Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 10:17 PM   #91  
focused and aiming

rita, i hope you got your power back quickly. i can imagine how hot your house must have gotten.

kathy, hamilton is about 40 or so miles from us. maybe we can get together when you come. wouldn't that be neat? if we can't meet in texas, maybe montana. i hope you don't have the shingles type condition. hopefully, your stress will lessen soon.

curtis has just gone to the archery range to do some weedeating. he went there last evening and saw where there had been 2 bridges erected. life is good.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:55 PM   #92  
Melissa

Hey chicks...once again just dropping in. We had a pretty good time tonight. It's always hard going out with people who you don't know. We are both introverts so it can be hard for us to get to know people quickly. It takes awhile for us to warm up and be ourselves sometimes.

Sandra, I wish I had the nerves to be a nurse! I am a case manager in a substance abuse treatment program. Yeah, great fun. I don't know why it is funny to me, thinking of you wading through the water in the woods and shooting things. You go girl.

Angela, I think PMS and MFT are closely related.

Kathy, I hope that things are starting to calm down for you and you can avoid any physical complications on top of everything else. Take care of yourself!

Rita, I do tend to have blood sugar issues but today was different. Since I've started having this fatigue problem the dizziness and other things.

Chaille', good to see you here. Feel free to post anytime and share whatever you would like.

Donna, glad that you had a good time last night!

Hope everyone has a wonderfully blessed Sunday. I'm sure I'll be back to chat some more tomorrow. Night!
Old 08-21-2005, 12:30 AM   #93  
focused and aiming

melissa, i think it took as much courage for you to go out tonight as it did for me to do my "thang" in the woods. i am proud of you and aaron for going. it would be hard for us to go out with a couple we hardly knew, too.

well, chickies. have a good evening. i'll be back tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:38 AM   #94  

Default Good Morning Everyone!

I actually slept til 8:00! Of course, now I know why I usually get up earlier, my body is stiff as a board. The power finally came back on close to 9:00. My DH got tired of being hot and sitting in the dark so he went and got the generator out and plugged in a light or two and some fans! I tried to tell him that was too much trouble, that it would probably be back on soon. He said it was good practice for the hurricanes!

Scales are very strange devices. This morning I am down 3 pounds from yesterday morning. They are usually right on with ww. I don't think men's weight fluctuates as much as ours does. I don't usually freak out when I am up a pound or two because I know that I haven't been eating enough to gain.

We are going to my dh's brother and sil's tonight for a cookout for their sons. That is causing me to have a little anxiety. I think I will call and ask what we are having so I will know if I need to take something to help out, maybe 1 pt buns or FF mayo, or core potato salad??

Melissa, glad you and Aaron enjoyed your dinner out. That would be really difficult for me too.

Sandra, Bridges!! I know that makes you feel happy! Hope you enjoyed your time relaxing watching the hummers.

Kathy, Bless your heart! If it ain't one thing, it's ten. I have had shingles twice, both times were during times of severe stress. Chaille' and I were talking about that yesterday, we have got to find a better way to deal with stress! I hope maybe it was just a fluke and that you don't have a full blown case.

DH is up and gone out to get the paper, I'll chat with yall later! Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 08-21-2005, 09:05 AM   #95  

Default Good Morning

WOW! Rita sleeping in......what's wrong with this picture?? I tried to sleep in!DH got up with the little one, but 3 year olds are very loud and busy in the morning! So I gave in and got up!
I love the Haggard song.....I'll sing it with you Rita....it can be our new mini vacation spot.....just sing a few lines and we'll head out to Montana!

Kathy, I have the nerve problems in my leg and back but not the shingles thing.....hope it doesn't go there this time.

Melissa, I understand the going out thing....I have social anxiety....even on here!

Well, gotta go and get ready for church. Everyone have a great Sunday!
Old 08-21-2005, 10:39 AM   #96  
Southside White Sox Fan

Default Hello Chickies! Remember Me?

Hi Girls! I spent the entire day yesterday cleaning and cooking. I didn't realize how my cleaning lady was just really doing surface cleaning. So I'm going to continue with my deep cleaning and then hope that surface cleaning will keep it good after that. Then I'll just have to do this deep stuff twice a year. No good news for me on the scale yet but tomorrow is the official weigh in.

I made an interesting dessert yesterday. It was supposed to taste like cannoli filling. I'm not sure I've had cannoli in the last 15 years so I can't remember what it tastes like (I know Linda and Vicki would be shocked!). Even if it doesn't taste like the real thing, it was pretty darn good and all Core. I'll post if if anyone is interested. We had Core chicken fried rice for dinner with a nice salad. I am defnitely on program. Yesterday I convinced myself that maybe I'm not eating enough! In my heart I know I'm getting plenty of food.

So boy oh boy am I behind. Let's see how I can do.

Kath, sorry about the meltdown. We need to learn not to over react to anything the scale says from day to day. I've decided that if I am unable to give up my scale addiction then I can't adjust my eating/exercise based on what it says at home. I really hope you don't end up with the full case of shingles. I've never had them but heard they hurt like heck. When I get upset my weak spot is my stomach.

Billie, 150 pounds is my dream weight too. Unfortunately for me, I've got a long way to go to even get into the 100's.

Vicki, congratulations on the 2.5 pounds down. When is your official weigh in? Thanks for asking about my elbow. It's ok. I keep icing it and I've been wearing my brace to clean the house. It's hard because it's my right arm and I'm right handed.

Betty, I put my scale away once but I HAD to pull it back out. My husband Jim suggested that we put it in the basement. Then whenever I feel I need to get on it, at least their will be stairs for some exercise! Our basement is unfinished so I wouldn't be tempted to go down there and stay down there.

Rita, I think I eat rather than feel negative emotions like anger. I was taught from a young child that it wasn't appropriate to show anger so when I'm upset I eat. I also have this very strong sense of "fairness". I'll follow the rules and do what is right but it is very upsetting to me when others get away with not doing the right thing. So I'll eat. You'd think that at 49 I'd be over this but all I keep doing is trying to work on it. So far knowing that I have it has just been the consolation prize! I'm glad you didn't get too uncomfortable without power. It's one of the things that frightens me. I worry about losing power in Chicago during a snow storm or blizzard. Some day I'm going to check into generators. I'd at least like one big enough to run the furnace. I don't worry about the air because we could always go in our pool. I hope you do ok at the cookout today. I have a party on Labor Day that I'm real nervous about. They aren't grilling and the stuff they are having is no where near Core. They wouldn't care if I brought food but I have to think about it a bit.

Angela, chocolate is medicinal for me too. I just started feeling PMS symptoms yesterday and I made me and Jim one of those chocolate frosties. It was SO good. We really loved the oven fries and I've been trying to figure out what to make them with. Jim doesn't eat meatloaf so I'll have to keep looking for something cool to pair them with. School tomorrow!

Melissa, it is SO funny to me to hear that you are an introvert! I've drawn introverted people to me all my life. Jim is an introvert too. I know that introverts can be very social but then must go away alone to recharge. Jim can be the life of a party but then I pretty much leave him alone the next day. I, however, am an off the map extrovert. I did the Myers Briggs test and you couldn't score any higher on the extrovert scale! It shocked me when Jim once told me that his greatest fear was that I might say something spontaneously to people we were out socially with that he had PLANNED to say when we saw them. I couldn't believe he actually thought about what he would say when he saw people! Pretty much with me it's what you see is what you get. I think Jim once said that he doesn't think that I have an unexpressed thought. Of course, this isn't true but it's truer than not. I would never hurt anyone's feelings on purpose and I'm very diplomatic. I also try not to give unsolicited advice but us extroverts just can't help ourselves sometimes! There now you probably just want to run and hide from my long post! Hope you aren't having any more dizzy spells. That's concerning.

Chaille, don't feel pressured to answer every post. Just respond to what really inspires you until you feel more comfortable. Sometimes we're just venting and need some sympathetic "ears". I talk about everyone here to Jim all the time too. It would be more fun if I had a girlfriend to share you all with. I'm sorry about your "stay the same". Really, don't worry about it. Just stay on the program. When I started I'd lose .8, stay the same, lose .2, then I'd lose 3.4 or 2.6 ot something else great. It seemed like over a 4 week period I'd lose great but I'd have to ignore the week to week numbers. So try not to let it affect your eating the next time it happens. I promise that it will all work out in the end. I'm still in my plateau of 7 weeks. Since July 1st, I've only lost .2 total. I swear I'm being true to the program and I'm exercising and drinking my water. I guess after 43 pounds my body just wants to take a rest. I'm not giving up this time. We can get through this together. I hope you have a great week.

Donna, I'm glad you had a great day. You're safe here but only share as much as you feel comfortable with.

Sandra, it does sound like your life is perfect for you and Curtis. I've been overweight my whole life too. We didn't have alot of money growing up but we always had great food. That's how my parents showed love. My Mom was an excellent cook and she loved to do it. She reminds me of Rita's Mom except my Mom was overweight too. We're Austrian and so I grew up on breaded pork chops, sausages, sauerkraut, dumplings, potatoes, etc. You get the picture! Thanks for the suggestion on Lanny. I'll see if I can find him at the library.

Well, it's time to go eat my breakfast and then get to my chores for the day. I'll try to check back later during a break!

Last edited by Vickie; 08-21-2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:46 AM   #97  
Southside White Sox Fan

Ok, forgive the long post! I wasn't on yesterday at all and had a lot to respond to!

Linda, where have you gone?

Frouf, I hope you and DH are really having a blast.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:45 PM   #98  

I, too, slept in this morning. I went to bed at 12:30 and next thing I knew it was 8:00! Not only did I sleep in, but I didn’t wake once during the night either! That’s very rare for me!!

I had a little slip up last night. I ate a good dinner and stopped when I felt satisfied. A couple of hours later DS came in with pizza. I hadn’t had pizza in about a month and actually hadn’t had pizza from this particular place in about 2 years! So, I had a small slice. I felt mad later that I had done it, but then felt proud that I only had one small piece. Normally I would have had 2-3 pieces and this is AFTER I had dinner.

Vickie: Sounds like you’re feeling better. All your cleaning inspired me and I started cleaning out kitchen cabinets yesterday! I decided to hold off re-joining WW. Between my work schedule and having to go to physical therapy 3 times a week, I didn’t want to commit to another “appt”. Plus, I have been a member off and on for so many years, that I get sick of hearing the same topics over and over. I decided I’m going to weigh myself at home every Friday and see how I can manage.

Have a great day.

Vicki B.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:05 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 169/167.6/135

Height: 5'3'

Good morning all! Oh, I guess it's afternoon.

School starts Wednesday. Yea! Kiddies are fighting a lot more in the last few days. I think it's time to go back to school.

Here's my dilemma:

$12 / week to go back to WW meetings
or water aerobics 3x a week (45 min each)
or do the water aerobics until Oct., and if not losing then go back
to WW meetings. I have a free regis.coupon that is good until
Oct.

I think I'll do the last one., try the water aerobics first since my coupon is good for a while. I did this once before and was the only one there without white hair; but it was a good workout and I will still be home in time to get DS off the kindergarten bus.

Gotta go now to my neices birthday party., oh yeah, she's 20., how many more of these do we need?? She's going back to college tomorrow so we must have the party today.

BBL to catch up.
Lisa
Old 08-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #100  

Height: 5'7"

Happy Sunday, everybody. I've had a quiet day doing my chores and watching TV. Judd got home from Houston a little while ago and is now camped out in "my" recliner! The nerve of him!!

I made a beautiful yellow 2-layer cake with milk chocolate icing just now. It's safe with me because that's not really my thing, but when big DD comes home from work she's going to be in heaven! It's square, and came out of the pan perfectly, and looks so good under my cake dome. It's probably been a month since I made one, which is unusual because I try to keep that sort of thing under the dome. I expect this one won't last long at all.

I'm watching a show on TLC about a family with 14 kids and they're about to have #15. It is really a great show -- the kids are SOOOO well behaved. The parents saved up money before having the kids, don't have any debt at all, and run that family like a well oiled machine. It's amazing. The mom is the most patient person I think I've ever seen or heard. They just built a new house, paying for it as they went. It's beautiful (they did it themselves). It's 7,000 sq. ft. and looks like a hotel. Again, I am amazed!!

Tonight I'm making swiss steak, mashed potatoes, and green beans for the family. I'll eat a salad -- was at a solid 154 this morning, darn it. Tomorrow I start really concentrating because it's only TWO MORE WEEKS until Labor Day! I MUST see 149 by then in order to stay on schedule.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:07 PM   #101  
focused and aiming

top of the morning to you all. it's a glorious day in western montana. the sun is shining. the hummingbirds are humming. life is definitely good. why am i in such a good mood? might as well be. it costs the same as being in a bad one, doesn't it?

we just had a huge lunch. i also made a pudding dish that donna told me about. you make that banana cream pudding and put in some cooked couscous. donna also puts in some mandarin oranges. i don't think i have any, though. so i'm just having mine with bananas. i think it will sort of be a core tapioca.

rita, your anxiety shoudl go away. it sounds like you already have solved your problem. have fun tonight. a cookout sounds like a blast to me. curtis and i will prob dine with the hummingbirds. (not on their feeder, of course.) (man! i'm in a silly mood today, aren't i?)

hi there, chaille. i think i'm going to go ask jeeves what the lyrics to "big city" are. he usually knows things like that. that song makes me smile.

i have to tell you i totally shocked everyone, family included, when i retired and moved up here to be with curtis. i also inspired some of my single friends to be more adventurous and start making different choices. i had decided i didn't want to go on the way i did so i had to step up and make different choices. when i saw curtis' ad in the ft. worth personals, i decided to take a chance. this was the best step i ever took. guess i'm almost a mail order bride, aren't i? we did talk over the phone for 6 months before he came to texas to meet in person. that was christmas 95. we continued to see each other off and on until i moved up here after retiring at christmas 97. we've been married since february 99.

rambling again, aren't i? sorry. i did reread lanny's book yesterday and am empowered today. maybe that's why i'm in such a good mood.

vickie, you know i'm drooling here waiting on that cannolli recipe--even though i don't remember ever having a cannolli. i see them eating them on "everybody loves raymond" and my mouth waters. you are so wise to just keep on doing core. this plateau is bound to break soon. i am proud of you for hanging in there. i have been eating a little more this week, so i'm not convinced i'm losing--but i am eating core. we had a huge lunch today including angela's oven fries. you're right. they are to die for. i felt like i wasn't on a diet for sure. one fifty is my dream weight, too. i know we feel good about ourselves now because we're doing something positive for ourselves and we are in control. just think how fantastic we're going to feel when we get to our goal. (people may have a hard time being around us. do you think we'll be cocky? ) (i don't really think we will. i'm just joking.)

phew! i'm making another long post, aren't i?

vicki, my friend, i am proud of you for only having one small piece of that pizza. i know your italian blood was pumping you for more but you controlled yourself. way to go, girl!!!!!!! okay, now about bb. what did you think about last night? i have to tell you that first of the season curtis didn't want to watch. he would even pout when i watched it. now he's glued to the tube with me. i was actually hoping james would get hoh so he'd have to show his true colors as to which side he's on now. oh, well, beau is in charge. i guess it will be howie (even though we had the chocolate pp episode) and janelle. if one of them gets veto, maybe he'll put up james instead of rachel. i don't know.

lisa, enjoy yourself at the birthday party. i have a friend who's 50+ who still has bday parties. guess to each his own, eh? sounds like you have a good plan. i have to confess that i'm doing better now that i'm back at ww meetings. if you feel you need to go back, do so before you've waited too long. i'd packed on about 40 or so lbs before i went back. now it's going to cost me more because i have more to lose.

linda, i am proud of you for sts. (i love the shortcut letters) it sounds like you're pretty happy with it, too. i sts week before last. this week i dropped 1.4 lbs. it's a slow journey, but look at all the fun we're having chatting along the way.

hi, kathy. your cake sounds wonderful. i'm baking walnut chocolate chip cookies for curtis right now. he'll be in his heaven, too. i am loaded with core snacks and also some bakers box cookies so i'm all right. i'm proud of you for keeping on with the weightloss. it's easy to say, "i'm happy at 154" and stop losing especially when you look as good as you do. atta girl.

have a great day, all. i'm heading over to post what i've eaten and will eat today. i'll talk to you later.

