Old 07-25-2006, 10:16 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 250/184.4/146

Height: 5'2"

I know about those bikes, they do come up on you before you know it. The park that I do most of my walking on does not allow bikes, only walkers/runners/joggers.
Here lately most of my walking in indoors with the Leslie Sansone videos.
I did 9 miles yesterday and 6 this morning. I'm trying really hard to get the weight off while it's summer and I can get out more.
Anyway, hope everyone is having a great day. Pick up those feet and get moving!
Also HarpoChicoGroucho, you have had an awesome weight loss. Boy, Way to go!
exquisitern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:25 AM   #17  
hara hachi bu

I had a crappy experience walking the other day. First of all, I don't live in a very walking-friendly neighborhood. It's not pretty (mostly commercial), and even the neighborhoods show little pride in ownership. I did manage to map out a few routes ... 4 miles round-trip to my library, and 3 miles if I do a big loop. As I was walking the loop one day, four punk teenagers walked by me and the boy made a "fat lady" expression at me with his arms out and puffing up his cheeks! He was no skinny himself, and neither were the two teenaged girls he was with! Whatever, I wanted to slap him.

Anyway, I'd rather walk somewhere else, on some pretty trails somewhere, but it's so inconvenient to DRIVE somewhere just to walk.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 AM   #18  

You know it pisses me off when you're trying to do something for yourself and you have these idiots out there who are trying to get some fun at another person's expense.
When I walk, I hate to say it, but I don't look at other people or listen. If they speak, I usually will say good morning or something. My focus is on my walk and my accomplishment on how fast or how far I was able to go. I always have to remind myself of who's program I am working. I see alot of people who walk/run/jog ten times better than me, but it doesn't help me any. When I jog and I do get this big butt moving, I just tune out around me and focus on the jog and not what other people are thinking or seeing. I know people watch me, because I have had other people speak to me and saying wow, I can't do that. If someone is smirking or saying something about me behind my back, I just don't notice. I don't have time for that bull! This time it's all about me!!!
Anyway, sorry for the idiot children. I know they thought they were funny, but I know how you feel.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:58 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
I had a crappy experience walking the other day. First of all, I don't live in a very walking-friendly neighborhood. It's not pretty (mostly commercial), and even the neighborhoods show little pride in ownership. I did manage to map out a few routes ... 4 miles round-trip to my library, and 3 miles if I do a big loop. As I was walking the loop one day, four punk teenagers walked by me and the boy made a "fat lady" expression at me with his arms out and puffing up his cheeks! He was no skinny himself, and neither were the two teenaged girls he was with! Whatever, I wanted to slap him.

Anyway, I'd rather walk somewhere else, on some pretty trails somewhere, but it's so inconvenient to DRIVE somewhere just to walk.
Most teenage boys are complete IDIOTS. He was probably showing off because of his friends. Don't let them get you down. Be proud of yourself.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:02 PM   #20  
hara hachi bu

As soon as I got home, I told my OWN fifteen-year-old son that he needs to never - EVER - make fun of an unfit person trying to get fit. I don't think he ever would, as he sees my struggles with this firsthand and it's his personal mission to be as healthy as possible in every capacity.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #21  
Shooting Star

S/C/G: 166/160.2/131

Height: 5'5"

What a total jerk- Do not let him get you down- you are doing this for yourself. Bad karma to him- may he get on the insulted side tenfold!
HDStreetBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:15 PM   #22  
it is what it is

S/C/G: 167/167/130

Height: 5'4"

WOW Equisitern! I can't even run 3 miles in 42 mins (of couse I have never tried) Good for you!! Just the motivation and goal to keep me going. HDStreetBob keep up the good work where ever you walk, just keep doing it.

Luckyducky how great it is for you to be able to have your brother home for a visit. Give him a BIG THANK YOU for all he is doing in Iraq. God Bless Him.

So far so good this week. Put in seven miles so far. Plenty more to go. One successfull tidbit, I was able to figure out the weight tracker and have lost some weight, now I just need to keep it going in one direction... to the right, to the right, to the right!! I have a trip to Chicago coming up in September and would love to be down at least 10 lbs.

Have a good night everyone

lachae49
lachae49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #23  
it is what it is

S/C/G: 167/167/130

Height: 5'4"

(I really have to learn to click on the next page.)

Phantastica you did the right thing not slapping the crap out of that loser kid. My God woman you have lost 63 pounds!!!! I am so impressed. I am struggling to lose two pounds a week. What else are you doing to help you lose? I know my downfalls are sweets. I have gotten better. Are you on WW? Fill me in what else helps you lose.

lachae49
lachae49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #24  
hara hachi bu

Thank you, Lachae! I loved your comment/compliment.

I'm in TOPS ... an inexpensive, weekly support group. And, OF COURSE, 3FC has been tremendously helpful.

The very first thing I had to do was remove as many stressors and energy suckers from my life as possible, because I knew weight loss would be harder than quitting smoking. I addressed a few toxic relationships, learned about boundaries with family/relatives, and switched jobs.

