Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 07:52 PM   #1  

Default Valentine's Day Buddies -- Week 4

Hey girls!

Bluvsu2 posted the Week 2 thread on the 11th... so I guess that makes today the start of Week 4. Wow! Time sure flies!!!

I maintained this week (not bad considering I slacked off big time!). But I did find out that I've lost an inch in my waist since starting, yay!

My arms got a tiny bit bigger... could it be that I'm gaining muscle faster than losing fat there? So maybe later, after losing fat, it'll be smaller?

Been doing GREAT on the exercising. I feel better than I have in years!
Old 01-25-2004, 08:59 PM   #2  

Hi Formia! Didn't see the start of this new thread and just posted on the other one. Oooops!

I take it your lifting weights? My arms stayed the same for a long time, and then as the fat became less the biceps really started to show. On my upper, my shoulders and chest got smaller before my arms. On my lower, my legs got smaller before my butt and belly because the quads are bigger muscles. In about 90 days after I started lifting I lost 20# and 15.25 inches overall. It seems now that whole picture is coming together. I know I am definitely in a smaller size, 15, then I was 20 years ago at the same weight, 20. It's fun to watch the changes. How heavy are you lifting, and for how long? What kind of split do you do?

Well, I need to get on the treadmill, Have a great week, ladies!

dip
Old 01-25-2004, 11:41 PM   #3  
Not Giving Up

Height: 5'9"

Hi Everyone

Popping in just quickly to say a quick hi and tell you I am still here.

Thanks Monika for starting the new thread. Wow it is only a few weeks away until Valentines day. Thats great that you maintained. You are getting really close to your V day goal. And you are doing great on the exercise so I am sure that all your hard work will pay off for you.

Dip how long have you been seriously doing your weight lifting and your cardio and everything that you have been doing? Did you get discouraged because you didn't think that your body was changing fast enough? Hey I am glad that you are comming out of your funk. This is such a hard time of the year, (I am kind of guessing that it is the same for you as it is for us. Correct me if I am wrong ok) There is not enough sunshine during the day, it is cold (-37 C) for us tonight and not much warmer for tomorrow. And spring fever is starting to hit. I'm a and I'll stop whining now. But it is the season. So Dip up. I was thinking of trying to get your runners high to feel better. I might try that tomorrow.

Cristi, hope that your son is given the thumbs up tomorrow at the doctor. Maybe he will try and stay home in bed and be spoiled for another week. How is the house hunting going? Are you and your hubby agreeing on the same sort of houses, or are you both wanting something different? I just want a house with 2 bathrooms. That is my ultimate goal.

Robin how are you doing? How is everything going at home? on being so dedicated to the treadmill. Don't be discouraged at the lack of movement on it right now, because when it does move you will be looking at 4 or 5 pounds. How are you feeling - more energy? Are you able to get your water in also?

Hi to Blu. Hope your life is getting a little less hectic.

My two little nephews that were born in December were rushed to the hospital 1 on Monday and the other on Tuesday as they have that RSV virus. They were not expected to live as it was so severe for them. But they have pulled through and when they are able to breathe on their own without the oxygen then they can come home. They are definitly little fighters.

Must run and get ready for my great job tomorrow.

Kathy
Old 01-26-2004, 12:43 AM   #4  

Dip, I'm just using the little 2 lb weights while doing the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. Nothing more than that. So it's about 10 minutes each day. I guess the changes are a bit uneven at first, and the longer I stick with it, it will be a nice change! LOL

Kathy, thanks for your supportive words! *hugs* This has been a huge change for me, but thank God for this site!!! I wish you guys could have some warm weather - I can't get over how insanely cold it is up there, yikes.

Hope the rest of you are doing well!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:20 AM   #5  

Oh, Kathy! I was so sad to hear about the babies, but thrilled they pulled through. I tell ya, life just throws out those curve balls left and right. I bet you and all of your familiy were wrecks going through that. Sorry, it happened, sweetie. Big Hug.

You're right about it being that time of year. I guess it's my payback for not having to go through "that time of month." I get it in one big dose. Seriously, though, it is SAD, and I've had it since I was a teenager. About 14 or so years ago, when they gave it a name, I went to the doctor for it, and over a year tried several different anti-depressants, none of which I cared for. So I decided to just live with it, afterall, I had for so many years before. For several years now, I've been taking St. John's Wort, starting in September through March. For the mostpart, it works for me, but have a bad day or two here and there. If I force myself to keep busy, I'm usually OK. Best part is that winter's closer to being over than starting! Even when I was young, I knew something was wrong, and equated myself to being a bear. And I've always said that my personal "New Year's Day" was April 1. When we designed this house, first thing was big windows and lots of them, even in the basement. Someone just suggested a tanning bed for light therapy, and I had a lightbulb moment! I never went to a tanning bed before because I was too fat. So I'm certainly going to consider it. Also, last week I started up with some hellacious hot flashes, so hormones may have aided and abetted the Seasonal Affected Disorder too.

