No Excuses Week #3 -- Everyone Welcome!

You're on Page 4 of 6
Go to
  • Count me in as having split personality disorder too. I have an on one shoulder and a on the other, and they insist on arguing inside my head too.

I still have DH's cold but am going to the gym this morning because I can't stand NOT going. Cardio and shoulders, because I don't lift heavy on shoulders so it won't be too strenuous. Food has been really good despite the aforementioned telling me to comfort-eat, but he's been pretty easy to ignore lately. The scale is stalled out but that's probably because I haven't been to the gym for three days.

Barbara, I know you can do it!!
  • Yesterday was pretty darmed close to POP.

Although the food isn't 'good', the calories were fine. I did some abs and 35 mins of gym cardio.

The gym scale says I'm hovering at 147. I'll see that sturdier before I change that blasted ticker.
  • Yup, I've got it too - split personality disorder. In fact I was thinking to myself just the other day about this and came up with this description of myself - "When I'm good, I'm very, very good & when I'm bad, I'm very, very bad."

Although I'm trying to work on it. Cause' yesterday, I wasn't very, very good or very, very bad. I was just *eh* or so so.

My streak is over and I was not POP yesterday. But of course I have an excuse . No, I really have no excuse at all. Whatsovever.

This time I was cooking for the weekend. We're staying at friends Friday night and having dinner there. She asked me to bring one of her favorites that I often USED to make. So I made it and I sampled it - Wide Egg Noodles with Fried Cabbage and Onions. So simple and yet so unbelievably delicious. I ate some of it. Not tons mind you, but it wasn't on my plan.

Dinner did get kind of messed up last night though. As did my exercise. My big toe started killing me, just killing me Tuesday night. Wednesday morning it was inflamed, red and hot to the touch. By the time I got to work Wednesday afternoon I simply could not take it another second. I took a look and it was waaaay worse. Someone at work took a look at it and said it sounded and seemed just like something she had once had. Cellulitis. I called my doctor, he agreed. Ordered me up some antibiotic immediately and wants to see my today at noon. So that's the story. I left work early, took adantage of the time off and did some of today's cooking last night. I didn't eat my "work" snacks/dinner so I ate some of the cabbage & noodles. Again, not terrible, but not POP.

So that's the story.

Have a good one folks.
  • Thanks to everyone for the encouragement after Tuesday's debacle. I went cold turkey on the sugar / white flour as advised, and yesterday went great. POP, and even planned carefully to avoid eating during a meeting that went 12:30 - 2:30 (had my snack at noon, and lunch at 2:30). The food choices there weren't terrible, but they weren't great, and I'm trying to reestablish a truly OP mentality. I'm feeling steady today, too - did my 3.5 mile run and legs this morning. We'll see how the day goes!

EofAZ - I'm with you on the peanut butter. Usually not a problem, but now and then .... it just tastes so darned good!

Mel - congrats on getting right back on track. That's always my big challenge.

Barbara - good luck with the business lunch and its aftermath.

Robin - I have a theory. When we exert a ton of will power at some point in the week to avoid doing something (like you did with your baking earlier this week), it becomes even harder to exert will power again when we're faced with another challenge (like your cooking last night). It's like we've worked the will power muscle to failure and it's just too tired to do more heavy lifting! Just a theory...

Congrats to all the losers, by the way. SO inspiring!

Debbie
  • Ok--my food was good yesterday, but I did stray from the South Beach phase 1 for dinner last night (but it was our anniversary dinner!). Regardless of that, I'm down a half a pound, so all is good. Still not enough to fit into my skirt next weekend and the tailor called--they can't let it out. I may have to go shopping this weekend. We'll see. I do have that other black skirt, but it''s got a shiny sheen to it that doesn't look good with the blouse.
  • Allison - happy anniversary!

Yesterday had a little off - some kettle korn - but overall I was on plan even when faced with many, many temptations.

B - Greek Yogurt w/ strawberries, high fiber cereal
    S - Strawberries, Cherries, and Peaches
    L - Leftovers - stuffed chicken breast, grilled polenta and zucchini
    S - Whole wheat tortilla w/ laughing cow, veggies
    S - Popcorn
    D - Tofu and tons o veggie stirfry w/ brown and wild rice
    S - NSA Ice Cream in a cone
  • Okay, so last night the hunger monster took over my stomach. Why was I so hungry?? I know I shouldn't have eaten so much, but after dinner I had string cheese, popcorn, cherries, and a ww tortilla with pb. Luckily my weight was the same this morning so I don't think I did any damage. Maybe I was hungry because of TOM? Either way, no excuses! I shouldn't have done it.

