Welcome New LC Chicks!

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Hi everyone!!

I'm new to this board but not to LC. I'd love to join you all!

I'm a 42 year old married SAHM and have been LCing on and off for 3 years. I originally lost 64 lbs, but illness, meds and lack of motivation led to gaining back 40 of those pounds. I'm back on track and have lost 18 lbs so far.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!!

Rose
  • Welcome to 3fatchicks, Rose, and to the Low Carb Lifestyles Forum.

Are you following a particular plan? We are on a variety of plans here so there's lots of information and support. Please join in on any of the threads. We're a pretty friendly group!
  • Thanks for the warm welcome, Ruth!
    I am on Atkins. I have tried other LC plans in the past but I always seem to come back to it. I'm having a hard time with too many legal treats, so I may go on the '72 Atkins plan for a couple of weeks to get my cravings in order.
    I feel like I need a fresh start.
  • Hello everyone I'm new I started low carb 10 days ago, This is my 3rd post. I started under buddy. How do you guys get those cute little pictures out to the side? I need some suggestions on some new snacks. If i eat another pork skin or sunflower seed i might pass out!!! I also need to what good vitamine i can take. PLEASE HELP
    SW218 CW212 GW140
  • Hi Evettee! I'm new too. Just joined the group this week. There's a place on the main page that has recipes that sound pretty good and low carb. I'd try there - I'm definitely going to! I started low carb at the end of March and have lost about 10lbs so far. In the last 2-1/2 weeks though the scale hasn't moved. That was when I started working out though, so hopefully I'll have a little movement soon. As for the cute pictures on the side, I haven't figured that out yet either. Let me know if you do!
  • HI, Love i did look at some of the recipes and they were interesting. I tried shirmp scampi yesterday and it was wonderful. I have not weighed in 5 days so i can't wait till tomorrow to see if i've lost any more weight. I just can't believe that its actually comming off. I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and someone was looking in the low fat section next to me they advised me to only stick with the low-carb a few months then try something different because she has heard of many health problems that it could cause if you stick with it too long. So i'll take that in consideration. I have also started posting in April Chick so check that out. GOod luck. It look like you have really done well with your weight. How long have you been at it?
  • Hi Evette! I went through a divorce about 4 years ago and have slowly been losing it since then. I was one of those "unhappy so ya eat" kinda girls. The divorce was a really good thing for me. I initially lost about 25 pounds then have slowly lost more since then. It was one of those things where I wasn't trying, but now that I am trying, I've only lost 10 and it seems much harder. Probably more mental than anything. In the last couple weeks the scale has been stuck, so I'm just trying to exercise a little longer each time. We'll see.

On the low-carb recipes I tried the fluff last night and it was really good. The pancake one was really good too. I have to be careful though, they were both kinda hard to stop eating.

Keep me posted on how you're doing and I'll do the same. I think I'm going to make Thursdays my weigh day (at least for reporting purposes).

Take care and thanks for the reply!

Good for you for only weighing once a week. I can't stop the habit of several times a day. I need to though, I'm way too hung up on what the darn thing says.
  • Welcome! So nice to have you join us! We have a weekly chat thread that we post about our daily lives and give/get support diet and otherwise - please feel free to join us! Please also start a thread with any questions you may have - if you post them here they might get lost.

Please jump right in and join us so we may get to know each other better!

Kel
  • Thanks! You guys are all so great and supportive. What inspirations too!
  • Hi, Love Be patient the weight will start to come off again soon. Sorry to hear of your divorce, good or bad any life changing situation is differcult. I'm really surprised how good i'm doing on this low-carb diet. Before the diet you could not pay me to drink a diet sode or use sweet-n-low.But now i'm so suprised how good diet sunkist and diet cherry 7-up tastes. And Splenda is wonderful. I'm almost losing all craving for sweets. My biggest things is exerciseing. I set up my tread-mill yesterday and walked for 15 minutes i almost died! My main goal is to lose 50lbs by my birthday and that 5 months away. I just keep remembering that i didn't put this weight on overnight therefore its going to take a while to get off. ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!Most of all I just want to take control of my life, I feel like this weight has stopped me from doing alot of things, from being the person i want to be or that i am. This time its going to work,SO never give up and keep on pushing.
  • Hello!

I am new to the board as well. I've posted in Buddy's, but came in search of some low carbers! I have been on the carb addict’s plan since Jan 2002.

Let me back up a little. I have been heavy/overweight/fat my whole life. I was a binger. I could eat a full dinner then sneak away to my room for a box (not a couple, or a stack) of cookies. Finally I hit a peak weight of 351 and thought I was going to die--I had pains in my left arm and went to the emergency room. Turned out to be a pulled muscle, but it was an eye opener.

