Getting out of the 300's

You're on Page 6 of 35
Go to
  • Looks like we're all making progress. I hit 310.0 today (not an official weigh in day) but I'm hoping to get into the 30somethings by next week.

I don't see a 290's thread so we will have to pioneer one in the not tooo distant future!
  • Yay, rodeogirl!! I remember hitting the 3-oh numbers and was beside myself with excitement! I am positive you will get there this week!! Just tell Nate you need his help!
  • Oh Nate will give me a talking to if I don't make it.

He's very blunt and honest but that's what I love about him.
  • He better be nice to you or Fred is coming over to put him in line!
  • No change today, but I did get back into the pool! Feel so much better!
  • It's weird how Nate and friends (our scales) sometimes go up, sometimes don't move, and thankfully sometimes go down.

When I first started losing weight I got discouraged every time the scale went up. Then I learned that often when fat is burning you retain more water and then get the wonderful woosh! so now when the scale goes up I don't even care as long as I'm on plan.
  • Quote: When I first started losing weight I got discouraged every time the scale went up. Then I learned that often when fat is burning you retain more water and then get the wonderful woosh! so now when the scale goes up I don't even care as long as I'm on plan.
    I was so good in the beginning, never looked at my scale. Followed my plan, saw my doctor's office every Monday to get weighed. Then...one day...I told myself to check the scale. And that's been every day for at least 4 months. I don't record it or use my home weight for anything, just to look.

What I find interesting is I never lose before Friday (I weigh in on Mondays). The scale will go up or stay the same but I never ever lose anything before Friday and I don't know why. Maybe it's because I exercise longer and harder on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday. But then the little woosh comes by Friday and it's enough to keep me on plan through the weekend for Monday's weigh-in. Scales rule so many people's lives, I thought I'd never be one! Surprise lol!
  • Weighing in in the morning is so motivating for me that I definitely plan to keep weighing in at home. I won't see the doctor again for a few months - I can't wait to see how it changed from my last blood draw!
  • Rodeogirl, you're so close! Congrats. I weighed myself this morning and was up a pound (PMS) so I've decided not to step on the scale again until the end of the month lol. Because I just started about 2 weeks ago, idk how I would handle like a 3-5 lb water weight gain so, I just want to be none the wiser lol.

Elvislover, you give the best advice! I totally creep on what you're saying when I feel discouraged. It's really great to have someone who has been there and succeeded helping out.
  • Sunday -

You have to do what's best for you but I found that weighing every day helped as long as I tracked it. What I learned was that it's totally normal to go up and down. So after awhile the going up didn't bother me unless it changed the direction of the overall line on the graph. I think trying to pretend the going up doesn't happen or avoiding thinking about it might actually make things worse.

My $0.02 anyhow.
  • I weigh everyday as well and only count it on Sundays. If I'm up a bit then I remember to drink more water that day and less salt or little tweaks here and there. Last night my husband and I took a kid-less night and had a date night at home with chinese food, cheesecake and some movies. I was a little iffy but my weigh was at 320.8 this morn, so if I didn't have that I wonder. I'lll have to wait until next week.

Friday I worked through my program with the trainer. It felt great to get back to it and I hadn't been to the gym in awhile. I knew they got new equipment but wow it was all so new and worked great! It'll take some getting used to but I think I might love the ABT or whatever it's called (elliptical stepper).

I hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend. Please bare with me as I haven't really been on the boards (any boards really except facebook) in three years and have to get used to replying to everyone again. I just want to like everything!
  • Quote: Elvislover, you give the best advice! I totally creep on what you're saying when I feel discouraged. It's really great to have someone who has been there and succeeded helping out.
    OMG, this just totally made my day! Thank you, Sunday115!!! I really hesitate posting some things some days as I feel like I don't word things right. But then I remember, my heart is always in the right place and I want so much to pay it all forward. The help I have received on this forum has helped me exceed my expectations and get on the road to a healthy life.

You have no idea how happy I was to read that.
  • Elvislover, I'm glad it made your day! And everyone else, I couldn't avoid the scale, so much as I said I was going to, and I"m down another pound! I also took all of my mesurements yesterday, and found an old notebook from HS with measurements when I had tried to lose weight when I was 16. I started out 80 lbs heavier, but now I know what size I'll be when I get to 250 haha! I continued in the notebook right where I left off almost 5 years later to the day, by coincidence.
  • I'm all for a 290's thread, sister!!!! I probably won't be there until late April/early May but I'll be there :P

My two cents to everyone discussing this: On the topic of weighing in every day - I think it takes a certain degree of mental toughness. You have to realize you may have gained, seemingly for no reason, and just deal with it. Fluctuations are normal. For some people, it completely breaks their spirit and if I was coaching someone like that I wouldn't let them weigh in more than 1 time a week. I have weighed in every day in March and half way through the month I've lost 6 lbs making this one of my more successful months. I am less likely to eat something I shouldn't when I know I'm stepping on the scale in the AM. Weighing in every day I've also seen what causes me to gain mini gains - 100% of the time so far- eating out. It makse me excited to wake up and step on the scale, knowing I did a good day yesterday, and then seeing a .2 or .4 loss is motivating to do well for the current day! Really that's all you have to do, be good today, and strive to be good tomorrow... do that a million times and you are set I know a lot of you know that, but that's my point.

Also I change my ticker a bit more frequently than official weigh ins - mostly if I'm excited about a big loss, but I don't add gains unless it sticks for more than a week - then it's officially a gain in my book. haha
  • You guys are all great!

I had a nice NSV yesterday - I've been trying on a pair of pants I'd discovered I couldn't fit into 3 weeks ago. I couldn't even DREAM of buttoning them then. A few days ago I was closer, and yesterday they buttoned up.

My first thought was "well trying them on so much you stretched them out." Which is the opposite of "why are my clothes shrinking - stupid dryer"

LOL it's not the clothes that are changing...it's me! Pretty funny how I blame/give credit to my clothes and not myself.