Old 05-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #16  
Thin Within

Talking Humpday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Rained last night and this morning and just quit so everything is fresh again. The ants found our strawberry patch so we are doing war with them now. We don't grow things for the critters to enjoy them ~ they have plenty other stuff to get into. Too bad ole Ragg Mopp can't just chase them off like he does the bunnies that come into the yard. Will is going around spackeling spots in the walls ~ gonna paint the whole inside and yank the carpet up out my office/shop and replace it with that wood like flooring that you can't hurt. I am excited about getting new floring mainly for my glass works. I am sure little shards of glass have worked their way down into this carpet around my cutting station. That is just the way of it, can't be helped. We got the new window coverings up in the bedroom yesterday and they sure do look good. When we get the headboard in there it will tie it all together nicely. Then we will shop for a new dresser.

JEAN I am glad you had such a nice fun filled day with your school chums. Isn't it nice to be appreciated. Your little coffee pot sounds like a keeper. Nope no stale water allowed. Is there a way you can dump it instead of having to put it in the firdge though?

DONNA FAYE I am so very happy for you for the swelling going down finally. That must be a good feeling for sure. Yep, it isn't easy to de carb but necessary and the way it should be. I only have 5 more days to get through and ya know, this isn't the hardest thing I have ever had to do so I know I can get through this. And girlfriend, if I can do it you can for I am the worlds worst at it. I sure miss my fruit though. But I think the first thing I will actually bake is going to be a loaf of whole wheat bread.

SUSAN Hope your day is going well. I know you will enjoy your farmers market when it opens. We are going to check out the one here when it does for I am sure it will have some items that we aren't growing. Our sredder makes little squares of the paper. Lots of little squares that are not easy to put back into pages. Everybody needs a shredder. I remember when my boss shredded something by mistake and wanted it pasted back together. Since it was back when shredders did it in long strips I said I would put it back if it was the only thing in the shredder basket. It was and I did it.

Type at y'all later

Last edited by Maggie; 05-19-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #17  

Good afternoon, ladies! Cloudy and cool today.

What a morning it has been. I had my drug trial test this morning. It was raining when I left the house at 7:30 am so I called Glory on the way over to be sure she was going to take the Mustang in. Then my blood pressure was 93/57 and the doctor had a fit. I tried to tell them that wasn't unusual for me for it to be low from time to time but since it hadn't been at their office before, they were concerned. 3 EKGs later they decided I really was okay. Meantime, Glory called me and said the brakes had gone out on the Mustang at one of our very busy intersections. Fortunately, she was able to get into a parking lot and got it stoped just as it grazed the building. Poor Mustang has a bent fender and needs some new parts. She called AAA to take her the rest of the way and I picked her up. We went to Dinner Bell for an early lunch. Today was pot roast, mashed potatoes, and green beans. It was so good. We know the owner and she gave us a huge piece of her "Good" chocolate cake to share. It got the name good cake because she made the first one in yellow cake and people kept asking when she was going to make that "good" cake again and the name stuck. For the chocolate cake, she makes a regular cake, pokes holes in it and then pours on a special sauce she cooks. Then she puts on (don't laugh) SF carmel ice cream topping followed by chocolate genauche. The yellow one has the basic sauce, pineapple topping, white genauche and coconut. Unfortunately, not WW friendly but greatly enjoyed.

Tonight is our bee at the library. I'm just a social butterfly!

Faye, I'll bet you've lost pounds along with the swelling. I'm glad you are getting your medication worked out. Tell Jack he needs those muscles to be strong to keep that knee working. You know, he'll have to have the other knee done of one leg will be twice the size of the other!

Jean, that sounds like a lovely coffee pot. I just have a Mr. Coffee which I haven't used in forever since I can't drink more than one cup of decaf, I drink lots of tea, however. I have Irish Breakfast or British Blend for breakfast, then switch to one of my others for the rest of the day - Earl Grey, Scottish. Lady Grey, Spiced Chai are my favorites. For iced tea, I swear by the house wine of the south - Luizanne which is made for iced tea and never gets cloudy in the fridge. I have a collection of tea pots, as well, about 20. I had a Senso one-cup coffee maker but I didn't like it. You could only use their coffee pods which were expensive and I didn't like the blends they had. I have an electric tea kettle that heats up very fast.

Have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #18  

Good morning! We had a couple downpours overnight but it seems like it has moved through now. I am trying to get laundry done this morning and get the upstairs bathroom cleaned. Jack will be home around noon to go to his therapy session so I want to try and get it all done before then. On top of that, I have Jackson's second sock almost complete so want to finish it and put a pair of socks for my dr on needles. I have an appt with her on the 24th
and that will be the last time I see her so wanted to give her something and thought socks would be nice considering she is eventually moving to Alaska!

