Old 08-29-2006, 06:04 PM   #226  
Swimming Mouse

Good evening all.

Ginny: We have documented the incidents, and he has a behavior plan in place. His parents blame my poor ED kiddo for all the problems, and do not want the two of them together, but there isn't anything we can do. My supervisor is aware, and I'll talk to her about it. We're short 2 TAs right now, so I doubt we have another person to go with us, but we might.
I'm glad you're going to pick him up... I hate when my kids get picked on, because they can't defend themselves against it very well. My school is remarkably nice about everything and most of my kids (except my ED kiddo, and his issue is his big mouth) do just fine, although I can't say that they have any real friends. Its a nice change.
As for this mouse? My doctor managed to get me scheduled for surgery tomorrow evening. I talked to my principal, and she was totally okay with me being out tomorrow and Thursday. She told me to let her know if there is anything they can do, which frankly... surprised me. I know it shouldn't, not after being there all last year, but it does. Hopefully, everything will be ducky and I'll be okay on Friday. I think I will, because as far as I know, there won't be any incision. I'm having the blood work done in the morning, and then seeing my doctor briefly, then... I need to find something to do for the rest of the day because I don't need to be at the hospital till 4:30. I would almost welcome a stupid in-service. Maybe I'll go over to the school and see if I can get some of the stuff I need to get done in my classroom done... although my principal told me not to worry about it, and take care of myself first.
I'll make sure to touch base with you all by Friday evening so you know that I still have 9 mouse-y lives.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #227  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Ya'lls posts are so long they are hard to read..lol. It's double funny because mine tend to be also.

Mouse: Touchy Feely--how old? If young, try making a placemat with 2 hands cut out and pasted on the mat. Everytime TF tries, physically place their hands on this "time out" mat. The hands won't stay long but the touching and the mat/consequence may soon make a connection. Just an idea.

Our students all touch (but know on the shoulder, etc). We are working on not getting up out of their chair without raising their hand, not shoving their paper in front of us while we are watching someone talk, and looking at the teacher IMMEDIATELY when the lights flicker. This is the hardest thing. Having to tap them and get their attention all day (and having some look back down while waiting) is time consuming and a large part of why we have very small classes.

I may look into fairfax. Knew about the Gallaudet program (think that's mostly for enrolled (expensive) students. Can check. My English and verbal skills are excellent. I grew up mainstrem (no interpreters) for most of my education. I don't want language as a second language necessarily because one of the things I like is being around deaf culture (which I didn't get most of my life), using my own second language (ASL), and influencing kids to know that they CAN do things.

My TOP idea of a perfect job is a deaf accomodation activist. It's too early for it (deaf culture likes people they know well and are involved in the community), but I'm facinated by it. Could be why I got a legal assist. degree first. I'm gonna make it. I'm hoping to get pin this year. If so, I will get tuition reimbursement by the state (we are considered a state job). In the meantime I want to talk to the education board, look into fairfax, and seriously ask questions this year (in general).

I'm so relieved that my teacher is (so far) strongly taking the role as a teacher (I had doubts..and she is on probation). I am still teaming with lesson plan ideas and so forth, but I'm not having to ultimately be responsible and that's good.

Back to school crafts: any ideas?
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:29 PM   #228  
Swimming Mouse

Craft ideas: We're going to do scrapbooks this year. My mom found kits really cheap (no covers, though... I'm not worried by this, we can get them bound at Staples pretty cheaply if it comes to that, and laminate paper to make covers), at Lakeshore.Com. I can get one huge kit and lots of smaller ones for less than $50. I have money in my classroom budget for that so when I go back, I'm going to buy the kits. We're also doing a classroom quilt on the first day of school with our names. Its actually a math activity that somebody showed me when I went to an elementary school workshop over the summer. You use a blank 100's chart (or I just drew squares on paper in MSWord, because I have 3 kids that will need to use the computer or they will spend forever trying to get the letters in the boxes), and write your name in the boxes... over and over again till its filled. Then, each individual letter gets a different color. So, if your name has 2 A's, and you choose red for that letter, ALL the A's in your name are in red-colored boxes. Then, you cut off the rest of the white paper, and tape or glue them together. We're going to put ours on bulletin board paper, and hang them somewhere in the room. It fits my first month of school writing theme, which is 'All About Me', and also ties to the scrapbooks.
I have two books to go with these units: one is called "The Patchwork Quilt', and its a really awesome book. I'm hoping I bought the right one, because I had trouble finding it, and my folder with activities is at school. The other is a book about a girl who takes a summer vacation to various African-American history locations and keeps a scrapbook on the trip. That's to introduce the concept of scrapbooking.
We've also done collages (and we'll do one again, though last year doing collages about ourselves took many, many, many weeks of work... it nearly drove me NUTS till we finished, so I'm not sure I want to do that again!), and one year when I was in school, my teacher traced our heads, and then we wrote words that described ourselves. I'm thinking about doing that activity with the kids the last day of the school week... And my non-readers/writers can use pictures, and the other kids can use words. I'm not sure about that one yet.
As for TF: he's in high school, but mildly cognitively impaired. Your idea is good; right now he's on a point sheet, but I may give that placement a try. He's not always in one location though, so that is hard. And he understands the point sheet. I have 3 kids using one right now, and 2 more in reserve in my desk for my newbies.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:58 PM   #229  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

hello.

just checking in really quick! tons to do before i can sleep! i also must iron my skirt and sweater for the iep meeting which suddenly got scheduled once the educational adovcate called the county sped supervisor. can't (sarcasm!) wait for the fun!

mouse, good luck with your surgery! your quilt activity is a math activity that i've done during the first week of school for quite a few years with my first graders! they love it and the quilt is quite impressive in the hallway!

casey, we do tend to be wordy, don't we?! LOL this time of year, our chatter turns to school topics quite a bit!

gin, loved loved loved the postcards...thank you! i will admit that you found cards of my favorite beach that i do not have hanging on my fridge! LOL i can NOT believe that you called walking at the beach boring! how dare you!

gotta run...... it is 11 and i've got 2 or more hours of work ahead of me!
take care,
robyn
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #230  
burned out bus driver

Robyn- I am in shock- you actually got an IEP meeting! I really, really hope it does some good, Ds (and his mom!) deserve a break and some intelligence here. Glad I found some cards for your fridge....gotta admit the lady at Cahoon's thought I was a wee bit off my rocker that day. (and sorry, as for me and walks, I prefer hills and turns.....guess I am off my rocker!) How are you managing getting everything done this year? You sound SO busy.

Mouse- best of luck with the surgery. I'll be thinking of you and hope that all goes smoothly. How pleasant for you that your principal took the idea well about being out for 2 days.

Casey-I can be a major league blabber puss here, as you will find out. Then there are times that I show up for a "drive thru visit" and unfortunately have to be brief and short. Sounds as though you are doing well with weight loss?
Are you on a special program and getting excercise? Whatever you are doing is working well, I am just curious.

Well, I was so well behaved this morning driving the interns around town. Y'all would have been proud of me. I even dressed up ( my supervisor noticed, figured that if I did not look like a "bus driver" it might go better).
Glad it is over, the 30 passenger buses have horrible suspensions and drive like a bowl of jello. The only good point is that they have A/C which my big bus does not.
I was a good girl and got a 3 mile walk in on the treadmill- then dragged Dd out for a walk to town to finish school supply shopping. Now all we have to do is get shoes for Ds and I am DONE. THe shoes I will do tomorrow......when I am going to my Dm's and will be passing a large shopping area.
Okie dokie......gotta go. See ya!
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:11 PM   #231  

ECmom-I'm not on any special program. I calorie count, but that's just a tracking/education method. I aim for healthier foods, smaller portions, eating approx 5 times a day, drinking more water, balance of foods (stuff from all the food groups) etc.

Our first week we are learning how to spell each others names. They've practically grown up with the same group of kids but they still can't spell each others names so that's this weeks spelling words. We've cut up the individual letters and let them find the letters and glue them. We've pasted the names on the word wall, and tomorrow we are using dyed spaghetti and mac noodles to make name collages. I like the quilt one. We have "favorites" poster, and ABC handwritting mini books. The teacher is doing assessments all day tomorrow so I am doing "dirt pudding" follow instructions activity, we are making sequence books (from pictures of different activities), freeze tag (to get them used to looking at us when the lights flicker), classmates name bingo, and safety is our theme so we took pictures of them doing things right and wrong and have books we will make. I'm also making a who, what, when, where word wall.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #232  

S/C/G: 218/218/168

Height: 5'8"

ginny- sorry, i am a very private person and just posting here is a big step for me.
mouse- you are in my thoughts and prayers
wow, you guys have been busy posting and i am way behind. i will try to get caught up someday.
things are rolling right along here, just very busy!

