Old 01-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #16  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

OH Magnolias ~ I had my post all written and poof it was gone. I hate that when it happens and I always say I should type it here in my word program every time so I will have it saved and then I get to typing on the thread and that happens but only on occasion. I’ll begin again only typing it in my word program this go-round.

I have my menu planned for tomorrow night’s meal when we will have guests. I am serving meatloaf, baked potatoes, green salad, green beans, corn, fresh pineapple spears, clover leaf rolls, and then later ~ sugar free fat free pistachio pudding for dessert. That is my plan and I can stay OP with what I choose to eat and the portion sizes I have.

I like serving fruit with a meat dish. I guess that comes from a childhood with a mother that did that. We always had lots of fresh fruit in the house and she served it along with meals. My favorite fruits are Thompson green grapes and Cuties. However I have never met a fruit that I didn’t like. I don’t much like pealing Kiwis but I like them a lot so do it anyway. My apples have to be crisp for I don’t care for the soft variety. I like bananas but don’t eat them often for I like other fruit much better. However, I do eat a banana when I have a leg cramp. The potassium in them takes the cramp away. We usually do have bananas in the house for Will likes them a lot and I call them “medicine”. I ate the last of my Cuties last evening so that is on the shopping list which Will took with him on his errands. Fresh pineapple is great. I will be serving some of it with dinner tomorrow night. Since we buy them fresh I get to cut them up however I want, and I like to make spears and chunks instead of the traditional round ones that come in a can. Spears fit so nicely in an oblong container I have. I really do prefer to eat some fruit with a sandwich instead of chips. Well, unless it’s Cheetos ® ~ which is a red light food for me so we buy them in small bags which are 4+P each. If I get a huge bag I am a gonner. It is good for me that I recognize that fact and so use behavior mod on myself. That is what this WW thing is all about ~ Behavior Modification.

DONNA FAYE How long do you bake that asparagus dish? It sounds so yummy and I love “crisp”. Do you think that freshly ground parmesan cheese would work? I guess I could go to the pizza joint and get some of their packets of dried if that is what works best in that recipe. We don’t have any of the dried variety of for we use the freshly ground kind. I have cut chunks to fit in my grater of Parmesan/Rigatoni, Ramono, & plain Parmesan wrapped in plastic wrap then in foil and placed in plastic freezer bags. Hard cheeses freeze so well and that way we don’t lose it with decay. If we don’t use all what is in the grater I place it in a plastic bag into the fridge. It keeps nicely there until the next use and handy. I like a little grated over eggs and some veggies such as steamed . I think it a smart thing you are doing to assemble the blocks of that throw as they are finished. I am sure she will love it as a stroller throw. You are so very nice to make it for her.

JEAN I would love to be going to Hawaii with you ~ think what fun we would have in the and the surf. I would even rent a surf board and shoot the curls but that is out of the question. I never surfed anywhere but in CA and Hawaii has the best surf they say. Will and I don’t ever want to fly again so that is left to traveling on this continent for there are many places we want to re-visit and places we want to see for the first time. However, I do wish you the best of travels. Well we could get a sail boat and sail to Hawaii. Now that’s a thought. We know some folks that did that a few years back. However, we would rather pull our Jeep behind a motor home than a sail boat. But that leaves the possibility of renting one.

SUSAN I hope all is well with you this day.

SATISFY YOUR CRAVINGS ~ IN MODERATION
Is your stress buster a bag of peanut butter cups or caramel popcorn? Keep cravings under control (even when your life isn’t) by setting serving of the craved food on your desk and eating only that amount.

PLAN YOUR ORDER BEFORE YOU GET THERE
Have your order in mind at the drive-through, and make a beeline to the healthiest kiosk at the food court. Don’t let the choices tempt or overwhelm you. If you don’t know the menu, check the restaurant’s Web site so you can plan for the best option.

I keep a WW Dining Out Companion booklet in my glove compartment and it has “saved me” many times when we are “out and about.” I have to use the tools available to me to help me down this road to thin.

Have a wonderful afternoon/evening Magnolias. Type at y’all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #17  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another gloomy day in my neighborhood but it has warmed up to 32 degress and NO wind. I worked in the gift shop this morning, went to tan after having lunch in the coffee shop, ran a couple more errands, and headed home. My house looks like a tornado went through with piles of "stuff" everywhere. I hope nobody comes to visit before I get it picked up after I finish here.

