+300 Weekly Thread #1121

You're on Page 5 of 8
Go to
  • Ratkity,
    Okie dokie, as soon as I get my bike, we'll plan a virtual trip and ride all over the place...ride baby ride!!!

Val, I love to hear you talk about the horses. When I was growing up my two main goal in life were to have a horse and a corvette. Well, needless to say, I haven't acheived either one of those goals although, I might be getting close to the horse.

Meta, isn't it great when things that used to fit...start fitting again. Congrats on the NSV's!!! That truly is brave of you to get rid of all those clothes. That just means you are so committed there is no turning back for you.

Nancy, you would of thought your yoga instructor would of been so happy for you, but alas, some people just can't understand how a person can gain so much weight, especially those who worship their bodies. Don't be hesitant about showing your picture. You've come so far and if people can't be happy for you...there's something wrong with them.

Brandnewme, so glad to hear the swelling is going down. Now just pick yourself up and get out of that pity party funk and get on program. I know you probably don't feel like it, but it's the best thing you can give to yourself right now. Who else is going to start improving your life if you don't? Come on girl, we're all here for you!!!!

Goingtolose, have fun camping!

Battle, Catherine
    , the changing of the matterss did help. I also took so alleve and that helped too. For some reason I'm so antsy when I go to bed I can't hold still and then plus the pain..it's almost hopeless...but it was better.
    Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one going thru it.

to all the rest...Hi <waving>

Last night I crumbled. I had some popcorn and chocolate. Not alot but enough. I had been craving for days so I gave in. But I think that is the best thing to do instead of going thru the cravings. So today, back on track. Tomorrow, going out shopping and getting all my healthy, delicious, yummy lifestyle change foods.
    Debbie
  • NANCY, I guess she just didn't 'get it.' It's kind of like our choice in other things - partners, music, careers. People are very different and we don't all 'get' eachother, especially if our backgrounds are different. If she hasn't been there, she just doesn't understand. It's her hang up, not yours. Try not to take it too personally.

If a person is strongly possessed of the need to rescue animals, they may not understand a farmer who raises them for food. One persons life may be wholey devoted and focused on being an astronaut, and that person totally doesn't understand the other who is totally devoted and focused on growing a perfect rose. Which of these is wrong or a bad person? None, they just don't "get" the others. They haven't been in their shoes and they don't understand. Your yoga instructor has probably had a focus and obsession with her health since a young age, not a bad thing, but she just doesn't understand anyone who isn't equally obsessed.

Or, you've just run across a b***h. In which case, what do you care whether the dense one doesn't 'get it'? YOU get it. WE get it. Those first folks you showed it too understood your challenge and conquest. So ploop on her bad attitude.

Not every appreciates accomplishments equally, either. My hero is George Morris, one of the greatest riders ever, to my mind. A demanding, sometimes rude, intimidating man. But a gift to the horse world and an idol to me. But I live in Cleveland, home of the Cavaliers, home of that b-ball player... what's his name? Oh yeah - Something James. I couldn't care less. I absolutely don't give a CARP if that guy walks in to the same restaurant as me. Look at his accomplishments - he's GREAT, right? Super athlete, hero on the court, blah, blah, blah, BLAH, BLAH! I am not impressed. Do you think HE gives a hoot what I think? Um, probably not so much.

So, we can't expect everyone to understand our struggle or appreciate our victories. We can hold up the people the we truly admire and inspire us, respect OUR OWN accomplishments, appreciate good people (that would be us) and disregard those who don't matter, are detrimental or simply worthless in our lives (that would be certain yoga princesses and b-ball persons.) I believe the majority of people, even those who don't quite get it, support and appreciate you. Heaven knows I do. (I'd much, MUCH rather meet you than bubba james!) So just try to blow off the others. Easier said than done, because we have somewhat fragile hearts and want everyone to respect and appreciate us, but the world is full of bubbas. Not worth your worry. Don't let them make you hide your success and pride. Don't let them deminish your accomplishments. Take away their lotus positions and balls, and what good are they? You, however are multi-dimensional in spirit and talent. You, are someone I admire.

LUSINJUSME - WELCOME ABOARD the BOARD!!! Awesome that you've come so far!! Do you have any regular exercising that you do? I have to warn you already that if you do, WYLLENN will be after you to come join us over there and help add to the group total. She's wonderful that way!
  • Welcome Losinjusme!! I hope to hear more about you. Another one of our own, Annie (Dogpal), has just gotten her lapband and is currently healing. We are cheering her on. Just hop on in and don't worry about personals. Soon, you'll get to know all of us!

Luv,
    Ratkity
  • Quote: Don't let them make you hide your success and pride, let them deminish your accomplishments. Take away their lotus positions and balls, and what good are they? You, however are multi-dimensional in spirit and talent. You, are someone I admire.
    Val said it perfectly!!!

Nancy, keep on going girl!
    Luv,
    Ratkity
  • Quote: Why Meta!! Ask any Cajun and they'll answer "Squirrel Sauce Picante!"

Luv,
    Rat

Ohhhhhh....right! Sounds lovely! Perhaps a side of Fieldmouse Frites on a bed of tender young oak twigs, with a frosted glass of Pond Water Citron?
  • Brandnew-I’m glad you’re seeing some quick results to the meds. That’s a good sign, a hopeful one that hopefully will allow you to get back on track. I hate that stupid ERR too.

Rat-I’m sure the weird cravings are just nerves. I go for my stress test tomorrow. I actually ate beets on sliced cabbage last night. That’s scary.

Valerie-They had all that drought and flood back in Oklahoma where these horses are too. $70,000 is a lot of garage sales and CampFire girl candy. I think they let boys in too now, just not when I was there. I remember getting to that 7 day mark after 2 days on 2 days off for months. It was like a major hump. It’s great that you are willing to help that woman at work. Tell her I went from cane to crutches to wheelchair, and I am now walking everywhere I want to, anytime I want to. I only use a cane in winter for walking on the ice. It’s got this little spike ice gripper on it. It can be done.

Nancy-I am hesitant to show people my before picture. It is so out of the normal experience for people that they just can’t fathom it. It puts pictures of me in their heads that I just don’t want people to have. People where I live now never saw me at my highest weight. There are some people (a cardiologist comes right to mind) who are so disgusted with people who are overweight that they basically treat us like we have a contagious disease. These same people are the ones that I most like to show what real hard work and discipline can get you. For those who have never had a struggle with weight or inactivity, they just have no idea what a battle we have to wage.

Meta-I’m still in territory that gained after getting married 19 months ago. It will be nice to pass that ½ way mark again, for the last time. I can gain 10 pounds in practically a day, but I refuse to lose it that quickly, so it will take me awhile to lose my marriage weight. I’ve still got around 40 pounds to go. I’d like to lose 30 by Christmas, but I’m not going to set that goal. I’ve never had trouble getting rid of clothes that are too big before. The biggest part is that it is time to get rid of his clothes that are too small. I’m keeping some of the t-shirts for myself, but he’s got stuff that is 10 sizes too small from college, and that stuff has to go. I have so much trouble getting those kinds of compliments. They made me very uncomfortable. The funny thing is since moving to Canada, no one here has seen me at my biggest, so I don’t get any compliments anymore. Now I’m kind of missing them. As I’m starting to lose again, I wonder when the first person will notice this time, and who it will be. My grandfather used to hunt for squirrel all the time. He’d start a fire in the leaves at the base of scrub oak trees to make them move so he could see them. Scrub oak don’t really drop all their leaves when they go brown in fall, and so it makes great camouflage. That shotgun with bird shot that he used to hunt squirrel was the gun that my baby brother threatened to show up with in Canada if the hubby didn’t treat me right.

Debbie-When my back really hurts, I sleep upside down on the bed. Don’t ask me why that helps, but it does. I had popcorn yesterday too, I just had pickles slices on top, and a few other weird things that I just can’t bring myself to mention. It was practically like eating Bertie Botts.

I think my stomach has settled enough to have some breakfast. I have my stress test tomorrow, so I guess I’m stressing out a bit. I’m craving dirt which is beyond weird. I have no idea how many calories to write down for that.
  • Hi ladies,

No time for personals now, but I want to thank all of you for your support and send my good wishes to all. Congrats to the losers and congrats to those who are having a good OP day. Hugs to those of you who are struggling.

I am proud of myself and relieved about my super-bad day the other day. It was the biggest binge I've had since starting my loss. I was so sick yesterday morning as a result, but my self-care allowed me to recover and normalize quickly. I can stay the course. I'm completely back on track with eating and exercise.

Today is another of the regular weekly challenges. It's girls night tonight, and that means a potluck of delicious foods. I need to eat as lightly as possible without setting off starvation alarm bells so that I can enjoy a largish meal tonight. I'm bringing dessert, and it's going to be fruit salad.

Have a great day, everyone.
  • Quote: Ohhhhhh....right! Sounds lovely! Perhaps a side of Fieldmouse Frites on a bed of tender young oak twigs, with a frosted glass of Pond Water Citron?
    hehehehe Meta.. I laughed too until my Cajun friend's family served it to me in her greatgrandparents' house. Her GGPs spoke english just for me (instead of 18th century french). They said (in all seriousness) that they took out the heads so I wouldn't freak out. Sorta tasted like (yup, gonna say it) CHICKEN!

Luv,
    Rat
  • OMG! OMG! I said 'oak twigs' and then Catherine said 'oak trees'. I'm a friggin' natural.

I just may be the next Rachel Ray of rodent cuisine. Who knew?
  • Nancy, print out and frame Valerie's comments. She said it beautifully.

This journey is about us valuing and appreciating ourselves, and giving ourselves what we need. Validation from others is gravy. Some will give it, some won't. But if someone doesn't appreciate us or understand our struggles, or is disgusted by us, it is not time to go into the hidey-hole until we are sure we are going to get exactly what we want from all other people. It'll never happen. Confidence is an inside job.
  • Nancy, you've had great feedback about your experience from all who responded. I wanted to add a few thoughts.

Obesity is nothing less than sacrilege in Western culture, and the entire multi-billion dollar diet industry does nothing to combat the notion that obesity is a moral failing. As others have said, it seems clear that your yoga instructor simply has no life experience or frame of reference for understanding people who become morbidly obese. In perhaps the same way, I don't understand alcoholism or gambling addiction or a degree of hopelessness that leads to a suicide attempt. However, I know what I don't know and I look at - and not through - all people.

We all instinctively know who is looking at us, and who is looking through us. Your instructor may be a shallow twit, but in my experience most of us humans are pretty much the same - just people with our own story doing our best to make it through life. She asked you a question about your before picture, and while it was a wonky question to be sure, it shows she thought about you and your changes after you first spoke.

Perhaps you have an opportunity to educate her, enrich her even, just through patiently and consistently shining in all the ways that we here can see that you shine everyday. You could leave her with something that she may never get otherwise in this warped, weight obsessed culture.
  • Thanks everyone – especially Valerie – for your kind words about my picture issue with the yoga teacher. In her defense, I have to say that she has never been anything but accommodating and encouraging in class, and that there are two of us that are on the larger side and she goes out of her way to make us feel comfortable. I know that I shouldn’t let how other people view me to in any way diminish how I think about myself. There is often a gap between what we know we should know and our emotional reaction to a situation. It was probably more a case of her not knowing how to react. Also from her own admission in a previous conversation she used to be known as an “ice queen” but has worked really hard recently to change that part of herself. I think the biggest lesson for me here is not to not show people the picture, but to be more ready on how to deal with it. I just wasn’t prepared for such an awkward reaction, and now I will be more so. Meta – What you said about being able to educate and enrich peoples’ understanding of what overweight people face is a great one to remember.

OK – quick question. If I were to use the term “3-point turn” is there anyone here who doesn’t know what I am referring to? The guy at the car dealership this morning didn’t and I had thought that was a general driving vocabulary term.

Battle – I think the most important thing about this journey isn’t whether or not you slip, but whether you can get back on track and how quickly it takes you – so at getting right back on track!

Catherine – Your cravings are sounding mighty odd. Dirt? Hmmmm… I hope you don’t get too stressed out over the stress test.

Debbie – The 100-calorie bags of popcorn are one of my saviors for days when I am looking for salty and crunchy stuff, along with soy crisps. I think it really makes sense to work the things you crave into your plan.

losingjusme – Welcome! You have done a fantastic job so far!

Meta – That is great that people are noticing and that you are fitting into old clothes!

Valerie – Congratulations on being one week in! You are so right that the journey starts with that first week. I also need to start looking at certain items as poison, because that is exactly what they are. It’s also not so much how they affect me at the moment, but what they do a few hours later or the next day. They make me want more!