I do a lot of research, a lot of reading. I try different techniques to keep it interesting ... Mediterranean Diet, using a pedometer, I've read almost every diet/health book on the market, etc. When I stagnate, I try something new to shake it up. My latest has been SuperFoods Rx and using fitday.com.

OH, and I drink a lot of water ... 64 oz a day ... and I eat 4 servings of vegetables (at least) a day.

I am a very sedentary person, and I desperately need to work more activity into my life.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:07 PM   #25  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

OoooOOoooo I wanna join! I have been walking for about 9 weeks now. I am up to a jog/walk intervals for 3.3 miles. So this is perfecto! The fastest I can walk the 3.3 is 50 minutes. I really enjoy the outdoors but lately I have been heading to the gym due to the heat. Yest I could only get through 2 miles at 3.5 mph because of pain in my foot. I did and hour of weight training though! I've only been jogging a short time and in that time my feet are still trying to adjust. I have the special running shoes and all now so I'm just taking today to recover. I found that adding 3lb arm weights to my walk has really helped with the wiggalie jiggalies.
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:39 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/150

WOW! Is it ever hot out today!!!! And humid!!! Got my walk in, ( kept telling myself just a couple more feet, that is the only way I could do it today). But, it sure feels good to be done with it, knowing I am doing something good for me!!!!
Stevi-rocks, welcome!!! Come on in!!! The water here is fine!!! Loads of inspirational folks to be motivated by!!!
Phantastica, so sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience, I want you to know personally, you are one of my inspirations, you have done so well, and I certainly hope you are impressed and pleased with the hard work you have done so far!!! I know I am certainly impressed by you!!! I always believe, what comes around, goes around, and it will happen to the people who are unkind... sometime, I don't even have to be around to see it, I know it will be...
Lachae49, thanks for your thoughts regarding my brother, it was great to see him ( and the rest of my family), he looks good and he seemed in good spirits, it will be tough to know he has to miss the rest of the holidays with us until next April, but, like all things this too shall pass... he is a nice guy, and one of my personal heroes.
The rest of you, thanks for keeping me motivated, and accountable, I feel I have to post on here and let you know that I have done my exercise for today and this is a GOOD thing. Otherwise, I would have just lounged around this evening, being lazy and tired, now, I feel rejuvenated and ready for the battle of the bulge once more!!! Hey, y'all have a tiggerific evening!!!!! Keep posting, and keep on truckin!!!!!
luckyducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I got my 3 in!!! And the weather was pretty nice!!! But I had to maneuver around sprinklers 4 times!!! I did walk through them a bit, to get a mist, but I didn't want to get soaked. Aren't people supposed to water their grass in the mornings? Why would someone water at 7:00 p.m?
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:35 PM   #28  
hara hachi bu

I did NOT get my 3 walking miles in, but I biked for 5 miles. I stepped outside to walk to the library and it started raining. I knew I could make it there quickly via bike, but I didn't want to walk. So ... hopped on the bike, but it never quite rained heavily, so I rode a few extra miles.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:45 AM   #29  

Good Morning all!
I've been doing the inside walk video's lately, just because it has been so hot outside. I walked 3 miles last night and 6 miles this morning. I weigh in on Thursday, so I'd like to see a 2-3 lb loss.
Stevirocks: I'm trying to incorporate jogging in my outside walks. In a 6 mile walk, I try to jog 3-4 miles. The first time I tryed to jog when I was at 215, my body went into total rebellion. I have osteo arthritis in my joints and I could hardly walk for about a week. I just started back and I have advanced very slowly and so far so good. I have 5K walk with the American Diabetes Association on September 23rd. I'm trying to research local 5-10K walks in the Mid-South area so I can go. By the way, a 5K is equal to 3.1 miles. My future future aspiration is when I get below 150 lbs, is to try and run. I just have to see what happens.
Phantastica: Wow, you have had a great wgt loss. I try to keep up my water intake too. I like to think it helps, I've heard some say that they don't and they still have a good wgt loss, but I think the water is probably good for me anyway. It also sounds like you have done a lot of positive things in your life and I commend you for that. Congratulations on biking 5 miles!
Lachae: Congratulations on the wgt loss and 7 miles!!!
HarpoChicoGrocho: LOL about the sprinklers! Sometimes if I'm hot, I try to maneuver to the sprinklers and not away!!
Anyway, everyone have a good day and this is such a supportive thread. I'm glad I found it and everyone here. Take care and keep on moving!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #30  
How does this thing work?

S/C/G: 250/221/150

Height: 5' 5"

THANK GOD I FOUND YOU!!!!

I'm really determined to step up my exercise plan. I do water aerobics on Mon, Wed and Fri. But I this week I decided to incorporate Leslie Sansone's 3 Mile Fat Burning dvd on Tues, Thurs and Saturday. Posting here will keep me motivated.

Lucky - Bless you for starting this. What a fantastic idea. You have so much enthusiam. I hope it rubs off on me!

Exquister - I'm a Leslie Sansone fan too. I have a 2 mile, a 3 mile and her pilates dvd.

Harpo - Your weightloss is impressive. What motivation for me! BTW, I think a stranger yelling at me would make me walk a little faster too. And consider some pepper spray! lol
Amany is offline   Reply With Quote