Old 01-19-2015, 11:41 AM   #31  

Good morning, Loyal Royals. So good to see your Fly By,
Wood Nymph.

I had "subscribed" but was not getting "notifications". Had not checked proper box, I guess, but now have and hopefully that will get me more on the Royal Ball.

That, plus I'm getting a little more familiar with latest electronic gadget. Seems like it will be more convenient than others.

Up about 10 pounds more or less from when I last "admitted". About five I attribute to my move (stress plus not going up and down those stairs). The other five I attribute to a misadventure of 2014. In Feb, I fell and broke ankle. Surgery, three weeks in nursing home in MD, PT,, etc., etc. I'm doing fairly well now but have not squeezed back into exerecise routine. Squeezing into clothes though so it's time to kick my generous butt into gear.

Also parting w/a lot of old clothes simply because they're old and tired. Many going back to my weight loss of 2001 or thereabouts. I hate shopping but new clothes might be a better reward than my beloved food. I know it's my reaction to fatigue, stresses, etc. I can tell you all the good foods, bad foods, calorie counts. What I can't seem to do is apply all that info overload to me.

Anyway, glad to have the support of the Royals again. It was what motivated me for a long time. BTW, I have now been a widow for nine years and knew you all well long before that Can't believe how much time has gone by.

Anyway, great to hear from The Faithful Three!

Last edited by anagramredux; 01-19-2015 at 11:42 AM.
anagramredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #32  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Smile Three day weekend: Day 3

Hello, hello, you best and most beautiful of Queenly folk!

Although I am in Canada, I work for an American company and decided to take MLK day off. Two days are never enough. DH is back to work today and I'm gradually letting go my grandiose plans for what is, after all, only one day. The entire kitchen will not be cleaned. But I might give the counters a good going over and mop the floor. I've made a big pot of split pea soup and done a load of laundry. Walked across town to have coffee with my son.

I'm working over a "Lives lived" piece for a dear friend's mother. Other than that, I will mostly putter this aft. I do love to putter.

Tonight's choir practice -- we're performing Mozart's Requiem and Morten Lauridsen's Lux Aeterna on Good Friday, positively sublime pieces of music.

The intermittent fast went very well last week. By Friday, a shirt that had been just a little too form-fitting was loose. Another that was a good several inches too small is almost buttoning. Huzzah!

And I'm not finding it too difficult. I did 3 days aiming for 500-600 calories and then I felt like it helped me do better on the other days too, as I had practice in responding to "I'm hungry!" with "So what?" instead of going immediately in search of a snack.

One of the best things about it is that it really feels like I'm reintegrating with my real self, the self that I've repressed and suppressed with the help of good old reliable food.

Enough about me -- for the moment

Sage, I love your new name! I'm enjoying the idea of becoming an elder this year, a position I will relish and treasure.

What are you studying? I've started to study shamanism. It may take me a very long time and I may not ever actually finish or become a shaman but it's a path I've started down. Speaking of reintegrating with self.

Anagram, so hard to believe it's been nine years since you lost your royal consort. How well I remember that time.

Ouch, on the broken ankle. I just resprained mine a couple of weeks ago, not anything like the initial sprain but still enough to hamper me. It's getting better but I still have to be careful.

Kaylets, so happy for your new partnership. I was just thinking last night about how life moves on and when we're in a dark and difficult time, we should understand in our bones that there's light and life on the other side.

I've been having interesting and informative dreams lately too, after not remembering them for a long while. I always take that as a good sign.

Windy, rainy and mild here. It's been a real rollercoaster temp-wise: Arctic winter on Saturday and local spring today. In any case, however, we're more than half-way through January. Things are looking up.

Let's make this a good one!

Last edited by Arabella; 01-19-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:59 PM   #33  

Height: 5'2"

I'm on a fly by again as my classes start tomorrow and there is a lot to be done today as I will be on campus and away from home for a longer time than I was last semester and on the computer much more as well.

Just wanted to say hello to Kaylets, Anagram and Arabella and that I read and enjoy each post from you Queens.

Arabella, I am studying a foreign language to me lol: Business. Shamanism sounds wonderful.

I am certainly pushing towards being an elder, but not yet sure I'm a sage, but I like the name, too.

I'm interested to hear your continuing saga on IF. Glad you are finding it not too difficult.

Anagram, sorry to hear of your 2014 misadventure with the ankle. I'm familiar with the squeezing in clothes syndrome as well.

Kaylets, great to see you as always.

Must away now ...

Last edited by Sage2; 01-19-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Sage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #34  

Hello all Royals near and far!!