Brandnewme – Now that you have had your pity party it is time to move forward! I am glad your fluid levels are normalizing.
  • G'evening all!

My energy level was at an all time low today. I know exactly what caused to too! For the past 2 days, I've made poor food choices. I ate cookies instead of lunch and supper yesterday and bday cake at work today... I'm still not going over my points (if I calculated right), but talk about carb crashing! ugh. I *almost* talked myself out of bicycle riding tonight. I did go out and ride for 8 miles. I was riding slow too. I felt better afterwards (and smelled better after a hot shower! hehe).

As far as educating people about weight loss for the morbidly obese, I guess I'm a bit on the cynical side. I don't even try when I get an awkward reaction. That's why I don't post anywhere, but on the 300+ threads.

Hugs and Luv to all!
    Rat
  • Val, I love it when you talk about your horses. I grew up on a farm but unfortunately, we only had horses once and they were just boarding with us for the winter. The first time I ever got to go for a ride was when I was 12, at girl scout camp. I absolutely loved it! I don't know that I'll ever have horses of my own (I'd love to, and live on a farm again), but one of my goals is to get to go on another beautiful trail ride once I have lost a lot of this weight. Congrats on 7 days OP! You're kickin' some butt now!

Nancy, you've come a long ways. You've completely changed how you live your life, you've gotten out of a relationship that wasn't what you needed or wanted, and you are a role model for many. That said, some people simply aren't able to comprehend how we get to where we're at. We must have some sort of reason, right? I'd almost be flattered that she didn't think it was just due to laziness, like a lot of society thinks these days. Please don't be hesitant to strut your stuff. You certainly deserve to!

Meta, congrats on your clothing NSVs! My wardrobe has gotten unbelievably small, so I am looking forward to when I can comfortably reclaim my clothes. I got rid of a lot my clothes before, when I'd lost a few sizes. It felt very liberating.

Welcome Losingjusme! We're glad to have you here! These ladies (and John!) are some of the best people you'll ever meet.

Debbie, sometimes you just have to give in to the cravings, because otherwise it completely takes over your mind. It's like a subliminal message playing over and over, all day long. "Those reports you asked for.." 'eat me.. EAT ME!' "will be there by the end of the day." Good luck with tomorrow! You can do it!

Catherine, good luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes! You're such an inspiration to all of us. That, and you constantly make me laugh. Sometimes when I am down in the dumps, all it takes is reading posts from you lovely ladies. Thank you!

Battle, I'm glad you're back on track. Most often for me, it's that first day back that kills me. Good luck and have fun at the girls night out!

Ratkitten, hopefully tomorrow will be better for you. At least you know what's causing the fatigue, so you can work on getting back on track tomorrow.

Annie, my love and thoughts are with you. I'm so proud of you! You can do this!

Ammi, thanks for updating us! How're things going for you?

Well ladies (and gentleman!), pity party is over. I've discovered that a lot of my problem isn't necessarily how much I am eating. I'm not eating enough through the day (like, back to my old habit of not eating 3 meals + snacks), but what I am eating is pure crap. Time to get real. The fluid loss is wonderful, but I have to get to the root of the problem rather than treating the symptoms.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not, but DH and I moved back in with my parents at the end of July to help my mom with my dad. He's disabled and is needing a lot more care than she's able to give him now. So it's harder because I have to cook for my parents as well, and they are very set in their ways. DH loves it because he enjoys the 'country cooking' that goes on, but he's gained quite a bit of weight too. I have to do low sodium, low fat, unrefined carbs. The others would be perfectly happy living off of chicken fried steak, heaps of garlic mashed potatoes and country gravy, with a huge piece of corn on the cob and chocolate cake for every meal. Realistically I can't afford to pay for two different sets of groceries and cook two different meals, so I'm going to have to learn to be creative. Wish me luck!
  • Nancy -- a CAR dealer didn't know what a 3 point turn is?

Valerie -- I used to live in Michigan, but now it's Illinois. Still close enough to come kick your butt!

OH NO! It's almost the end of the month and I've forgotten next month's exercise thread! By the time you read this, I will have posted it, and you KNOW I'm going to encourage you all to join us in our quest to exercise 200,000 minutes (yes, two-hundred-THOUSAND minutes!).

Yes, you too! Everyone is welcome to just write down their minutes and join us in moving and shaking!!!