Old 11-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #31  

I finished my hat and sat down here to post the pic to my knitting website so thought I would peek in and see what you all did today.

Sloppy Joes:

1 lb lean ground beef, I used sirloin
1/4 c chopped onions
1/4 c finely chopped bell pepper (optional, I like it Jack doesn't)
3/4 c ketchup
1 tsp yellow mustard
3 tsp brown sugar ( you can use the splenda type for this no problem)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 c serving size (doesn't sound like much, but it is actually a good amount on a regular hamburger bun.)
Brown ground beef and onions together, add garlic powder and stir well then add rest of the ingredients, mix until well incorporated, turn heat to simmer and simmer half a hour. I am still on old pts so you will have to run it through your pts

So like I told my knitting friends, when life hands you lemons, make lemonade, my red and white hat was my lemons and this hat is my lemonade! I tried to get the hat dark enough so you could see the pattern, but white just does not photograph well. It is called Angel Wings Beanie because the pattern looks like little wings

I will talk to you all tomorrow morning. I am going to knit on my lace sweater for a bit then head to bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angelwings.jpg (46.1 KB, 8 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #32  

Talking

It's been a busy day and bed is looking better by the minute! Someone brought up the subject of radon at lunch today; both of our parsonages have it and one of the retirees who lives a few blocks from me has it. We've talked about getting tested and just never have. The very talented teacher who had pancreatic cancer died yesterday, after 3 years in an experimental program down in Texas. Her funeral and visitation is the same time as Amanda's grandfather's. Her funeral will be a HUGE one so am thinking we will go to the visitation. We knew the grandpa so feel we should go to that funeral.

I went to bell practice and if we can pull this one together on Sunday it will truly be a miracle! If you are musically inclined, part of us are playing triplet notes while the rest play eighth notes, some measures are 4 beats, some are 5, and a few are 6. I don't think we've had every one at every practice yet.

Susan -- The FitBit sounds like a really good program! It's too bad that just anyone couldn't use it. I wish I could give you polyfil since I have LOTS! I would forget to take mine on vacation so I could work on my Christmas sock, so would just buy more. I need to make a grocery list and go tomorrow.

Maggie -- I'm glad your glass order came. The candle holder idea sounds like it will really be attractive. I was more organized when the kids were home, that's for sure. Things have accumulated and spread out. Little by little I am trying to get rid of the excess. I don't want the kids to have to wade through this stuff if something would happen to me.

"Gma" -- Thanks for sharing your recipe -- sounds delicious! The hat is beautiful! Too bad Maggie couldn't have your other one for Cecil to curl up in.

I am heading off to bed and read for a bit before the news comes on. See you all tomorrow!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #33  

Good morning to you ladies. Just a quick post since Jack is up and showering and will be down in just a few and he plays solitaire while he eats his cereal so I make sure I am off the computer!

I actually whipped that hat out in a few hours yesterday. I did have to tear it back once, but part of that was because I have a big head and knew the size would be too small if I didn't increase it and ended up with miscounting the number I needed for the pattern, but other than that once I had the pattern memorized it was clear sailing from there. I listened to a Harry Potter work and sailed right through and even cleaned the downstairs in between!

Jean: Wow, good luck with the bells. I don't know how it is going to sound as complicated as the piece sounds without everyone being at practice. Oh, I am so sorry about the teacher and Amanda's grandfather. You sure seem to be attending a lot of funerals lately again. I am working on cleaning out the house and when we start the remodeling will have it sort of a blank canvas to work on. We are going to go ahead and tile the whole downstairs as it will be easiest, transform the dining room into a huge pantry, take the small guest bedroom and make a huge walk in closet out of it upstairs and then buy new furniture for the living room, one of which is a sofabed so if the kids stay they have a place to sleep since we are getting rid of the bedroom. Lots of time, but it will be worth it and I am tired of dealing with all this.

You all have a great rest of the week. Today is Jack's last day at work and I think we are going to go on a "date" tomorrow and see the new Adam Sandler movie that looks pretty funny where he plays two characters one of which is his twin sister. Faye
Old 11-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #34  

PLEASE GO TO #51