Old 01-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #31  
Tilting at windmills

Kat: Glad you're feeling better! And to answer your question, a betta is a Siamese fighting fish. Beautiful fish, long flowing fins, but incredibly antisocial *laugh*. Since they evolved growing in oxygen-depleted rice paddy water, they have a labyrinthine organ that serves as a primitive lung; they can actually extract oxygen from air, with relative efficiency. That's why you can keep them in really small cups and bowls.

Chris: Welcome to the club

BarbPA: Here's hoping 3rd time's the charm! Sending positive vibes out your way

And just to jump on the "dog of the house" discussion - back home, I have an old Dalmation, named Mino. She's sooo old and lazy now, if she got any more mellow, we'd probably call her dead *laugh*. She still stirs occasionally and gets excited when I come home to visit, but then it all fades after about 5 minutes. Ah well?

Oh, and she chases birds still. Except she's so out of shape she pukes afterwards. Oy, my dog
fierum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:26 AM   #32  
Tilting at windmills

I figured you girls would be interested in this. It seems folic acid is important in more than just preventing birth defects

http://health.dailynewscentral.net/c...iew/000314/54/

In short, it says that folic acid greatly decreases the risk of hypertension, especially in young females. There's still a benefit as women age, so don't dismiss this as "just for the young'uns"

I haven't had a chance to read the original JAMA article, but because it was published in JAMA, it's reasonable to assume that it's fairly credible information
fierum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 PM   #33  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Bio Time!

DATE - 1/19/2004

USER NAME - qsilver

REAL NAME - Andria

AGE - 38

BIRTHDATE - 09/15/1966

WHERE YOU LIVE - Virgin, Utah

SIGNIFICANT OTHER - Tony

KIDS - 2

PETS - 1 dog (Jewel), 3 cats (Monster, Meow Yen, and Delilah), 2 fish and 1 turtle.

OCCUPATION - Night watch at a Youth Treatment Facility, assignment writer, home-based business, soon to be returning student, mom.

WHAT PLAN ARE YOU FOLLOWING - Decision Weight Loss

FAV. EXERCISE(S) - Curves and walking

FAV. NO-NO FOODS - Wow, ummm... cheesecake tops that list, but there are so many others!

FAV.BOOK(S) - Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, Beauty by Robin McKinley, and I'm really enjoying reading books by Nicholas Sparks lately. Also in love with The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Actually like that one enough to have gone to a ton of trouble to find everything in hardback. Tony even found two first editions for me!

FAV. MOVIE(S) - Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, Fried Green Tomatoes, It's A Wonderful Life, and the list goes on...

FAV. SONG(S) - The Promise by When In Rome, Whisper to a Scream by Icicle Works, about anything Annie Lennox or Gwen Stefani sing... again, the list goes on, but you do see a lot of 80's stuff in there.

FAV. QUOTE - It all comes out in the wash.

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE - My biggest fear right now is that I will falter in my diet and gain back everything. Right now I am on the edge of finally making it below a weight I haven't seen in 14 years.
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:51 PM   #34  

To answer Kat's question for discussion, "What are you doing today, different from yesterday, to help you reach the weight you desire?"

I've gotten to a place in my plan now that I am confident I can stick with it - I'm not always hungry or thinking about food, etc. However, I find that old habits die hard. For instance, for no other reason than habit, I find myself looking at my plate during a meal and thinking, "it's almost gone, is this going to be enough, am I going to be full?" And, like I said, I've been doing this long enough that I know it is going to be enough and I am going to be full. But, that's what I would think about when I overate and I still catch myself doing it. So, starting today I am making sure that I pay attention and enjoy what I am eating rather than worrying about what I am NOT going to eat.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:04 PM   #35  

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I found where Greg had hidden my scale. It was in the back seat of his car. The problem? By the time I'd gotten back inside he'd realized I found it and hid his keys. Darn it! So, he came home for lunch today and threw his keys on the counter. While he was distracted with the kids I snuck the keys outside only to find that he'd moved the scale. That rascal just stays one step ahead of me. When I asked him to hide it I mentioned that I didn't want to weigh for two weeks and he is holding me to it. He says that he can tell I've lost a lot and that I should be able to feel it and be happy with that. Yeah, this coming from a guy whose never been overweight a day of his life. He doesn't get it - I need NUMBERS baby! Here's what I don't get. I've been asking him to pressure wash our deck since last spring and - NOTHING. But ask him to hide my scale and drive me crazy, THAT he can do. This poor man has no sense of priority I tell you.

