suited me.
I didn't eat till 5pm today and will have normal day tomorrow then same again on Wednesday. I'm only doing it two days in seven like the guy on horizon.
I'm 5ft 7 and 11 1/2 stone so want to lose a stone. Would like to think I can do it as I found today easy enough but I know I eat more from habit than hunger and that's hard to break
Nice to know I'm not alone
Lorripie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 170/ticker/slim

Height: 5ft 6

Really haven't been that hungry today (normal day), I think because of my fast day yesterday. Lost 1.2 pounds, I'll see if the scale goes up again though tomorrow (eaten maintenance calories today). I may try a fast day tomorrow, depending on my appetite.

I hope this thread keeps going, maybe we could tell the horizon people about it if works well for a lot of us
3CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #23  

I am very interested in trying this. I want to do Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday as down days, Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday as up days, and Friday as a moderate day.

I am doing The New Rules of Lifting For Women program, though. I want to lift on up days, and do light cardio on down/moderate days, with one down day a rest day.

Does this sound like a workable plan? I anticipate 4-500 calories on down days and 15-1600 on up days.

Last edited by LaurieDawn; 08-13-2012 at 04:28 PM.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 242/190.5/153

Height: 5'6"

Finished 3rd alternate fasting day today. I did feel hungry at times, but surprised when it passed. I had gained 1pound after yesterday's 'normal' eating, but we had company and I did eat a lot!
I am finding it easier to do when I'm busy, so may opt for Mon, Wed and Fri as down days when school starts again. Or so I think! It will be nice to see how we're doing after a few weeks.
My goal is to cycle for 40 minutes every other day and am not finding that difficult on down days. I drink the protein shake after.
TeachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:37 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 223/203/167

Height: 5"5

it was my birthday weekend this weekend just gone so i enjoyed myself rather than fasting. i had an up day yesterday and today is my first down day. my stomach is rumbiling already lol.
im feeling pretty upbeat though reading through these posts, you have all done so well! welldone! xx
nicolae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:04 AM   #26  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I have been following a LC JUDDD version of alternate day dieting since March. Several years ago I lost 50lbs on JUDDD. I recommend getting protein for breakfast hardboiled eggs, egg beaters, bacon, turkey sausage, hungry girl mug omelets, etc. The protein really makes a difference in hunger management for me.

1 HB egg and 2 strips micro bacon is 110 calories. The protein keeps me full til lunch or beyond. I tried shakes and they just didn't cut it for me. I need to chew something.

ETA: We (dh and I) also do a lot of homemade soups on DD-down day. If you search WW zero point or one point soups there are SO many. My faves are vegetable, chicken vegetable, chili and taco soup. I also like to eat chicken with green beans or a LC tortilla to make quesadillas or pizzas on DD.

I heard that you can watch that Horizon program on youtube; but I haven't seen it yet.

Last edited by mariposssa; 08-14-2012 at 04:20 AM.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:27 AM   #27  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

OK...one more thing. If you are going to try this WOE be prepared for the scale to do crazy things. It will bounce up and down a lot. If you are a daily weighing person;you'll want to be prepared for high numbers on UP days. I usually see my lowest weigh in on my 3rd DD of the week. But, then the scale will bounce quite a bit until the end of the next week and that number will get lower. Last weeks low number will start to be next weeks high number. It is like 2 steps forward one step back all the time.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 202.5/189/120

Height: 5'2

I tried this a few years ago and hated it, I found it really hard to count having only 500 calories, having not really counted calories before and not really realising how little 500 is when you have to include all the little things like butter and drinks. I found it really really hard on down days when I was starving hungry and didn't even have enough calorie allowance for beans on toast. My bf eventually looked it up and told me how unhealthy it was, I would never do it again.
roobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #29  

No disrespect intended, but what does 'looking it up' entail, exactly? I can find 'evidence' that supports a finding that ANY way of eating is unhealthy. Certainly, more experts than not would say calorie-containing drinks, butter, and toast should not be a consistent part of any healthy eating plan. I am not saying you shouldn't eat them, merely that an inability to include them on a daily basis is NOT a hallmark of an unhealthy plan.

I am curious about this and whether I can feel good doing it. But having read some of the literature on the impact fasting has on blood chemistry and hormones helpful to weight loss, it seems very healthy, assuming sufficient calories and nutrition on up days.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #30  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposssa View Post
... egg beaters... turkey sausage, hungry girl mug omelets, etc. ... LC tortilla to make quesadillas or pizzas ....

I heard that you can watch that Horizon program on youtube; but I haven't seen it yet.

I'm not sure we can get many of those here, mariposssa.

Youtube has the prgramme cut up into 15 minute chunks, happy watching!

(I'm off to try to find soem of thise American diet foods.... what are they?)

Last edited by stef; 08-15-2012 at 03:46 PM.
stef is offline   Reply With Quote