Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hello Ladies,

Sorry I didn't get around to writing yesterday. I spent my time here reading all the messages I missed while gone and I was too tired to write. lol Y'all were busy while I was gone.

Pandora - You are some busy lady. One of the churches my Daddy was associate pastor always celebrated Passover. I got to go to only one. I am always interested how the Jews do the seder. Some are more particular than others. DD we just visited in FL is married to a Jew. We spent Sunday in his parents home and they were discussing their seder. I was disappointed that we planned our visit a week early. We would have been able to attend if we were there. DD ex-husband was Jewish as well and I found it interesting that were not as strict as this family as they are more orthodox than her new husband's. None of them use lamb in their seder. Do you?

Mindee - Brandon is doing so good... proud of his great progress report and I loved the pictures of him bowling. You be careful with those stairs. Hope you didn't hurt your wrist again.

Francie - Have fun at the Spring Fair. Hope your ankle feels better soon.

Ellen - Sure glad nothing was seriously wrong with your Mom. Hope she is well soon.

Sue - So glad to hear your Mom is doing fantastic. I hope she gets the okay to travel with her sister.

Tammy - Congratultions on the 1.4 lb loss. You'll do fine getting rid of the 8 lbs. Compliments when our weight loss shows are such a nice reward for our hard work.

Jane - I just heard about the earthquake. Tony still talks about the one he felt back when he lived in Terre Haute back in the mid to early sixties that was centered in St. Louis. I'm sorry to hear about Neal's leg and back problems. I hope the PT helps both.

Marti -This weather has been crazy this year hasn't it. Have nice evening with your DD. Any special plans?

Hello to All those I missed. Have a nice day!

Hugs,
Trish
Old 04-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #47  

Well the other post was getting long so I decided to start a new one about my trip and an update.

We flew to FL this time. The first time I've flown since I was 18 yrs old. I loved it. We got there in 1 1/2 hours instead of the 11 -12 hrs it takes to drive. I think next time we go to TX to see my family that we will fly if we can. With gas prices it will probably be cheaper.

We took a day when DSIL could get off from work and get his son and we went on the Jungle Queen that goes up the New River in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. All the homes on the river are very expensive. They range from $8 Mil up. They had one house that is for sale and they said it was $18 Mil unless you want the furnishings to go with it and it would sell for $21 Mil. We all laughed and wondered what kind of furnishings would cost $3 Mil. Then one night the 2 youngest DGC (ages 5 & 6) put on a Magic/Talent Show just for us. The 6 year old is DSILs son and the 5 yr old is our little DGD and they are always competing for attention so you can imagine how that was. It was fun to watch. DD did some drawings (Arts show) and sold her pictures for a quarter. DH bought one and she took it back and tried to sell it again. lol They were so cute and Tony captured it all on film for our family home movies. Had DGDs 10th year Bday party at DSIL parents home on Sunday. Here Bday is actually today, but they planned it so we could be there. Then flew back home Tuesday. We really enjoyed it.

Well we went to DH doctor yesterday to see how he is doing. PSA test had a slight increase so he decided to just go ahead and have the surgery. We are going to be in the process of getting things together for that. We are trying to set it up as soon as it can be arranged and get that behind us so we can move on. He is on disability with a heart condition so he has to see a cardiologist Monday afternoon to get the go ahead on the surgery. We are hoping to get it done at least by the first part of May as most of the recovery time is about 6 weeks. Dr said not to plan any trips for 2 or 3 months. So I may be in and out here for a while depending on how soon all this takes place. I will be spending time playing nurse etc once he gets home. He should be in the hospital only 2 day or 3 at the most.

So that is the update of the trip and what is going on with me at this time. Through it all my plan is to continue eating healthy with the hopes of losing weight. I don't want to use this as another excuse to eat off.

Hugs,
Trish
Old 04-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #48  
starting over again......

S/C/G: 261.4/261.4/200

Height: 5'4"

all the kids are napping, so I got myself something to eat and drink, and here I am! Tommy has to work tomorrow until noon, so who knows what we are going to end up doing.

I did manage to get through all the boxes that I had brought up. Out of the 13 boxes that came up, two are empty and going into the garbage, three are going to my parents house for my sister's friend, and the other eight are going back down to our storage unit because they are too big for her right now!

My knee is doing good today. It is starting to bruise, but not too badly! Thank goodness for that! On top of it all, I went to pick up a box this morning, and bent the nail on my big toe back, so I had to clip the nail off, clean up some of the blood, and slapped a band aid on it!

I talked to B's bus driver this morning about taking cupcakes on the bus, and she said he could as long as she got one. I said that it was not a problem. She then said that they have to be in a covered container. She told me that she had one mom send in some cupcakes in an open box, she hit a bump and all the cupcakes flipped over!

Pandora~ Brandon didn't spend time in the NICU, but he did actually spend a few hours in the Special Care Nursery right after he was born. (Is that the same as a NICU?) He was getting distressed during labor, so they took him to the Special Care Nursery for some oxygen and to watch him for a little bit.

Marti~ That is actually all girls clothes from size 12 months all the way to some 3T to 6x! My older sister Beth has three daughters and a son. When her youngest daughter grew out of the clothes, she put them in a box hoping that we would have a girl. She told me that when we found out if we were having a boy or girl, that I only could call her if we were having a girl. (she was kidding, btw) So, I called her and told her, and the next time we got together we got the first "shipment" and they have been coming ever since. I told Tommy that as long as Marissa stays the same size as Hanna, then we won't have to buy her any clothes until she goes to college!

Francie~ How is your ankle feeling today? I hope the brace helps especially if you are going to be doing a lot of walking today!

Jane~ An earthquake!?!?!?! My goodness!

Ellen~ I hope your mom is feeling better soon! Our pediatrician told us that there is a virus that is going around right now that is really bad!

gotta run....my BIL and SIL just showed up
Old 04-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #49  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Hi ladies. Just finally got a chance to sit down for a minute. I went for groceries and to Wally World this morning. For some reason that wears me out any more. (could be my age, huh?) Once I get rested a bit I am going out to walk. Then out to dinner tonight.

Have helped DH in the yard with the pergola the last few days. Hard work, and I don't see how he does so much by himself. Both sides are in the ground/cement so he is cutting the cross pieces for the top. By Sun. I might be able to post a picture.

We did get in a walk yesterday....Love the nice weather. I have many plants coming up. With my black thumb I wasn't sure anything would come back.

Jane- Wow...did we ever feel the quake. I awoke to my pocket door rattling and couldn't figure out why. At first I thought thunder had wakened me. But when the bed started shaking I knew it was much more. Truthfully, my only thought afterward was to pray that it was not the BIG one in Calif. with reverberations all across the land. Really, a great fear of mine since our kids are in CA. Not to say that I don't worry for all people who might be affected. But as a mother I worry about my kids and grandkids . DH and I had just read an article and discussed it last week about the big quake expected in CA within the next 30 years. So, needless to say I was and am concerned. As far as I know there have been no damages reported around us.
Scary!

BBL...gotta go walk.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:11 PM   #50  
I work with germs!!

Height: 5'2"

Evening Ladies!!

What a busy day I've had. DH took the day off and we shopped till we dropped. Actually he started the day earlier than I did. He worked in the yard for several hrs this morning cutting down dead shrubs. Last year we planted $300 worth of arborvitaes only to have them die from the drought. Then we find that they needed more sun than they were getting so we are trying a different shrub that can handle part shade. (This time we asked the nursery what to plant ) We'll pick them up tomorrow and spend the day in the yard. After visiting the nursery, we went to BJ's (like a Sam's Club), had lunch, went to Lowes, then back home to unload, walk and feed the dogs, then back out for dinner and to Penney's. Needless to say, we had a very expensive day!!

My son just called me and said that he is up here visiting this weekend. He lives 4 hrs away. I guess we will spend some time with him tomorrow between yard work. He brings his two dogs with him when he visits so he stays with his fiance's parents. I can't handle having 4 dogs in the house!!

Jane & Sue--Wow....I heard about the earthquake. I'm happy to hear that you are all well and didn't have any damage.

I believe that I've stayed pretty much OP this week. Trying to get my water in is aways a challenge. I'm pretty pooped this evening so I guess I'll head up to bed and read awhile. Sleep tight ladies!!
Old 04-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Hi Ladies!

Shopping is all done for tomorrow (except for the meat which DH will pick up and of course he will make at least one trip for the things I forgot this year.)

Francie Passover is the Jewish holiday which celebrates the freeing of the Jewish people from slavery in Egypt. The tradition is that the story is told every year, although there is actually a lot of room for creativity. The holiday is eight days long, there are two ceremonial dinners (called seders) the first two nights, and then for the rest of the days we do not eat any leavened bread, and many of us who come from Eastern European backgrounds also don't eat corn, rice or other items that "pop". (The Jews left Egypt so fast that there wasn't time for the bread to rise...that is why we eat unleavened bread.) The belief is that the last supper was probably a Passover Seder. The meal consists of two parts, a ceremonial meal which includes bitter herbs (we use horseradish root) which are to remember the bitterness of slavery, apples/nuts/wine mixture which resembles mortar, matzoh (unleavened bread) the shankbone of a lamb which recalls the ancient tradition of sacrificing. We also drink four cups of wine during the dinner.

We tell the story, which at our house includes some singing and a lot of laughter, as well as an opportunity to reflect on the meaning and responsibility of freedom. Then we move into the main meal...I cook the chicken soup and matzoh balls, two entrees, potatoes, and a vegetable. Others bring salad, desserts, a potato casserole, a fruit dish etc. I have pretty much the same crowd every year, and while it is a lot of work, I really enjoy it.

Trish Lamb is the traditional meal and I used to make it. After throwing out lots of leftover lamb I gave up. (We like it but most of those coming don't, and it doesn't reheat well.

Jane & Sue I'm in the northeastern Chicago suburbs and we slept right through the quake! Glad to hear it was more scary than really damaging. I have family in California, and remember a small quake in Champaign many years ago, but I never think of the midwest as earthquake territory.

Marti DH is terrific, he calls himself my elf on these occasions. I'm actually pretty spoiled though. I have a cleaning lady who will be here tomorrow night with a friend, so that by the time she leaves most of the cleanup will be done. (It's still a lot of work, but having her here tomorrow night makes things tolerable, then Sunday we will go to a friends house who never lets me bring anything because of what I've done the night before.)

Mindee An NICU (Newborn Intensive Care Unit) is usually one step up from a special care nursery...of course it is the step no one wants to need! Was Brandon premature?

I've been managing my portions well...although today I missed lunch and wanted to overeat at dinner. Tomorrow the challenge will be not to eat a day's worth of food while cooking!

Pandora
Old 04-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #52  
starting over again......

S/C/G: 261.4/261.4/200

well, after dinner tommy and brandon went to clean some of the stairs in the complex. then we all went outside. the kids played while me and tommy did some plant pulling. tommy also put some new mulch in the area that he is going to put the BBQ grill. the office manager came over and we got the okay to put in some rose bushes. so I am going to look around and see what I can find. tommy says that he doesn't see a point in doing that since we won't be staying here that long. but it doesn't look like we are going to be moving any time soon! and not while brandon is in school!

then we came inside and gave brandon and logan a bath. they got to play with logan's t-ball set that he got for christmas. they had a blast! I was showing them how to do it and ended up knock over tommy's pop from dinner instead!

we are planning on going up north to see my parents on Saturday. tommy has to work until noon, and then we will go from there.

I am off to walmart.com to check out what flowers they might have listed on their page. if I don't find anything, then I am going to look around from some pictures of roses. I want to get some bluebird roses (lavender colored) but I want to see what others are out there!

Pandora~ Nope, he was not premature. He was actually born at 40 weeks & 3 days. We are taking him to have his hearing tested on his birthday. They did a hearing test at his school at the beginning of this month, and claimed that he was unable to screen because he didn't understand the task that they were asking him. but yet, when they said his name they claim that he said it was a whisper and then proceeded to turn his head in that direction. neither me nor my hubby were there when they tested him, and since it was the first time that he was tested for his hearing, we think he might have been a little bit nervous
Old 04-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #53  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Okay well..Me & Fonzo finally played the Wii tonight. It was sooooooo much fun. We basically just tried the games that it came with. I suck at golf & baseball..didnt try the boxing one (but Fonzo is pretty good at that). I totally RULED at tennis & bowling!! We played bowling 3 times and I won each time, lol. IRL, Fonzo is better at bowling..but in the VR world, I'm better. Plus..I'm still pretty darn good at tennis!!! Yay me!! Well..I've never actually played tennis before..but I used to be pretty good at badminton. We soooooooooooooooooooooooooo wanna get the Pirates game now. We're just dying to sword fight, lol. I'll be Elizabeth & Fonzo will be Captin Jack Sparrow!!! LoL!!! Oh ya..my arms are KILLING me!!!!! LoL!!! OHHH and theres like this fitness thing on there..I havent tried it yet, but it looks interesting. Anyways..I'm pretty tired..so I'm gonna go to bed now. Got lots of game playing to do tomorrow, lol.

btw: I normally make fun of Fonzo for being really into his games..but omg, I'm like hooked now!!! I want more games!! We're even gonna get that Cooking Mama game. I have it on DS and its a lot of fun. We get to battle each other w/the cooking contest or whatever, lol. Too fun!!
Old 04-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #54  
GmaTo8

Hello ladies,

Ellen - did DD2 like K roundup? They learn so much in K now, I can hardly believe it! My twin DGDs that are in K are reading. Not sight words, mind you, but by using phonetics! How is your mom today? I hope she's feeling better. Lung inflammation can be very painful.

Marti - did you get snow after all? The earthquake caused some homes and businesses to have cracked walls, and some stuff to fall off walls, but no real damage that I know of. The people in W Salem where the epicenter was probably have a lot of damage.

Trish - I bet Tony feels better just knowing a decision has been made for the surgery. It's smart of him to go ahead before the PSA numbers get too high. Aw, it sounds like you guys had a blast in Florida with the family. We drove once, the first time we went, and the other 8 times, we've flown. It's so much quicker, and I'm just not a good car rider. I remember the quake your DH is thinking of! It was 1968 - I was 14 and was setting my hair on orange juice cans, lol. I was going for the "Priscilla Presley" look, lol. But, yeah, it scared the bejeebers out of me, lol. On a side note - by 1970 my BFF and I were ironing each other's hair.

Sue - what's really odd is that Neal and I were talking about earthquakes the night before it happened. The kids came over for an impromptu cookout, since the weather was so nice, and we all sat around the front porch chitchatting and the subject came up somehow. I can sure understand why you worry about the kids in CA.

Tammy - the bad thing about arborvitaes is that the roots can be dead as a doornail before it shows on the branches! Not good if there's a warranty period. Hope you have fun with your son this weekend.

Pandora - thank you for explaining about the Passover feast. I've always been intrigued by it, when I see it on tv. I hope you've had a wonderful celebration.

Mindee - glad your knee is better. Did you find some flowers you like? Hope you had fun at the parents.

Francie - your Wiii sounds like a lot of fun. Good exercise, too!

Today I went to a wedding, (where I skipped the refreshments, btw). Other than doing some surfing on the web, I haven't done much else.

I've been eating Lean Cuisines to get back to reasonable portion contol, and I like not having to think about what to eat. Those of you that know me well know I almost always eat 2 graham crackers w/1 T peanut butter for breakfast, so that meal isn't a problem. Having the LCs for lunches and dinners doesn't leave much room for error.

Hope you're having a fun weekend!

Last edited by Jane; 04-19-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:07 PM   #55  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Jane- I have thought about doing the Lean Cuisines for a week or two, just to get on track. My BFF did it and lost 8 pounds with no problems. She ate the same thing over and over though, and I like variety. Does Lean Cuisine have pizza? Some brand of pizza I tried was really good, but I can't remember which. Wasn't it chilly today? Brrr.

Had a busy day and will have another busy one tomorrow. Cleaned house..the usual. We had to have a couple places in our ceiling touched up last week by the builder, nothing major, but after the first day he was here I cleaned up really well. Then he had to come back yesterday and finish up...so I had to clean again. (this is plaster dust...ick.) Then trying to get some warmer weather clothes ready to wear. Will be ironing tomorrow I guess.

Mon. Taking Mom to PT at the hospital. Tues. DH and I are going for another night away and won't be home all day Wed. either. So, I have to do most of my weekly "chores" ahead of time.

Maybe by Thurs. I can get out in the yard to rake up mulch and get ready for some planting.

Hi to you all and hope you have a good week-end. I have to go read. I am on the 5th book of Fern Michael's series about the Sisterhood. Very good and hard to put down.

Last edited by suetalks; 04-19-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:48 AM   #56  

Just checking in real quick. Y'all are going to think I'm nuts, but I have settled into WW Core program. I really didn't plan on it. It just happened. I always liked the Core concept and wanted to try it but could not do it before because I didn't know when I was satisfied. Since I've done IE and I Can Make You Thin, I don't have that problem any more. So I decided to look at the WW material and read it again and I also checked out the thread here on 3FC and I don't think I really understood how it all worked before. Any way, after reading the materials and some posts on 3FC, I suddenly realized "I Can Do This". I like having the guidance to eat 5 fruits and veggies, etc and I still can have some of the other things I like as long as I use my weekly points if I want to spend them.

Jane - I love Lean Cuisine and some of the WW dinners too. I did that one time when I was single before Tony and I married because it was so much easier since I was cooking for just one. You did a great job not eating at the wedding. It is such a great feeling to have these accomplishments to keep us going.

Mindee - I love the picture of Marissa. She is such a little doll makes you just won't to hug her.

Well, it is late so I'll close for now. Hope all of y'all have a great week end.

Hugs,
Trish
Old 04-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #57  

Height: 5'1"

Evening ladies..

I'm all ready to do my walking but thought I would check in before I did.

Jane--Yes we did get snow this morning. Just a light dusting of it but the ground was covered. Then it was washed away be the down pour and we also had a bit of sunshine and hail.....crazy weather!! I love hearing about your ironing of the hair and rolling it in cans!!

Pandora--Your hubby sounds sweet! I like how he calls himself your elf! Cute! Your celebration sounds like something I would like to experience! I hope you had a wonderful time. Did you get more help in preparation?

Trish--Your trips sounds fantastic! I would love to see those houses. I don't think I would ever want to live that rich even if I had the money, but it would be nice to see.

Mindee--Wow...you're all set for Marissa and her clothes! I would have loved to have had clothes handed down to my DD. I did get some, but not many. A lot were stained and I just couldn't put my baby in stained clothes!

Francie--The Wii is addicting isn't it? I'm glad you're having so much fun with it. I think we have way to many game consoles to even think about buying one. So going to my sisters and playing there works. You'll have to tell me about the fit game you were talking about. I seen advertisements for that....so when you get one.....tell all us all about it.

Tammy--Have fun w/your son this weekend. What a nice treat to have. Four hours doesn't seem that far when you say it...but it really does make it difficult to visit. My parents are an hour away and I hardly get a chance to see them. Hope you're enjoying the time.

Sue--I love books that are hard to put down. I've been reading the Outlander series, there are 6 in all (maybe more I don't know) and I'm on the 6th book. Kind of been going slowly with it since it's my final book! I'll have to check out the books your reading.

Ok...I'm hearing disturbing sounds outside and I'm home alone...don't like that. So I'm going to get off the computer and hit the treadmill to get my mind off of it.

Have a good night ladies!
Old 04-20-2008, 03:37 AM   #58  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Happy Sunday All

I'm about to head off in a bit. But I just wanted to say that we saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall tonight and it was hilarious!!! Mila Kunis (spl?) is a baby Angelina Jolie..lol. Love them both. But ya..I recommend that movie (although it does have a lot of sex and male nudity, lol)

Okay...Well I'm freezing in here right now. So I'm gonna go snuggle underneath the covers and watch the tele. It hailed all freakin day!! Wtf is up w/that?? I've never seen so much hail in my life. I swear..its like The Day After Tomorrow up in here, lol.

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 04-20-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #59  
GmaTo8

Good morning, ladies,

Sue - yep, LC and WW and Healthy Choice each have pizzas. I like the thin crust ones, and they aren't too bad. Wow, I wish Neal would take off and go as often as your DH. Where are you headed this time?

Trish - the gals at the WW board here at 3FC are all real sweet. Although I do Flex instead, I read the Core posts since I'm a moderator there. Lots of people go back and forth between Flex and Core. I think you made the right choice, and no, I don't think you're nuts at all. It takes a while to find just the right program, and even then statistics have proved that if we tweak it to suit our tastes, a person will be even more successful.

Marti - yikes, I hope the disturbing sounds outdoors wasn't anything too bad! Your weather is about as bad as Indiana weather, lol. I'm so ready for steady temps in the 70's and 80's. Before long, though, I'll be griping about the heat, lol.

Francie - I hope you got warmed up, lol.

I skipped church today and since it looks like rain, I am staying in. Seems like a good day to do some scrapbooking.

What's on your agenda for the day?

Last edited by Jane; 04-20-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #60  
I work with germs!!

Height: 5'2"

Woohoo, lost another lb today at WW. This week will be a challenge though. We have a big staff meeting on Tues and everyone brings something for lunch and then on Thurs we are celebrating Secretary's Day. There will be too much sweets, junk food and high calorie food. Hope to fill up on veggies. DH just walked in a door from golfing so I gotta fix some lunch for both of us and see what he wants to do today. Have a wonderful Sunday ladies!
Closed Thread