As for being discouraged?!?!?! When I started here with you guys at 3FC, I had lost 20# and plateaued for 2 months. That was discouraging. The only place it showed was my face, although clothes were bigger, no one noticed. With all of yours support and putting up with my whining, I lost another 20#. I had been using the treadmill for about 60 days, and doing light (up to 8#) hand weights and the resistence machines at the gym before starting actual bodybuilding. (I researched and studied as I accumulated the free weights and stuff during July & August with the intention of starting actual lifting 9/1). Although I had lost 40# and 25 inches, I looked like not what I thought I would. Sure, I was in smaller sizes, and healthier but still looked liked someone who had lost a few pounds and still very doughy with loose skin. That was discouraging. Came home from Labor Day weekend (9/2) only to find my newly created gym in the basement was flooded, and that delayed my start 2 weeks. That was discouraging. At 208#, I had DH take my 'before' photo on 9/15 and saw what I really looked like. That was discouraging. After lifting for about 60 days, the only real changes I noticed muscle-wise were my arms, legs, and smaller (but perkier!) boobs, when I wanted results in my butt and belly. That was discouraging. All the little weight gains from eating bad carbs on our sailing trips - that was discouraging. And if I sat here long enough, I could probably dredge up 100 more discouragements during the journey.

BUT! for all the discouragements, and self-perceived (key word) disappoinments, there were many, many more reasons and perks to keep going. I'll come back later and finish because I need to get on with the morning duties.

Have a great Monday!

dip
Old 01-26-2004, 06:22 PM   #6  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Default Happy Monday Girlies~

Today has been one busy day and I already feel exhausted. Today is DD birthday and I took her to lunch at Olive Garden-it was so good, yummy! Then we did a little shopping at the book store. got home just in time to take DS to his Dr.s appointment across town and the weather is horrible! ICK-it started snowing this morning but nothing too bad. The roads were fine but as the day went on it has gotten worse. I thought it was supposed to stop this evening-sure hope so. Now I am home making a heart shaped cake and getting dinner ready, well the baked potatoes anyway.

Weighed in this morning and I am down a whopping pound! Hey, I will take anything at this point. Of course last week wasn't so good. With the stress of trying to buy a house and DS surgery I had gained three pounds! Believe me that will NOT happen again.

Kathy~glad to hear from ya. So very sorry to hear of the twins, poor little guys. My heart goes out to them and the family and I will keep you all in my prayers. House hunting has been crazy! We have lost 4 homes already and were about to give up but found one Saturday. I am keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well, especially with the luck we've had so far. DH and I basically are agreeing on the same houses-I am glad for that or we may never find one!

Monika~Ditto what Kathy said-THANKS for starting the new thread. I always want to but again I don't want to step on any toes. WTG on maintaining this week, but losing an inch!

Dip~hope you are feeling better today.

Hi Robin and Blu-hope you ladies are doing fine.

Take care ladies, talk to ya soon.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:40 PM   #7  

HI Cristi!

Kathy, what I'm trying to tell you that for every discouragement along the way, there are 10 more joys. Weight lifting of the serious body building kind isn't going to show immediate results. You have to commit, be patient and persist. And then one day you will wake up and look in the mirror, and have an Oh My God Moment. It may be just a subtle change, but you'll see something. I think the first thing that awed me were my thighs. I hadn't been to the gym for awhile, and one day I was there working the leg press. I set it at 80# and it felt too light, so I upped it to 90, then 100, then 110. As I was working the reps, I was watching my legs and they looked so small. The next time I noticed how small and strong they looked was when I started rowing down in the basement. Little by little everything changed, and then finally my belly and butt has caught up. When I decided to try lifting, I committed to give it 6 months. Well, it's been 4 months, and I am absolutely amazed at the results. You have to keep experimenting and changing your food, calorie intake, calorie deficit, lifting routines and splits, and cardio because you're body adjusts to what you are doing to it, and your metabolism will slow down again. But the key is never give up - commit and persist, and surround yourself with people who are going to support you and be there for you. Read everything you can get your hands on, and reread it again.

But most of all, remember I will be here for you, as well as the LWL's, OK?

dip
Old 01-27-2004, 08:38 AM   #8  
Not Giving Up

Good morning everyone.

Just popping in again really quick before I go to work. Just wanted to wish everyone a happy Tuesday today.

Cristi sounds like you had a good time with DD. How did the doctors appointment go for your son? Can he go back to work now? and a for good luck on this house.

Dip hope you are feeling a better. Do you take vitamin D supplements at all?
Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. The help me get through my pity party for myself. So are you going to keep going with your lifting after your 6 month commitement to yourself is over?