"Gma" -- Rain is good for growing green grass and flowers! I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think that anyone who doesn't knit, crochet, make craft items, etc., appreciates the time and effort it takes to make something. I'm sure the blanket will be beautiful! You are so nice to make it for the new baby.

Maggie -- I've been down the lost post road too. I'm glad you persevered! I'm free tomorrow night in case your supper guests cancel out on you. Just before we leave Maui we order fresh pineapple to be shipped home. We have it delivered to Bob's office so we know someone will be there to receive it. I'm not sure I would want to sail from CA to HI. A friend checked into a trip package and that part seemed like wasted days. They decided to fly instead.

Susan -- Two more days and it's the weekend for you!

Well, the pixies aren't coming to pick up my piles so guess I had better get moving! Enjoy the rest of your day and evening.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #18  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Thursday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Good morning Magnolias it is a whopping 48º here in the Heartland and expected to climb to 52º degrees. I don’t have much on my ticket to do this day except get my cooking times organized so dinner will be ready at 7 pm. I’ll get all the other items all ready and in the fridge except the rolls. There will be four of us and that will make for lively conversation. I love cooking for company. I have figured my food intake for today and am staying inside the lines. I have decided to put a thin layer of chopped walnuts between the vanilla pudding and the pistachio in the nice single serving dishes. Then on top I will sprinkle graham cracker dust with a spike of cracker stuck in the pudding. It will make a festive low point+ dessert all dressed up.

I can do some glass work before it is time to start cooking. Pretty soon we will have to put up another shelf in the front room for the two up there are getting quite full. Will has just left for his work at the Museum so I will be all alone for awhile. He has some guns there that were mistreated at another museum to get back to exact. The director of the Museum bought all the tools and chemicals Will needs to get the job done. Some of the real old ones are starting to rust and that is not good. Will is loving it ~ got lots of guns to refurbish and the proper tools to get the job done.

I got the tickets printed out for the upcoming US Constitution seminar and dinner coming up in February being sponsored by the local chapter of the T-party. It will be an all day affair with a meal served at noon. The local leader here told me that Will and I are his two most favorite people in the chapter. Well that is a no brainier, we are the ones that will do the work we say we will and others don’t follow through and have to be prodded. We are his “go to” people. These tickets sell for $20 which covers the meal and the hand-out material. No profit is being made. It will be an interesting session for sure and I am looking forward to it. It will be interesting to learn all about our Constitution. We studied it way back in grade school but that was a long time ago. I believe it is important to get a good refresher of our country’s Constitution.

It is so quiet in here for the animals are all sleeping. Nap time. It is so funny when the dogs make their last outside run before turning in for the night; the cat goes right with them out the doggie door. When they come in he also comes in right behind them. When Cecil goes out by himself, he usually doesn’t go far from the back steps and doesn’t stay out very long. He likes to take a snooze in the sun. I would be very surprised if he ever left the yard where his dogs are. He could get out of the fence but I don’t think he will and hope that he doesn’t. Right now he doesn’t get far from his dogs. Soon he gets his front claws removed and neutered, soon.

JEAN I would love to have you come for dinner. Half the fun of sailing to Hawaii is the getting there if one is retired. But if you have a time frame where you have to be there and back it isn't that good. Plus that couple I told you that sailed to Hawaii were on their honeymoon and hit foul weather and she ended up with a broken leg. The boat needed some welding done to it and there was no one on the island that could do it so they had to get a man from the states to fly over and fix the boat. It was quite an expensive honeymoon. It was good that the welder was an older friend of the bride and my brothers father in law so he was happy to go help them out. I worked with the gal for she was a parole officer out where I was employed. Small world. Did you get your house in order yet? My house pixies are a lazy bunch also.

EAT BEFORE YOU SHOP
Don’t head into the grocery store on an empty stomach. You’ll crave and buy fatty foods for dinner as opposed to meals you plan on making for the rest of the week. When you plan ahead, you eat healthier.

FEED YOUR ADDICTION
Are you nuts over French fires? Feed your addiction by making a healthy version: slice potatoes, drizzle with a healthy oil, and bake.

