Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-19-2004, 06:58 PM   #16  
Meg

This, my dear Pookie, is my inspiration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muscles.jpg (40.7 KB, 32954 views)
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:14 PM   #17  
Meg

Since Pookie likes pictures here's one more for ya!

Recognize the chickie in the photo?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i6FFPOFP97p.jpg (11.5 KB, 1390 views)
Old 02-19-2004, 07:35 PM   #18  
Meg

Pookie! That's a real photo, taken in 1952, by Philippe Halsman.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:41 PM   #19  
VOW
Vegan for Health!

Pookie:

The band CAN slip, but this event is not necessarily linked to strenuous exercise. It has more to do with the skill of the surgeon who places the band, the type of anchoring which is done, AND the compliance of the patient in the weeks immediately following the surgery.

The current surgical protocol to anchor the band is to bring the BOTTOM of the stomach up over the band, and putting in a couple of stitches. This creates a "sleeve" from which it is VERY difficult to slip the band. Then, the patient must comply with the liquid-semiliquid-mushy solids diet so the anchoring will heal properly. You can screw things up royally by trying to eat too much too soon, and vomiting.

~VOW
VOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:51 PM   #20  
Hang In There

Worked out with my trainer for 1 hour, then did the water aerobics class that is Pilates in the water. Sorta wierd, but fun.

My trainer is a cute guy named Jason who is just as cute as can be, the only problem is he seems more like my sons! And like my sons he sometimes telly me more than I really want to know. He is engaged and is getting married in April. He and his SO are in the process of going to per-nupitial CHRISTIAN counseling. he was telling me about some of the things the counselor told them and some of the books they gave them to read. He said of course they headed right for the sex books. The one he was reading was called Sheet Music and the one she was reading was called Sex Starts in the Kitchen. After we finished exercising, I really mad him blush I said " Jason. I can't help but to keep thinking about the book Christina was reading. Does it recommend you start crammed up against the fridge, or on the kitchen table" I'm not really sure he appreciated my humor.

The whole premise with Oxycise, if I understand it correctly is by getting more oxygen to your muscles, it helps them to burn fat quicker. It may be all hype and just a scam, but the isometric exercises you do while you are doing the controlled breathing are fairly easy and I can do it for about two weeks and really tell a difference in my clothes. I loose inches.
SO WHY DON"T I DO IT???
I have great intentions, but find myself finding all sorts of excuses to skip a day or two, then three, ......
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:54 PM   #21  

I would write more but Meg said to drop and give her 20 and I'm still stuck on number one. Vow....what number are you on?

seriously though, my weight is not moving and I will be grateful for the little guy FINALLY going back to school on Monday so I will get on the tread mill.

peach
peach pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:42 PM   #22  
Old Cackler

<banging my head against the wall and alternating between laughing my A&& off and CRYING>

should i just go ahead and start ANOTHER EXERCISE THREAD??????
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 11:19 PM   #23  

This thread has been and education new things to look up
Vow the Seitan simmered in the Mole sauce sounds tasty. Guess I may have to look for this in the healthfood section.
Now things to look up-- elipitical, ozycise--- new and interesting exercise.
Gosh did I say that? Exercise being interesting? It must be the weight loss, I would never even think of trying. Now I try, I even have to push myself-- but I do it
Now after reading what you guys do, I need to increase it by about 10 times!
Does it ever get easier? I really do hate to exercise!!
Ditzy Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 11:32 PM   #24  

Well, gee, I was going to exercise but now I am hungry. Not sure if I could handle cinnamon, chocolate and something like chicken but...could always try it!! Just kiddin.
Great site, don't bang too hard Jiffy! Must go do my elliptical! Have a great cooking/eating/exercising/lifting week everyone!

Jenaya
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:05 AM   #25  

I'm still pre-op 29 days to go. I've been walking 3-5 times per week. Average 2 1/2 -5 miles and since 1/10 have lost 16 lbs. I have been required to lose 20 before surgery and I'm almost there. I've been doing protein drinks, 2 a day and eating 3 meals a day, but only lean protein and veggies haven't missed the carbs.
smtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:16 AM   #26  
Livin' La Vida Loca

Hi kids!
Interesting thread -- 'specially if you like to EAT!

I've been walking an hour a day -- slow and easy, 'bout three miles an hour. I had been trying to force myself up to higher intensities, but I dreaded it so badly (plus having some lower back and knee problems) -- I was skipping my workout a LOT -- that I decided that going slower 4 or 5 days a week is probably better than killing myself once a week.

I've also been doing some free weights; just arms for now -- again nothing spectacular; but a couple of times a week. And some crunches. And some stretching.

Oh, and standing in the bathroom looking in the mirror and making faces at myself -- sure to give me a NON-surgical face lift! (I just flashed on the image of my MOM standing in the bathroom doing exactly the same thing at my age.) Now if I could just remember where I put that rubber ball thing that was guaranteed to miraculously remove my double chin...

Nice yakkin' atcha!

Sooner
Sooner or Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 06:43 AM   #27  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Nope Jiff Laughing is good for you too!

I did my WO last night and I am dressed and ready to go when I come back form taking the kids to school......
Peach are you still on the floor?
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:09 AM   #28  

Yep, I'm still on the floor, L!
I am looking for Sooner's rubber ball. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

peach
peach pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:18 AM   #29  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

(giving peach a hand up)

got 40 min into my WO, got a call from the ped's office older boy has strep!
Back to school to get him, I have to finish my WO but looks like I have ALL DAY!
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 05:00 PM   #30  
Meg

Helloooo .... <echo> <echo> <echo>

Mighty quiet around this thread today, ladies!

(Peachie, you can get up now )

Everyone must still be and !

What'd y'all do today to move and groove? I only did 15 minutes on the bike 'cause my poor behind is sore from lunges yesterday . Also did a back workout: lat pulldowns, seated cable rows, bent-over BB rows and cable pullovers.

How 'bout the rest of y'uns? (that's Pittsburgh talk for da rest of youse guys )
And Jif, banging your head against the wall does NOT count as cardio!