trob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:49 PM   #233  
KAR

Hi All,
Sorry I have been MIA for about a week. Just have been very busy with school and had two family reunions in the two weekends. So I haven't had really a lot of time to come on here and chat with you all. I have been really tired when I get home from school in the afternoons and have to lay down for about an hour nap. I think once I really get into the swing of things, then I will be fine.
Trob, as for art and crafts ideas with my kids. I tend to buy simple crafts with large pieces that they can color, cut out if need be (I have cut out for the ones who can't cut) and glue them on to whatever. Plus my kids like to paint. Plus they would go over to an 7th or 8th grade mainstream art class with a teacher who had been doing Art for 20 some years. He would help them draw their picutures and then have them color it in or paint it. One activity my kids loved doing is making picture frames out of large colored sticks and gluing large puzzle pieces or anything else that is large on them. Hope these ideas help you. Glad your year seems to be going well.
Robyn, hope the IEP meeting went well. I have been thinking about you and your son. Did you get your homework done last night? Hope you were able to get in some sleep.
Ginny, you should be so honored to have to drive the interns around the town. Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. Didn't take you long to fall right back into the same routine did it? Must say I that I missed my TOPS meeting last night to go to a 7th grade football game to see a couple family friend's boys play. So I didn't weigh in. I know that I am up a little bit from last week, since we had a family reunion on Saturday and had no healthy food choices there and overeat. I promise I will go next Tuesday though. I am trying to be very good this week.
Mouse, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything goes well for you. Sounds like you have a very understanding principal. Hope you were able to find something to do today without going into school well you were waiting to go to the hospital. Hope you are recovering nicely and have some results soon as to why you are bleeding.
Melody, hope all is going well with you.
Angela, only a week left huh? Sounds like you really enjoyed the time off with your baby. But miss your other babies. Sounds like your oldest is jealous of his baby brother. Hope things are working out well for you all.
Welcome Casey! My name is Kerry and I teach junior high age students with Multihandicaps. I am also a stepmommy to three kids, twin boys (8) and a little girl (10). I go to TOPS and am my chapter's co-leader. Glad you could come join us. There is a great group of ladies here who give wonderful support, advice and encouragment.
This is the first year I have had such a big class. I have 8 students. They are very polite and well mannered. I am not use to that. LOL They are very slow in getting their work done and very clingy. I just have to get use to them being that way still.
Well I better go and relax a little bit before going to bed. Talk to you all later.
Have a wonderful evening.
Take care,
Kerry
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #234  
Swimming Mouse

Evening, all.
I'm home now, they did the surgery today. The doctor didn't see any polyps or fibroids, which is good, and there was very little lining. She did do a D&C to remove the little bit of lining that was there. She thinks the bleeding might be from the birth control pills... I have been on this brand for 5 years with no issues, but they did just start a new generic with me about 3 months ago, so that might be it.
They had to give me percoset at the hospital, and something else in the IV because my blood pressure was really high from being in pain (so they said, they couldn't find any other reasons). They also gave me anti-nausea meds, which was good... I think they went with general anesthsia, instead of just the IV sedation. I was really disoriented when I came out of it... apparently I tried to get off the oxygen and the blood pressure cuff. And I was shaking... that was a combination of being cold and really low blood sugar from not eating. My friend that picked me up took me to a pasta place and got me some tortellini and sausage and a cookie then brought me home to make sure I ate. I feel a little better, but I'm glad I don't have to go to work tomorrow.
And if I didn't already tell you how wonderful my doctor was... she called me around 8:30 tonight (I wasn't quite home yet, she missed me by 20 minutes), just to make sure I was okay... And she made the post-op appointment for 5:00 next Wednesday because I wasn't sure that I could get out of the school at 4:00 the first day. She closes at 5:00... and of course, she did the surgery today, which just makes for a really long day for her.
I gave her a bamboo plant this past spring, but I wish I had another way to thank her than just words. Any ideas are welcome....
I'll check back in with you tomorrow... and get more personal then.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:35 AM   #235  

S/C/G: 160/158/135

Height: 5'5

Mouse I am glad that your surgery went well today and that you are able to rest for a few days. Sounds like you have a great dr.