Everyone have a lovely afternoon/evening. I am off to get some things accomplished before I start cooking.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-26-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #19  

Good afternoon gals! I am finally home from the hospital, the vets, and the hair salon, ate some lunch and will go get Jack in a couple hours. I am beyond peeved at the idiot nurse this gyn has. If you remember right, she called me saying someone changed my appt with my regular dr to afternoon and when I told her I couldn't come in at 2 pm she hunted up another appt and made it for the 3rd which is the Friday before my surgery on Monday. She said "It will be tight, but I think it will be ok." She just called here and was miffed. She wanted to know why I changed my original appt because it was cutting it too close before surgery!!! I read her the riot act and she said, "No ma'am, I did not do that." I told her she most certainly did and told her exactly what she did when she called. I was furious and she knew it and backed down. I then ask her about my ct scan as I haven't ever gotten the results. "Oh, we have had them since the day after you had the test." I told her off for not letting me know about those too and ask her if everything was ok. She goes on and on about scar tissue, my gall bladder surgery that I have two hernias, etc, etc, but never mentioned anything about if my ovaries and such looked ok until I specifically asked her. "Oh yes, they're fine," she said. Geez what a nitwit. I know I have scar tissue, a missing gall bladder and the hernias from the colon surgeries and they all have not a thing to do with what the ct scan was for in the first place. I am beginning to wish I had tried to make an appt with the other gynecologist that left the clinic and went downtown. She is still with UT Medical so more than likely I could have seen her, but thought the one at my practice was more convenient. Now I am wondering if that was such a good idea. I have had to have my blood tests twice, the hospital won't do surgical procedures when there is anethesia if you haven't had an EKG in the last two months and she never scheduled me for one, the nurse that took my blood had me take one this morning, then she screwed up my regular dr appts and blamed ME! Well, at least I am all set for the surgery. Just have to have my regular dr sign off on it next Friday.

Fortune is good now until August with his heartworm and I scheduled his yearly appt for the 10th and grooming same day so will just drop him off first thing that morning and they will then do everything and call me when he is done.

The little gal that cuts my hair wasn't there and I didn't want to come back so just had someone else do it. She did a fairly decent job I think, but we shall see after I wash it the first time.

Maggie: Here is what I do with the asparagus, one bundle, remove ends and wash then take a baking dish, lay them out flat though they can touch, pour a bit of olive oil, about tbl garlic that is minced and I just shake some parmesaan on until the oil is sort of pasty. Mix the asparagus all in the oil concoction and let sit for at least a couple hours for the garlic to infuse into the oil and veggie. Bake in the oven at 425 for about 20 minutes. You can try it with grated cheese. The dry stuff just seems to stick to the asparagus and as it cooks it gets brown and crunchy and yummy. I would try it both ways and see which way you like it better.

Jean: I am not sure I would make this particular blanket again. One of the worst things is that row with the knit 4 together. That is really tough on the hands of this old lady. I am just to the point where I am no longer enjoying it, just want to get it done. I love fresh pineapple, but it doesn't love me. It gives me mouth sores when I eat it. I still eat it from time to time when I crave it, but usually stay away from it. The most exciting thing to buy in St Thomas is jewelry and liquor I hear. We will bring the kids back a bottle each of something and I have my eye on this gorgeous ring at one of the jewelers there that has a website. I haven't decided what to get the boys though, especially Thomas, who has already been to St Thomas. Ooooh, big surprise there! The kid is going to climb Killamanjaro this year! Nonny is already nervous about that one.

Well gals, I need to do some work as no one else is here to do it. Clothes to fold and dishes to unload and such. Have a great Thursday! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #20  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining, it's 35 degrees, and the snow is melting . . . just in time for more coming tomorrow. I had my nails (toes too!) done this morning, went to the grocery store, and have picked up the rest of my piles from yesterday. A load of clothes is in the washer and towels are in the dryer. I'm making progress!

Maggie -- It sounds like you have your evening meal planned and ready to go for the most part. Dessert, and everything else, will be yummy! I'd like to attend the Constitution seminar as it will be interesting. I missed going into informative classes with students when I got stuck in study halls. My house is picked up and the top layer is clean. Just don't look in any closets or behind closed doors. I do eat before I grocery shop or else I end up with things I never intended to buy. I've never tried baking french fries; they are something I can pass up unless they are home made in a mom 'n pop cafe.

