Lentil and Barley Soup
This is slightly modified from Nonna's Italian Kitchen by Bryanna Clark Grogan. Very good!
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 cups broth
1 1/2 cups dried lentils
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup barley
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry or 1 cup chopped cooked greens
freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, then saute' the onions till they begin to soften.
2. Add the celery, carrots, and garlic and saute' a few minutes more.
3. Add the broth, tomatoes, lentils, red wine, and herbs. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add barley; simmer for 45 minutes more, stirring occasionally and adding water if needed.
5. Add the greens and cook an additional 15 minutes.
6. Serve topped with parmesan cheese, if desired.