Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2000, 09:02 AM   #16  

Homemade Jell-O
1 1/4 c of premade unsweetened kool-aid
1 package knox gelatin
splenda to taste

drizzle knox gelatin over kool-aid in sauce pan. Let stand a few minutes. Warm till all is dissolved. Add splenda. chill till set in frige

top with whipped cream if you like.
I will try this soon also. I keep hearing how bad the aspartame is in the pre-made jello so this is an alternative.
snow
Old 12-18-2000, 05:41 AM   #17  

Here's a few recipes. Some are tried nd some are not.

Steak and Ale Sauteed Mushrooms -- CopyKat Recipes
This is an easy to make appeitzer. You can make a larger quantity of this, and place in a crock pot for serving at a larger party.

1 lb. mushrooms
4 Tbsp. Butter
4 Tbsp. Margarine
1/4 C. chopped onion
2 tsp. beef base
1 tsp. garilc powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1 C. red burgundy wine

Wash mushrooms in hot water. Melt together the butter and margarine, add beef base, onion, garlic powder and black pepper. Simmer mushrooms in butter mixture until soft. Add red burgundy wine.

Green beans and Mushroom AuGratin -- CopyKat Recipes
1 9 ounce pkg. frozen French style beans
1 C. milk
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. flour
1/2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
1 can of sliced mushrooms

Cook beans, drain. Make sauce of milk, salt, and flour. Stir 1/4 cup cheese into sauce. Add mushrooms including liquid. Combine with beans into a shallow buttered dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Fresh Herb and Garlic Chicken
I go this off the whole fryer bag….it was yummy!

1 whole fryer
4 cloves fresh garlic
1 tsp. fresh thyme
2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary
2 tsp salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2-1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
1-1/2 Tbsp. red wine or gourmet vinegar (I used wine)
Olive oil

Finely mince garlic, thyme and rosemary leaves (I used dried just fine). In small bowl, blend garlic, herbs, salt, pepper, olive oil and wine. Loosen skin around body of chicken by moving fingers between the skin and the meat; rub herb mixture under loosened skin; rub remaining mixture inside cavity of chicken. Place chicken on rack in roasting pan. Lightly brush with chicken with olive oil. Bake uncovered in 325 oven approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with fork.

I have also adjusted a sugar cookie recipe from the Better Homes and garden cook book to be SB legal.

SB Legal Sugar Cookie Cutouts
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup shortening
¾ cup fructose
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 to 2 cups SGWW flour
dash salt

Beat butter and shortening on medium to high speed 30n seconds. Add fructose, baking powder and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour. Divide dough in half. If necessary, cover and chill dough for 3 hours or until easy to handle.

On a lightly floured surface, roll half at a time to 1/8 inch thick. Using a 2-1/2 inch cookie or biscuit cutter, cut into desired shared. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 oven 7 to 8 minutes or until the edges are firm and bottom are very lightly browned. Cool on rack.

I have about 30 cutters of varying sizes and used all of them with success. Smaller cookies should be baked for a shorter time. Also, my DH asked if I would press some crunched pecans into the cookies before baking. And that was a huge success. We're taking some with us for Christmas so we can stay on track….

Tagine (Moroccan Chickpea Stew)
Not in season yet, but I'll submit it now before I forget or lose the recipe….

Vegetable oil (I'll probably go with olive)
1 15 oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 small onion
1 small summer squash
1 small zucchini
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt

Slice the veggies. Saute the onion in olive oil until it is translucent and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add zucchini and squash and cook until they also begin to brown, another five minutes or so. Add tomatoes, chickpeas salt and cumin. Cover and simmer 10 - 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve over warm couscous.

Old 12-21-2000, 06:17 PM   #18  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Spinach Cheese Pie (from Fran McCullough's Low Carb Cookbook)

2 (10 oz) packages frozen whole-leaf spinach, defrosted (I use chopped spinach)
2 TB butter
1 bunch scallions, including the firm green, chopped (about 3/4 c)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
6 eggs, beaten well
1 (15 oz) container whole-milk ricotta
1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled
1 TB chopped dill
1/4 c chopped parsley
pinch of grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for the pan

Preheat the oven to 350F. Let the spinach drain in a colander in the sink. The easiest way to get all the excess moisture out of it is to line your hand with a double thickness of paper towels and squeeze handfuls of spinach dry. Then chop it and set aside.

Melt the butter in a large skillet; when it's foaming, add the scallions and chopped onion. Cook them over medium heat until they're soft, then add the spinach and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring from time to time.

Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowls and whisk in the ricotta. Stir in the remaining ingredients, then oil a 13x9-inch baking dish well, including the sides. Mix the spinach with the egg-cheese mixture, taste for seasoning, and pour into the pan.

Bake the pie for 30 to 40 minutes, until the moisture disappears and the top has dappled golden spots. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 8, 9g protein, 16.9 g fat, 5 g carb per serving (according to the book).

