South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:52 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 167/156/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Olive Garden

I had to eat dinner at the Olive Garden during Phase I, and it was really hard. I had lots of salad, and then I ordered this stuffed chicken dish. I think it had 3 cheese in it. I asked for veggies instead of the garlic mashed potatoes. My friends had dessert and everything - I stayed strong somehow. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #17  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Thanks for all the advice with Olive Garden. After looking at their menu, it looks rather challenging. They do offer a grilled chicken breast on their children's menu. Maybe a salad without their usual dressing and chicken or the minestrone as someone suggested without the pasta. The lunch menu had fewer offerings than dinner. Oh well, the hardest part is not to eat the breadsticks. The company will be more satisfying than the food for me.

I don't think I ate enough yesterday. I was really sweaty, light headed and hungry this morning - like low blood sugar. Not sure why. I feel better after eating breakfast.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #18  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

RE Olive Garden. When you get there (or call ahead) tell the waitress that because of health issues, you can't have any butter, flour or sugar. Then ask if the chef whip you up a grilled chicken or shrimp or fish salad (or a combo of shrimp/chicken etc) with a vinegarette dressing with no sugar in it. Most restaurants are more than happy to. Or ask if chef can suggest something for you. Calling ahead helps. Apparently they have a "Garden Fare" menu so they should be able to accomodate you.

Last edited by femmecreole; 02-11-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #19  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Olive Garden has WW fettuccini. It's talked about in a little box on the bottom right side of the menu along with other healthy options. Very easy to substitute.

Chickies, just so you're not re-inventing the wheel, you may want to check out the following threads (and post in them!). Not only may you find just the information you were seeking, but you'll find it quickly! This thread will eventually sink to the bottom of the stack and all of your great advice will be somewhat lost (if someone searches using the right terms, they might find it, but they might not). If you post in threads in the FAQ, the information is much easier for everyone to find and is less likely to become lost. Thanks! :

Not sure what's allowed? Check out the Phase 2 Food List - Most Current Version

Want to know the basic recommendations/guideline for transitioning to Phase 2? What other people have done that worked (and didn't work) for them? Check out the powerful What's your P2 Combo? thread!

The Emergency Handbook for Phase 2 thread is full of TONS of fantastic information on dealing with Phase 2, from how to choose bread, what wine is okay, how to add things slowly, meal planning and more!

I'm looking forward to seeing your posts!

Last edited by beachgal; 02-11-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #20  

Thanks so much, Laurie! Lots of helpful info!

Some observations: I don't think the 2004 Phase 2 list in the FAQ actually IS the most recent...the one I have from 2008 has two more veggies (parsnips and turnips), for example. Also, maybe the What's Your P2 Combo thread could be called Transitioning to Phase 2 to make it clear what's discussed? Just ideas...

The Emergency Handbook is absolutely great, btw.

I'm sure once people have been here awhile, they know where everything is, but when a person is new, it's not as easy to find the info and usually that's when we need it fastest, right?

Not trying to reinvent the wheel or step on any toes...really just wanted a place to talk about transitioning as going through it...didn't seem like we had one!

Have to say, I've felt so much better connected with other transitioners this week, too, here...

Last edited by bellaluna; 02-11-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #21  
I'm not fat I'm fluffy!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

Hi All ,
So glad to see this thread I have been "hiding" in phase 1 for about a month now. I know I am not supposed to but my body just wasnt happy when I started adding in carbs. I am going to try all your great advice. I will try adding 1 carb for a few days to give my body time to ajust and keep a close eye on the scale to see what happens.Thanks in advance

Murph: Olive garden is usually pretty good at subing items , like steamed veggies instead of potatos or pasta, .and salad dressing on the side.Check out the menu and call ahead to see how accomidating they are, most chefs like a challenge and will be more than happy to help you out. That goes for most restaurants.

