Difficulty eating enough while dieting?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So, crazy question. Does anyone else sometimes struggle with eating enough while dieting? I am a calorie counter, and sometimes struggle to eat 1200 calories. I eat 4-5 smaller meals and don't feel hungry until bedtime? Maybe because salad isn't as fun as the bad stuff and I just chronically overate because I wasn't thinking of it?
  • YES, OMG yes, I have a 1400 calorie limit for the day and eat several small meals a day, I always eat under 1400 calories and was concerned especially now that i have started working out at the gym. I don't feel any adverse affects and the weight is falling off but as time moves along I will need to stay on top of this
  • Yes, me too. Part of the difficulty is that I've decided not to eat starches after lunch, and I now don't eat anything processed; so by the time I get to the evening meal it often doesn't use up all my calories.
    I often chuck in a small chunk of cheese in the evening, to boost my calories. I've still got a long way to go, so I try to keep my calories up around the 1400.
  • Nope. not me. I am very often hungry. But I have accepted that on occassion, I am just going to get hungry.

What I have noticed, though, is that I could sit down to a bit bowl of salsa con queso (which velveeta) and pretzels and eat until I could explode... but I can't do that with veggies. Why is it I can eat and eat and eat if it is garbage, but when it somes to something healthy, I do have an automatic shut off valve? I would love to know if there is just something in the way our bodies digest garbage vs. veggies, etc.?
  • I totally agree with you SCraver! The healthy stuff is so easy to "limit" but the "bad" yet oh so good stuff makes me a bottomless pit!
  • I wish I had that problem! I weigh 132 and I can eat as much as my husband who weighs 230! LOL And I pretty much always feel like I could eat. Maybe I have a fast metabolism or something...
  • Personally, from everything I've read, I've concluded that Starvation Mode is a myth. So I strongly believe that people should just focus on eating healthy and until they're full and not worry so much about the calories. (Unless you think you're overeating!)

When I eat unhealthy things (cookies, chips, chocolate, cake) then I have a very hard time staying "in" my budget and still feeling satisfied. But when I eat healthy... I find it difficult to eat what others would consider "enough". So I just eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm not, and the world keeps on spinning. Why force yourself if you're REALLY not hungry any longer?
  • Thanks everyone for their input.

Vulpix, your comment is helpful. I wonder about starvation mode being a myth. Sometimes, I am really hungry and feel done after finishing 3/4 of my dinner and feel I need to force myself to eat the rest so I have enough calories. (Also, I grew up with the mentality that I "had to finish everything on my plate")
  • Quote: So, crazy question. Does anyone else sometimes struggle with eating enough while dieting? I am a calorie counter, and sometimes struggle to eat 1200 calories. I eat 4-5 smaller meals and don't feel hungry until bedtime? Maybe because salad isn't as fun as the bad stuff and I just chronically overate because I wasn't thinking of it?
    Yes, yes, YES.

I bought a food scale even though I was afraid of doing it because I thought it would keep me hyper focused, and it's REALLY helped me continue to eat in my calorie range. I also had to cut salads completely out of my diet as a main course [lettuce based salads] because they were so low in calories.

I've started snacking all day on higher calorie snacks, homemade granola; raw sunflower seeds; nuts ... a small amount of these give you a good amount of calories. I try to plan out my breakfast, snacks and lunch and then I see how many calories I have left for dinner. If after dinner I'm still low, I choose another high calorie snack, and avocado, again some nuts, etc. This has REALLY helped me.

Another thing about not feeling hungry, I was like that too, especially because I drink a lot of tea which suppresses my appetite. So now, I try to plan a time I have a snack, actually I'm over due right now. So 10:30 snack, 12:00 lunch and 1:30 snack. Even if I'm not that hungry, I eat it.

By eating too low of calories you can very well stall your weight loss progress.
  • You know each person body is individual, we all react to our enviroment and what we consume differently. I think if you get to a certain low low weight then starvation mode does kick in but for the majority of us it probably not a problem
  • Quote: So, crazy question. Does anyone else sometimes struggle with eating enough while dieting? I am a calorie counter, and sometimes struggle to eat 1200 calories. I eat 4-5 smaller meals and don't feel hungry until bedtime? Maybe because salad isn't as fun as the bad stuff and I just chronically overate because I wasn't thinking of it?
    Because I eat fairly low-carb and higher-fat, I find that some days I'm satisfied with many fewer calories than I used to be. That's one of the reasons I aim for a range of calories, rather than a limit. I aim for 1400-1800 (and usually hit around 1600). But some days, I'm barely at 1200... and some days I am closer to 1900. So long as my weekly average is 1600 or below, I keep losing steadily, and I'm very seldom crazy-hungry or craving.

So long as you've got energy, are sleeping well, and feel healthy, I wouldn't worry about "not eating enough". The 1200 calorie cutoff for "too low" isn't cut in stone, especially if it's not a long-term thing. Now, if you were saying 800/day, over months and months... then I might be concerned. But 1200 is enough to keep you healthy.
  • If you want to add healthy calories to your diet without eating a ton it isn't hard: olive oil, peanut butter and other nut butters, nuts in general, avocado, etc. These and other low-volume, higher-calorie healthy foods are perfect for that.
    I might be reading between the lines but to me what I am hearing is that since eating salad isn't as fun as the bad stuff, you just haven't found healthy foods that really make your "salivate", right? I get tired of salads as well. This comes from chronic dieting for over two decades. However, now that I have learned to experiment into other ethnic and cultures' foods I have really loved to eat (more) and eat very healthy.

Try dried fruit, nuts, olives, various real fruit juices (w/o added sugars), cooking in different oils like olive, peanut and sesame, raw green peppers with ranch dressing (who knew?--what a taste zinger that is!). Mixing semi frozen raspberries in sugar free chocolate pudding. I could go on forever.

If you want I can give you some of my new found recipes that reawakened my taste buds. Email me at [email protected]

Now, I have a hard time stopping eating. Food that is good for you can also be very tasty. You just have to know how to make some magic in the kitchen.
  • Definitely. Like today.... my "regularly scheduled programming" was thrown off because I didn't have to be a work until 1pm. I'm usually at work at 9am. I got kinda busy this morning cleaning & whatnot, and before I knew it, the clock was at 11:30 & I hadn't even had breakfast. I just wasn't hungry (yet.) So I figured, OK, I'll just have nice healthy lunch today! (which I do everyday, but still).... and when I got to work, I realized I didn't have ANYTHING for lunch... and it was OK, because I STILL wasn't hungry. I finally ate 6 whole wheat & peanut butter crackers about an hour ago. It felt like TOO MUCH food!!

Good grief.
  • It is possible to be hungry and not realize it--to have no stomach pangs at all, but still be tired, or have a really short attention span, or be light headed, or cranky or frustrated or headache-y or to have elaborate food fantasies.

I am not saying this is true for everyone, but for me, on VLC diets I didn't realize I was hungry, I just thought dieting--resisting food--was really hard. I really didn't get that it was hunger that was making me b****y and stupid, I thought it was "dieting", all that self-denial and structure. The problem with this was that when I snapped and decided I couldn't live like that, I would go totally back to my old ways because I didn't realize there was a middle path, eating more calories but not free eating.

Basically, if you are on a VLC diet and have trouble staying on it--if you are going off plan more often than very, very occasionally--than I think you should consider if you are eating enough. For me, that made a huge difference.