South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 03:13 PM   #16  
it's always something

I'm not familiar with PSAT, what does that stand for? I have mitral valve prolapse, angina, and a variety of other goodies. I've been on beta blockers since 1988, and I'm 41. I've noticed the biggest change ever since starting the South Beach Diet. The lack of sugar and "bad carbs" has had a suprising effect! I've not had any arrhythmias, chest pains, or any other symtpoms. I'm back on the treadmill for at least an hour at a time without a beat out of place. I do take a lot of supplements which are supposed to be good for the heart, such as CoQ10, fish oil, folic acid, B6, and a few others recommended by Dr. Dean Ornish. A lot of people with heart irregularities have reported improvements with them. That, along with my new way of eating have contributed to my improvements. I hope you'll see improvements on this diet, as well. It's going to be a lifestyle change, but it's worth it already

Good luck!
Old 07-17-2003, 04:44 PM   #17  

Angry Happy to be here!

Hi all!
I'm glad to be here. Just brought the book and already read over half of it today. I'm a cardiology nurse so thought if a cardiologist gives his stamp of approval on this program then I should give it a try.

Suzanne and hangtough, The beta blockers are notorious for slowing you down! But they are such great drugs. If people can get thru the initial sluggishness that do fine on it. It decreases the workload of the heart, so the heart doesn't have to work so hard. Can make you feel tired, along with slowing the metabolism.

I've got a lot to lose! So I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone "on the beach".
Old 07-17-2003, 05:23 PM   #18  

Height: 5'-2"

Hi Janie! Welcome!
Old 07-17-2003, 09:28 PM   #19  
it's always something

Hi Janie, good to have you in here with us! I agree, the fact that this was developed by a cardiologist is what drew me in! I really HATE the name of the diet because it sounds like a fad diet lol.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:59 PM   #20  

Hi everyone, I'm new on SBD started this morning. I bought V8 juice, but before I opened it up I noticed it has 8 grams of sugar. It doesn't say in the ingrediance that they added any. What do you all use? Thank-x
Old 07-17-2003, 10:00 PM   #21  

Hi Janie!
Good luck. You'll love it here.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:01 AM   #22  

Default PSAT

PSAT is "Paroxymal Supraventricular Tachycardia". It is a benign condition that seems, with me at least, to be hormone related. Also I can't do caffeine, msg, alcohol. These things can trigger an episode of rapid heart rhythm. It can get as high as 250. The beta-blocker helps reduce the frequency and length of the episodes. My mom has it, an aunt of hers had it. I hope my children don't have it. So far so good. My daughter is 26 and I had already started having it by then. I'm 46 years old and starting having the condition when I was 20. People that have PSAT typically also have MVP. Mine doesn't seem to be very bad though because I've only had one cardiologist mention it. The worst part (a little humour here) is I can't eat chocolate. Now if I could just get my hands on decaffeinated chocolate. Actually once I was told to lay off all caffeine I thought it would be easy to stay thin without chocolate in my life. I found quick substitutes mind you. Like caramel.......
Old 07-18-2003, 10:17 AM   #23  
it's always something

Isn't it funny how certain foods can set off arrhythmias? I don't have many problems now, but there was a time when just touching my tongue to something like a cheese flavored Pringle chip would set me off. I have problems with sugar free jello, and a some highly processed foods. Caffeine no longer bothers me, unless I drink a lot of it, and thank the heavens that chocolate is fine, too There are some chocolate treats that have very little caffeine in them. Too bad they can't all be fat and sugar free, too!!
Closed Thread