Ok, genius that I am I get a gift certificate for Mother's Day from t and k to knitpicks, my favorite online store. I want to get a ball winder so am all excited when K tells me her friend uses the one that is $20 so I order it along with scads of beautiful yarn. Welllllll, little did I know that I need what is called a swift to put the hank on to keep it in place (trust me a chair just does not do the job) and the dang things are outrageous, $45 and up! They look like the inside of an umbrella basically so why are the dumb things so expensive? I have even looked on Ebay and they are about the same price. Guess my bright idea was sort of a dim bulb kind of thing! Maybe Jack would like one for Father's Day? lol

Susan: OMGosh glad Glory didn't get hurt. I have had the no brakes experience a couple times years and years ago. My brakes went out in an old postal truck we bought from a friend and I hit a fence! lol That was in San Diego so I am glad it wasn't a freeway accident. Hope your research participation really makes a difference for you. I have decided to sit down and spend the time making written meals that fit into what I want to do then use them. I guess I just need to be told exactly what to eat and just eat that and nothing else. Maybe in this way I can get the weight off.

Maggie: Our little animal friends sure do love to feast on our hard work! I watched a true program one time where the cops in CSI took a shredder full of paper and put back together evidence. It took awhile! lol

Jean: Are you a DWTS fan? I have watched it a few times, but sometimes they get the weirdest choices for celebrities that you know are going to fail right away.

I guess I better get a move on and get things done this morning. Have a good day today. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 05-20-2010 at 10:18 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #19  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a cloudy day here, and cooler, and windy, and rain is supposed to happen sometime. I have to run to the bank and get graduation money for Bob's graduates. Some of the small towns had their's last weekend, but I do all the cards at once and mail them in time for the graduation here.

Maggie -- I never thought about ants eating strawberries! I hope you can get rid of them. There is always one plus cup of water in the enclosed part of the coffee maker. It won't pump out unless the water tank has a certain amount of water in it which pumps into the heater as coffee is being made. I run a cup of plain (stale) water first thing before I make coffee. I could pour the water in the tank out, but since I have room in the fridge just keep it in there; water is expensive here! Our monthly water bill runs about $47 a month (no garbage collection) -- actually it is the sewage rate that is high thanks to 2 packing plants who get a "break."

Susan -- I'm so sorry about Glory's Mustang but so glad she wasn't hurt. I'm sure she could - probably did - shed tears. I haven't tried the tea pods that came with the coffee maker but I will. I used to have a tea kettle but it started to leak and I just never replaced it. I boil water in the microwave now. I did try using my own coffee this morning; mine was dark in color but had no taste so I had Bob make the smaller cup and it only filled about 2/3 full compared to mine. He thought it tasted ok though.

"Gma" -- I've never heard of a "swift" other than used to describe what someone did or didn't do. I do think Jack would appreciate one for Father's Day! I do enjoy DWTS this time because I knew some of the stars. I have watched one or two previous shows and didn't know as many. I guess since Beth took dance for so many years I just enjoy the costumes and seeing how much the stars improve. I think this one should be a 3 way tie because they are all so good. I used to watch Survivor but got burned out on that one after the first couple of shows.

I need to make my errand list so I don't forget anything. Have a great day -- the choice is yours!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #20  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

What a dreary looking day it is here in the Heartland. Rained last night and drizzley today. I am actually not hungry yet this day and so I have had a cup of broth. In awhile I think I'll eat a boiled egg. I found I still had 3/4th of a cabbage head and so I cut the 1/4th off and am using the half to make a pot of Peal a Pound Soup. Half the recipe fills a good sized pot and the full recipe fills my big crock pot. I am cooking this batch on the stove top. I have sent the recipe to all y'all didn't I? It is one recipe that sure helps me keep on track. It is so handy to have a serving size in the freezer.

SUSUSAN OH MY that cake sure sounds good. What fun you have with your friends.

JEAN Yep, the plants always get breaks and the cost gets passed on to the community. I have an electric water pot that actually boils water quicker than a microwave will. I keep it handy out on the counter with the coffee pots.

DONNA FAYE Rain here also. I am sure your favorite doc will love to have sox you make for her and will surely need them in Alaska. I think maybe the rain brings out the ants to scavage for food and they found the strawberry patch which is probably right over their nest.

Gonna go check on my soup. Sure smells good ~ I use lots of spices. Type at y'all later. :wve:

Last edited by Maggie; 05-20-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote