Old 06-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #46  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Smile

Hmm....looks like another lonesome weekend. Where does everybody go?

I was good yesterday with eating and I've also decided to declare another challenge, one I've done before and now want to do to eventually facilitate a break from caffeine. I drink too much coffee and use it as a pick-me-up. It's messing me up though and I'm thinking my skin problems may be due to this too. Ever since I went back to fulltime work I've had the skin problem and I read that increased cortisol levels in the body can be a big factor in all sorts of problems. Well, my cortisol levels must be skyhigh. Even working out can make them rocket. Anything that the body perceives as stress and hitting your adrenal glands many times during the day can't be good.

I once went largely off caffeine for a year and I felt great. When I started drinking it again, the hit it would give me was incredible. I felt I could lift cars single-handedly. But also, it made me angry. I was really hyped on adrenalin.

Cutting back is really hard, because I hate feeling like I'm sleep-walking, but that's how it feels. It's so hard to move. But, I find too that if I allow myself to push through that feeling, I suddenly get a second wind and wake up. It's hard, but I can do it. I've done it before.

Anyhow, I'm going to start by cutting way back. I'll allow myself my usual pot (yes, you read it right...and oh, that's "pot of coffee" ) in the morning and then only allow one serving of tea in the afternoon. Next challenge I will cut that out as well. I've already been doing it for two days now, so this is the start of Day 3.

The other challenge is OK too, though I must say I didn't think much about dieting etc. yesterday at all. Perhaps that's why my eating was OK.

So, here's where I stand.

Truth Challenge Day 3 completed
Reduce Caffeine Challenge Day 2 completed.

diyana, and you thought you were long-winded.....

Last edited by redballoon; 06-20-2009 at 10:42 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:20 AM   #47  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Don't get lonesome Red, we'll be back tomorrow, bigger and brighter than ever. New challenge starts tomorrow. I'll be publishing it then.

Have a good night.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #48  

Okay - so we're back, tired and meaner than ever.

Here's my challenges for the next 21 days.

No snacking - 3 pauses
Portion control - 3 pauses
1300 calorie limit - 3 pauses (I'm off to buy a calorie book at lunch time)
Water - 1 litre per day - 3 pauses
Exercise - Apart from walking to work every day - ummmm, don't think I can do this on here. I need to have rest days. Have to think about this one again.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #49  
Never give up

Angry a new one...

Well, it's Monday and I intended to go to the gym but was so tired I couldn't move. I can't sleep well at all and toss and turn all night, then can finally sleep in the morning. I figure that it's better to get rest than further disrupt whatever is disrupted in my body. I've been reading about adrenal fatigue and guess I have it. I did before and know the signs but this time it's bad. No wonder, with all the stress I had at work. They say severe damage to the adrenal glands takes two years to heal! Damn.
Well, challengewise, I can't say I was good on the Truth Challenge, but I see that unless I'm trying to do other challenges, like not eat sugar, drink alcohol etc, then there seems to be no real reason to talk to myself and try to counter the subconscious drivel. Still, I did a bit and wasn't down on myself, just pigging. Sigh.
So, I'll call it clear. I was good with the caffeine too, though I know this is part of my depression and fatigue. It's amazing how a burst of adrenalin raises your mood as well. It's all so connected, mental and physical health. I'm so tired of it all.

Truth Challenge Day 4 completed
Reduce Caffeine Challenge Day 3 completed

I'm starting another challenge again, incorporating the usual. I'm sick of drinking and smoking and pigging on sugar (I just can't stop at a little sugar. I have tried over and over). I was out late on Saturday at a gig. I had to go but I didn't have to drink so much or smoke. And I'm tired of losing days. Also, the alcohol has residual effects other than weight loss and I really am sick of it. So, I am going to roll these three elements (alcohol, sugar, nicotine) into one mega-challenge. These three are nothing but drains on my energy. They sap my energy, my drive and my sense of well-being. Sure, they give temporary boosts but in the long run, they just sap me. Here goes.

Sap Busters Day 0 completed

Oh, yeah, and I've changed my SCG to pounds to make it easier for people to understand where I'm coming from.

Hi there, Shad. "Tired and mean," eh? Ouch. Glad to see you back. Tough challenges. How can you survive on 1,300 calories?! Isn't that way too low? Well, you would know I guess. Best of luck!

Last edited by redballoon; 06-21-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #50  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone -

Sorry I went away for the weekend. We had the most gorgeous summer weather, and I did not want to be on the 'puter. By the time the sun went down, I was tired after fun, busy days...so again, I had to resist the call of the 'puter.

Here are my results:

Friday:

Here are my results for yesterday:

Day 16 - 3 servings of veggies daily - Done 3 pauses taken
Day 16 - 60 ounces of water daily - done 2 pauses taken
Day 16 - Physical Therapy exercises daily - done 1 pause taken

Day 2 - Journal AND stay within calorie/point range - done No pauses taken

Saturday:

Day 17 - 3 servings of veggies daily - Done 3 pauses taken
Day 17 - 60 ounces of water daily - done 2 pauses taken
Day 17 - Physical Therapy exercises daily - done 1 pause taken

Day 3 - Journal AND stay within calorie/point range - done No pauses taken

Sunday:

Day 18 - 3 servings of veggies daily - Done 3 pauses taken
Day 18 - 60 ounces of water daily - done 2 pauses taken
Day 18 - Physical Therapy exercises daily - done 1 pause taken

Day 4 - Journal AND stay within calorie/point range - done No pauses taken

On the weekends, it is ESPECIALLY difficult for me to get all my water and veggies in. Sheesh. I really struggle with staying OP on the weekends.

I'll check back in to reply to others.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #51  
Creating a Healthier Me

Red - So proud of you for having a good talking to with "Sub". Sounds like you really gave it a piece of your mind (pardon the pun). Seriously, when we can counteract negative self-talk with logical truths that reflect a positive, confident attitude, we can succeed. You're doing great on your truth challenge! Good luck with cutting back on the caffeine - you're doing great so far. I had to kick it for awhile because I thought it was contributing to migraines. Now that I don't have migraines hardly ever, I'm back on the caffeine, but not too much. I have a cup of coffee in the morning and drink water the rest of the day...but without that morning cup o' java, I'm sleepwalking. On the weekends, I do indulge in a couple diet sodas, which also have caffeine. And you're adding a sap challenge?! Sheesh! You rock, my friend! All of those three are difficult to kick in and of themselves...and you're doing all three! You can do this! You know you can and we know you can!

Shad - I hope this week in Sydney goes much better than ones past. Those are some impressive challenges! Will 1300 calories be enough for you? I went on FitDay.com (which is where I journal food and activity for now), and learned that my calorie needs were much higher than I thought. FitDay (as do some other websites) have calculators where they take into account your height, weight, age and activity level to calculate the calories necessary to maintain. Then on FitDay, you enter in a weight loss goal and how long you want it to take, and it calculates the calorie reduction/burning necessary. Just make sure you eat enough calories, so your body doesn't go into starvation/hoarding mode. You know your body best.

Well, I'd really better get to work. Here's to a great day for all of us!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #52  
Keep Chuggin'

S/C/G: 166/150/120

Height: 5'1"

Hi All,

Red - like that you changed to pounds. We are exactly the same height and more or less the same weight I actually GREW half an inch this year - whaddya think of that?? LOL Like the name of your new challenge "Sap Busters"

michelle - You are REALLY close to completing your 21!! WOWZERS! Good for you, Gal! I was actually at the dr. today to get a referral for a blood test - which results came in already. back up on the diabetes pole, it looks. And my thyroid is high too, ugh, but my cholestorol is actually withing normal range so i guess that counts for something. As for the headaches, the dr. wants me to go see a neurologist - something I don't really want to do. i've been to a neuro in the past for problems with my leg, and while in the MRI machine I asked it they could look at me head, but they wouldn;t..oh well.

Shad - good luck on your challenges! They seem compatible with your "mean' attitude, hehehe

I'm still challenge-less. No, that's not true. waking up in the morning and facing life yet again is a challenge for me. <this is not meant to be humorous>
miriam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #53  

No snacking - 3 pauses - Day 1 done
Portion control - 3 pauses - Day 1 done
1300 calorie limit - 3 pauses (I'm off to buy a calorie book at lunch time) Will start this today since it took all day to get a calorie book.
Water - 1 litre per day - 3 pauses - Day 1 done.

Umm and yes 1300 - 1500 is plenty for my age group apparently. We don't need to eat so much and I'm not exactly overactive right now. Hence the need to cut back.

Last edited by Shad; 06-22-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #54  
Never give up

Cool

I'm going to restart the Truth Challenge because I can't say if I really did it or not. I'm going to have to write something down and carry that paper around with me and reread it many times throughout the day. Unless I do that, I can't really say if I've given myself a good talking to or not.
So, I'll get that written today and start today.
Also, the Sap Busters did not get off the ground yesterday. Don't say anything. I tried and then blew it. I was SO tired I couldn't move and I finally reached for the sugar. I really just want to lie down but can't at work. There is no where to go. Anyhow, just a month left there....

Caffeine was good. That's why I was so tired. I didn't reach for the boost. It's become such a habit. I did allow myself the tea, which doesn't seem to help much. For this round, I'm allowing tea in the afternoon. Not that much, maybe a small pot tops.

Caffeine Cut Day 4 completed
Truth Talk Day 0 completed
Sap Busters Day 0 completed

Sorry, people, no time to talk now. Will try to get back in later!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #55  
Creating a Healthier Me

Day 19 - 3 servings of veggies daily - Done 3 pauses taken
Day 19 - 60 ounces of water daily - done 2 pauses taken
Day 19 - Physical Therapy exercises daily - done 1 pause taken

Day 5 - Journal AND stay within calorie/point range - done No pauses taken

Miriam - I was diagnosed with borderline diabetes last year. The dr. didn't want to put me on meds...just diet and exercise, so I spent last year losing 40 lbs, which got my blood sugar back in the normal range, then due to 4 months of bronchitis/pneumonia in the fall, and a flare up of a back injury, I put the 40 lbs back on. Blood sugar is still doing okay though. I used to see a neurologist for my migraines. It helped me a lot, but it took some time to get the prevention meds at the right dose. Then a couple years ago, I stopped taking the migraine prevention meds (under dr guidance) and still didn't get migraines, except maybe 1 a month at the most (around TOM).

Shad - Good for you for sticking to your challenges!

Red - It's difficult to get through the day without caffeine and sugar, but you can do this, Red!
Old 06-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #56  
Keep Chuggin'

S/C/G: 166/150/120

Height: 5'1"

Hi All,

Actually left work early because of the migraine (I don't EVER leave work early...) I did okay so far with the eating today, I'm going to add a challenge - eat al least 1 piece of fruit every day. This is VERY challenging to me as I am a real veggie girl, and don't particularly care for fruit, but I think my body needs the fiber. how much fiber can you get already being celiac? haha

Red - sorry 2 of your challenges haven't had liftoff yet, but you're always one for getting back on the horse! <hehe that was actually funny> So pull up those socks and you can do it! IMHO, planning ahead is TOTALLY essential for beating the sugar cravings. For me, at least. and WTG for the reduction of caffiene! You're getting "cleaned up" from some many "drugs"!!!

Shad - WTG for day 1! Did you buy your calorie book? If so, any brilliant ideas for breakfast? LOL

Michelle - lucky for you that your migraines and sugar are under control. I can't wait to say the same about me!!
miriam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #57  

No snacking - 3 pauses - Day 2 done
Portion control - 3 pauses - Day 2 done
1300 calorie limit - 3 pauses Day 1 done 1322 cals
Water - 1 litre per day - 3 pauses - Day 2 done.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #58  
Never give up

Wink

Caffeine Cut Day 5 completed
Truth Talk Day 0 completed
Sap Busters Day 1 completed

No time! Late again.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #59  
Creating a Healthier Me

Hi everyone -

Miriam - I hope your get some relief from your headaches soon. I know how awful they can be.

Shad - Congrats on doing so well on the challenges. I hope this week is going better for you in general.

Red - Congrats on the caffeine reduction and the SAP busting! YGG!

Day 20 - 3 servings of veggies daily - Done 3 pauses taken
Day 20 - 60 ounces of water daily - done 2 pauses taken
Day 20 - Physical Therapy exercises daily - done 1 pause taken

I would say that I'm almost making the above a habit. The veggies and the PT exercises aren't quite automatic yet. But the water sure is.

Day 6 - Journal AND stay within calorie/point range - done No pauses taken
Old 06-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #60  

No snacking - 3 pauses - Day 3 done
Portion control - 3 pauses - Day 3 done
1300 calorie limit - 3 pauses Day 2 done 1392 cals (only just)
Water - 1 litre per day - 3 pauses - Day 3 done.