Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 01:56 PM   #46  
deleted2

Amarantha, I'm dreaming of biscuits now.....Big fluffy catheads!

Old 01-26-2004, 07:19 PM   #47  
deleted2

Default Monday--Jan. 26

coffee w / ff 1/2 &1/2
whole wheat bun w/ egg sub., ff cheese, soy 'bacon'
1/2 c. potatoes w/ ketchup

Mexican bean soup
2 whole wheat w/ lite cheese, spinach, onion, pimentos
clementine***almond-choc. biscotti

2 ww crackers w/ 1 tbsp. peanut butter

1/2 c, brown rice w/ vegs.
ww tortilla w/ fajita vegs, lite cheese, salsa, lo-fat sour cream
'skinny cow' ice cream sandwich

water: 11 cups
calories: 1495
fat: 43 grams
fiber: 28 grams

exercise: 40 pushups**200 crunches
20 min. Pilates**4 miles treadmill
80 min. shoveling snow

Old 01-26-2004, 08:17 PM   #48  

Just to confess--

I was miserable at work this afternoon and heard the vending machine calling 4 floors away. I resisted but not w/o thinking of the thread here..

Thanks all of you!!

Eydie!! Must have the recipe for Mexican bean soup!! Must!!
Please!

And Empress, I see your post below... perhaps 60 days...??? for sure, since Nov 11 when I nailed myself onto the the wagon seat.....

But.... I saw a big display in BJ's of BELGIAN CHOCOLATE.... WHEN WILL IT END!!!!

Empress, what kind of butter spray is it? Is it butter flavored Pam?

Must be gone! Off to the showers!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:49 PM   #49  
Empress/Queen

Talking Yo!

I am struggling with the demons, Slayers s!!!! But not the demon of the candy that I'm abstaining from, just the desire to overeat in general ... seems the more I stay away from PB cups (which I now don't desire), the more I'm stuffing myself with healthy food. This must stop! I'm pledging to stay strict with my modified Flexpoints program for the rest of the week and hope for the best on my next weigh in ... continuing on with the Candy NOT 21-day challenge as well.

This thread seems to be evolving into a general food discussion thread and I think that's great ... I love seeing what others who are struggling with these issues are eating and I've so appreciated the interest in my crazy whole wheat herb biscuits ... really determined this year to eat well and get my health, as well as my weight under control. Really am massively pleased with the new biscuit recipe which is sooooo much healthier than the previous one!

Kaylets, 60 days is fantastic ... you are an inspiration to me ... I know my desire to switch to the whole wheat owes a great deal to things you've said ... good save on the candy machine ... actually, though, I don't think chocolate should always be considered a bad thing ... a piece of good chocolate now and then is a part of life and dark chocolate has more antioxidants (so I hear) than oranges ... for me, it's the 14 pb cups on a stressful day that is the problem ... when my friends from back east were here a few months ago, we took a day trip to the mission in Tucson ... I noticed he carries a huge bar of dark chocolate around everywhere and eats a little now and then ... I had a square when we missed lunch (don't ask!) and it was the best, most basic food I'd ever had and only 5 points ... But I can get that same taste and satisfaction from one of the "rich dark chocolate" carb control shakes I like ... 2 points and no sugar plus more filling than a square of pure chocolate.

I like a lot of the different butter and oil sprays, but for topping biscuits, I use 'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray' ... I really can't believe it's not butter!

Eydie: I'd also enjoy having the recipe for Mexican bean soup ... since I've been focusing on eating better and cooking more, I've been keeping a running personal cookbook in my computer with meal ideas, recipes and points ... what flavor of Skinny Cow did you have ... I've never really liked those but am wondering if the pb ones would quell my Reese's ice cream cravings ... if you've never had this, don't ever buy it!

Didn't mean to write a book ... seems I have food on the mind ... the catheads are calling from the fridge ... these really are good with the whole wheat, a far cry from grandma's but healthier ... I want to save some to take when traveling tomorrow ... the increased fiber is so good for keeping blood sugar stable ...

Rambling. Good night all.

On to Day 3 of my Candy NOT! Yowza!
Old 01-27-2004, 10:37 AM   #50  
deleted2

Queens, thanks for asking about the Mex. bean soup. Once again, I don't really have a recipe, it was one of those use up things in the fridge deals, but here's the basic outline---very easy!

Dice and boil in a kettle: 2 carrots, 1 sweet potato, 1 potato. Let it cook until tender. Then add 1 diced zucchinni, 1 jar of salsa, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can black beans, 1 can dark red kidney beans, 1/2 c. frozen corn, and a couple of handfuls of chopped spinach. Add enough water to all this to make it soup-y and cook until the zucchinni is done. And that's really all I did and it was quite good--even better the next day of course!
To give it more body you could stir a bit of cooked rice into it or you could add some soy crumbles or TVP or chicken. I don't think you can go wrong.

Amarantha, I'm delighted as well that we're talking about food here. Any ideas to make the quest go easier is always welcome. BTW, I've come up with a smoothie recipe that's superb and very PB cup-py!
1 cup Silk chocolate soy milk
1 frozen banana
1 tbsp. peanut butter

Tha's all! Just whiz it up in a blender and it's done. Very creamy and reminicsent of the dreaded cup. Roughly 340 calories [makes a big glass!] and 6 grams of fiber, I think.

Old 01-27-2004, 03:29 PM   #51  
Empress/Queen

[color=bluue]Yowza, E, that pb smoothie recipe might just fit the bill for tomorrow ... I'm starting day one again on the Candy NOT challenge ... got trapped into interviewing an old nemesis today and had to be polite and ... guess what? There were drugstores on the way home and guess what they have in drugstores in the last week of January ... pb cup Valentine's hearts!

Except I can't tolerate bananas very well so am thinking of maybe cottage cheese with the soy and pb? Hmmmm.

I had one of the biscuits and a low carb shake for lunch, thought I was safe ... then bang, there went Candy NOT again!!!! No, K, it will NEVER end ... the world hath decreed that we shall be assaulted at every fork in the road by globs of white sugar and hydrogenated oil wrapped up in colorful paper and displayed in dazzling array and monumental quantities throughout all business establishments! Hast thou checked out the size of the candy displays at Walmart?

Sheesh!

Today I said to myself (after eating the pb heart), self, why do you need this stuff? If you want candy, you need to make your own candy ... perhaps fudge made with brown rice syrup (which is a complex carb and not so bad for blood sugar) and a bit of protein powder thrown in ... hmmmm. But why is not a nice piece of fish, brown rice and asparagus enough for you? Do the fat/sugar globs in pretty paper make the bad people nicer to you, does it make thy problems go away?

The answer, dear Slayer Queens is obvious.

I shall preservere ... and I do think we should go on making this a separate food discussion/idea thread as we pursue the 21-day challenge ... I've gotten a lot out of just focusing on food here as I attempt to slay the sugar demon!!!!

Again, I don't think a bite of candy here and there is bad ... I think it's actually good ... but the question beith, am I eating the candy or is the candy eating me ... does the demon control me or do I control it ... am I eating what my mind tells me is what my body really needs or am I listening to the Hershey candy company telling me Reese's will make it all better?

Hmmm. Anyhow, the biscuit traveled well and I ate it cold ... it was quite fluffy ... I love the combination of the whole wheat taste and the herbs. I'm sure that the extra fiber in that helped me stop the candy binge in its tracks ...

I am now retiring from the universe for awhile! Bye!
Old 01-27-2004, 05:12 PM   #52  
deleted2

Yeah, Empress--I've seen the candy display at Wal-Mart--an entire aisle!!! Actually, I haven't seen it; I'm boycotting it this year. See, I always like to wander along and see whatver's 'in season' on that endless candy aisle. I like to see what they have for Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's, Easter, etc. It truly fascinates me--and I always end up wanting to try something simply because it's tricked out in some fancy seasonal dress. This year, I'm saying no. This is the plan anyway. Anything could happen. I think the thing that's helped me most is my being properly horrified at how automatically I reach for sweets!