These are recipes my Mom use to make when we were younger, two of my favorites! They were originally made in a baked pie crust, which you can do if so desired, just make sure crust is SB legal. I've made it without crust with great results. The only thing I changed in both quiche recipes was the WW flour, it originally called for "flour". I haven't made either since starting SB, but since I dug them out, I will now!!

CRAB QUICHE

1/2 c mayo
2tbl WW flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c milk
6oz. crabmeat, drained
1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
1/2 c chopped green onion

Spray a 9" quiche or pie pan with nonstick spray.

Combine mayo, flour, eggs and milk and mix thoroughly. Stir in crabmeat, cheese and onion. Pour into quiche plate and bake 350F for 30-40 minutes or until firm in the center.

HAMBURGER QUICHE

3/4 pound lean ground beef
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/8tsp allspice
3/4tsp salt
1/8tsp pepper
1/8tsp garlic powder
1/3c chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
1Tbl olive oil
1/2c mayo
1/2c milk
2 eggs, beaten
1tbl cornstarch (use arrowroot instead or 2tbl ww flour)
1 1/2c shredded Cheddar cheese

Spray a 9" quiche or pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.

Brown ground beef in skillet; drain well. Add seasoning, and set aside. Saute onion and green pepper in oil. Add to meat mixture.

Combine mayo, mik eggs and cornstarch (or arrowroot); mix throughly. Add this mix to meat mixture. Stir in half of the cheese. Pour into plate, and sprinkle with remaining cheese. bake at 375F for 35-45 minutes, or until firm in the center.

Old 12-24-2000, 12:45 PM   #19  

Pizza Crust

2 cups SGWW pastry flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp butter
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp instant yeast

Combine yeast with the flour. Add all other ingredients and mix together until smooth. Knead for a few minutes. Place in a greased bowl and cover with greased wax paper. Place in refrigerator for 30-60 minutes. Roll out dough on floured surface. Place dough on pizza pan, cover with favorite topping and bake at 400 degrees F for 15 - 20 minutes.

The original recipe was from the Brennan's book Sugar Bust for Life Part 2. I made adjustments to the amount of milk used and type of yeast. I found the instant yeast easier to use as it can be mixed right into the flour. Enough dough for one large pizza. Can be kept in fridge for several hours before rolling out.
Old 12-30-2000, 04:16 AM   #20  

Broccoli Timbales

1 1/2lbs broccoli
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2tsp salt
1/8tsp pepper
1 Tbl chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 325F
Cook broccoli in a little water until tender. Chop broccoli and drain well. Use 2 cups for this recipe.

In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Beat with a whisk until well blended. Add broccoli and parsley and pour into buttered 1qt mold or individual molds, filling them approximately two-thirds full. Place molds in a pan of hot water which reaches halfway up the side of molds. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 45 minutes depending on the size of the molds. When ready to serve, uinmold, if desired and serve immediately.

Sauerkraut Onion Rolls

1tsp dry yeast
1/2 stp honey (or agave nectar)
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 cups WW flour
2 TBL melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sauerkraut, drained
2 cups chopped onions
1/4 tsp caraway seeds
2 tbl oil

Dissolve yeast and honey in lukewarm water and set aside to activate for 5 minutes. Put flour into a large bowl, make well in center and pour yeast mixture into the well. Add melted butter and salt and mix well. Knead for 10 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth and leave to reise for 1 hour.

While dough is rising, mix the sauerkraut, onions, and caraway seeds. Fry together in oil for 8 minutes. When the dough has risen, roll it out as thin as you can (1/4 to 1/2 inch thick). Cut the dough in 5-inch squares. Put a heaping tablespoon of the sauerkraut-onion mixture in the middle of each square. Fold into a triangular turnover and pinch edges together. Place on buttered baking sheet and let rise 30 minutes. Preheat over to 400F and bake for 25 minutes. Serve warm.

Yields 8 rolls.

I've made these twice and can't wait to make them again - I think they are yummy! They sure are easy!

1 egg
1/3 cup honey (I use agave nectar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 c WW pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325F. Spray a 8x8 inch pan with spray.

In a medium size bowl beat together egg and honey (or agave). Stir in vanilla.

In a small bowl, blend flour and baking powder (it says to sift together, but this book is old and I don't think it's necessary). Stir into egg mixture and spread in prepared pan. Sprinkle with pecans and press into batter lightly. Bake in middle shelf of oven for 18-20 minutes.

Cut into 12 bars and cool in pan.

*Please note, using honey in this recipe will give you 16 tsp worth of honey,and the servings amount to 12, meaning this would give you over a tsp of honey in each bar. It's best to use agave nectar if you have it.

PLEASE SEE THE INFORMATION ABOUT HONEY & GRAMS OF SUGAR ON THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD!

[This message has been edited by Debelli (edited 12-30-2000).]
Old 03-05-2001, 05:27 PM   #21  

Just moving this up!
Old 05-03-2001, 02:23 PM   #22  

moving up
Old 09-06-2001, 08:51 AM   #23  

Moving Up!
Old 11-04-2001, 03:10 PM   #24