40-something Valentine's Day Challenge

You're on Page 5 of 10
Go to
  • Yesterday: More of the same. It's starting to become rote, which is good. Change my habits, change my life, change my body.

Challenges: With the rote, comes complacency. Must not get complacent. That leads to calorie creep. Still trying to get more water in me. I struggle with that.

Today: Focus on Today, get through Today. My family is back from the beach and DDs start back to school on Monday. That will mean getting my workout in as soon as I walk in the door so I can help with homework. I didn't know I was going to have to go back through the fourth grade...

Nat That's great progress. Nothing like success to help keep you motivated.

ilsita Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.
  • Interesting that other folks are also having sleep issues. I was watching TV last night, and decided to check the clock after the last show to determine if I wanted to go to bed yet - it was 1:30am! I really though that maybe it was 11:00pm. I was that untired sort of tired - which is where I am almost every night lately. I wake up feeling like I could sleep another 5 or 6 hours.

I also have this underlying annoying cold that I can't get rid of. It doesn't stop me from doing my daily tasks, but I am constantly stuffy, headachey, and have a mild sore throat.

My goal is to stay on plan tonight and over the weekend, when we will be seeing friends. Every weekend is such a challenge. I make a big effort not to eat white refined sugars and flours during the week, but I cheat on the weekends quite often.

Good luck, everyone!
  • New Attitude
    Good Morning All-

I changed plans 2 days ago. I felt like I was starving. All I thought about ALL DAY was food. Seriously, watching the clock to see when I could eat again. I was feeling like such a wuss (feeling like i had no willpower).

I am soooo happy I found a plan that took into account that being a stay at home mom isn't a sedentary job! We need fuel, too. I don't sit on my butt all day and watch TV (though if I did that would be ok too) I do house repair, yardwork, general maintenance, along with the OTHER house stuff too. These things burn calories and should be calculated into the daily totals. Ok enough ranting..sorry.

I am NOT hungry AND I am not drinking coffee as an appetite suppressant . I think this will be a permanent change for me not "just until I reach my goal weight) I have been on DIEts for the last 40 years. I really want to live the rest of my life without the guilt and obsessive behaviour that I have developed these past 40 years. So far (yeah I know 2 days) it feels different.

Thanks for letting me share.

Julie
  • Hope it's not too late to join.

I started my life style change on 1-9-11 and one of my mini goals is to be down 10 lbs. by 2-13-11. Which amounts to 2 lbs per week. I know that may be a lot, but I know I have to have good results the first few weeks to stay motivated. I purchased a Body Bugg & so far am loving it & it's working pretty well.

So my goals for this challenge are:

Take vitamins daily
    Log all my food
    Maintain a daily calorie deficeit
    Try to support others
    And of course lose that 10 pounds

As of 1-16-11 I was 1.8 down
    18% there
  • HI everybody.

I';m finally on track with my eating plan. It has been a few days. Went to the diner last night and I usually share a giant Napolean with my friend but I refused to share it with her last night, she ordered it for herself. It was hard not having any and watching her eat it but I keep thinking about how my jeans literally HURT on my hips and at this rate I will have no clothes that will fit me.

I bought the Ten Minute Trainer and pathetic me haven't done the workouts yet. I know I need to punch things up a bit, I just feel really overwhelmed.

I feel so motivated reading all these posts.....hang in there everybody.
  • Hi everyone

I think Im going to add a new goal, to hike once a week. I went this morning and it was really beautiful. Im sorry for the cold and rain some of you are dealing with, I know come summer you all will be needing to help me thru.

I meditated a little bit on my hike but it was hard with people passing so I am still going to do my 10 min sometime this evening. Other than that, just going to take it easy, talk to a friend for a little while, who said she needed to talk and not sure what else, probably read my book that I can't seem to put down. Mellow Friday night for me.

Welcome Kandd, not too late at all. I started my New Year, New Me close to when you did, I think I started on 1-4-12. Hoping to make some great changes in this 2012

Zumba Ive always wanted to try Zumba... good job on not giving in to the Napolean!
  • Hey there

Just wanted to post that I did some meditation tonight. Was still pretty tough to sit but easier than the last time

Gnight friends
  • Yesterday, what went well:nothing, really

Challenges: My son was sick, so I worked form home and took care of him. He was up and down all day..he'd feel better, then worse..meanwhile my office was being extremely demanding and pinging me all day with ridiculous requests. I ate about 2100 calories(estimate because I ate a bunch of trail mix at the end of the day that I didn't measure) and got no exercise in. No vitamins either. Just stressed and didn't handle it well.

Today: It's snowing here, so no run outside..hopefully tomorrow. Had been planning on a dinner out, but may wait until my son is 100%. We were supposed to be at a chess tournament all day, but it was canceled, so I should be able to get to the gym and do some cardio at some point.

shining, your hike sounds awesome - I am jealous. Winter has finally hit Long Island these last few weeks.

zumba, great to see you - so glad things are going well with your plan.

kand, fantastic goals. Welcome to 3fc!!

tlt, glad you found a plan that's working for you.

guac, I have the same kind of symptoms. I don't know if it's allergies or what. Like you say it's not debilitating, just always there.

andrew, so wonderful that this has become rote for you - that's the key. All this stuff we have to do isn't going away once we hit goal.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
  • Hi there

Just wanted to post today to help me stay on track. Im really tired today. I had to be up early for a meeting this morning and I didnt get enough sleep. So I came home from the meeting at 1030 and thought.... maybe I should have some chocolate almonds.... That's my thinking for ya... Its also my day off of exercise this week... so that is no reason to cheat either... So I paused and just crawled back in bed to try to take a little nap. Its kinda cold and cloudy here today anyway... good for a nap... I didnt end up sleeping, I just read and talked on the phone a bit, but I rested and now the craving has passed. I can still have some later if I really still want a few, but i think its a great idea not to have had them for breakfast... lol or post breakfast snack....

Natamars, sorry ur day was tough ystrdy. Its hard when plans change and not to react to stress with food. I can relate. Good for you for posting here and getting the support today. I am having a conversation this afternoon with a good friend of mine and Im nervous about it. We have had some miscommunication lately and are trying to resolve it. So Im going to stay in a healthy frame of mind and with my food too.

Best wishes to everyone today
  • Happy Saturday!

I ate crap last night. Popcorn (popped in oil -- I didn't add butter but ate a whole pile of it) and had a little ice cream. But, I'm fighting my instincts to feel terrible about it, especially because I know that leads to flouncing off in discouraged huff and it will be several months before I try again. I was consistent for 2 weeks, lost 3 pounds so far, and today I'm back on plan. The momentum is still forward.

shining, I think I can get a TV down there. I'll see if I can get that hooked up. So glad to hear you're making progress with your meditation.

Today's goals: Track, stay in range, elliptical or zumba (seriously!).

Challenge: Weekends at home with my sweetie are a challenge, food-wise. He loves to cook (does it for a living, in fact!) and really needs to eat high calorie because he's skinny. Lately, he's been having some major dental work done, so he's not eating enough and is losing weight that he cannot really afford to lose. His rings are falling off. So, finding a way to get extra calories into him while staying on plan myself will be interesting.

Kandd, I got a bodybugg last year and really liked it. There is something about wearing it that makes you want to move around. It's awesome. I'll think about getting started with that again... I just hate paying a monthly membership for it.

nat, I hope your kiddo is feeling better!
  • Hi Friends,

On this snowy weekend I am trying hard to get my eating and my emotions under control. Someone told me today that food to her means love and she turns to it all the time for that reason. How sad is that? Shouldn't we have someone love us enough so that we don't have to resort to food to love us? I suggested she adopt an animal that will love us unconditionally as long as we feed and take care of it......and if it is a dog she can take it out for a walk or a run and get some exercise...think outside the box to get what you are craving in life......a bowl of ice cream is not going to give you a hug, it doesn't talk back and it won't come to your funeral to pay its respects. Get PEOPLE that you love in trust in your life, not food.

