Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 08:35 PM   #16  
Bustin' Buddy

Hey Friends!

Well, back to work today. I really don’t like Mondays at all – it’s my worst day! The kids were actually pretty good today overall. There’s always those few that try to ruin it for the rest but I squashed them like bugs early on in the day!

As for my weight – I was down to 286.5 which is a 2 ½ pound loss for the week. Hopefully this week will be better. All I know is that I was STARVING tonight. I ate well today but it didn’t feel like enough…know what I mean?

I’m gonna try to keep this short because I’ve got some school work to do and I want to watch the Spike Lee movie about the devastation from Hurricane Katrina on HBO. It’s a 2 night special. I’m anxious to see how one sided it is. Word is that he only profiled the poor African American population that suffered – no whites. I’m not a racist but I can’t stand how he can make a movie like that and exclude the thousands of whites that suffered and lost just as much and it not be reprimanded. If someone would make a movie about only the whites the NAACP would be right on top of that saying that it was racist. That peeves me! So, we’ll see how it plays out.

MONET: I LOVE Chinese food! I’m going to wait a while before I give in to that temptation though….but oh the thought of it makes me smile!

TECH: Best of luck with the job. I’m sure hubby will do just fine as Mr. Mom and he will certainly appreciate you more after he’s done it a few days!!

THIN: WTG on a good MMM!! Fired up – keep up the great work!

SOLLY: Congrats to you too for your good MMM! I love Pampered Chef. I actually just got a new book from my friend that sells it – love some of the new things. I have so many things from PC – almost every stone, etc. I also love Southern Living at Home! I have tons of that too! I hope you have a good turn out so that you can get some free stuff!

TONI: You will have a better week this week – I can feel it! I’ve been drinking tons of water too but sometimes I add that sugar free crystal light stuff to my water just to give me some flavor. They have those individual packs that you pour into your bottles and they are very handy and tasty. Right now I’m doing the fruit punch. It’s really good!

Well, gotta run! Tomorrow I have a meeting from 5:00-7:00 and I don’t know if I’ll make it to the board so if I don’t I’ll see y’all Wednesday.

Much Love!
Missy

Old 08-21-2006, 09:58 PM   #17  
Little Engine That Could

Hi everyone,
MMM has me down 1 pound.

The party went awesomely. We had 28 people here; the music man was great and my friend who I hired to be my "wife" made everything so smooth for me. I had fun at my own party. In fact I didn't even have enough time to get to visit with everyone like I wanted. Food was good and I didn't eat too much. Had a slip on Friday when my cleaning lady just about drove me nuts with her attitude. A cleaning lady is supposed to make my life easier, not harder. Hmmmm.

Gotta go. I have a ton of cleaning up to do on my computer. Mailboxes to empty, files to organized. I've been neglecting this for a month.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:34 PM   #18  

Just a quick fly by...Rachel does not have strep. It is a flare up of her asthma and fluid in her ears. So she goes back on the advair and also got a steroid shot. She seems to feel some better already.

I was planning to walk tonight, but I stayed at band practice just to watch for a "liitle while". I got sucked in and ended up staying for the whole practice. They are so awesome!
Old 08-21-2006, 11:32 PM   #19  

Hi everyone:

Don't have time to post, but wanted to say hello. I weighed 122.5# this morning, but I've been working out pretty consistently again, but have to work on my diet a bit yet.

I'll be gone all day tomorrow, and Wednesday won't be much better. I should be able to post more on Thursday.

By the way, Monet....I have scoured Costco and can't find the Lara Bars; where do you find them there? I've checked by the cereal stuff and the power bars/candy, etc.... There is a local store here that has them on sale right now 10/$10.00 (so $1.00 each)....I should stock up on them.

I'll post later.

Have a great evening!!

HEART: I hear ya on the peanut M&M's; that is my one definate downfall....I can't eat a few...I eat the whole bag!

Nat
Old 08-22-2006, 08:01 AM   #20  

Good morning! I slept fairly well last night. I intended to get up earlier than this, but I definitely needed the sleep. I am about to suit up and head out for a walk. I will post more when I get back!

PANCHO: The larabars are in the front with the candy, cookies and nuts at my Costco. If yours doesn't have them, I would ask them to stock them. If I could find a store with them 10/$10, I would get them there. The box at Costco only has three flavors in it..cherry, apple and chocolate. There are so many other flavors I would like to try! Give those precious girls of yours a hug from 'Auntie Monet'.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:47 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good morning Ladies,

Boy I could have used a couple more hours of sleep today. I am exhausted. I have a feeling my RA is flaring and maybe that is causing me to be tired. I did get up at 5:30 to get some "tread: time since I won't be going to the gym tonight or last night. I got a mile in last night. Better than nothing.

2 Questions, Can someone post the nutrition info on the Larabars.
Does any one take Fosamax for their bones? My gyno wants me to start taking it. I have to check with my oncologist first, but wanted some feed back.

Toni, sorry you saw a gain on the scale. You have been doing so great I wouldn't worry about it. Could be hormones, etc. Do you like ice tea or water flavored with crystal light?

Heart, Have you tried journaling. There is something about having to write down what you eat that really makes you think about it. Try writing everything down plus set a calorie limit and subtract off of that as you eat. Even write down the binges, M&M's etc. It might help. Just a suggestion.

Tech, if your boat is something you enjoy, then you should keep it if you can. We used to have one and then the kids tarted playign sports and we never got to go anymore so we sold it. Now we wish we still had it. I keep telling my DH that we need to trade places just for one day. He does what I normally do in a day (after work) and I do what he does. What an eye opener that would be. But I think I will be exhausted from using the remote in the recliner. :wink:

Monet, how long do those pens last? Do they put expiration dates on them? Glad it is doing better for you and I know next week you will see a loss.

Fruit, 2 1/2 lbs is great. I get such a laugh from your posts about the kids, squashing them like bugs. I bet you are all bark and are probably huggingon them all day long.

Gator, Wow a great party and still saw a 1 lb loss. That is awesome. Glad everything went so well. Now time to get ready for some football.

Thin, so glad Rachel doesn't have strep (I just realized I called her by Tech's DD name in yesterday's post, sorry, chemo brain). Allergies seem to get really bad this time of year. Every Sept 1st, both my DD's allergies act up.

Nat, I thought you might have more time with the girls in school, but I guess we always seem to find something to fill it. Drop in when you can.

Got to get busy here or find some way to sneak in a nap
Old 08-22-2006, 08:57 AM   #22  

I am back from my walk, and am heading down for breakfast in a minute...I wanted to log in my exercise first! (ain't I dedicated!?? )

SOLLY: The pens have a few months before they expire, but the contents has to be kept at a constant low temperature, or it can lose its effectiveness. The company that makes the drug says it can be left out for 144 hours before it loses potency, but if the pharmaceutical warehouses know that, they might be leaving them out too long, then when the consumer gets them, it may have been out too long. It is amazing to me how far they have come with this kind of med though! No syringes, and long needles...just a fat pen that you can turn a dial to set up the dose, then you add a disposable needle tip, and its ready! I understand they package insulin like this now too. I sure hope you are not going into a flare!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:02 AM   #23  

SOLLY: Oh, and the Larabars...go here: www.larabar.com They have all the info on them on there, its just in a format that I can't copy and paste. They are made with no more than six ingredients, all dried fruits, and nuts, and flavoring like cocoa. They are all natural and the sugars come from fruit. They are considered vegan, contain no soy, and are ok even for raw foodists. There are no preservatives either. Just 100% natural, and very good! One bar is usually about 180 calories. I hope that helps!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #24  
Little Engine That Could

Solly--I have used Fosamax for several years but am now taking Boniva. I had some success on my bone density scans with the Fosamax but noticed a slight problem with heartburn about every 4-5 months. That is a side effect of Fosamax and you have to be very careful when you take it. They recommend taking it with a full (8 oz.) glass of plain water at least 30 minutes before taking anything else. So every Friday I did my Fosamax thing. I took it with 24 oz. of water, because the idea is to wash that pill through the stomach and into the top part of the intestine. My DS had to stop the Fosamax because she got damage in her esophogus from it. She is a pharmacist and knows all about those pills. I prefer the Boniva for the convenience--only once a month, but I have to wait an HOUR before eating. I have not had a bone density scan yet since I've started on it. Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:26 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Hey, guys. I know I shouldn't have hopped on the scale but I did anyway and am up 2 #'s from yesterday! What the heck gives. I was EXCELLENT yesterday with my food intake, water, and my exercise. Yes, I know it is fluid because there isn't any other explanation for it. Shoulda stayed off that MM. I've been up since 5 am, did my Ramp it Up(strength training), and I've already had 80 oz of water and have peed about 6 times already,lol. But also, I've been really hungry this AM. I ate a yogurt post-workout and then at 7:15 I ate my bf which was heart healthy oatmeal(NSA), strawberries and walnuts. 2 hours later, my stomach was growling! So on the way to work I ate a small boiled egg and 2% cheese. Maybe I just needed some protein. Lunch will be a LC multi-grain wrap made with a slice of pepper jack cheese, a slice of LS turkey and ham with spinach and red onion on it. Sliced cukes and cherry tomatoes on the side. I have 1 oz unsalted nuts for my evening snack. Supper will be a chicken breast and green beans(they're having rice).

Pancho- Hey, stranger. Good going on maintaining your loss. I'm trying to get back to my low.

Fruit- I hear ya on the Katrina thing. I wish I had HBO! I'd like to see it.

Well, I better get to work!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:18 PM   #26  

I am rather bummed. I was about to leave to run some errands, and decided to check my blood sugar before I left. I dropped the meter, but when I checked, it was really low. So, I did the control thing to check the meter and did a second check...it was even lower. Then I started getting the shakes. I went and ate something...took a sip of Laura's Sprite for the sugar (they tell you to drink 4oz of reg. soda to fix hypoglycemia...I usually don't, but it was right there...) and had a glass of milk and some peanut butter. I am STILL shakey. Grrr. I really wanted to leave! Now I am sitting here, waiting for the symptoms to subside so I can drive.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #27  

Howdy all... I did my TM today and had 2 soft boiled eggs and a piece of toast for breakfast. I'm trying to get some water in. Can't understand why this is such a problem lately. I may have to start making some ice tea instead. Should go to town today but I hate getting out of the house when its 90 degrees. I'm having to be on guard my little dog Jackson has decieded he'll get into everything today. He's already pulled my coffee off and spilled it everywhere. Got into the trash, laundry and helped me make the bed!

Heartmom- Stay off those scales.... You're sure doing great on the exercise, keep up the good work. You can do this!!

Gator- So happy your party turned out well. And that you had a good time too....

Monet- Hope this new pen works better for you and you get back to losing weight. Can't wait till I can walk outside...

Solly- You may be right about drinking ice tea or crystal light. I've got to do something. The Larabars are really good but I had to get mine off the internet so the shipping was high.

Thin- I'm glad for Rachael that she doesn't have strep. Heres wishing all a speedy recovery.

Fruit- Good gosh you did wonderful this week... "2 1/2" lbs is sooooo great! You're really on a roll.... Now you've got Monday over with hope the week is smooth sailing... LOL

Tech- Oh boy send me some of that black bean soup. It sounds so good I might have to make some...

Hope I haven't missed anyone. Have a good SB day!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #28  

Oh no Monet, I hope you get better soon.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #29  
Addicted to potato salad!

Fruit: I'm so with you on the hurricane thing. From up here, everytime I hear about Katrina, its about how horrible the blacks and poor have it. I can't listen to it anymore. In 1992, I took a class on meteorology for my science elective. We did extensive studies on two American cities: Fairbanks, Alaska, for its extreme hot and cold temps and New Orleans for being so far under sea level and how it would turn into a giant bowl of jumbalaya if a large hurricane hit square on. In my opinion, if I lived in NO, every time a hurricane even looked my way, I'd be on the high road...I don't care if I have to hitch a ride to get outta town. And if these people were in such dire straights even before the hurricane, its nobody's fault but their own...we are all in charge of our own destiny and our lives are what we make of it. Sure, there are some families that have fallen on really bad times and their poverty is not their fault, but I feel that in most cases, it's a family legacy that has to stop. And they use the hurricane to add to the woe is me factor. In my other opinion, that Ray Nagin and NO city management should be held accountable for putting all those people's lives in jeopardy and not having a plan ahead of time in the event a hurricane hit and not evacuating sooner. I remember watching the Weather Channel a day and a half or so before the hurricane hit and they showed him on TV saying he didn't want to act too soon and cause widespread panic or whatever...and the WC people were kind of like, "I don't know what he's waiting for...it's headed right for NO!" All those school busses left to soak in parking lots could have been used for evacuation, jsut for starters. Oh, well. I commend you for still living here, Fruit. If I'd lived through a devastating hurricane, I'd have moved to IDAHO!! And I can't imagine what it's got to be like living there with all of that in your face everyday.

Laurie: Well, the exercise and good eating won't show positive results until you've been doing it for a while and consistently...but I think you know that. Also, make sure you're getting plenty of sleep. I always find that if I manage to get in an extra hour of sleep, the weight comes off easier. Maybe it's just me...

Gator: I'm glad your party was a smash!

Solly: We are definitely keeping the boat. And, yes, I'd like to think that now Derek will be reading to Kyle at night and cooking dinner and washing dishes while I sit on the couch with the remote, complaining that I'm all alone. But I don't think that will be happening.

Nat: Good to see you posting!!

Thin: Good that Rachel doesn't have strep and it's only allergies. Poor thing...it's good she has you for a mom!!

Okay...still waiting to hear from the principal whether or not I have the job at school. Two lovely days wasted on sitting by the phone. I could be at the beach! I should toss the kids outside, though. It's a rare day without Junior..he's at the groomer getting shaved down to velour length again. I can hardly wait. I know...he's a sheepdog...but I love him short. I have gone on record as stating that the sheepdog was Derek's idea, right? Well, He was the one that was supposed to be brushing him. I just love him and like his personality. I hate his icky mats and foulness with the odor. Bleh. He IS cute and fluffy, but gross, just the same.

Anyhow...time for lunch.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:05 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Monet, I'm off to check the larabars. Hope you feel better quickly. Be careful.

Gator, I called my oncologist and he did not recommend me taking the Fosamax as my last density test was normal. I kept thinking I had heard bad things about Fosamaz but wasn't sure what it was. I would like the Boniva better, 1 x a week. I think I will wait on it.

Tech, I'm agree with you 100%.There are things people can do for themselves. Hope you hear soon about the job.

Heart, you really, really need to hide that scale. It only bums you out and leads you into a binge.

Toni, The iced tea has to be decaf to count as water. My DD just got a new puppy and he is into everything. Wants to bite all the time.

Bob, hope all is well with you.

Fruit, Hope your Tuesday was better than Monday.

Almost time to go home and get ready for the Pampered Chef party. Talk to you tomorrow.
Closed Thread