"Gma" -- I hope you share your opinion of the nurse and her snafus with the doctor when you get a chance. What a hassle! It's good that you knew what some of your innards would look like. I would be nervous about my grandchild climbing a mountain too!

I need to fold towels and think about something for supper. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening . . . I hope there is no politicin' on the tube tonight!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #21  

Good morning gals. It is sunny and cool here this morning. Yesterday it rained all day and was totally lousy, but today it is lovely. I am very crampy today and miserable so I doubt anything will get done. I am just sitting and knitting.

I have been watching Discovery ID this morning. Always interesting murder cases. It is amazing what people will do to each other.

Jean: My body looks like a topographical road map in this stage so it doesn't surprise me I have hernias scar tissue, etc. It would be impossible not to have the stuff. Knowing for sure about the hernias though at least helps me understand why it hurts when Fortune walks across my abdomen or bending over "pinches" for lack of better words. Did you buy new clothes for your trip this year??? I have a lot to wear if I can lose enough weight to get into them. That might be the problem at this point. I just can't focus on working my program as I should right now. I am not binging or whatever, but I also just pick up what is easy to eat in the pantry or kitchen and usually the easy stuff tends to have more fat and such. I am trying to at least stay even until after the procedure and then maybe the pain will be gone.

Not much else going on here. I guess I will get back to knitting my blanket squares. Have a great weekend. I am hoping to clean downstairs and shampoo the living room rug because Fortune puked on it a couple days ago and he upchucked a treat that had red food coloring in it I guess because it turned the carpet pink. Faye
Old 01-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #22  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! We got a skiff of snow this morning but not the predicted freezing rain. It came down pretty hard for an hour or so, but now is slop. I had some errands to run and wanted one last tan session so left in the midst of it. Bob had a meeting today with a free lunch included so I won't see him until after 5.

"Gma" -- I hope you feel better as the day goes along. Last summer when we were in MN, I bought 4 pairs of capris and never wore them. I tried them on last weekend; I must be shrinking because they looked like I had outgrown slacks instead of being mid calf length. I took them to the cleaners to be shortened. I could have done it if I would have had more time, but I just didn't want the hassle. I'm picking up this weeks gift shop money later this afternoon so will only have 2 weeks worth when we get back. I'm meeting with the volunteer director Monday morning to give her the checkbook, bank deposit book, etc., in case something would happen, to me, while we're gone. I know all about eating what is quick and easy, that's my main problem. I hope Fortune's tummy has settled down again.

I've got to do some more clothes sorting. My SOS box is full and I'm starting a second box. I have way too many clothes I never wear! Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #23  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Windy Friendly Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Good afternoon Magnolias. It is so windy here today that it is stopping me up. Good thing I keep a lot of tissue boxes around the house. The temp is 45º and not expected to get much higher this day. I just had two Cuties and a serving of jerky and it sure tasted good. Tonight we will be having meatloaf Panini sandwiches for dinner so I don’t have to do any planning in that direction. I do hope the bread we have is sturdy enough to hold up. I think it is, because it is of that high fiber kind that is only 1 P+ per slice and tasty. Last evening Ernie was very interested in my Cuisinart Griddler® and asked a lot of questions about it so I think he just might get his wife one. It is really my most used appliance beside my microwave of course. When this one ever quits working I will get another one just like it. I have certainly had this one for years and the newer model will be welcomed in this kitchen when the time comes, if ever. The removable plates are dishwasher-safe which makes clean up a breeze.

We watched a movie that was a hoot called “Cowboys and Aliens” with Harrison Ford as an unpleasant character. The good guys, bad guys and Indians had to all work together to fight the enemy. Also a dog in it that was quite the dog. I recommend you rent it if you want to see a different type of Western. Quite well acted. Probably we will watch it again in a few years.

OH the wind is blowing. Reminds me of the movie “Oklahoma ~ where the wind comes whistling down the plane.” Will just came in and said it is awful. We are under an advisory ~ whatever that means. Cleans whatever trash there is out of the streets and alleys and sends it way far away. This town always looks so clean.