Here we go Thursday, here we go! Took over a week but only a week to get beyond the 5 minute mark on the bike without breathing hard. Its amazing how quickly we respond to "new" exercise. If it only worked so well on my appetite!

We continue slowly, slowly, slowly, to incorporate, donate, trash things from both houses. More shelves have gone up on the walls, a couple of big plants repotted, and yay! some writing done too!!

Took me a few days to work up myself to calling the place that was holding my part of the my first husband's 401K but finally dialed the number and they were wonderful. Another example of how when you least expect it, good things are all around us.

Here's a thought for today.

“Winter is not a season, it's an occupation.”

Sinclair Lewis
Kaye5861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:47 PM   #35  

Smile The Saturday Palace

So, two weeks of my version of IF seemed to be working wonders and then third week seemed to stall. I had a couple of over-feasting non-fast days. Then yesterday I bit the bullet and weighed in -- up six fluffies from the last time I'd weighed. Which was probably last spring.

I was shocked and appalled. Nevertheless, I've made progress. I'm wearing a shirt and two pairs of pants (not all at once) that were too small before Christmas (and undoubtedly would have been even worse right after had I tried them on).

I had been resisting the actual fasting part of the fast but have been convinced of the benefits and started on a 16:8 IF protocol: Confining any caloric intake to an 8-hour window. Essentially means skipping breakfast. I did it today and felt absolutely fine. The reported benefits are pretty compelling. And next week I expect to be able to move the ticker decisively downward.

Oh, business, Sage? Are you thinking of opening a business? That could be interesting. I often think I'd like to run a little business myself.

Kaylets, what kind of writing are you doing, if that's not too nosy a question? Good going on the incorporating/donating/trashing. I should take inspiration from you on both counts.

Anagram, that "admitting" thing is a real pain, is it not? After I weighed in, all day I kept thinking things like "oh, now I understand why I'm not running up and down stairs" or "now I understand why those clothes didn't fit" and so on. Onward and downward!

We've got one of those wintery weather mixes happening. Lots of snow, followed by freezing rain and then rain, to reverse and go back to snow again. We were supposed to dine in the country with our best couple friends tonight but decided the potential of icy country roads made it prudent to cancel.

I rehearsed some for our Good Friday concert and walked in freezing rain, am intending to paint my toenails Valentine's Day red after I go out for another 20-min walk to complete my steppage for the day. Will light a fire, pour a glass of wine...

Have a blissful weekend, Queenlies!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:54 AM   #36  

Huzzah, Royals. Nice to see thee here on a chilly night.

Arabella, congratulations on your progress and hope you enjoy doing the 16/8 protocol. I think it is the best IF plan. I've tried a lot of them, I do believe in the benefits but don't do well on the fasts and always bonk.

I'm not really looking to start any new businesses at the moment, have been there, done that. I'm just going to school for more education.

Kaylets, congratulations on your progress with the house and the writing and exercise.

Am very sleepy, Queens, must away. Have a good week, all.

Last edited by Sage2; 02-02-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #37  

Hello to all Royals near and far!!

Although this kingdom has not had the constant blizzards of the Boston area,
everytime the Royal forecaster has warned of freezing temperatures, he is correct. We have had a couple of days of almost above freezing temps, one or two days of teasing almost 10 degrees above freezing but another frigid weather front is due. My shoulders felt the weather changes and reminded me of how the more fit I am, the less pain I feel and made me wonder how I could forget such an immense benefit of being strong and fit.

But, at least I can say I have begun again. Am getting very close to 10 minutes hard riding on the stationary bike before breaking a sweat and might even make that 10 min mark in the morning.

Continue to sort, stop and put up a shelf or a hanging rack in the laundry/mudroom/pantry and/or spend some time watching the birds compete with the squirrels at the bird feeders.

Finally carved some time this morning before the day began and a few pages later, was relieved I can still put pen to paper even though its been awhile.

Wood Nymph, to answer your question--- I am working on a memoir which blends some women ancestors who have been mentors especially during my 1st DH's illness and then after his death. The memoir also blends a topic from the years I was giving speeches. The topic was about how many of us feel we can't be ourselves either with family, job or life in general because certain expectations of ourselves, "the right school, the best career, what a smart person would think, etc, etc, etc".

There are passages about myself that are easier written on days I feel more removed yet always take me back to those emotions when my 1st DH was ill.
How interesting it took me so long to explain the book! Note to self, perhaps I am making this project too complicated.

Isn't that ironic? How sometimes splitting hairs to the tiniest degree for situations that will never occur will paralyze any forward movement? is perfectionism just a subterfuge for procrastination? or vice versa? Ying/Yang? Physics? For every action there is an equal opposite? so, if nothing is done, nothing will be done. A body at rest remains at rest. LOL, but if the brain is busy obsessing about what should be done, is the body at rest relaxed????

This Royal is just getting silly now. But on the other hand, you may see that paragraph again.

Anyway, my Royals, I wish you all good tidings and wonderful sunrises and sunsets, lovely music and laughter.

Till next time.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #38  

Flying by again...

I've squoze off another couple of fluffies, 2.5 over the last two weeks. Theoretically, the metabolic benefits of IF are supposed to start kicking in at around the 3 week mark. That would be swell.

I'm still not finding it difficult, just delaying breakfast to have a 14-16 hour stretch with no caloric intake. I usually don't eat in the evening at all anyway, although on the weekends I'm apt to have another festive beverage after dinner. The biggest adjustment was no cream in my coffee but it was harder in theory than in practice. I might start incorporating a couple of "fast" 500-cal days to speed things up. I felt like it wasn't working for me when I was doing three days -- weight seemed to fall off immediately and then stalled and I was chilly all the time so I thought my metabolism was maybe slowing. Not the effect I was looking for. But that was with 2 consecutive days and maybe doing them non-consecutively would work.

Kaylets, your memoir sounds powerful and fascinating -- what a wonderful project!

Sage, I salute you going back to studies purely for the education.

Anagram, come on back!

Let's make this a good one, Lovelies.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #39  

Also another fly by here and huzzah, so nice to see fellow Royals here in the palace this holiday morning.

Arabella, thanks re the kind words about my college project and its educational value. It is a little more than just gaining more knowledge, I guess. I never know where my lifelong addiction to college will lead me and I often learn and gain things that I don't know I'm looking for and I'm never too old to do that lol.

Kaylets, congrats on your book project. It sounds interesting.

Re my weight status, I keep a personal logging thread in another section of the forum and the weight ticker also shows my status. College at my age is hungry work so I'm eating too much. I am down a little since January 1, though, and happy with that. Not struggling mightily with a hurry to get back to my goal, but t'would help some with the chronic pain issues and I would like some nice capris I have in the closet to fit.

I'm doing a little Valentine's Week personal challenge to stay under 2000 calories for seven consecutive days. That's all I really need to do for weight right now.

Must away, greetings to all Royals, near and far.

Last edited by Sage2; 02-14-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #40  

Hello to all Royals Near and Far! Hoping all is well in your realm or at least, if there is something amiss, you have the Royal Manager handling.

Lol, if only!!! At least in this kingdom, this Queen is also the Royal Manager. At least I know her references!!

Thanks for the kind words regarding my writing project. I have had a couple of good ideas the past couple of days about a chapter about my grandmother in Chicago during the Great Depression. Decided the image of a pregnant woman standing in a soup line is not just the truth of the story but also very strong emotionally. At the very least, I like the idea. LOL, I have a number of notebooks with ideas I have liked very much too!!!
This version I do like better because its more polished.

Also happening currently in the realm, the castle I lived with my first husband just went up for sale yesterday. So far, 3 appointments scheduled in first day. Could have been leads the realtor knew were interested but all in all, I am taking as a good sign. Now that its on the market, its very freeing to know that I can stop thinking about what else I can do to make it more "buyable". There isn't much budget left to put into that castle which also keeps the "Shoulda woulda, coulda's " to a minimum.
but please, any good thoughts for the castle sale would be greatly appreciated.

Have been burning calories shoveling---lol, snow blower not working well so hand shoveling has been order of business. Once I finish this post I get on the stationary bike. Somehow, ( and I am not kidding), riding the bike got away from me for a couple days. Fresh Start Card please and back at it!

Hope everyone is well.
Empress, how close were those llamas to where you are ?? And how are the classes proceeding??

Wood Nymph, how goes it your way?

Anagram, are your recving notifications now? I am not either and have to admit, don't see any buttons or places to check. I could use some notifications.

Sure would like to know how our good friend Royal Wendy is.

All right, off to the bike.

My best to all!
Old 03-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #41  

Happy March to all Royals, near and far. This Sage Queen loves the month of March, although t'is going to rain here & my citrus trees (in giant pots outdoors) are going to get too wet, I'm afraid.

Kaylets, love the image of a woman standing strong in a soup line during the Depression.

Don't feel like the lone rangerette in the exercise bike getting away from you. I've been too busy to even get in 10,000 steps a day, which is my Fitbit lodestone. Plus I've been under the weather and beseiged with the looming of midterms. Gained a pound but am happy I am still at a happy, healthy weight, although my goal of 118 remains strong in my imagination.

