UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165.9/ticker/100

Height: 4"10

Default Online dating sites

I'm thinking of finally joining a dating website. So... anyone tried one?

Good experiences? Bad experiences? Which site(s) do you like/dislike?

Any advice at all appreciated.
puzzledpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 161/147/130

Height: 5'5.5"

I don't live in the UK but I can't imagine that experiences are all that different from anywhere else. You must have a thick skin and keep your expectations in check (as in, pretty low). Approach meeting men as the potential to make a new friend to take some of the pressure off.

I've met 40 or so men online in the last handful of years and did manage to keep one around for nearly two years but all in all I wouldn't say I've had great luck considering that most barely knew how to have a general conversation.

Then again my sister, several friends and co-workers have all met just 2 or 3 men online and married the last one they met!

Good luck and congratulations on your weight loss!
kidjng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

My friend met her current man on zoosk.com. Its still early days but she's really positive about him. We both went on Plentyoffish.com and had terrible luck with it, our theory is that as it was free, the men weren't really that serious about finding a potential relationship. But a thick skin is definitely a must as it is very, very hard going. I'd do some research into different sites, I know they do sites for people with different interests like cooking, keeping fit etc so its easier to find a like minded person. I'm not sure how much help that was but good luck!
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #4  

I also am in USA and have been on a dating site for a little over a year......I have no horror stories, and have made a few great friends and met a great man I dated for 8 mos........turns out he was not Mr. Right, but nonetheless a great guy!
Be careful and don't expect love overnight. If someone does not respond when you write them, don't take it personally.
I think online dating is a great opportunity to meet people you would not otherwise meeet. I use plentyoffish.com (pof.com) and okcupid.com...both of which are free.........

Best of luck to you!!!
Moe
moving to 1derland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #5  
I think I can...

I met my DH online! Not on a dating site though, on AOL years ago when ppl still used AOL to chat lol.
My sister met her husband on plentyoffish!
There are alot of creeps and weirdos & married men on those sites, but some good guys as well.
I say go for it, if nothing more you'll at least have some fun dates.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165.9/ticker/100

Height: 4"10

Thanks guy, I think I'll have to look into a few different sites before I decide which one to go for.
puzzledpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #7  

Hi, I have had a great experience with dating sites. I wasnt big on going out drinking so i was finding it hard to meet guys. After 2 not so great dates (not bad but just didnt really like them) i met my now boyfriend who i have now been with for 3 years and he is just perfect! Also I got my mum onto it and she met the man of her dreams too. I now try and get all my single friends to try it as I really do think that is is the perfect place to meet a partner. Go for it! x
missloulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

Definitely worth a go but, as already mentioned, don't go in with high expectations and don't take things too personally. I've got some hilarious tales to tell of awful dates with men who'd blatantly lied, misrepresented themselves etc. I've had nice dates that just didn't click and am now dating someone who I did totally click with. Early days yet (about 6 weeks), but so far so good.
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #9  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I've tried a few dating sites, some paid and some free. I've had no luck at all - all the people who've contacted me have been looking for instant sex, and I'm old-fashioned, and want a friendship, then maybe a courtship, then maybe a bit of..... (deleted). He may yet be out there though!

oh and ps, I have contacted some guys as well, I'm not THAT old-fashioned! but with pretty much the same results.....

Last edited by Rosinante; 11-17-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, it's probably my age but I've found all the older guys out there want either a nurse or a purse. I think I'll stick with being a merry widow!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #11  

I was on OkCupid for a while, it was free (which might be a good idea to start with to see what it's like before you pay for anything) and quite good to use. All of my friends who have used both match and OkC have preferred OkC. I definitely think it's worth a shot! I mean, what's the worst that could happen? You might find someone great!
eryn s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I married the first one I met & we have been together for years with a toddler. LOL. I guess I got lucky. Go ahead and give it a try!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:21 AM   #13  
Against all odds

S/C/G: 340/331/170

Height: 5'8"

Hi,

I'm not from the UK, but I do know how you feel about dating sites. I had an excellent relationship for 3.5 years with a guy I met on Okcupid, and when that ended I wasn't quite sure what to do. Oddly enough, within a month from the end of that one relationship, a new guy contacted me and we've been dating now for about a month. :] alot of people on there are really shallow and only want instant gratification, but you have to stick to your guns and keep your heart protected because sure, there are some unsavory individuals out there, but I think it's just as dangerous as going out and meeting someone in person at a bar or club.
Patti Stanger (the millionaire matchmaker) says that there's nothing wrong with online dating and to put a semi- professional picture of yourself up (you HAVE TO look good :]) she also says that there's alot of cute and confident guys at the gym, so put on a little mascara!

I think that having confidence in yourself and your beauty is one of the sexiest things a woman can have, and if a guy doesn't notice how amazing and wonderful and special you are within a few conversations, then he DOES NOT deserve your time.

Good luck in your Journey!
- Brittany
darlingbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

Just a note that I met my wonderful husband online. We have been married almost a year now.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #15  

Height: 5'3"

I know one guy who went on a dating site because he wanted children. He found a lady and now they have twins.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote