South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/209/143

Height: 5.5'

Default Newcomer to the Beach.

Hi everybody!

I'm new here. I've just started the second week of phase 1. Since my 100th effort to lose weight failed, I've been trying to figure out what to do with those cravings. I had never even read what South Beach involved in the past, because I said, right, another Atkins version, and Atkins is just too difficult for me. It was Pasta Queen's blog that made me interested in SB, I bought the book (the old one) and I was thrilled. So here I am.

I think I'm doing OK. Cravings have been reduced, almost disappeared. My main difficulty is breakfasts. It makes me miserable to think of eggs when I wake up. So I have cheese and turkey wrapped in lettuce. Do you think that's OK for breakfast?
NikiZapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, NikiZapa! I'm glad you've read the book so you'll understand just how this plan works and all the fundamentals of it.

Your cheese and turkey lettuce wraps are just fine for breakfast, as long as you make sure the cheese is a lowfat one and the turkey is lean breast meat. You don't have to eat eggs every day! You can have whatever you like for breakfast, as long as it's on plan. There's a great thread stickied in our FAQ section regarding breakfast alternatives, check it out.

We're happy you've decided to set up your beachchair here to join us, and look forward to getting to know you!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

Welcome! Breakfasts were always hardest for me on PH1. I got sick of eggs very fast. I was a big one to eat non-breakfast foods, like leftovers from dinner. Soup is great in the winter. Right now I have been eating crockpot refried beans for breakfast every day for close to a year. It is a great combo of fiber, protein and good carbs.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #4  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Welcome to the beach..you know..there are more than just eggs out there..there is a recipe for flaxseed pancakes phase 1 and there is plain yougurt that you can have with sugar free jam mixed in and there is flaxseed chocolate cinnamon muffins..there is cottage cheese and veggies or if you want sweet, cottage cheese and cinnamon with some splenda and vanilla mixed in..the posibilities are endless..dont get trapped into thinking its eggs for breaky or thats it..there is plenty you can eat in the morning..just got to get creative..best way to get creative..go to the south beach recipe section..the breakfast section for phase 1..has some awesome recipe ideas..everyone gets sick of eggs..except..maybe me..cause i love eggs..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #5  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Welcome to the

I have a couple quick breakfasts that I like - sans eggs. A lot of the time I save a bit of last night's dinner for breakfast!

Nonfat plain greek yogurt with pistachios and a splenda (sugar free breakfast syrup is good, too).
Refried, nf black beans with mild salsa and part-skim mozzarella
turkey bacon sandwiches using cabbage or romaine leaves for "Bread" with a little lf cheddar on it - yum.
peanut butter on celery stix (or light cottage cheese)
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 246/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!!

As others mentioned, anything's fine for breakfast so long as it's on plan

And, eggs don't have to taste like "eggs".. Mini quiche, all sorts of omelettes, mock french toast, mock oatmeal, etc. are all great egg-based breakfasts. Plus, there have been many a day where I had leftovers from the night before for breakfast. Peanut butter smoothies are fantastic as well as long as you stay within your nut serving and use lowfat milk and no real sugar..

The main thing is you need both veggies and lean protein to fill you up and keep you full

One of my favorite breakfasts is a chocolate pecan torte.. It's sugar free, high in protein, and tastes like eating pie for breakfast lol Of course, there's no veggies in it, so your first snack needs to be very veggie based (like fresh veggies and lowfat dip for example), but still

Last edited by Mum2Monkeys; 02-27-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Mum2Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Welcome!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #8  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

Hi there Niki, it's nice to meet you and to our beach. I know that eggs aren't your favorite item for breakfast but have you tried the mock pancakes? I see others have already given you lots of ideas so won't repeat them here. Be sure and take a look our the phase one breakfast recipes though, some very good ones there.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #9  

Default Thanks everybody - great ideas

Thanks everybody for the welcome and the recipes. I've also checked the recipes here as some of you suggested. I think I'll try the mock pancakes tomorrow!

Niki
Old 02-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #10  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I have a VitaMix and make a smoothie in the morning which suits me just fine. I do it every day. The thing I like about SBD is there are lots of ways we all eat which suit our individual tastes!

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to the beach, Niki!!! Like you, I've tried just about everything (okay, except actually eating right and working out, LOL)...South Beach is the ONLY thing that's worked for me. It sounds like you are on track for a successful journey. Having decreased your cravings this much already is a great sign!!! Keep up the good work!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #12  

Thanks Natasha!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #13  
Be happy.

NikiZapa

I don't care for eggs unless they're hidden in cakes or cookies so I rarely have eggs for breakfast. I do hot cereal on phase 2 but on phase 1 I often ate turkey roll ups, too. Or other quick lunch type meals.

Congratulations on the 6 pounds you've lost already, you're off to a great start! I look forward to getting to know you better.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote