Old 07-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I was trying to figure out why Vickie was talking about hockey

I've never heard of "trigger finger." Guess I'm lucky. The middle finger of my right hand is constantly sore, and NO it's not because it gets a workout while I'm driving!!!

Jojo, that is an amazing story. Perhaps someone will miss the ashes eventually, or perhaps the store should just release them in the wilds somewhere.

I've decided to try to limit my carbs to 100 grams a day. That is 60 fewer carbs than the minimum that the Mayo Clinic recommends. I'll see if I can stand it and if it has any effect. On the days that I lift weights, I'll eat more of them and just before the workout.

If you want to read an inspiring story, go to the goals section and read "101 pounds lost"...this woman is running races after having had recent brain surgery. Her name is Rhonda and she lives in this area, but it ain't me

Last edited by Tejas; 07-13-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #17  

Height: 5' 10"

Hi everyone. I hope you are all staying cool. Its been miserable here for the past couple days -- Hot, hot, hot and HUMID! I miss the snow from this winter.......its supposed to cool off today and tomorrow should be dry and in the mid 70's. Can't wait. Nothing worse than getting ready for work this morning and sweating while I was doing it.

Had WI today - lost 2 pounds! I'm glad I skipped wi last week but sat in the meeting. It got me back on track. I'm down 6 pds since we started - my ticker is a bit off, I need to fix that.

Jojo -- its a good thing you looked inside. Can you imagine if you just had it in your room for a while and then looked! EEK. I've got to wonder if it was a spouse's ashes, and when the widow died, the house just got cleaned out with out anyone realizing.

I picked up a load of zucchini at the farmers market yesterday. Anyone have favorite recipes? I do grill it and I've made frittatas. Any other suggestions?

Have a good day!
blessedwithsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #18  

Height: 5' 10"

Ok, fixed my tracker....
blessedwithsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #19  
focused and aiming

I am home from swimfit and lunch. Ate healthy. Exercised a bit. Life is good.

Vickie, I'm still laughing about your "hockey sticks". I love you, girl!

JoJo, what a shocker that must have been. Wonder who ya'll had there? But then that's sad someone sold the urn in the first place. Sometimes don't you just wonder, "What next?"

Paula, on losing. You go, girl!

Rhonda, Rhonda 2 is amazing--but so are you.

Nancy, you're getting a lot done. I'm impressed. You're bound to be losing some weight. Don't fret the scales.

I am readying to play Scrabble. Got to exercise my noodle a bit. Have a good, comfortable afternoon.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #20  

Another day of good progress. Found a handyman that has great tips and good prices. I have a good feeling about him after meeting him. He is going to cut and nail deck boards to replace rotten ones, build a one step stair to shed (we step on shifting stones and its dangerous) and fix my busted outside spigots. I like the way I am doing as much as possible , getting help from family & friends & then hiring what I can't get done any other way.

JoJo..What an interesting story .. I think I would have kept it ..Can you imagine telling dinner guest that the jar contains an unknown persons ashes. I like to stir the pot enough that I may get an urn , add fireplace ashes and
put it on my table. But since Robin just passes thats a terrible idea
Maybe it was a pet ..

Rhonda..I like the sound of that book .I may get a copy..

Paula..Good Job !!! I like you tracker. I used to make a good zucchini bread recipe but I don't know about the calories in it...If you want it I will look for it.

Vickie..Try to keep it clean I am just ribbing you !!

Maryann..let us know how the "finger" procedure went.

Sandra.. my stepdaughter loves scrabble and also loves a
game called snatch(I think) ..She used the scrabble tiles & if you haven't heard of it I'll try to explain it
nancy237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #21  
beachbum

Hi Ladies

Had the junk man here this morning and got rid of an old pool table,power shovel,microwave,cat taxi,cat scratching post,Christmas tree and some old boxes. Now I can clean the basement floors where the junk was kept and reorganized the basement. Have all my seasonal clothes in the up stairs closet. Now its going to be up to my DD & DS what they want,if not another run to the dump for the junk man in Sept.

Quote:
Mary Ann, I don't really swim; just bounce and walk and jump and tread water like Sandra does. It's better than sitting on the couch.
VICKIE-Oh I could do that,but we don't have a town pool in the neighborhood. I guess we can do that in the beaches also.Just go to the beach late in the evening so no one see us.

Quote:
Maryann, we need that good slow steady rain, too.

SANDRA-My poor tomato plants are so thirsty,try to water them every day. I thought I was only going to get 8 tomatoes as that how many blossoms were on the plants.Now I see over twenty.I guess the tomatoes like HH weather. Still watering,wish I could have some relieve from Mother Nature.

Quote:
I am making good progress on the house list.
NANCY[Your doing good,getting the house fixed up. I saw some rotten boards on my house several years ago and had our handy fix the rotten boards. He gave me a cortisone shot in the base of my finger and if it does work in 4 weeks I should come back and he will cut a small incision in the same place as the cortisone shot was.

Quote:
Maryann I had a trigger finger, back in the days when it was corrected by surgery in the hospital. Just by chance an osteopath I was seeing for my back, released the trapped nerve I didn't know was trapped and the finger came back to normal within a few days
JOJO-My Orthopedic doctor asked if my fingers we still tingling and I told him yes, He took a xray of my hand and asked if I wanted to have a operation on my spine and I TOLD HIM NO !!!!! Than he told me I have an acute carpel tunnel in my left hand. Wanted to know if I wanted to have the Carpel tunnel and the trigger fixed at the same time. I told him I just want the trigger finger worked on today,as I going on vacation with my DD and don';t want to have a hurting hand when I'm away. He gave me a cortisone shot in the base of my finger and if strung for most of the day and night. I now can use the trigger finger again and my hand feels lot better. If it comes back in 4 weeks he will cut the area and move the tangled nerve. What ever that means.

Quote:
Had WI today - lost 2 pounds! I'm glad I skipped wi last week but sat in the meeting. It got me back on track. I'm down 6 pds since we started - my ticker is a bit off, I need to fix that
PAULA-Congrats on your 2 lb loss and total of 6 you're doing terrific.
Wish WW would have worked for me but being with them for 32 week and now losing I knew something was wrong and I should try another. Now I just try to eat healthy and watch my calories & carbs.

Have a great evening
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #22  

nancy, the book is fascinating to me. It takes some work to get through it all, and he is a science writer.

Also, I know the person who did the basic research behind the Glycemic Index and I wrote to him today about not being able to get the belly fat off. He wrote to me that it is not unusual as a part of aging, but that he and his fellow researchers have recently finished work on what the call Eco Atkins. I searched it on the 'net and found a lot of information. It is vegetarian, thus, may not appeal to most of us, but they got some good results. Still, it may be because there was quite a calorie reduction. But, it seems that it gave good insulin control.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas View Post
but that he and his fellow researchers have recently finished work on what the call Eco Atkins. I searched it on the 'net and found a lot of information. It is vegetarian, thus, may not appeal to most of us, but they got some good results. Still, it may be because there was quite a calorie reduction. But, it seems that it gave good insulin control.
That sounds interesting . I need to get excited about a new heathly eating plan. I am not a huge meat eater anyway so I will read up on it. My joints really tell me about it when I eat junk like I have this summer..
Old 07-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #24  

My dog Skipper has hurt her knee somehow and isn't putting any weight on it.
She has had several knee surgeries and I don't think she could go through another because of her overall condition with age & arthritis.
I have her on pain meds and will take her in to be checked tomorrow.
I can't even think how I will cope if she has torn it bad because I won't let her suffer ..
I am sleeping on the couch tonight because she can't go up the stairs and she likes to be right beside me at night.
I worry about making the right decision for her ..Not letting her suffer but
weighing the chance she could get better.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:19 AM   #25  
hopeless but harmless

Height: 5' 5"

To be honest, we can see the funny side of it now and our neighbours are cracking up
That's what we thought Paula No Sandra, no one sold them they were donated. Charity shops are where people donate unwanted things so that the charity can sell them for the charity. I remember once, I was clearing out all our clutter for a flea market in aid of our daughter's school. I stuck a label on a handbag saying 'as new, used once' and thank the lord I checked inside because sitting proudly on the bottom of the bag was my mum's spare set of dentures from when she had gone on vacation the previous summer

My husband has C.T. both hands Maryann caused by his job

Ah Vickie give Skipper a cuddle from me. When Dolly our lab had her ligaments replaced Mark slept on the sofa for several nights and even supported her rear end when she went out for a wee

Last edited by jojo23; 07-14-2011 at 03:20 AM.
jojo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #26  

morning chicks.

jojo, I'm glad you can laugh about it now. I would have been mortified. My sis has my dads ashes. When she dies, his ashes will be buried with her.

Nancy, hope your doggie will be okay.

Rhonda, did a quick check on that diet. Sounds too restrictive for me. I don't eat a lot of meat either. I was holding my weight and then got serious and started tracking and have gained 2 lbs. What the heck (no double hockey sticks, lol). So, I am lost on what to do.

Maryann, hope your finger gets back to normal soon.

Sandra, wish I had a pool here. Used to have one in Florida and never used it. Sounds like you are having fun.

Vickie, you seem pretty busy these days. Stop and smell the roses.

Paula, congrats on your 2 lb loss. Wish I could say the same.

ems, hope things are well with you.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. My brain does not function well this early.
pam920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #27  
focused and aiming

Nancy, I hope Skipper is all right. You have found a great handy man to help. That's good news.

Rhonda, you know a lot of interesting folks. I hope your friend is helping you. You've been frustrated quite a while. Kudos for keeping at exercising.

JoJo, that sounds like what's called Goodwill over here. Dentures? lol

Today I'm meeting a gf from my youth. We'll do lunch and reminiscing. (sp?) Should be fun. Tomorrow? Back into the water!

Pun, are you here? Hop in and join us.

Maryann, it's good you're decluttering. We do that, too. It's amazing how stuff accumulates.

Vickie, are you in the water today?

Ems and Paula,

Did I mention I'm over 400 days sugar free? Life is good.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #28  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies

What a down pour we had last night along with thunder bummers. We're going to be in the low 70's today with the humidity gone. Guess where I'm heading, correct, down to the beach to get my walking done.

I'm going to open my windows & doors to get the fresh sea air indoors.TG we had some relief storm this weather.

Thanks I hope my fingers & hand go back to normal,but if the cortisone shot doesn't work I have to have hand surgery,in 4 weeks . TG I'll be a out patient,but I'm not going to have it done until my DD & DGC back home.

Have a great day
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #29  

Just a quick note before I head out to stained glass class.. I'll let you know more about the diet as I learn about it. I won't ever be vegetarian but can definitely eat a wider variety of protein sources and fewer carbohydrates. They took the carbohydrates down to 26% of the diet, quite a reduction from government recommendations.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 168.4/168.4/145

Height: 5'6

hi everyone i'm new to the forums and looking for some friends to chat with!

i'm from the jersey shore and i just started weight watchers yesterday. so far it seems easy enough to keep track of, especially since i have the app on my cell phone. has anyone else tried weight watchers? if so let me know how it worked for you please!
kristia117 is offline   Reply With Quote