I had Will stand on a chair so I could trace around his feet on a sheet the boot place sent. I then made all the measurements up his feet and legs and entered them on the chart. The boots will be special made and Will should have them in March. We did all this measuring before but they only keep the records for a certain amount of years and it has been awhile since he had his other ones made. Meanwhile he has some inserts that will help him in his shoes. I was laughing when I was tracing around his feet because they are wider than the drawings on the page.

DONNA FAYE Looks like you will be through knitting that little blanket throw soon and then we can see a picture of it. I know you will be so happy to get rid of that pain ~ soon. Your procedure gets ever closer.

JEAN You are going to be a nice color when you finish up the tanning sessions and be all ready for your fun in the sun in Hawaii. BTW, I sent your check back ~ since that book nor the postage cost us anything you don't need to pay either. Spend that money on something on your vacation. You can keep your snow and maybe you would like some of our wind to go with it ~ please O please take the wind.

TWO-ITEM BUFFET RULE
Increased variety leads to increased consumption. If you keep introducing new foods, your brain won’t register when you’re full. So choose only two items, then push your plate away.

DOGGIE BAG TO GO (BEFORE YOU EAT!)
Research has show that people view food, whether it’s a half-cup or heaping plate, as one serving unit. So when you eat out, have the waiter box half of your dish before bringing it to the table. If you don’t see the missing portion. you won’t feel deprived.

Everyone have a lovely afternoon. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-27-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #24  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday & Sunny

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Good afternoon everyone. Where is everybody this day? Hopefully you are all having a good time with whatever it is you are into. The weather is hovering around 45º this day and we just got back from a wonderful drive in the country. The winter wheat is coming up and all the hills will be covered with green if we ever get enough rain. I took my sf ff latte along to sip on and it is now almost gone.

I got a building cut out last evening which will be a white church with blue windows and brown roof and a white steeple. Every little village needs a church that is for sure. I’ll grind the edges smooth later when I finish here. I got all my house work done before we went out and about so I can putter with my glass. I took a little chunk out of my pointer finger top knuckle when I was reaching down for a large piece of glass to cut and that is that. I put “New Skin ~ Liquid Bandage” on it and it is doing fine. I love that stuff. You put a thin coating on the cut 3 times daily and it keeps it medicated and covered. I rarely ever cut myself when working with glass. Can’t remember the last time I did cut myself.

Will’s shades took a notion to break so the cat is having fun playing with one of the bows batting it all over this office of mine. While we were gone today he was snoozing in our room and just woke up a couple minutes ago. Will got a call from the vet that we can make an appointment to have him neutered and de-clawed.

I have pork chops thawing for dinner and will make some of my rice mix and a green salad and some other veggies to serve along with some fresh pineapple spears. So dinner is planned. For lunch I had half a meatloaf sandwich and some soup. I’ll put this day to bed with my points in tune. I love it when a plan comes together. I still have 42 of my extra 49 points+ left to spend or not to spend. I do best when I don’t use them all up.

PICK YOUR PROTEIN
Substitute fish for red meat and chicken twice a week. Fish is lower in saturated fat than poultry, beef or pork. Plus studies have shown that the type of fat found in fish – polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids – can help protect you from heart disease.

MIX IT UP
Simple different cuisines. Have a spicy Thai meal one week, then Italian the next. Eating a variety of foods makes every meal an experience. It also helps you be conscious of the flavor and texture of everything you eat, which will help you feel satisfied.

Have a wonderful late afternoon/evening my Magnolia friends. Type at y’all later.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #25  

Good Afternoon/Evening! The sun was shining brightly and I ran a couple errands early (for me) this morning. The gift shop deposit was only $41 so was hardly worth the effort to do the paperwork. That's the least amount since I started this job, but it's slow after Christmas and the merchandise is limited since the buyer is gone for 6 weeks. We were invited out for a turkey dinner at Amanda's parents, along with Jason and family. We never have turkey "off" holiday time so it was fun. I think Ian and Zowie have grown another inch since Christmas. Needless to say, being gone for a few hours has put me behind in my packing.

Maggie -- I bet you heard an echo in here this afternoon! I really wish, wish, wish you would quit sharing your wind with me! Will will be anxious to get his new boots I'm sure. I hope your knuckle doesn't take long to heal. I like that liquid skin too. Amanda's mom ordered a book that was advertised on tv; it promotes no white sugar, bread, carbs, etc., and tells how different foods work together. It is geared towards diabetics but would work for anyone; she's lost weight and been off insulin for over a week. She checked with her doctor and he told her to give it a try; she's a nurse so knows how to monitor her insulin levels. I'm not sure I could stick to how strict it is in the beginning but she said she had no cravings. One hint was that if you crave chocolate, to eat one Hershey's Kiss and the craving is satisfied. I would have to get rid of all the WW snacky kind of stuff and they are too expensive to pitch! I know we eat too much of the same old things; I need to be more creative. I wish I liked to cook!

I need to change clothes and count my clothes piles headed for the suitcase. Enjoy your evening!

Last edited by Jean; 01-28-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #26  

Good morning gals. I am stepping away from the knitting for a bit so I can let the steam out of my ears. My circular needles just broke off on the end!! I have no other needle in this size except for my double pts and they are short and of course open on both ends because they are made for kntting in the round. I am going to have to use them to try and finish the blanket up which does not make me happy. I have these needle protectors for the ends of needles, but the ones I have are really too big to stick on the one end to keep the stitches from sliding off, but I have to figure out something so I can finish as I need to mail it out next week.

Maggie: We bought 5 dvd's last payday, one of which is the "Cowboys and Aliens" movie so I am looking forward to watching it. We are taking a bunch of movies with us when we go to Chattanooga as the room has a dvd player in it. We have watched the "Smurf" movie and the last mummy movie that has been made, but the last three are all my choices and something Jack probably will care nothing about watching.

Jean: I am sure you are running around trying to settle things up before you go. Hey, even though it cost to have your capris shortened, it is great they are a bit bigger as long as they aren't too big. I believe the term for those type of pants are "flood" pants. They are long, but come up above the ankle instead of below it. One of my high school friends lives in the Atlantic coast of Florida and she said Food Lion has gone out of business and all their stores were selling everything 50% off. She bought like 3 big turkeys and a bunch of canned and packaged goods and freezer stuff. She said the rest of the meat was gone or stuff was picked over, but she said she is going to freeze the turkeys and keep one and give the other two away so I imagine they will have turkey non holiday season too. It is funny that people seem to have the turkey for Thanksgiving, ham or turkey for Christmas and ham for Easter mentality. At least, that is what I have always found. We have turkey roast a lot through the year, but I never buy a whole turkey as we would never eat it all even freezing it as it would freezer burn before we ate it all up I am afraid.

Well, back to knitting and a bit of housecleaning later today. Have a great day and a good start to the week tomorrow. I have one more week of this stuff then I get relief I hope. I am almost to a level of depression and I have never been that way before, but then I have never had chronic pain like this either. I have to say those that do must have incredible courage to go through it. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-30-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #27  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I'm taking a quick break from counting clothes and packing. I also need to make a last minute check off list for just before we walk out the door tomorrow. The sun has disappeared but the wind isn't blowing so that's good. It's chilly at 27 degrees. We went to early church, Bob's last official Sunday to usher for another year. He often fills in when needed though, as he likes to usher.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry about your broken knitting needles! I hope you didn't have to redo any of the stitches. I am not a huge turkey fan so I never fix a whole one since my family only likes the white meat. Sometimes I'll do a breast and a ham for Christmas. I hope this week goes by quickly for you and then you will be on the mend soon.

I need to get back to my clothes. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening. I'm going to try and check in while gone but don't be surprised if I don't. I usually have trouble finding the thread on other computers for some reason.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #28  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

We are in the high 50º’s this day and it feels great. It is said we will be warmer even tomorrow. Hallelujah. Not much going on this day however we went on a quest to find will some new sunglasses. Gracious sakes, a couple stores we went to said they are a seasonal item and they won’t get any in before a couple of months. So off to the dollar store and he found a pair. You can’t even get an air popcorn popper here until it is Christmas season for it is a seasonal item also. Not much happening this day but church this morning and evening. I am going to do some glass work in awhile which will keep me busy.

DONNA FAYE Hope you like that Cowboys and Aliens movie as much as we did. I just wanted to tell Harrison Ford to “shut up” when the Indian Chief was talking. Have you tried putting a cork on the end of your knitting needles or an eraser to keep the knitting on the needles? I have used both and they do the trick. I am sure you will be joyful when you get that throw finished and delivered.

