Did you notice your first 5?

• I just hit my first 5 lbs gone. And I was super excited when the scale hit two days in a row of being down 5. But I don't SEE a difference. I started at 175.5 and am now 170 even. Is it normal not to physically notice a 5 lb loss? It's kinda discouraging.
  • It's always hard to feel/see the first few pounds being lost, but the scale doesn't lie

As more pounds come off, you'll definitely notice a difference! When I first lose weight, I definitely feel my clothes are a tiny bit looser, and I just have more energy. It's always hard in the beginning, but hang in there - you'll definitely notice the results soon. And, you can always measure yourself with a tape measurer to see if you lost inches as well.
  • yeah, i think the first 5 are hard to see... after 10 you definitely start to see a difference though! although sometimes it's so minimal it feels like it's just in your head. haha. but don't let it bring you down! 5 pounds is awesome!
  • I didn't FULLY start to notice any difference until about 20lbs in. Keep at it!
  • I didn't notice the first 5...in fact I don't think I really noticed anything until the first 10, and then suddenly I saw myself as a substantially smaller person and wanted to parade around in skimpy outfits.
  • I definitely didn't notice the first five - but while you can, I would totally take some pictures! Just basic ones of your face, body, front on/side on etc - I regret not doing this as while I know I'm a lot smaller now being that I'm about 42 pounds down, I have no visuals - and I feel these would really help on the days when I just feel huge again...
    Hang in there though! You'll start to notice things soon
  • I didn't notice my first 5 pounds as far as changes in my looks but I felt it!
  • I agree with rainbowstripe- Take pictures! I didn't notice it on myself until about 20 pounds gone. All of my weight is in one place and having pictures helped a whole lot. The change was slow but now I can really see a difference.

Hey and it's 5 pounds gone forever- WOO HOO!
  • Quote: I didn't notice the first 5...in fact I don't think I really noticed anything until the first 10, and then suddenly I saw myself as a substantially smaller person and wanted to parade around in skimpy outfits.
    Yep same here. Now I'm down 20 and look great! I can't wait for the last 20 to be gone!
  • I definitely didn't notice the first five. Within recent months I've lost 16 pounds altogether (gained 7 back over the holidays) and didn't notice a difference until I had lost about 10. That's also when I started getting compliments from people around me that I looked like I was losing weight. I think it would be hard for most people to notice a 5-pound weight loss, so don't get discouraged! Keep going and you'll begin to see the changes.
  • Catahoula, my weight (beginning, etc.) is very similar to yours. Eventhough my "official" weigh in day for myself is not until Thursday, I weigh every day and today I was 165 - which means I have lost 6 pounds. I don't notice it either!! "Maybe" the pants I have on today are a tiny bit less snug...but I don't "see" it. But I'll keep plugging away - knowing that I eventually WILL see it!!
  • I really didn't notice anything until I hit 30 lb... but I wasn't really looking for changes 'cause I feared I'd be disappointed.
  • I didnt notice it either, I usually pay attention to my pants beause that is a tangible cue for me. I really cant see where the weight is coming off from, I still feel really heavy.
  • I agree, take pictures! Especially if you lose all over, because it is pretty hard to notice. When I look at pictures I can see how everything is getting proportionally smaller
  • I'm right there with the other girls. I knew I had lost a lot of weight but it wasn't until I was 165 that I realized it. (I started at 200) I think its a mental thing. Also we see our body everyday so we see the slow change from pound to pound. Does that make sense? I also wish I would have taken pictures!