Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #16  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehshort1 View Post
So one of the biggest reasons for losing weight was that my husband and I wanted to have a baby.
That was me as well! Also like you, I was a little bummed that I was so close to a major goal that is now being put off until later (I was only 12 pounds away from no longer being obese), but of course it's all for a good cause.

I'm going on 17 weeks now and haven't had many issues with cravings taking over. I definitely have them, but haven't found myself binging; I think I can credit staying mindful by making continual use of my food journal. Of course that may change in the coming months so shouldn't be bragging too soon! I'm sure you'll be fine with MFP, as it sounds like you already have a great mindset going into this.

Luckily I went through the morning sickness phase pretty unscathed, only dealing with nausea itself but not the vomiting. I haven't changed my plan a whole lot aside from allowing myself to eat more and cutting out caffeine. I did find myself getting pretty ravenous around the second and third months, apparently when I was building the placenta? It freaked me out a little to be more than ready for lunch at 10am when I'd already had a full breakfast at 8am! I ended up eating some extra mini-meals to get by and had to tell myself not to feel guilty over it, pregnancy requires extra nourishment!

I go in for my second centering class this week and get my first ultrasound next week! And I remember how anxious I was for my first appointment, as I wasn't able to get mine in for over a whole month when I made the call! My OB-GYN gave me the greenlight to gain 30 pounds, but my nurses would like me to try for 11-20 if possible because of my weight. I'm hoping I can stick with that but we'll see what happens.

Good luck to you, and congratulations once again!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #17  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

Thank you Elladorine! How much have you gained so far (if you don't mind my asking)? I agree that journaling and keeping yourself accountable are the best ways to not go overboard. So excited! I'm noticing I'm getting hungry more too. Luckily I work at a hotel so I just sneak into the kitchen and grab a milk carton or a nonfat yogurt! Yum! Still working on upping my fruit intake, but I really can't stand fruit! Ick! lol.
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #18  

No problem! As for what I've gained so far, I was at 215 before my very last cycle so I count that as my pre-pregnancy weight, but had gone down to 210 by the time I realized I was pregnant and needed to stop losing. I'm currently at 215 again (now going on 18 weeks) and am bracing myself for when I inevitably go over 220 (a major, major set point that I'd only managed to get under twice before now). Heh, and to think I was soo excited about getting down to 198 by June/July, but that'll have to wait until sometime next year.

By the way, if you want to check out pregnancy weight gain calculators and charts, here is a link to my most favorite one by far. I like it because it breaks everything down into a rough weekly estimate and is also something you can print out and discuss with your doctor.

Oh, and have you tried making fruit smoothies? I couldn't stand fruit at first myself but somehow blending frozen berries and bananas in with greek yogurt, protein powder, and various other ingredients (flax, chia seeds, etc.) for breakfast made it tolerable so I could get some in my diet. I eventually adapted to eating fresh, whole fruits and now enjoy them, but it took a while.

I've got that first ultrasound this afternoon so I'm a little extra excited (and nervous) today! Hope everything's going well for you so far, keep us posted.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #19  

Elladorine! Thanks for the advice and info! Will definately put that chart to good use! I like the smoothie idea and am definately gonna give it a try!

Hope the ultrasound went well! Let us know!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #20  

No problem! And remember that you can always add a little sweetener (stevia, monk fruit extract, splenda, etc.) to the smoothies if they're too tart for you (my main old issue with fruit). I don't even need to add sweetener anymore! I love using a Magic Bullet for them but any blender will do.

I just got back from the ultrasound a little bit ago, everything went great and we found out we're having a boy!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #21  

Yay! Congrats! Have you picked out a name yet?! So happy for you!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #22  

Thank you! We're still talking over names!