Okay that was my Sunday sermon for today.

I have been able to stick to my diet so far this weekend, hope I can keep it up. Protein, vegetables and salad....No carbs....so far so good, I already feel a bit less bloated and gross. A teeny bit......After that time of the month comes and goes today I hope to have lost a few more.......

Ilsita, popcorn isnt' that bad a choice....especially since you didn't put butter on it....don't let that be the reason you fail. You collapsed , you conquered. Have your sweetie drink some shakes for extra calories......make them with ice cream and protein powder, whole milk. We did this for a friend when they were losing weight after chemo, it was easy to get down and it helped.

Shining...late night munchies are when we are more apt to fail.....keep away from the chocolate almonds, although almonds are a good source of protein and there are worse choices.....

Nat..enjoying being snowed in? It actually isn't too bad, but enough to make me want to stay in today and hibernate.

Ihope to get some of my ten minute training DVD done today.
  • Had my off plan meal last night - 2 slices of Grandma pizza and a big salad with real dressing. delicious. What I hadn't counted on was eating 5 or 6 of my homemade chocolate chip cookies(Zumba, that's how I dealt with the snow! My son was sick and not up to playing outside, and the cookies cheered him up). I also never made it to the gym.

I got a late start today, and ended up grabbing a whole wheat bagel with light veggie cream cheese(I asked the guy to use half the regular amount), which was my breakfast and lunch. I'm waiting for my running clothes to come out of the drier and I'm going for a run outside..looks like the road is just wet at this point.

zumba, you're doing really well - we can do this!

ilsita, that doesn't sound bad at all! Not sure if you weigh ion every day but if you had salt with the popcorn you may want to hold off a few days.

shining, good for you for working through that craving!! I LOVE any kind of chocolate covered nuts.
  • Challenges: I had 5 days or so that I had no motivation. I got REALLY close to being under 150, and then I sort of lost it. I did not log my food and I found million reasons why not to get my walks in....

Motivation:
    Finally my DH literally dragged me out of the house for a walk. I was not happy because we had so much snow and it was hard! -- So kept saying...just think of that bikini you are going to wear! -- We talked some more and I said I need some shorter term goals. -- I decided to pull out an outfit I have wanted to wear for a long time and hang that up for me to see it each day; My reward; once I would fit in it, we would do a REALLY nice dinner out.... So I got home pulled it out and for kicks decided to try it on, and by gosh it zipped up! I was so amazed. I pulled out more size 8's and some of the jeans fit me great! -- So I got my motivation back.

Today: We hiked through snowy terrain for 5.2 miles at 4 mph. I was dead tired afterwards but happy, happy

I hope everyone is having an OP weekend and staying healthy!

Today:
  • Good: I ended the day at 1085 calories. Walked .8 miles, jogged 2.4

Bad: Only one piece of banana in terms of fruit and veggies. I am supposed to do my long run on the weekends, but it's been so cold that I'm not lasting long.

How I will handle: I have all my food packed here at work, so I know today will be better nutrition-wise. The weather is supposed to be warmer next weekend..if not, I will have to do my long run on the treadmill.

Sum, that sounds like a great workout - way to go!
  • Weekend: I did well for the most part, but my schedule on Saturday was weird since I had dinner at the in-laws. I saved up most of my calories for that since I knew it would be one of those dinners. It actually was fairly healthy, it was the adult beverages that got me. I did use diet soda as a mixer so it wasn't too out of hand. But I enjoyed it and it was fun. Now to get back on track.

Challenges: DDs start back to school today and I'll have to get back on to that schedule and get my workouts worked in. I haven't missed a workout yet and have remained healthy, which is nice. (knock on wood).

Today: Focus on today, get through today. Run tonight, Eat on plan.