In case anyone thinks that I'm absolutely heroic at this, let me assure you that I salivate at the thought of grabbing a handful of chocolate chips. ~~drool....~~It'll never end, I just want to master it.

Amarantha, You're still doing spledidly in my eyes. Remember the Japenese proverb: Fall down 7 times, get up 8!

Old 01-27-2004, 07:48 PM   #53  
Empress/Queen

Thanks, Eydie! I know I can do it!!!! I know we ALL can do it!!!! I'm not sure where we are in the 21-day thing ... I'm on Day 2 ... I'm wondering if everyone would agree to ending the 21-day thread starting a new one that just says "CCRRMM Demon Food Challenge" ... then we can set time parameters as we see fit ... the challenge being simply to discuss and conquer Demon Food ... and Angel Food (not the cake kind) ... e.g., just focus on food challenges and the topic of eating well? I still think it should be a separate thread from the main CCRRMM and the NOLA ... the NOLA is about exercise, the main thread about support and then we could have the food thread about challenging ourselves to eat well ... and posting recipes and menus as well.

I'll post this on the main thread as well. Thoughts? Does anyone object?
Old 01-27-2004, 07:56 PM   #54  

Yes, the point is to keep trying....

And yes, the shiny paper and cute designs are very much like the toys and designs on the cereal boxes....
All sizzle, no substance.... ( Thought I was going to say it didnt you!)

Brings to mind the way folks get ready for night's out... hoping to for "cupid's arrow" as one young lady at work likes to say.....
Just another form of marketing....

hmmm, there I go...

Really need to hit the shower.. but thanks for the food for thought
Old 01-28-2004, 07:37 AM   #55  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Question Day Just a minute here

OK....started 16 today is 28...(counting on fingers here) Ah! Today is day 13 for me. Yippee...!!!

Am hoping that I can get back into the swing of things...have been a little side tracked. Have Dr. Appt this am so must get going....may add new challenge to self for tomorrow....am weaning off the medicinal rum tho! Have stayed away from that demon wine

Ceara
Old 01-28-2004, 07:49 AM   #56  
deleted2

Amarantha, It's fine with me, and I'd love to see more of the queens on this thread! Maybe if we offered a buffet they'd come?

Ceara, great to see you, and you're doing so well with your no-wine challenge! Let us know what the doc says.

Kaylets, your thought about folks making thenselves up for a night out was really interesting. Yep, it's all about marketing--I'll have to ponder how I do that.

Wednesday morning, another day to be gloriously healthy in every way!

Old 01-28-2004, 07:56 AM   #57  
deleted2

Default Tuesday--Jan. 27

coffee w/ ff 1/2 and 1/2
9-grain bagel w/ lite cream cheese, spinach, carrots, onion
clementine

Mexican bean soup
2 ww toast w/ lite cheese, spiinach, carrots, onion

Mexican bean soup
ww bun w/ soy hot dog, mustard, ketchup, onion

Snax: smoothie [choc. soy milk, banana, peanut butter]
apple quesadilla [ww tortilla, sweetened crean cheese, cooked apples]

calories: 1635
fiber: 39 grams
fat: 42 grams
water: 10 cups
exercise: 30 min. bellydance**15 min. abs**4 miles treadmill**25 min. dumbells**15 min. yoga

Old 01-28-2004, 01:16 PM   #58  
Empress/Queen

OKAY DOKEY, SLAYERS OF DEMON FOOD, POST HERE NO MORE!!!! WE ARE STARTING A NEW THREAD, MEETINGS TO BE HELD IN THE IMPERIAL KITCHEN! Elberta Crone, 100-year-old-healthy-palace-chef-with-body-of-20-something-because-she-only-eats-healthy, will be the guest speaker! All CCRRMMs, wandering strangers and neighbors be welcome!

Endeth!
Closed Thread