Breadsticks are are hard one for me too. Ask you friend if they would either A) skip the bread sticks
B) Get a half order and eat fast
C) order breadsticks at the end of the meal and take them home ( they reheat really well)

Tell them how great they are for helping you reach your goal and when you become a swimsuit model you will dedicate your first SI cover to them.
It works for me. GL
Old 02-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

Where have all those helpful threads been hiding?

I don't think I could handle the temptation of being in Olive garden. I'd want the Toscana soup and breadsticks.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I started a PhII newbies thread last year and it ran for a month or so. I found it very helpful for the transition as there was a big group of us going through it all at once, like now for you guys.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #24  
Midwesterner

Well, I went to Olive Garden and had the minestrone, minus the pasta. Also a salad with my own dressing. I did avoid the breadsticks, although everyone around me was enjoying theirs. We all had soup & salad, so no one notice that I was eating anything different. I did call ahead & the manager told me that you can always order the grilled chicken "without breading or marinade" although the marinade they use is a Caesar one so it's probably OK. Good to know for next time. According to online calorie counts, the minestrone is only 160 calories, so minus the pasta, I didn't eat very many calories for lunch. I was hungry about two hours later!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:05 AM   #25  

Ok, so I need some advice. Have tried twice to move to Phase II and both times, I get a few days in and become sloppy about my plan, for some reason (most especially not eating as many veggies as I'm supposed to). Should I go back and do another week of Phase I to recommit to the basic structure of the plan and then try again to do a clean transition? Or just forge ahead, trying to tighten up in Phase II mode?

Last edited by bellaluna; 02-13-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:24 AM   #26  
I'm not fat I'm fluffy!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

Default hmmm

Hmmm good question. I am interested in seeing what everyone thinks.
Personally I would try to tighten up on phase 2 before going back to phase 1 only because phase 1 (from my understanding) is designed to rid you of carb and sugar cravings and that doesn't seem to be your problem.
But thats just me. Maybe I am wayyyy off base. Lets see how everyone else weighs in. LOL

BTW: I like that we transitioners have a real time place to chat. I love that there seems to be a place for everyone on this site.

Last edited by i ate my skinny me; 02-13-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:42 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

bellaluna, just how "sloppy" did you get on Phase 2? As long as you aren't letting sugars or refined foods back into your diet and have started craving again, I think you should just try to concentrate on doing a "clean" Phase 2. Be sure to go slowly at first. If you can do Phase 1, doing Phase 2 should be a breeze.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #28  
Midwesterner

There have been a few days that I did not get in all of my veggies, but that in itself isn't such a big deal. I think the ideal is to get them all in, but if I fall short on it occasionally, it won't be that big of a deal to me. Sometimes it's hard to keep enough fresh stuff in the house, or what I have looks less than fresh when I pull it out of the fridge. I do keep a few standbys in the cupboard, like canned tomatoes and mushrooms, which I like to add to anything.
I am having trouble with heartburn at night. I think because there is more fat in my meals than I ate before at supper, it stays in my stomach longer making me feel fuller, but also giving me nightly heartburn. (I'm on Prevacid for GERD but still have issues.)
Old 02-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #29  

S/C/G: HW 226/ CW217/ GW 145

Height: 5'4

Hello everybody!!
I am a newbie here. I just finished my first week in P2. I have just added 1 starch in so far. I have tried it at different times of the day to see what happens. Either a whole wheat tortilla with scrambled eggs in it at breakfast or half a wwpita at lunch with turkey and loads of lettuce and onions at lunch. I didnt feel. I think either one of those works for me.. I will see about adding fruit in next week.. I have been trying to find different ways to get my veggies in other than salads lol I love them, but well varity is important to me. Makes it feel less like a "diet" and more like better choices. I am excited to be on this journey.
Tracy
Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

I lost 10 pounds in P1, I've only lost one pound in the past two weeks on P2 and I've been on plan the whole time. Anyone else going through this?
Closed Thread