The llamas were a long way from where I live but I used to work in that community. I love llamas, wrote about them a lot back in the midwest as there were a lot of residents in the area I worked in that had these sweeties as pets. Actually, they are rather bad tempered (in my experience) and so calling them "sweeties" is a little much, but they certainly are adorable animals and I rather like bad tempered critters.

I have a bunch of chores to do before I settle down in the Homework Factory here, where I need to really get moving to get caught up. The week after next is (yay) Spring Break, but before that comes midterms.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #42  

Here we go Friday, here we go!

Hello to all Royals, near and Far!!

Sometimes the days move by so quickly. Can't believe its been almost 2 weeks since I posted. The castle for sale is now a castle under contract with inspections, details, etc. that need to be handled "ASAP". But, the emails and calls for info are okay because its the what I have been hoping would happen. Funny sometimes the efforts you make, the long range planning, the many hours working to resolve a life or financial problem only makes room for the problems that resolution brings.
The castle sale, ( hopefully) only needs to make it to settlement and these details will be history. So many other life problems, relationship or fitness, I used to believe when resolved would be stress free. Never believed that maintaining a fitness level is tough, maybe tougher than achieving a fitness level. Closing up the castle too, there are many unexpected emotional stressors: another concrete example of how much my life has changed.

Which leads me back to taking care of myself, remembering any kind of progress is still progress and progress doesn't need to be perfection. For me, when everything speeds up holding on tight is often far more painful than "leaning in" some and letting the life's momentum carry me.

On a much brighter note, here in this realm, clocks have changed and we have more daylight in the evening. Weather has been much, much more like spring and haven't had to shovel in almost 10 days.
And yesterday, was my new DH's and my 17 mos anniversary.

For me, gratitude has tempered so many of the ugly things life throws at us.

Hope all Royals are doing well in all their doings!!! Here's to all of us!!
Old 03-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #43  

Have a happy April (coming up soon), all Royals near and far.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #44  

Hello all, near and far!

If all goes as planned, the Delaware castle closes settlement this coming Monday! Looks like all my paperwork details have been satisfied so it is looking better and better that this will happen.

Exciting, yes. But on the other hand, the Delaware castle sale represents a very large symbol of my first DH's death. The castle sale will eliminate a monthly mortgage payment and lots of trips for lawn care, etc. So many things will be easier once the castle is sold. But there is the bittersweet-- the castle will be gone. Mind you, it was never a castle I loved, just could afford.

Bittersweet, such an evocative word.

Meanwhile, since the very last load came out of the Delaware castle, the pile of keep, donate, why didn't we trash this before we brought this to the new castle continues.

In between, the usual errands and task to keep household up and running.
Current DH has just been diagnosed with trigger finger, we meet a new Orthopeadic doctor on Tuesday for decisions regarding cortisone or out patient surgery.

But enough about me. World seems so crazy. That plane flown into the alps really touched me I knew none of the passengers but still, very saddened. Some of the other horrifying thins seem to try to break the standard for horror. Keeps me grateful that my problems are so manageable compared to so many others.

Which brings me full circle to taking care of myself, treating myself royally. I need to recommit, make a real space for movement, sunlight, doing more so I can do more. Progress of any distance is still progress. '''

Oh, reminded myself of one of the best motivators: dressing room mirror from the side angle. YIKES!

but, progress of any distance is still progress.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday. My best to all of us!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #45  

Hello all, near and far!

If all goes as planned, the Delaware castle closes settlement this coming Monday! Looks like all my paperwork details have been satisfied so it is looking better and better that this will happen.

Exciting, yes. But on the other hand, the Delaware castle sale represents a very large symbol of my first DH's death. The castle sale will eliminate a monthly mortgage payment and lots of trips for lawn care, etc. So many things will be easier once the castle is sold. But there is the bittersweet-- the castle will be gone. Mind you, it was never a castle I loved, just could afford.

Bittersweet, such an evocative word.

Meanwhile, since the very last load came out of the Delaware castle, the pile of keep, donate, why didn't we trash this before we brought this to the new castle continues.

In between, the usual errands and task to keep household up and running.
Current DH has just been diagnosed with trigger finger, we meet a new Orthopeadic doctor on Tuesday for decisions regarding cortisone or out patient surgery.

But enough about me. World seems so crazy. That plane flown into the alps really touched me I knew none of the passengers but still, very saddened. Some of the other horrifying thins seem to try to break the standard for horror. Keeps me grateful that my problems are so manageable compared to so many others.

Which brings me full circle to taking care of myself, treating myself royally. I need to recommit, make a real space for movement, sunlight, doing more so I can do more. Progress of any distance is still progress. '''

Oh, reminded myself of one of the best motivators: dressing room mirror from the side angle. YIKES!

but, progress of any distance is still progress.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday. My best to all of us!