Tomorrow my three year old is going to Oklahoma with Dh. I have never been away from him except for when little brother was born 2 months ago. I am already getting sad. He loves being with daddy and he is going to see Memaw and Papaw and they spoil him rotten so I am sure he will be fine. It is going to be way to quiet here this weekend. I am not going because I don't want to have Jonathan in the car for 9 hours. It really messes up his sleep pattern and that is not a good idea right before I go back to school. But I will enjoy my time alone with my baby this weekend. My days at home are numbered and I am really starting to get sad. But once I get back in the swing of things I'm sure I will be much better.
babybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:13 AM   #236  
burned out bus driver

Mouse- I am so glad that the surgery went well! It is good to hear from you- glad you are out of the hospital and regaining your strength. Your doctor sounds like a sweetheart. I recently heard of someone who was also wondering what to do for someone who had really gone above and beyond.....and I also know from personal experience.....a heartfelt letter of thanks and appreciation would probably mean more than any gift could. I know I have kept the notes of thanks I have gotten from parents. Feel better......get your strength back. (how is Imp's bedside manner?)

Trob- no problem! I understand......I was shy early on also. You are welcome here no matter what, we are all here to help and encourage each other.
I know it can be tough to catch up with back posts. Sometimes I just have no time to do so and just jump back in , hoping that someday I will catch up.

Kerry- you sound busy. I know you will get to TOPS next week......and so what if the scale is not your buddy when you WI. (I am going to WW tonite, and between a week of vacation and PMS I am not expecting anything good).
A polite class!? Wow..........hope it stays that way.

Melody-I was never separated from any of my kids like that when they were little - so I can't imagine how you must be feeling. Enjoy your time with the baby.........cause that one on one time with more than one child in the house is so rare! Hugs.

Casey- I am glad that you have found a nice balanced program (even if it is self designed) for yourself. Whatever works.......as long as it is healthy!

And I am out of time..........Fidgie has a check up in 20 min.....then off to my Dm's for a lot of house maintenance stuff, then shopping on the way home and a WW meeting. I HATE this rush to get stuff done before school starts.
Did get my WW tape in today...............see ya!
Old 08-31-2006, 05:38 PM   #237  

S/C/G: 218/218/168

Height: 5'8"

hey gals, had an okay day at school but am totally wiped out. i just looked down at my pedometer and know why...i have walked over 21,000 steps today (that is over 10 miles) just in my classroom and the halls. when i have students it never sit down and on thursdays i have no breaks until lunch so i am on my feet from 6am on. i have gotten back into my school eating routine and have lost 2 pounds so far this week.
i hope that everyone has a great day tomorrow!!
mouse- i am so glad that you are on the mend. take it easy and don't do too much this weekend.
angela- enjoy the time with the baby, they grow way to fast. you will blink your eyes and he will be taller than you are. i know from experience...my 14 yr old has grown over 4 inches this summer and is now 2 inches taller than me.

i have set a new weight loss goal for myself. i am going to try to loose 30 pounds by new years. wish me luck! later

trob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:21 PM   #238  

WOW! I thought my pedometer was having field day. My max this week for in class/hall was 13k. That's phenomenal.

Self designed program..hahaha...I've totally ruined my resolve in the last 2 days. I didn't say ruined my diet because I know getting back on the wagon will help things. I ate 12 oreo cookies today and 3 blueberry muffins. We made dirt pudding.

mouse, glad things went well. I've had several things pop up on me (growths) and so far (knock on wood) theyve all been benign. One "elective surgery" for a cyst turned out to be a blood clot. Thank goodness I "elected" to have it. No matter what, its nerve racking to have to think of serious medical issues.

babybelly-I'm leaving the state to go to my dh's class reunion and we have to leave the 3 children behind for 3 days and my youngest is 3. It's scary.

Kar73--I feel like I've been ambushed I've been so busy. I couldn't imagine doing all that AND the first week of school. I had to decorate and prepare 2 rooms by myself (I"m the aide and my teacher was MIA) the first week (we had 2 days). This week actually feels like a vacation compared to that week.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #239  
burned out bus driver

Well, guess it is time to start a new thread.........see ya there!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #240  

I had a delicious double fiber wheat toast with natural PB and banana slices on it. YUM! Still on a plateau and my first week of school tested and WON my self control. I gave myself 2 weeks forgiveness to help learn to nip it. I knew it would happen. Oreos did me in this week. I still journaled.

On a different note. I bought a venus fly trap plant for my classroom. I'm doing the research right now.