Hope everyone is having a successful day!
Old 01-19-2005, 02:10 PM   #36  
Focus on the Process

S/C/G: 247/247/165

Height: 5' 8"

Jaws...That's what I should do. I get soo hooked on the number on the scale, that's all I seem to concentrate on. Wonder if my dh would do it? Okay...my breaks over. I gotta get lunch in my little kiddos. Probably should put some in me too.

Check back later.

~chris
chrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:19 PM   #37  
BELIEVE!

Hi Gang!
I hope you are all well this evening. Welcome to the newcomers to the group!

So, who's watching American Idol this season? Oh my, last night was rather entertaining --- or was it? I know Tony is not watching it with no TV. Not sure how you do it! I'm also looking forward to the Apprentice tomorrow night and of course Survivor - not sure when it starts.

Well, I went in for an ultrasound and bloodwork today and go the offical go ahead to start taking my injections tonight. I just had such a laugh and had to share.....I have to take all my shots IM (butt) so DH has to give them to me. My nurse said she draw bullseyes for my DH so he knows he's in the right spot. Well, I forgot about them all day and just went to the mirror to take a peek and discovered I have green smiley faces on my butt! I got such a chuckle out of that. It's the little "bedside manner" touches that mean! Right Tony?

I also had an acupuncture session today which was very relaxing. Now it's time for dinner and some game playing. I hope you all have a wonderful evening.

Talk to you soon!
Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:02 PM   #38  

Thumbs up

jawsmom:
Quote:
Here's what I don't get. I've been asking him to pressure wash our deck since last spring and - NOTHING. But ask him to hide my scale and drive me crazy, THAT he can do. This poor man has no sense of priority I tell you.
Sounds like a perfect husband to me!!!!

So do we wait to start our challange until you can weigh in - hmmmm maybe you should tell that crazy hubby of yours that you NEED the scale so you can have a starting weight for the challange!!

First time I have been home on a Wed night so I am going to check out "Lost".

Later
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:16 PM   #39  

Hi everyone!
Hope you had a good day today. Mine has been busy as usual - but it does keep me out of the kitchen! Walked (in the cold at 6:00 a.m.), rushed the kids off to school, rushed to work, rushed to pick up oldest son (and two fellow soccer players) from practice after school, gulped down dinner and headed off to choir practice, started working on school work (I had a newsletter to write) as soon as I got in, and finally got a chance to check in with all of you!

OK, here is my bio:

Date - January 19, 2005

User name - Southern Gal

Real name - Laura

Age - 46

Birthdate - February 26

Where you live - Georgia

Significant other - husband Dennis (we've been married 27 years!)

Kids - two boys, Rhys 15 and Drew 13

Pets - Hershey, springer spaniel and current ruler of the house, 2 classroom pet guinea pigs, Amy and Abby

Occupation - 1st grade teacher

What plan are you following - Counting calories for the most part, just trying to eat healthier

Favorite exercise - walking

Favorite no-no foods - chocolate, chocolate, and chocolate (did I mention chocolate?)

Favorite book(s) - Romance, adventure, whatever. I love to read anything by Nora Roberts, Janet Evonovich's bounty hunter series, Clive Cussler's Dirk novels. I could run out of room on this part...

Favorite movie(s) - Sweet Home Alabama, Romancing the Stone, Second Hand Lions...

Favorite song(s) - Long Black Train, Impossible, most country music...

Favorite quote - "Housework is like stringing beads on a string without a knot..." story of my life!

Anything else you would like to share - Just that I'm very happy to be part of this group! You guys are a great inspiration to me!

DH is asking when I'm going to finish on this computer so guess I better go! Check in with you tomorrow!

Laura
southern gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:38 AM   #40  

Smile

Laura: I Nora Roberts - I am trying to be patient waiting for her next book!!!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:18 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 325/

Height: 5'8"

Hello All,

Well remember how I said I would be back yesterday? Well my inlaws came over last night so I didn't have time to post or log on for that matter. So here are responses, if I miss anyone I am truly sorry.

Lucky, Hey it's warming up, but we are suppose to have snow every day. How did you like Lost. Last night was a great episode. So much was revealed. I have so many theories. We talk about it almost everyday at work. It is an awesome show. I wish I had taped it from the very beginning. But I tell you what I will be purchasing this when it is out on dvd. I am glad you are doing better. I say bring on the challenge. I will be weighing in when I can find my scale. It is in a box I know that much. Problem is I have 100 boxes all over my house.

Kat, I am so glad you are feeling better. I really hate when I get the ickies like that, I just want to live in the bathroom. And shower every five minutes. Today, I am drinking more water than I have been. That is what I am doing different.