I started seeing a nutritionist and lost about 50 pounds on a low cal/fat diet. But the binging never stopped—slowed down a little, but I was still a sneaky eater. I didn't know what it was like to have a bag of candy in the house, because once everyone went to bed, I would finish it off. The embarrassment and guilt was horrible.

Slowly my weight started to creep back up. Every Monday morning I would wake up and say "this is the week--I'm going to control my eating", but my Tuesday night I was stuffing a handful of goldfish crackers into my mouth while I was cooking dinner. Then another. And another.

One weekend I found a copy of the Carb Addicts diet. I read it and thought, what the hey. It can't hurt to try it, so I did. And amazingly the binges stopped. The first year I was on it, I lost 70 pounds. I only ate carbs at night (in a one hour frame) and made sure to eat veggies and protein at lunch. It was amazing. I used to eat a 6in subway sub, chips and a drink (and even a cookie) and still feel like I could eat another sub. Now, eating a grilled turkey burger with cheese and some steamed veggies filled me up for the whole afternoon! Things were great.

Then I got into the habit of oreo cookies and milk after dinner. I bought individual packs to try to limit myself, but I found that one wasn't enough, so I'd have two. (I think I missed the part of the carb addict's plan about balance and moderation!). Actually, I knew about moderation, but the cravings would be so strong after I had the first cookie that I couldn’t help myself. Anway, I ended up plateauing for about a year. I was still exercising occasionally, so my weight didn't go up to much, but after the holidays I noticed the scale moving up.

So January of this year, in addition to the carb addict plan, I started writing everything down that I eat and watching my calories. I don't have a magic calorie #, but I try to stay in a range. I still don't eat carbs during the day and limit myself to an hour of carbs at night. I try to eat carrots, black beans, whole-wheat toast, fiber cereal, etc. as my carbs--along with protein and fat at night. I stay away from the oreos, but don't deny myself the occasional Skinny-cow ice cream sandwich or birthday cake!

So that’s where I am now. I’ve lost about 25 pounds this year. I lose more the less I eat and the more I exercise. Easy to say. Hard to do. But I’m trying!

Thanks for reading if you’ve made it this far! I’m glad to have found this group. I’m looking forward to getting to you all!
  • tied to the scale!
    Quote: Good for you for only weighing once a week. I can't stop the habit of several times a day. I need to though, I'm way too hung up on what the darn thing says.
    Love2-

I know just what you mean about getting hung up on the scale! I started out weighing myself everyday then taking a weekly average. But then I got hung up on the daily weigh. I usually jumped on the scale right when I got up, but then I found out that I usually weighed less after I was up for a while. And even less after I exercised! Or more after I ate/drank something. I wound up weighing myself several times a day--"just to see". It got out of hand!

I have a feeling that the once a week weigh-in is probably the best for me, but I feel like I need to know how I'm doing throughout the week as a motivator, you know? But a high weight day (which I know from previous experience could just be a fluctuation!) can ruin my mood.
  • Hi Avery- wow, it sounds like you're doing great with CALP. That is a plan I like a lot, it is very "do-able" for many people. And aren't you smart to have the healthy carbs for your reward meal...Someone who used to post here used to call it the "Happy Meal!"

Come on and check in on the dated thread titled "Low Carb Daily, week of..." Folks might be doing moderate, maintenece, or just personal versions of other plans. I like Atkins, but shift around a lot!

Nice to meet you-
    dottie
  • Dottie-

I agree on the "do-able" part. The reward or happy meal (I love that!) was a motivator for me. It was easy to pass up the co-worker's birthday cake at work or bowl of halloween candy, if I thought "I can have it tonight if I want!". I think for me, *allowing* myself to eat without feeling guilty was a big part!

• Hello! I'm new to the Board.
    Hello Everyone!
    My name is Yvonne. I'm 45, married. I'm working on losing 30-40 lbs. I live in S. Calif. I work, I'm in school (distance learning program) an church involvement. I'm very glad that I found this forum . I too am (have been) following low carb. The Curves plan is what I have been working with. I've found it much easier than Atkins (personally). I have lost the initial 10 lbs during the induction. Somehow I've gotten off track here and there . What I've noticed for me is that I'm not sure if I need to eat a certain amount of protein, even if my carb count is still low for the day. Also, I have not been consistent with any exercise . Right now, I am bordering off and on. I don't like 'straddling' the fence. I do feel horrible after eating too many carbs on the days that I am not focused . I had a buddy (in town) but she is not focused. So, I thought I would find a forum for accountability and friendship .
    I'm trying to find a balance on maintaining a routine. I will use one of those programs that aids with food intake and activities. But in the meantime, I welcome your posts. I will make sure I am here often to keep updated and give account for myself.
    Thank you for your wonderful encouragements that I have read .
    Yvonne