Last edited by notnew2this; 08-21-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:14 PM   #102  
Melissa

Hi everyone! We've been to church, out to eat, and shopping. I finished buying prizes for the baby shower games (it's this Saturday and I'm starting to get anxious over whether or not I am ready!) and a card for my dad's bday which is Tuesday. I didn't tell you all I got my hair cut yesterday and it's pretty nice. It's always nice when you first get your hair cut (unless you hate it, I guess! ).
The big baby shower for my bgf is on Saturday and I am nervous about whether or not everything is ready. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I am open. I only mailed about 15 invitations but apparently there could be anywhere from 20-30 people coming. I have about 6 games in mind and have delegated food responsibilities. I am planning on having a basket of "parenting advice" where people can fill out sheets of advice and leave them for the parents-to-be. We are having it in the morning so it is a brunch type of thing. That was more than you all wanted to know.

Vickie, you are so funny. When I took the Myers-Briggs I was exactly 50/50 extrovert/introvert. When I am in situations where I am uncomfortable, I act like an introvert. When I'm comfortable, I'm loud and annoying. I am a what you see is what you get kind of girl, too. I am (probably too) honest about most everything--except of course like you were saying about hurting others feelings. But I am just kind of matter-of-fact about things. I think it sometimes throws Aaron off because he is overly socially aware of how things sound or look. We are different in that way. I'm glad that you got so much done yesterday. It is hard for me to want to deep-clean a place that I am renting. I'm lazy.

Aaron bought a steamer today and he is too excited. He just cleaned the top of the stove with it. Hey, for $30 I'll buy anything that will make him want to clean.

Yes, I am still feeling dizzy and tired but I am learning to deal with it. Hopefully I will hear from the doctor's office on Monday or Tuesday. I would love to get this taken care of asap.

Sandra, how are the hummers today?

Linda, good to hear that you are still hanging around. It sounds like you are doing well.

Kathy, I can't believe labor day is only 2 weeks away. I had such high aspirations for that day. I won't meet my goal, but life will go on. And to think that my original goal was 145 by my bday (9/28)--a goal I set last year on my birthday. I am no where near it but at least I have taken steps to get there, right?? Sounds like you are having a relaxing day (aside from Judd stealing your recliner!).

OK I have to get some baby shower planning accomplished. Talk to you all later.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:16 PM   #103  
Melissa

Sandra, you are silly today. But it sounds like you are happy and that makes me happy too!!
Old 08-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #104  
focused and aiming

hi there, melissa. how about a photo of your new do? we'd love to see it. have fun planning the shower. i am off here now. curtis' cookies are done.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:22 PM   #105  

Height: 5'7"

You guys don't know introvert until you've met me!! I took one of those "what sort of job are you suited for?" tests one time and you can't believe what it said I would be ideal for. Are you ready for this? It said I would make a good lighthouse keeper because I like to work and live and be alone. Talk about introvert!!! If I see someone in a store that I know, most of the time (unless it's a very good friend) I'll duck down another aisle to avoid them. I don't like talking on the phone AT all and don't go out with friends unless DH is there (and then it's usually his friends). That's pretty pathetic.

Melissa, I have set a goal for the last two years and see where I am? Probably the same place. Actually I started Labor Day of 2003 at 175. I had seen a picture of me (that one with John Travolta) and yes, I did sit in a wheelchair most of the summer with a broken foot that wouldn't heal and I got NO exercise at all for three months, but my weight had crept up so gradually that I didn't even realize it until I saw the picture. After that, I said THAT'S IT!! I lost 15 in about six weeks, then maintained it for a year. Lost another 15 but have gained some of it back. I need to do what I was doing then (which was low carb foods but still counting points). Actually it was mostly Core only at the time, there was no Core.

I will weigh 139 by Dec. 3 even if I have to cut off a foot to get there.
Closed Thread