Tony, I got a betta too. His name is Fishy 2. I had the first Fishy for about a year, and he died. Now I have Fishy 2 and I've had him about 6 months. I just love them, they are so beautiful. I saw one at the pet store the other day, it was $13. Some sort of rare breed, called half moon or something like that. I forgot. I love fish, we no longer have an aquarium. Which is kind of sad but I just love them.

BarbG, You are so inspiring, always posting, always having the wonderful pictures, and being positive. I just love you for that. I am glad that you get around, and so many people get to be blessed by your presence.

BarbPA, I am praying for you and I know that if it is meant to be at this time you will have the little one you so desire. I love the smiley faces on the butt, too bad you didn't have those earlier and could have gotten to the Eagles game to moon the Vikings. Blessings and Angels coming your way as always.

Laura, I love your sons name. I think that is a beautiful name. And I thank you for being a teacher. That is a tuff job.

Jawsmom, well, what can we say, men enjoy making their wives cringe, it is a simple pleasure in their life. I know my husband loves to do it everyday. 50 degrees, that is sweater weather. Oh, to see 50 again, heck I would settle for 40 right now.

Chris, Montana huh, I bet it is beautiful out there. That is one of the places on my list of need to visit.

If I missed anyone I am sorry. Anyway, here is my quick bio befor I head off to work.

DATE - 1-20-05

USER NAME - Skittles

REAL NAME - Dawn

AGE - 36

BIRTHDATE - June 16

WHERE YOU LIVE - Milwaukee

SIGNIFICANT OTHER - Scott

KIDS -nope, can't have them

PETS -2 cats, Sydacious Vicious and Nummy Muffin Colcolbutter, 2 rats, Yassie and My Precious, and my betta, Fishy 2

OCCUPATION - Title Company

WHAT PLAN ARE YOU FOLLOWING - Ummm, I should be following a plan? That is what I am doing wrong. I don't really have a plan yet, I should work on that.

FAV. EXERCISE(S) - You can have one of those? Ok, I like to swim, walk when my foot doesn't hurt, and I love to dance. Ok, it is not really dancing, just bouncing around to the music in a somewhat rhythmic beat. Yea right, it's just bouncing around with music playing in the background.

FAV. NO-NO FOODS - chocolate, coke, pizza, chocolate, fried crab ragoons, onion rings, chocolate.

FAV.BOOK(S) - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, she is my favorite author, then anything classical, I like Wilde, Woolf, James, Austen, I also love poetry, Dickenson, Plath, But my favorite is Charlotte Bronte, she is my kindred spirit.

FAV. MOVIE(S) - LOTR Trilogy, A Christmas Story, Hedwig & the Angry Inch, Harry Potter, Anything with Colin Firth or Bruce Campbell, I love British television and film. Love Actually was a great film.

FAV. SONG(S) - Chains by Duran Duran, What's Gonna Happen Tomorrow Duran Duran, Lonely in your Nightmare, Duran Duran, Do you see a pattern here? I listen to all kinds of music. I adore Bette Midler, Marilyn Manson, Classical, I have Andy Griffith singing gospel music, I am a versitle music lover.

FAV. QUOTE - "Look into thought and tell me what dost thou see. Dive be not fearful how dark the waves flow. Sink into the surge and bring pearls up to me. Deeper, aye deeper, the fairest lie low." Charlotte Bronte
"You are a light in a lonely dark desert that enlightens many." Tenet of Novus Spiritus

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE - I suffer from depression and anxiety, I am gemini, and I'm just a nut. I am not a trusting person, then sometimes I am a trusting person, Like I said I am Gemini. I am new to the Wisconsin area so I don't have many friends up here. So I spend a lot of my time doing the solitary things that I love, reading, painting, writing, and sleeping.
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:51 AM   #42  

Oh, Skittles. Are you a Duranie? What memories your favorite songs brought back. I notice we are the same age so I bet you did this too - my walls in early high school were PLASTERED with Duran Duran stuff. It drove my mom crazy! I guess I'll be annoyed too when my kids start sticking stuff to the walls with electrical tape. LOL
Old 01-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #43  
a work in progress...

Just a quick 'hi' for now...lots to do, little time, as usual. So many responses that I want to make, I hope I don't forget what I want to say!

For those of you suffering those winter chills...(okay! Even if 50 degrees is chilly to you!) I'll leave you with this quote, it made me smile...

Over the winter glaciers,
I see the summer glow,
And through the wild-piled snowdrift,
The warm rosebuds below.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

:sball2: :sman: :sball:
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #44  

Smile

STOP Do Not Post Here. Join us at "Sanctuary-- New Thread! Anyone Welcome #3"