JEAN Just don’t forget anything you can’t do without. Like any meds you might be on. All else can be replaced or done without. Do you just leave your cat at home with plenty of water and food? When we go to Texas in February we are leaving the dogs with the vet but haven’t yet decided about Cecil. He can survive here with food and water but he will sure miss his dogs. We will have to check and see if the folks at the vet will take Cecil and put him in with Beanie & Ragg Mopp since they are such buds. Bon Voyage tomorrow. Have a wonderful time and safe trip. When you get back give us a run down how and what you did.

DON’T BUY FOOD IN BULK
The more food you see, the more likely you are to eat. Stick to regular-size packages, or pick up the bulk version ~ but divide and conquer as soon as possible. By using re-sealable bags or plastic containers to portion-control how much you eat at each sitting, you’ll keep your diet in check and cut down on packaging waste at the same time.

PICK PRODUCE THAT TRIGGERS LOWER GLUCOSE RESPONSE
Fruits and vegetables with the lowest glycemic index include apples, apricots, asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, celery, cherries, cucumbers, grapefruit, green beans, lettuce, mushrooms, plums, spinach, strawberries, sweet peppers, and tomatoes.

Have a wonderful afternoon Magnolias. I am off to do some glass work.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #29  

Maggie -- You could share some of your warm weather! I noticed sunglasses at WM the other day when I was looking for something else. They had air poppers too, because I've thought about buying a 2nd one before ours dies. We have a gal who will come in daily to feed Ernie his soft food, treats, and give him fresh water. We leave dry food out all day so if the weather gets bad she can skip a day or two and he will be fine. We've never boarded any of our cats. I don't think cats do as well, but Cecil would probably be much happier with RM and Beanie. Good hints again today! Thanks!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #30  

Good morning gals! It is chilly outside and the furnace is running at the moment, but it warms up into the upper 50's most days and is sunny, though looks like by the end of the week it is gonna rain. Seems like it always has to rain on the days I keep the car. I have a regular dr appt on Friday and want to run some errands. I need to contact Kelly and see if I can pick up the baby gift at her house on Friday so I can ship it all out over the weekend. I have one square to go if I do the regular size, but it looks too small to me, more like a doll blanket so I am going to add three more squares to the side to make it a totally square blanket instead of rectangle.

Man, my ears are ringing big time this morning. I usually ignore it when I have the ear ringing, but seems awfully loud this morning. I can't take any pain meds at all until after the surgery now, so it has been a bit difficult for me, but I just have to try and ignore it the best way I can and go on. Oh, and I didn't swear on my last post where the astericks are, I just said c**p think and it is considered a bad word in their system and they bleeped it so I apologize for that!

Maggie: Gosh, I haven't even seen an air popper in stores in a long time. We buy the lowfat popcorn you pop in the microwave so we haven't had one in years I imagine. We buy a kettle corn mix, which Jack likes and has a touch of sweetness to it. I don't really eat popcorn because the kernals get trapped down in the skin of my throat and seem to always stick and then cause a sore throat until they dislodge so I usually pass it up. We never kenneled Butterscotch either. Cecil is more social it seems that a lot of kitties so he might miss the interaction of the dogs, but B didn't seem to mind being alone too much. We would make sure he could get up in the window and watch the birds all the time. He loved that.

Jean: They have sunglasses here year round. We bought a pair of those new ones advertised on tv and really like them, though the screw fell out of my ear piece and I haven't fixed it yet. I bought an expensive pair at the optometrists and find they aren't any better than cheap ones, frankly. Well, I sent back the needles to the knitting place I always buy stuff so we shall see if they send me a new pair. I am having good success with the double points, just have to be careful about the end stitches sliding off as my nickel double points are shorter than my bamboo ones, but I find the nickel slides for me so nicely. In fact, it hurts my hands less to knit with the dpns than with the 16 inch circular needle.

I guess I should go. I need to put laundry in the dryer, unload the dishwasher and reload it. Jack broke the faucet hot water handle in the kitchen this morning so we will be buying a new set sooner than we expected. We are just going to go ahead and get what we wanted to put in there when we remodel the kitchen and then take it off when we replace the sink I guess and put it back on. I swear this place bit by bit is falling apart! Have a good Monday everyone and stay OP this week. Faye