Today will be more on plan. I hope it's not raining this afternoon so I can take a nice long walk with the dog. I slacked off on exercise last night (although I did at least take the dog for a walk in the morning). This morning at my occupational therapy session he had me do the arm bike for twice as long and use heavier weights, so I feel like I got some weight training done there! Even if it's just for my wrists and forearms. They're the part that needs the most strengthening anyway -- can't do anything else until they work.

Mandalinn - It took me a minute to figure out that NSA stood for No Sugar Added instead of National Security Agency! I was thinking, that must be some ice cream!
  • Quote: Yup, I've got it too - split personality disorder. In fact I was thinking to myself just the other day about this and came up with this description of myself - "When I'm good, I'm very, very good & when I'm bad, I'm very, very bad."
    That's me to a T. When I'm on plan, I'm POP! But when I'm off, it's a full-scale disaster! I really need some moderation in my life.

Robin: OMG, I love fried cabbage and noodles. We called it "Cabbage Noodles" and my mom always put some bacon in it. It was my favorite food growing up. For birthdays, my sister and I always got to pick what was for dinner that day and I ALWAYS choose Cabbage Noodles. Every year, for 15 years or however long my mom did the birthday dinner thing.
  • Well, yesterday is over, and while still a food minefield the rest of week is marginally better - I only have negotiate one meal instead of two!

B - protein panckes with a little nf yogurt and applesauce
    S - lf cottage cheese and stawberries - the end of them
    L - hmmm, a meeting with a plated lunch - I'm refusing dessert
    S - protein bar
    D - leftovers at home - either chicken or beef, broccoli
  • Quote: That's me to a T. When I'm on plan, I'm POP! But when I'm off, it's a full-scale disaster! I really need some moderation in my life.

Robin: OMG, I love fried cabbage and noodles. We called it "Cabbage Noodles" and my mom always put some bacon in it. It was my favorite food growing up. For birthdays, my sister and I always got to pick what was for dinner that day and I ALWAYS choose Cabbage Noodles. Every year, for 15 years or however long my mom did the birthday dinner thing.
    Oh Barbara, I'm so glad someone can relate to just how good those noodles are. When my friend asked me to make it, I was very reluctant to. I knew it was one of the things that I could not resist. And boy was I right. Funny about the birthday dinner - that's what we do around here. My girls get to pick whatever they want for dinner on their day. It's usually tacos for one of my girls, pesto pasta for another and steak for the third.

As far as the very, very good/bad statement - I see I'm not the only one. I don't know why I have to be that way. But, I'm a workin' on it. Don't know if I'll ever get there......

Jessica, I've got to tell you - I also thought Amanda's NSA was some kind of National Security Agency brand type ice cream. Oy.
  • Hey, Robin, be careful with your toe. DH had a similar episode two years ago and ended up in the hospital for two weeks and home on antibiotics for two more weeks. Very nasty stuff. His fever was high enough at one point that they packed his armpits and groin with ice. They never did ID the bug, but we're very careful with any break in the skin in his lower extremities now. The doc said he had poor venous return (he had discolorations around his ankles from mineral deposits but we didn't know what that meant) and so he's prone to reoccurrence.

Please see the doc!
  • Well I stayed 100% on plan yesterday but getting home late helped, I didn’t have time to get into trouble. I’m doing very well today, have my Fitday planned, printed and in my purse. I even played around with Saturday and Sunday’s menus; since that is where I’m struggling I figured I would give it more attention. I know once the weekend gets here I better be ready for it.

I was up early this morning and got my resistance workout in, just like I planned.
  • Robin - my dad had swelling and pain in his big toe, which he thought he'd just sprained or it was arthritis, but when my mom finally convinced him to go to the doc, it turned out he had gout! So definitely see the doc.
  • I have to figure out the weekend too. I'm tired of dropping three during the week, only to find them come Monday.

Today is a rest day for me. I feel kinda at loose ends but ... I shouldn't use any muscle groups again yet. Even my abs are a bit achy. I'll do cardio after work tomorrow and a full body workout in the evening. You need a rest day right?

Food's OK too.
  • Went to the store today and got some bananas and fresh strawberries. I use them to make smoothies, no sugar or sweetener needed.