Monika I was reading a little bit in the journals, and I find yours interesting. So tell me more. What instruments do you play, and what do you teach, and tell me all about your recital!

Robin hi, how are you doing. I can see you lurking there so pop in and say a quick hi. Miss you.

Blu how are you doing this week also? Pop in to say hi.

Must run. One baby has been discharged from the hospital, but Julian is having a few more tests, as he had some seizures. So they are waiting for a neurologist to give him a cat scan and an mri to see if he needs some anti seizure medicine. But he should be home in a day or so also.

Have a super Tuesday.
Kathy
Old 01-27-2004, 11:38 AM   #9  
One day at a time

Angry Good Morning All~

Kathy~so glad to hear the babies are doing better and one went home. Hope Julian (LOVE that name!) gets to go home soon and all is well with him. DS is fine and did go back to work. He went back to work Friday for a few hours, but only to do paperwork. He is on restriction and can only lift up to 15 pounds. But is doing fine. I know he is glad to be able to go back to work and school. He is always so busy that when he gets a day off he is so bored and doesn't know what to do. So just imagine how bored and stir crazy he was being off work for a little over a week. Thanks for the good vibes and luck.

Hi Dip, Robin, Monika and Blu. Robin and Blu, hope things are well with you. We worry about you when we don't hear from you.

Well, ladies I think I will get some packing done today. If everything goes right we will close on the house on Feb. 20th. so I need to get my butt in gear and get things done, which I am trying. I have been cleaning out closets. I don't look forward to the move at all. But will be happy to finally be in our own home. On with the day ladies...Hope EVERYONE has a wonderful one! TTFN
Old 01-27-2004, 12:38 PM   #10  
One day at a time

I almost forgot ladies, I have something I want to share with you all. This lady made this quilt in honor/memory of those who died on Sept. 11. When the site comes up click on the quilt. The more you click on it the bigger it gets, you can see the faces. It is so cool, such an awesome tribute to those who lost their lives.

http://www.gzquilt.com/About_the_Qui...the_quilt.html
Old 01-27-2004, 01:34 PM   #11  

Hi Kathy and All!

Real quick Kathy - yep, I take an A&D supplement in the AM, plus so many other things. As for the 6 month commitment, I committed to *try* lifting for 6 months to see if it works. There is no way I'll ever stop. Picture a 75 yearold blue hair granny in the gym lifting with the big boys - that'll be me. Glad to hear the babies are doing so much better!

dip
Old 01-28-2004, 08:29 AM   #12  
Not Giving Up

Good morning everyone.

Cristi thankyou for sharing that quilt with me. That is incredible. The one thing I wanted to do when I was on maternity leave was learn how to quilt. Never quite got to do it. That was the last thing on my list, and I just seemed to run out of time. Plus I should have done it when he was first born and slept alot. Oh well I still plan on learning. for your house. Then you will have to post us all pictures so we can see it.

Hi Monika hope you have a happy Wednesday.

Dip I can't picture you as a blue hair granny. I have seen some pictures of both men and women who still lift when they are in their late 60's and wow if there is one cure for ageing I would have to say that is it because wow do they look good. Maybe though you will want to have blue hair as it is quite a pretty color. (My 14 year old daughter is sporting blue hair right now. Not all blue only half way up from the ends) I can see you arm wrestling the little know it alls at your gym and whooping their butts. That is what is going to get me through this cold day.

Robin are you doing ok? I am starting to get a little worried about you. for you to remember to say hi.

Blu hi to you also. Stop in and say hi.

Both babies are now home. It is good to have them back.

Must run. Happy Wednesday to all.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #13  
One day at a time

Angry Hi All~

Kathy~so glad to hear the babies are home and doing fine.

Hi Dip & Monika.

Hi Robin & BLu~hope you ladies are fine. We are worried about you and missing you.

Not much going on with me ladies. Same old, same old...packing and laundry, laundry and packing...At least this is not a long move so I don't have to be to particular about the way I pack. It is just across town, about 8 miles. We did get the house. I was just leary because of everything that happened with the other four-very stressful this buying a house. Going to join a weight loss challenge club in the area next week. That should be good and keep me on track. I am looking forward to that and meeting new people.

Anyway, I am babbling. Hope everyone is having a wonderful Thursday. Take care
Old 01-29-2004, 08:13 PM   #14  
Not Giving Up

Cristi

YaHOO you got your house. That is so wonderful

Now for the busy moving process. I sure wish I was there to help you. Blab away. The more the better.

Hi to everyone else.

Dip how are you today? Did you get some sunshine where you are? We are still stuck in the cold.

Monika, Robin and Blu, how are you doing?

Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 213/203/180

Height: 5'11"

Hi all! Yes, I'm still here lurking. Just been a little distracted. Hope to get some down time soon to catch up. Thanks for missing me. I love you all!
Closed Thread